Side Story 1: Tale of the Hydra
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

Side Story 1: Tale of the Hydra (Story Eldric told Vespera about their first meeting.)

 

The morning sun filtered through the dusty window of Eldric's modest room above the Boar's Head Tavern, waking the young mage from his restless sleep.

 

Eldric Amery rubbed sleep from his eyes and sat up, blinking at the shafts of golden light piercing the gloom. At Fifteen, he was already over six feet, with a lean, muscular build from years of physical labor. His shaggy light brown hair fell across his forehead as he stood, the ends just brushing his shoulders.

 

With a sigh, Eldric prepared for another day of work. His worn leather boots, gifted to him by the village cobbler when his feet had outgrown his old ones, creaked under his weight.

 

As a mage in the employ of the mercenary guild, Eldric knew he was lucky to have steady work and a roof over his head. Still, after sending most of his earnings back to his struggling village Redfern, he was left with little to live on. His true passion, researching ancient magical artifacts, would have to wait.

 

Eldric shook off his melancholy thoughts and splashed cold water on his face from the basin on the rickety dresser, the chill helping to banish the last traces of sleep.

 

His stomach rumbled, reminding him it had been over a day since his last proper meal. With a grimace, Eldric headed downstairs to the tavern in search of breakfast, hoping today's work would at least provide enough coin for a loaf of bread and bit of cheese.

 

As Eldric descended the creaking stairs and entered the smoky tavern, a group of mercenaries in the corner waved him over. "There you are mage! We've got a job for you."

 

Eldric sighed, hoping this would be a quick one, and walked over to join them. His mind was already wandering to his latest research on ancient magical artifacts, dreaming of the day he would have the time and means to pursue his true passion.

 

 

The mercenaries made way for Eldric at their table. Their leader, a grizzled veteran named Karvos, leaned forward. "There's a hydra terrorizing villages in the Valtaris territory. The lady Vespera herself has put out a call for mages, scouts and clerics to help take the beast down. Interested?"

 

Eldric's eyes widened. Working for a noble dark elf family like the Valtaris would be a tremendous opportunity. "Yes, of course," he said, trying to sound nonchalant.

 

Karvos grinned, showing a missing tooth. "Thought so. We leave at dawn. Try to get some rest, mage, you'll need your wits about you for this one."

 

Eldric nodded and turned away, hiding a smile. Perhaps this job would provide enough gold for more than just bread and cheese. He might even be able to continue his research.

 

As the mercenaries dispersed for the day, Eldric's gaze fell upon a cloaked figure sitting alone in the corner. All he could see were a pair of intense crimson eyes gazing at him from beneath the cloak's hood, sending a strange thrill down his spine.

 

Then the figure rose swiftly and glided out of the tavern, leaving Eldric with the fleeting impression of pale purple skin and a feminine figure. His heart raced. Could that have been Lady Vespera herself? He has heard so many stories of missions she led to victory her record flawless. He shakes his head Impossible it must be a servant of her house. Still, those eyes...he found himself hoping to glimpse them again.

 

Shaking off his fanciful thoughts, Eldric headed outside into the busy street. He had preparations to make for tomorrow's hunt, and daydreams wouldn't slay a hydra.

 

 

The next morning, Eldric joined the mercenaries outside the gates of Lythara. A unit of dark elven soldiers were also gathered, clad in black armor and armed with wicked glaives and longbows.

 

Leading them was a cloaked figure on a black mare—even at a distance, Eldric recognized those crimson eyes. His heart leapt as Lady Vespera drew back her hood, revealing midnight-blue hair and pale purple skin. So, it had been her in the tavern.

 

"People of Lythara!" Vespera's voice rang out, strong and clear. "The hydra plaguing our lands will terrorize you no more. Today, my soldiers and these brave mercenaries will hunt the beast down and slay it, so your villages may be safe again."

 

A ragged cheer rose from the crowd. Eldric swelled with purpose and determination. He would prove his worth on this hunt, both as a mage and as a man in Lady Vespera's eyes.

 

Vespera unsheathed her glaive and raised it high. "For the Valtaris! For Lythara!"

 

"For the Valtaris! For Lythara!" The mercenaries and soldiers shouted in response, raising their weapons.

 

Eldric gripped his staff, magic thrumming through his veins. Today he would make his name—and perhaps win a noble patroness. The hunt was on.

 

They rode out from Lythara, following the hydra's trail of destruction toward the nearby forest. Eldric kept close to Vespera, waiting for a chance to speak, to gain her notice. His heart pounded harder than hoofbeats.

 

The forest loomed before them, and somewhere within lurked their quarry. Eldric took a deep breath, ready to prove he was more than just another sellsword. The future unrolled before him, as yet unwritten, fraught with danger and possibility.

 

He smiled. What more could an ambitious mage ask for? The hunt was on.

 

 

The hydra had rampaged through five villages so far, leaving destruction in its wake. Dozens of homes were burned to ashes, the dead strewn about like broken dolls. Men, women, children—the beast showed no mercy.

 

Eldric's stomach turned as they rode past the ruins of Murvek, the village closest to Lythara. Bodies littered the streets, limbs torn asunder, heads crushed. The hydra's venom had melted through armor and flesh alike. He gritted his teeth against the bile rising in his throat.

 

So many lives were lost. So many families shattered. Rage simmered in his veins, memories of a troll attacking his village. The hydra would pay for its atrocities—if he had any say in the matter.

 

Vespera's face remained impassive, but her knuckles whitened around her glaive. "Onward," she said tightly. "The trail leads north."

 

Eldric nodded and urged his horse to keep up with hers. He would stand at her side when they confronted the beast and unleash the full force of his power. The hydra would soon regret the day it dared invade the Valtaris lands.

 

 

Vespera halted her forces at the edge of the forest, raising one hand. "We stop here to prepare. The hydra's was last seen here—we must be ready for anything.

Karvos, take your scout’s and track the beast's movements. Report back within the hour."

 

 

The grizzled mercenary saluted. "Yes, My lady." He gathered a dozen other archers and soon disappeared into the forest.

 

"While we wait, Are there any mages here capable of temporarily enchanting blades with fire?" Vespers asked. "Even a glancing blow the hydra will be unable to heal."

 

The mages look between each other as if to ask if they knew how.

Eldric Sighs, " He raises his hand, and starts chanting. It takes several minutes as the other mages watch him in confusion, and Vespera watches with great interest. Then a burst of light and every Soldier in Eldric’s view suddenly has flames surrounding their blades.

 

Vespera's shock lasted only a moment before smiling to herself. "General remember to give that one a bonus and take down his name for me."

 

Eldric ducked his head, hoping the flush on his cheeks could be blamed on the midday sun.

 

 

Eldric felt ten feet tall despite feeling like he was ready to collapse. 

 

 

The scouts returned with news of the hydra's location. Vespera studied the map they provided; her brow furrowed in thought. "The beast has settled in the ravine north of here. The terrain favors its size and heads, giving it ample cover and room to maneuver."

 

Eldric peered over her shoulder, acutely aware of her nearness. He caught a whiff of her scent, like orchids at midnight. Focusing on the map, he memorized the ravine's path.

 

Vespera glances to see who was so close to her before continuing, "The narrow walls will also hinder its escape. If we can drive it into the dead end at the western edge, we'll have it trapped. We will advance from the east and west, allowing it no quarter. Mages, you will weaken it with spells and coat our weapons in fire to maximize every blow. My soldiers will guard your flank and distract its heads so you can work your magic unhindered."

 

With their strategy in place, they set off toward the ravine. The forest thinned, sunlight dappling the ground in a riot of shadows. The earth shook as the hydra emerged from the trees, roaring in challenge. Massive and reptilian, its three heads snapped and writhed, venom dripping from fangs the size of short swords.

 

Eldric's heart leapt into his throat at the sight. Swallowing hard, he strengthened his shield spells and prepared to cast. The soldiers flanked him, weapons glinting in the morning sunlight.

 

Vespera drew her enchanted blade, the gleaming length of steel thrumming with power. "For your crimes against this realm, beast, you will now meet your end!"

 

The hydra reared, loosing a blast of toxic liquid from each maw. Eldric deflected the liquid with a shield spell.

 

Through the chaos, Vespera's voice rang out, "Mages, now!"

Vespera began chanting, weaving a net of Shadows to restrain the beast. The soldiers rushed in, dodging snapping jaws and claws to hack at the hydra's legs and wound its body.

 

 

It roared in fury, thrashing against the shadowy bonds. The soldiers fell back as Eldric began summoning fire. Flame erupted around the hydra, searing its scales and causing it to shriek in agony.

 

When the flames cleared, the hydra could barely stand. Its heads swayed drunkenly, venom dripping from its jaws. Vespera strode forward and plunged her blade deep into the hydra's chest, piercing its heart. With a groan, the beast collapsed, dead at last.

 

The soldiers cheered in triumph. Breathless, Eldric leaned against a tree, his limbs rubbery from channeling so much magic. Vespera emerged from the hydra's corpse, her armor stained but eyes alight with victory.

 

Striding over to Karvos, she clasped his shoulder. "At least one mage has proven his worth this day. You were right to say I would find him useful. He looks so young, how old is he, and how long has he been working for you?"

 

Karvos smiles, "This is only his third mission, he graduated from the Academy a little over a year ago, and recently turned fifteen."

 

Vespera's said. "So, he must be an extremely skilled apprentice who is trying to gain practical experience I take it?"

 

Karvos laughs for a second before replying, "That boy is a magus, He should be working in a kingdom right now, but he argued that he needed actual life experience before trying to be an advisor to a kingdom."

 

Vespera grasped his arm leaning close. " Most interesting, send me reports on his progress, I will pay you well for your time of course."

 

Eldric watched Vespera stride off, shouting orders to her soldiers. His cheeks flushed as he recalled her praise for him to the guild leader. He shook off the peculiar sensation. Now was not the time for idle fancies. There were still dead to bury before nightfall.

 

Summoning his strength, Eldric went to help the clerics tend to the injured. The hydra's venom had left many with grievous burns, but between potions and healing magic, all who still lived would survive.

 

As dusk fell, the dead were given proper rites and pyres were lit to burn through the night. The soldiers gathered around roaring bonfires, toasting their victory and speculating about future battles.

 

Eldric sat alone under the stars, exhaustion seeping into his bones. He had given much of himself to the fight and would need time to recover. But it had been worth it to stop the monster from ruining any more people's lives.

1