Chapter 5: Intertwined Paths
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Liu Ye was dressed up as old man Shi once more and was laying down on a rug with some cushions in the corner. Although he maintained the disguise technique, he didn't put much effort into it. He focused on blocking out any spiritual senses and not any visual effects so a cursory glance would reveal flaws in his disguise. Meng Xue's hair was still wet from the bath and she wore a fresh set of clothes. Seeing Liu Ye, she sat down across from him on the rug. Liu Ye noticed her actions but continued to relax in silence. A minute passed before Meng Xue broke the silence.

 

"Liu Ye, what was with the code? Why's mine different from yours?"

 

Liu Ye closed his eyes and responded to her lazily. With every word, he seemed to get further devoured by the cushions.

 

"Mm. The knock identifies what team we're a part of. The phrase about gambling is my unique identifier and one into two signaled that we both made it."

 

Meng Xue's eyes flickered with realization and she lightly nodded. After another few moments, she asked Liu Ye another question.

 

"Why'd you say you were an old friend then?"

 

"Oh, that. Are we, not all old friends? That wasn't a part of the code, but I just felt that it was an awkward transition so I added that."

 

Meng Xue was at a loss for almost a minute before she commented awkwardly with two words.

 

"I see…"

 

"What's your unique identifier?"

 

Liu Ye asked casually. He adjusted the pillow on his head a few times but it still felt uncomfortable so he just ended up flipping it over to the other side.

 

"You can see for yourself next time we're on a mission together."

 

Meng Xue seemed to be filled with satisfaction as she felt that she had obtained a one-up against him. Besides an eyebrow raise, Liu Ye didn't seem to be affected by her words. He just gave another lazy reply.

 

"Let's do that then."

 

Feeling uncomfortable again, Liu Ye turned over onto his stomach and planted his face into a round cushion letting out a sigh of satisfaction. Meng Xue was frustrated and let out an angry humph but refused to entertain him any further. She stood up from the rug and headed for her room. Seeing that she had left, Liu Ye started voicing some of his thoughts out loud.

 

"Hmm, I was thinking of exploring the city starting tomorrow… but there's really nothing to do. Maybe I'll try some street food. Big cities always have great street food."

 

Liu Ye audibly swallowed and stood up from the cushions. Straightening out his clothes, he put the disguise technique on full power and shouted into the house.

 

"I'm headed out!"

 

Without waiting for a reply, Liu Ye walked out the front door and made his way through the city streets. A few minutes later, a flustered Meng Xue ran to the front door and opened it. She checked the alleyway for Liu Ye, but he had already rounded the corner and was out of sight. Her clothes were put on in a rush for an outing but it was all for naught. Meng Xue let out a sigh of frustration but walked back into the house. She would adjust herself and get fully ready before exploring the city herself. There was no need to cause herself unneeded stress by following Liu Ye.

 

* * *

 

After some wandering, Liu Ye found himself where he wanted to be. The smell of spices and meat filled the air. The summer sun was relatively close to the horizon so the heat had grown bearable. There were all kinds of fried and grilled delicacies that stall owners put on full display. It was very lively with many customers and stall owners. Liu Ye's gaze roamed the crowd as he walked until a familiar figure stopped him in his tracks. A smile spread on his wrinkled face and he briskly walked over to the side of the figure.

 

"Young man looks like we're fated."

 

Liu Ye's voice became more restrained and mature as he adopted the character of old man Shi once more. Song Ren was startled by the voice but he turned around with a joyful smile.

 

"Old sir! Thank you so much for your help! I wasn't able to give you my sincere thanks before."

 

Song Ren cupped his fists and bowed toward Liu Ye. Liu Ye chuckled lightly and stopped Song Ren before he could fully bow.

 

"There's no need, young man. I just shared some water with you. It cost me very little."

 

More wrinkles formed in the corner of his eyes as old man Shi's face formed a sincere smile. Song Ren was incredibly touched by the old man's sincerity and humility. Filled with intense righteousness, Song Ren gripped the old man's shoulders and made a declaration.

 

"You're a saint, old sir. Today I must treat you to supper. I won't accept no for an answer."

 

Liu Ye was startled but he chuckled lightly and accepted the heroic youth's offer gracefully.

 

"All right then, young man. Lead the way."

 

The heroic youth led the old man away from the bustling stalls of the night market to a relatively empty alleyway. There were only a few restaurants open while the rest of the alleyway's buildings were dark. One of the restaurants had a signboard that read "A Fulfilled Promise". Song Ren's eyes shined as he spotted it. Turning around, he addressed Liu Ye to explain his actions.

 

"My master said that this inn makes good food."

 

"If your Master says so, then it must be true."

 

Liu Ye held a gentle smile as he waited for Song Ren to lead the way. Song Ren walked into the restaurant and found an open table at the edge. Although it wasn't peak hours, the restaurant was still busy with seventeen of the twenty tables being filled. There were ink paintings that adorned the walls. Some were from locals while others were pieces left by grateful travelers. Among the pieces on the walls were even fairly notable names such as Scholar Meng Liu. Liu Ye was disturbed from his inspection of the store by Song Ren speaking up.

 

"Don't be restrained, old sir. This is the least I can do. Today, we'll gorge ourselves on good food and alcohol!"

 

"Spoken like a true hero, young man! If your words are true, let's get started."

 

Seeing his savior's heroic spirit, Song Ren was pleasantly surprised and waved over a waiter.

 

"Let's start with five portions of your best meats and two jars of your best alcohol!"

 

The waiter nodded and rushed to the back to put in the order before going to help with another table that had just been filled. Song Ren turned his attention back to the old man and asked him a question with great interest.

 

"You must have been quite the figure in your younger years, old sir."

 

Being watched with sparkling eyes, Liu Ye answered humbly.

 

"Oh, no. I'm merely a retired mercenary."

 

Song Ren scanned Liu Ye's figure and revealed a look of surprise. Holding his right hand to his chin.

 

"Hm. But your body seems tempered by high-quality herbs. Are you sure you never entered a Sect?"

 

Liu Ye was inwardly shocked but didn't show anything outwardly. It would take a Master's eyes to notice that high-quality herbs were used. Although most people would be able to notice that he had tempered his body, normal body tempering methods and herb tempering resulted in similar body types. Coupled with his high-level disguise technique, he didn't think he would be seen through by a young man whom he had previously seen dying from thirst. Liu Ye gave a half-hearted excuse.

 

"This old man happened across a fortuitous encounter."

 

Song Ren didn't seem fully convinced but the waiter brought out the first plate of grilled meats and two sealed clay jars. The heroic youth's eyes brightened at the meat and alcohol, and the matter was temporarily tossed to the side. With great eagerness, Song Ren invited the old man to get started on the meal.

 

"Old sir, shall we get started?"

The heroic youth could barely hold back his drool as he spoke the words. Liu Ye held an amused expression and bit into one of the skewers. The lamb meat was seasoned with many exotic spices that removed its gaminess. It was light in grease content and extremely tender, allowing for a pleasant meal. Liu Ye found himself pleasantly surprised and the first portion had been devoured before he knew it. Watching the old man's ravenous behavior, Song Ren also started to devour his own portion with gusto.

 

The waiter continued to bring out the portions as they were cooked and Song Ren would continue to order more wine as they ran out. In the end, Song Ren and Liu Ye both had about twenty portions of meat and six jars of wine between each other. Filled with good food and alcohol, both of them had fully warmed up to each other and were very casual with each other. Song Ren let out a loud burp and patted his stomach in satisfaction. Seeing this, Liu Ye smiled and broke the silence.

 

"Hohoho. If I was younger, I'm sure you and I would be great friends."

 

"Why do you need to be younger? Can we not still be great friends now?"

 

Song Ren had a wide grin as he gave his honest reply. Liu Ye was stunned for a few moments before he chuckled and spoke up in praise.

 

"It seems I've lost some wisdom in my old age. You are very right, young man. Then, if you're not ashamed of calling this old man your friend, I'll take you up on that offer."

 

"Of course!"

 

Song Ren pulled Liu Ye into a shoulder hug and both of them started laughing heartily. To make their friendship official, they formally introduced themselves to each other.

 

"My name is Song Ren!"

 

"I'm called Shi Yao."

 

The sun had already set and it was getting late. Song Ren cupped his fists and bowed toward Liu Ye.

 

"It's getting late. Thank you for the company, old sir. I hope to meet you again soon."

 

Liu Ye nodded and gestured for him to continue. Song Ren grinned and waved for a waiter. When he rummaged through his clothing, his expression fell.

 

"I forgot that I left my coin purse with my master."

 

Song Ren said awkwardly. He was extremely embarrassed and was trying to laugh it off while holding his head with his right hand. The waiter almost dropped the dirty clay plate in his hands. He seemed to be about to burst into a flurry of curses but was stopped by Liu Ye.

 

"I'll pay for the both of us. This should cover it."

 

Seven silver coins stamped with the likeness of Sultan Rahim were placed into the waiter's hand. The waiter was surprised and immediately restrained his anger. An ingratiating smile replaced his restrained expression. He bowed to the pair and left a few words before retreating to the back.

 

"Feel free to return at any time, honored guest."

 

A sigh could be heard strangely clearly among the sounds of cooking, plates clattering, and patrons speaking. Song Ren flinched at the sound and turned around with a wry smile.

 

"Fate brings us together again. I'd like to apologize for my disciple's carelessness."

 

The androgynous figure slightly bowed his head and cupped his fist toward Liu Ye.

 

0