Chapter 13: Falling stars
29 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dinner was a rushed affair, everyone grabbing a quick bite from the spread on the kitchen table, rushing around to prepare for the celebration. Though not a full fledged ceremony, with as many rules and rites during the proceedings as the monthly observances, there were still plenty of preparations to make. The dehydrated holy milk-ash mixture had to be prepared once again for drawing the sacred mandalas around the great yew, rather than at the ley line intersections used on the new moon nights. Ceremonial garb donned, traditional foods prepared and packed, and the more mundane, like blankets for the children who fall asleep to lay on. 

 

Cows in their pastures had begun idling around the yew tree during the day, some grazing, many just sitting, waiting contentedly. Many would arrive later, once the meteor shower had begun. Once Ceit and her family arrived at the cow’s holy tree, Keris began tracing out the mandala, Eistra and the aunts assisting, etching in the relevant constellations, swirling and intertwined with the larger framework. The star maiden Sabea with her rain water jar and flowing long hair was still high in the sky, but Xia’s namesake, the cloven, fanged horse Xi had shifted over the horizon with the passing of spring. Summer constellations spun out in the design, the tight cluster of stars called the Jhe sisters twinkled merrily together. Just visible over the planet’s rings was the ghost orchid Vaya’ai with her human heart exposed, also known as the heart of summer, its central star a deep red. The two moons circled each other in the design, the smaller one, Noctua, a pale silvery blue in the sky above.

 

Keris approached the yew tree, its trunk thick, with the appearance of many smaller trees absorbed in one massive core. Oongx’s thigh bone burned, a void black blaze in her hand as she squeezed through the narrow opening at the tree’s base, entering to light it up from the inside. Usually such a bonfire would obscure the night sky with its brilliance, but the black fire originating from Oongx’s bones was unique, arcane. The yew’s hollow interior formed a chimney, sucking up air like a wind tunnel to emit sparks of flame and glittering smoke from above. She quickly stepped back out as the fire caught, flaring from the tree outward to catch the mandalas aflame as well. Aparational constellations came to life, swirling script released from two dimensions by the leaping flames. Oongx’s own constellation animated, her astral form rearing in the air, irradiant. Ceit watched the star Gustella flicker at the tip of Oongx’s tail, swinging playfully as she bucked and reared. The milky way swirled in her belly. The phantasmal danced among those assembled, both humans and cows alike, teasingly. 

 

The horn of holy koumiss made its way around the family, passed from hand to hand. Ceit politely declined when it was offered, Eistra jumping to take it from her, passing her some pitted yew berries to snack on instead. 

 

The peak of the shower was predicted to be just two hours away, but already a couple meteors were lighting up the sky, streaking from their radiant point in between Oongx’s starry horns. Luth strummed a stringed cow skull instrument, its low thrum echoing lowly in the glade, eerily alone. Puffs of iridescent golden pollen were released from the yew’s inferno to waft overhead as others began to play music as well, resonating with depth the more were added. Cows were standing up now, trotting around the performers, bouncing joyfully among the still swirling constellatory apparitions. Oongx’s celestial form danced with them, twirling among her descendants. 

 

Shooting stars were fast paced and thick in the sky as the zenith hour approached, the occasional fireball meteor with its long colorful tail leaving a streak behind before fading away. Ceit sprawled on the fluffy blanket Eistra had brought for her, of course with a pillow to accompany her. It was nice to be cared for. Xia eyed her pillow jealously, she smiled smugly at him. Luth sat next to her, leaning back on her arms with her face to the sky, their baby brother with his head in her lap, fast asleep. Ceit reached over to stroke his dark curls. Looked like he would be taking after their mother as well, she thought. 

 

A cow huffed behind her, settling down onto its stomach with an ungainly lurch. The cows had been much more attentive to her since the thunderstorm a couple weeks ago, Ceit could only assume that Oongx had passed along her intent to take Ceit as an acolyte in her electric messages. She wondered what the cows made of her, if they approved.

 

She breathed in deeply, wishing this moment could last forever. The fireflies had come out as well, shrouding them in a sea of stars below as well as above. Most of the instruments had been set aside once the shower had really started, but a lone cousin strummed Luth’s guitar, humming softly. Oongx followers didn’t usually believe in an after-world or heaven, but if she did, this is what it would be.

1