Blood of My Death: The Ancient Earthscrapper – Chapter Thirty-Four
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It felt like a day had passed as I crawled through this small tunnel. I felt kind of sick, but I didn't have time to worry about that. I could see light up ahead, but it was still far in the distance. The smell of rot and decay had decreased mostly now. I didn't hear any sounds, but I kept my ears open for any sounds that might come from ahead. There was a humming sound and as I got closer, it grew louder. The closer I got I heard other things and then I could hear voices. They were faint at first, then grew in volume as I made my way forward.

By the time I got close enough to hear their words, I knew they worked for DNA Labs and they were talking about me. I wasn't on any of their sensors and this tunnel appeared to be a vent. I could see several surveillance rooms with monitors and computers. Three guards were present, and I could see Doctor Ashland on a monitor.

"I want Test Subject Kristonia Howel found as soon as possible. By now she will be infected with the virus. This is what we have been waiting for, and I want to know the moment she is retrieved," Doctor Ashland ordered.

"Understood!" a guard replied.

That one had a glass tablet in his hands. If I could get it from him, I could escape with Rachel too. Mother was also inside the room. "Was I the only person who could see her?" I asked myself.

"Right now you are," Mother answered.

"What? Can you hear my thoughts?" I asked.

"Yes," Mother replied.

"How? Are you real then?" I questioned, thinking I was going crazy.

"I'm real and I will explain, but not now," Mother said.

"Great, now I'm going crazy!"

"Believe me, you are not going crazy," she stated.

"So you've been hearing all my thoughts?" I asked.

"No, just when you are being tested and since you came here," Mother said.

Two of the guards left the room, leaving the remaining guard alone. "Could I take him while I was in this shape?" I thought, rubbing my arm. Where my arm had broken didn't hurt anymore. I checked my injured leg and discovered that my wound had healed. "How did my leg heal?"

"That is a side effect of the virus you are infected with. It's not vampirism but it does speed up healing temporarily," Mother explained.

"Okay will I be okay?" I questioned.

"With treatment the infection can be reversed. You are in no danger of turning anytime soon," Mother answered.

"That's good to know," I whispered.

Now I took the chance to take this guard out. The cover over the vent was easy to remove. A latch held it in place. The guard was too busy watching the monitors to hear me sneak up on him. I smacked him as hard as I could over his head and he dropped to the floor like dead weights. The glass tablet was still on the table and I picked it up, looking through its contents. There was a map that showed an elevator close by and that this was a command center for the catacombs where they kept failed projects.

The guard didn't have any weapons other than a shock stick. Unlike the guards who were assigned to us. I took the baton and glass tablet, heading out into the corridor with the familiar white scheme that defines this place. The only difference was the sensor strip here that was a purple color. Then Mother appeared again. This time she had a full human appearance and her face was distinct. She had an oval face with green eyes like me. Her hair was long, wavy, and black. In fact, she looked a lot similar to my mother Eveline, and she wore a long white dress.

"You're different," I pointed out.

"I am the hologram for the Catacombs," Mother said.

"You don't have long to reach the elevator. Once you return to Resident One, you'll be noticed," Mother explained.

"So others can see you now?" I asked.

"Yes," She replied.

"Then why was I only able to see you until now?" I inquired.

"You have an implant that allows me to project myself for only you to see," Mother answered.

"Why just me?" I went on.

"Because you were being tested mentally. You were my only chance to interfere with DNA Labs plans," Mother revealed.

The sound of footsteps echoed in the corridor.

"Go now! I will distract them," Mother said, and she disappeared in an instant.

I ran down the hall towards the elevator. A few turns later I was at an elevator that had Resident One above its doors. I tapped the glass tablet and elevator and the doors opened. I stepped in without a second thought.

"This will be the last time for a while that I can communicate with you," Mother said as she appeared in the elevator with me.

"Thank you for helping me!" I replied.

She nodded her head, and the doors closed. The elevator jolted as it ascended upwards.

0