Chapter 1: Weary Travelers
18 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
If you voted for Option 3 to the previous chapter’s question, choose an option below.
  • Specific Timeframe (How Many Years Before/After) Votes: 0 0.0%
  • General Timeframe (Before or After Previous Chapter) Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 0

"Master… why are we here?"

 

A heroic youth wiped the back of his hand across his brow in the blistering desert heat. His long jet-black hair sat slightly past his shoulders. He had a pair of dull gray pupils and a full-body tan. In terms of clothing, he only wore a dark gray tunic and trousers. At his waist, he held a sheathed sword. Despite the lack of desert gear, he only seemed slightly inconvenienced by the sand-whipping wind. Dripping with sweat, his arm muscles glistened under the sun's rays. His physique was large, much larger than the one whom he was addressing.

 

Hearing his disciple's words, the heroic youth's Master stopped walking and turned toward his disciple, smiling gently. He wore a large woven bamboo hat. Strapped to his back was an old ebony box half a meter in length and a hand’s span in width, the box gave off a light and pleasant fragrance of cherry blossoms and maple sap.

 

The Master's figure was the complete opposite of the heroic youth. The outline of his white silk robes with silver embroidery showed a slim figure. His appearance held an androgynous appeal; his smooth milky skin, small pink lips, delicate hands, large brown eyes, and long white hair could easily cause others to mistake him to be female if not for the Adam's apple on his throat.

 

In an amused tone, the Master addressed his disciple.

 

"Silly disciple, I told you this already. Master has somewhere he needs to go. I wanted to go alone, but you and your Junior Sister were insistent on following… Look at your Junior Sister. Huinai hasn't let out a word of complaint the entire journey."

 

With his free hand, the master gestured with his palm up toward the lady standing on his left.

 

Sitting at a height that was slightly shorter than her master, the woman referred to as “Huinai” wore an expressionless gaze. Cradling a sheathed sword in her arms, she wore a white and silver silk dress and a large bamboo hat. It would be easy to mistake her and her Master as a pair of siblings or even lovers due to their matching dress.

 

She had a delicate look that made others want to protect her. A pair of deep ocean blue pupils could be seen in her large eyes coupled with long curly eyelashes. Her face was a cream color and unblemished. Her hands looked like they could barely hold onto her sword.

 

"Why wouldn't she be in a better condition? You haven't sealed her powers as you did mine."

 

The heroic youth grumbled with a wronged expression. Before his Master could respond, the lady beside him spoke up instead.

 

"When Master saved me from the Mortal World, he named me 'Hui' in 'brightness' and 'Nai' in 'endure' and was even magnanimous enough to bestow his surname 'Shi' upon me. Master's heart is vaster than your imagination. It's clear that Master wants you to suffer like a mortal to further your cultivation. Master's kindness is wasted on a brainless disciple like you."

 

Shi Huinai's voice became colder as she rebuked her Senior Brother on her Master's behalf. The heroic youth shivered under his Junior Sister's disapproving glare. Smiling lightly, the Master placed a hand on her shoulder to calm her down and addressed her in a gentle tone.

 

"Huinai. Master thanks you for your good intentions, but you shouldn't rebuke your Senior Brother so harshly. It was enough to point out his wrongs; there is no need to call him brainless."

 

Shi Huinai closed her eyes and bowed her head. With an emotionless tone, she replied.

 

"This disciple is enlightened by Master's teachings."

 

Hearing her response, he turned toward the heroic youth.

 

"Ren'er, I know it's been tough on you but your Junior Sister is right. It might be hard now, but you will truly feel the benefits afterward. You've been at a bottleneck for the last decade and unable to break through to the next major realm due to your lack of Dao Comprehension. This experience will help you."

 

Hearing these words, the heroic youth held a conflicted expression but continued to trudge on in silence through the blistering desert heat. With a gentle smile, the Master followed his sullen disciple with Shi Huinai following in his steps.

 

"Finally!"
 

The heroic youth exclaimed in joy as he climbed over the sand mound and witnessed their destination. A grand city stood in the middle of the desert. Walls of hardened clay stood towering over the desert sand. A large gate served as the main entrance to the sprawling desert city. Guards holding spears were wrapped in light cloth and turbans to keep themselves from the heat

 

"The capital of the desert…"

 

Holding his bamboo hat, the Master expressionlessly took in the sight of the massive city. Shi Huinai stood at her master's side quietly watching her Master's actions with a cold expression on her face. The heroic youth started sprinting toward the gate in the distance.

 

Chuckling at his disciple's actions, the Master walked forward with measured steps.

 

The heroic youth barely made it to the back of the queue before he collapsed face-first into the sand. The youth was dead tired. His body was worn out and he had pushed past his limits. Although he was used to pain, it had been many years since he needed to fulfill his bodily needs. The combination of fatigue, muscle failure, thirst, and hunger was too much even for him, someone who had cultivated for a long time. Right as he fell, a voice sounded in the air.

 

"Make way, make way! The 5th Princess is arriving home! Make way, make way!"

 

Hearing this, the people in the queue scrambled to the side. Some kindhearted people, seeing the collapsed youth in the queue, pulled him to the side. Heavily armed guards riding armored horses galloped past. A wheeled carriage pulled by two Arabian horses glided across the sand as if it was on solid ground. Behind the carriage were more armored guards to hold the rear. When the convoy couldn't be heard from the gate anymore, the queue was formed once again in an orderly manner. Shi Huinai walked over to the heroic youth on the ground and gave his side a firm kick.

 

"Ack!"

 

The heroic youth rolled over on his back and clutched his right side. An old man wearing a keffiyeh spoke up with a concerned tone.

 

"Miss, you shouldn't treat him so rough. He seems to be at the end of his ropes. Here, have something to drink, young man."

 

Walking over to the heroic youth, the old man uncapped his water skin. Helping the youth into a sitting position, he gave his water skin. Nodding in thanks, the heroic youth drank a few gulps before handing it back.

 

Wearing his bamboo hat, the Master walked up to the old man and said his thanks.

 

"Thank you for helping my disciple. You are a kind man."

 

The old man looked up in the direction of the voice and was stunned.

 

"No problem, young… man."

 

The old man finished his sentence after he saw the Adam's apple on the androgynous figure's neck.

 

"If you need any help in the city, feel free to approach me anytime."

 

After offering his promise, the old man walked back to his merchant caravan which was currently presenting their identification to the guards and having their goods inspected.

 

"What a nice old man."

 

The heroic youth commented with content in his inflection.

 

"Song Ren."

 

The heroic youth flinched at his Master's voice. Whenever his master said his full name, he knew there was something serious. Song Ren immediately got on his knees and stared at his Master like an abandoned puppy in hopes that he wouldn't be punished harshly. His Master reached out his hand toward the heroic youth. Song Ren closed his eyes and braced for impact, but the physical punishment that he anticipated never came. Instead, the hand began rubbing his head and messed up his hair. Sweat droplets shone under the sun's rays as they fell from his hair onto the dry sandy terrain below.

 

"You did well."

 

Withdrawing his hand, the androgynous figure stepped back and looked at Song Ren with a gentle smile. For a few moments, there was only silence as Song Ren found himself at a loss for words. He began to choke up as he tried to speak.

 

"M-Master…"

 

Tears filled the astonished eyes and came out in streams, the heroic youth held his tanned arms up to wipe them away but they kept coming. The Master found himself at a loss as he stood awkwardly, not sure how to react. Shi Huinai's cold expression softened seeing her Senior Brother's vulnerable and pathetic state. Walking to his side, she placed a hand on his shoulder in silent comfort. After a few minutes of sobbing, Song Ren finally recovered to a more presentable state. Sniffling, Song Ren turned to his junior sister and addressed her.

 

"*sniff* Your cold face is too scary. It made it hard to stop crying."

 

Hearing these words, Shi Huinai's face immediately turned icy cold and she promptly withdrew her hand from his shoulder. Once again lifting her leg, she dealt a swift kick into his side.

 

"Ack!"

 

Feeling the wind knocked out of him by the strong kick, Song Ren held his side and groaned on the sandy floor. The androgynous figure chuckled at his disciples' interactions. Walking over to Song Ren's side, the Master helped his disciple to his feet.

"Come, let's get into the city before the queue gets any longer."

 

The androgynous figure took his place at the end of the queue with his disciples standing on either side of him. The guards were efficient so the queue didn't take long. Although they got a few odd looks, they were let into the city without any problems.

 

"Enjoy your stay, friends from the East."

 

The young guard had a smile on his face as he returned the identification plaque to the androgynous figure.

0