Chapter 1: The Manticore’s Lair
62 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Authors Note:

Hi, I am new to writing and my English is not my best skill, but I am posting this story here in its raw and not yet edited final version to get input from a different audience. 
___________________________________________________________________

 

Chapter 1: The Manticore's Lair (revision 4 11-13-2023)

The jagged peaks of the treacherous mountain range loomed over Vespera and her weary band of adventurers as they trudged onward, their breaths ragged in the thin air. Their objective: capture the manticore that had been terrorizing nearby villages. Vespera's intense focus on the mission was evident in every step she took, her crimson eyes never straying from the path before them.

"Vespera," Eldric panted, his voice barely audible above the howling wind. "We need to rest for the evening... we're exhausted and must restore our magic."

"Keep moving," Vespera snapped without glancing back at him. Her relentless drive to succeed quickly strained the group's dynamics, but none dared challenge her authority. After all, she was a noble dark elf who had never led a mission to failure.

"Please," Sariel begged, her legs trembling beneath her. "We can't go on like this."

"Fine," Vespera spat the word as if it were poisonous. She scanned the mountainside for a suitable location to rest. "We'll stop there, but only for a brief respite. The manticore won't wait for us to catch our breath if it finds itself hungry again."

As the group huddled against the biting cold, Vespera brooded over her next move. What would it take to bring down the beast? How could she ensure her own survival and that of her companions? She clenched her fists, her determination to obtain one of Forredare's relics driving her.

"Vespera," Eldric ventured cautiously, "If we're going to have any chance of success, we need rest. The current tension between us is a liability."

"Their weakness is a liability," she retorted with a scowl. "It's only one day without rest; we have done it before."

"We have," he conceded. "But the others – Sariel, Eris, Rhiannon, and Liri – they're exhausted, and even I am low on magic with all the battles we have encountered. We need you to understand our limits."

Vespera stared at him, her jaw clenched tight. She knew he was right but admitting it would mean relinquishing a measure of control. And that was something she could not bring herself to do.

"Enough," she said curtly. "We rest long enough to eat, and then we continue. This manticore will not elude us any longer."

The group's pursuit resumed with Vespera at the helm, pushing them relentlessly onward despite their growing exhaustion and internal tensions. With each arduous step higher into the mountains, the air thinned and the cold intensified. When they finally halted, it was not for respite but because they had arrived: before them yawned the ominous entrance to the manticore's lair. The stench of rotting flesh emanated from within. Vespera took a deep breath, steeling herself for what lay ahead.

"Prepare yourselves," she commanded, her voice unwavering. "Remember the plan Eldric will launch a little magic to disorient the manticore, then we need to keep it busy long enough for him to cast Lightning Storm and paralyze it. Liri stays back and focuses on distractions and healing everyone, Rhiannon, and Arin you should keep him from moving around as much as possible, Sariel and Eris do damage while you can and help stop projectiles. Today, we triumph over this monstrosity!"

As the adventurers readied their weapons and spells, Vespera knew that nothing could sway her from the goal she pursues. Her heart hammered in her chest, fueled by the fire of ambition hoping the relic she is seeking is here, and if not, at the very least she gets back in time to join the expedition to the city recently uncovered.

"Let's go," she whispered, stepping into the darkness.

The manticore emerged from the shadows, its lion-like body tensed and ready to strike, its fearsome tail bristling with lethal spikes, and razor-sharp claws slashing through the air. The dwarf, Arin, roared as he charged forward, his mighty axe cleaving through the air as he engaged the beast in a fierce melee. Eldric conjured several searing balls of fire, hurling them at the manticore, each impact scorching its fearsome hide, and the light of the blasts temporarily blinding it. Rhiannon, the stalwart paladin, called upon his divine powers to shield his companions from harm, his voice a beacon of hope in the chaotic battle.

Vespera maintained a cautious distance, alternating between casting Ice spells to slow its movements while darting in to deliver vicious strikes with her enchanted blade.

Eldric maintained his distance too, he shouted "I'm starting my chant!" his staff crackling with arcane energy as he prepared to unleash the full might of his magical prowess.

The battle raged on, a flurry of steel and magic, each side determined to emerge victorious. Arin, the dwarf, battled valiantly, his axe a blur as he deflected the manticore's vicious blows. Sariel and Eris, however, were not so fortunate. As Eris was casting a group shield spell, the manticore shot deadly spikes at her. Sariel tried to cut them down as it kept barraging them with more, seeing a stray spike heading for Eldric, Sariel turned to slice it, the manticore seizing the chance quickly stabs her with his venomous tail, then launched its final two spikes at Eris, one grazing her leg and the other causing a deadly blow as it pierced through her chest.

"Keep pressing," Vespera shouted, sweat stinging her eyes. "We cannot falter now."

The halfling druid, Liri, used her primal magic to call the pack of wolves to fight alongside them, but the manticore tore through them with terrifying ferocity. Rhiannon's divine protection faltered, and the paladin fell under a flurry of savage attacks. Liri started to run in towards where Rhiannon lay. Vespera called out for Liri to wait until she could get the manticore's attention. But Liri still ran in trying to pull Rhiannon's body away while casting a healing spell. The manticore charges Liri and bites into her.

As the manticore seemed to gain the upper hand, Eldric's aura intensified his spell completed. The air crackled with raw power as he unleashed a torrent of lightning that coursed through the manticore's body, leaving it reeling in agony as its body spasmed.

"Vespera, we must finish this!" Eldric called out, his voice strained from his long chant.

Vespera wrapped the manticore's wildly swinging tail in shadow pinning it down as she charged forward, sword poised to strike as the manticore was momentarily distracted by its struggle to control its body. With a deafening battle cry, Vespera plunged her blade into the beast's skull, then pulled out her blade swinging it back down with all her might beheading the foul beast. Vespera stood panting, the echo of her battle cry fading into a haunting silence.

In the aftermath, only Eldric and Vespera remained standing amid the carnage, their clothes stained with the blood and sweat of a battle too dearly won. Vespera's gaze swept across the fallen. She turned to look at Eldric, who had been silent, noticing the grief etched deeply into his weary face. Her own heart ached at the sight, a hollow, gnawing guilt consuming her.

Eldric approached Vespera as he asked, "Can you cast 'suspend the dead' on them while I pack the horses?" She nods and quickly casts it over all of their fallen comrades before starting to help load up all the loot.

 Amongst the debris of the manticore's past victims, they found treasures and artifacts that glittered temptingly in the dim light. As they packed the spoils onto their packhorses, Eldric's keen eye caught sight of a malevolent-looking red amulet. Though he sensed its cursed nature, he had convinced himself that his mastery of magic would allow him to control its power. He picked it up and froze for a moment, sweat running down his brow, before exhaling and concealing the amulet in his pocket.

Tired and battered, they emerged from the dark recesses of the cave and into the fading light of day. The grueling journey back to camp awaited them.

Later that night Eldric followed Vespera into her tent, to discuss the loot.

"Vespera how should I separate the treasure, do you want to pick any items, or should I simply set aside 25% by what I think you would value?

"Wrong," Vespera replied, her voice filled with barely contained anger that surprised Eldric. “It’s not 25%, it's 66%. Their families will get their pay for the contract, treasure found is a bonus only for the living as you well know."

"I think that we should reallocate some of our profit and compensate the families of the fallen; it is only right."

Vespera sneered contemptuously, a cold fire burning in her eyes. "If you foolishly choose to squander part of your 34% on that rabble, then don't expect me to care. I have ambitions to fulfill, Eldric, and I won't let emotions stand in my way. We will divide the spoils by standard guild rules. Our comrades would have expected nothing less."

Eldric frowns, "Your ambition is what got them killed!" Eldric snapped, his patience wearing thin. "If you didn't push us and let us rest before the battle then maybe your plan would have worked, but you rushed it despite their protests and my advice. You knew the risks, and yet you pressed on. How can you be so cold? You should at the very least help compensate their families for their loss, three of them had kids to take care of back home."

"Don't you dare question my capability as a leader," Vespera hissed. "I've gotten this far in life by making tough decisions, and I'll be damned if I let even, you undermine me."

Eldric glared at Vespera, his arms crossed tightly over his chest. "Your decisions may have served you well, but they've hurt others along the way," he retorted, his voice filled with disdain. "You were reckless today, Vespera, and for what? Just so you could get back in time to join some expedition? "

"They messed up my plans with their incompetence, and then panicked instead of following instructions. I'll take no blame," Vespera said.

Eldric let out a heavy sigh and ran his hand through his disheveled hair. His furrowed brows showed his concern. He spoke slowly, cautiously selecting each word. “Lately you have been acting...oddly. You don't seem to care about anyone but yourself. This isn’t like you at all and it scares me. What is going on? I want to help if I can, just tell me what’s wrong.”

Vespera's hands trembled, “It's none of your business.”

Eldric shook his head in disbelief, his expression contorted. "More secrets you still can't trust me with. No," he growled through clenched teeth. "I guess you never really trusted me. I appreciate all the things you've done for me over the years, once we return home, consider us done. I can't follow someone who chooses their own selfish desires over the lives of others."

Vespera's anger flared, and in a swift motion, she drew her sword and pointed it at Eldric's neck. "How dare you!" she warned, her voice barely above a whisper.

Eldric didn't even glance at the blade his eyes fixed on Vespera's, not wavering from his stance. "How dare I what? Do I not deserve to question, be concerned, or care about you after all these years? Have I been nothing more than a pawn in your game all these years? The emotions that I thought you had for me, were they just a lie?"

"Fine," she spat, turning away from him. "Do as you please."

Vespera's grip on her sword tightened but her arm went slack. It was in this moment of fraught stillness that a shadowy figure emerged from the darkness behind her. The assassin lunged, plunging a dagger dripping with some kind of viscous dark purple liquid into Vespera's back severing her spinal cord. Her eyes widened in shock, and she dropped her sword, stumbling forward.

Vespera screamed as she crumpled to the ground, watching the scene play out, unable to concentrate enough to use her magic.

Eldric reacted in an instant. Summoning a bolt of arcane energy, he blasted the assassin away from Vespera, eliminating the threat. As the would-be killer fell, Eldric turned his attention to Vespera, his anger momentarily forgotten.

Vespera gasped for breath, the poison already spreading through her system. Eldric quickly started cleaning and bandaging the wound, knowing he had to act fast to save her life.

Vespera said, "I can't feel my legs, and my insides feel like they are burning."

"Vespera! I'll use greater teleport to get us out of here. There has to be a healer in the city who can help!"

She fought against the waves of agony coursing through her veins, gritting her teeth and growling through clenched jaws, "You fool! It's impossible even for someone as skilled as you, we'll both end up dead from the attempt."

Eldric clenched his fists. His voice shook as he shouted out to Vespera, “Trust in me! The poison is spreading too quickly for us to waste any more time debating. I just need to borrow your sapphire.”

His gaze met hers, and he could see the battle raging in her eyes. Her lips were pressed together in a tight line, her brow furrowed with emotion. For the second time since they'd known each other, Vespera seemed unsure of herself. He almost didn't hear her whisper: “There is another option you can let me die.”

Eldric shook his head, swallowing hard at the weight of her words. “No Vespera, I will do this.”

Her throat worked, trying to form words, but only shallow whispers emerged. "Fine," Her breathing was labored and forced, as if each breath could be her last. With a voice barely above a murmur, she croaked out her plea; "If I die... please... I'm...." A harsh cough echoed in the silence, and red droplets flew from her lips.

Eldric's hands trembled as he frantically finished weaving the final knots of the bandage. He quickly ran outside her tent placing gems in cardinal positions around the camp linking each one with magic before running back to Vespera in the center. His energy was stretched to its limits as he etched the intricate runes into the air, pouring all of his determination and a great amount of his life-force into the powerful incantation. After what felt like an eternity a mesmerizing blue portal rose up around their camp, swirling and undulating like an ethereal whirlpool of brilliant light.

"I did it Ves!," Eldric murmured, gingerly lifting Vespera's limp form into his arms. Her body was cold to the touch, her once-vibrant aura now a mere flicker. The swirling energies felt like they would tear him apart as he concentrated to hold it together. But he held onto Vespera tightly, their bodies tingling from the chaotic currents of the spell.

Eldric erupted from the portal with Vespera locked in his embrace. Campsite items were scattered across his backyard, and their horses panicked and bucked madly in fear. Without a moment to spare, Eldric hastened to the stable, throwing a saddle on a fresh steed. Clawing at the ground with urgency, they galloped away towards the healer’s complex, Vespera's fragile life held tightly in front of Eldric; every beat of the horse's hooves counted down the time for her survival.

3