Blood of My Death: The Ancient Earthscrapper – Chapter Thirty-Seven
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The doors of the elevator opened up, and I was back in Resident One. From the diagram on the glass tablet, I was still in the underground area. I was on the same floor that our quarters were on and there were four other elevators on this floor. From what I had learned from studying the building map, two of them we used regularly. One we'd never used and appeared to go to the surface and the one that went to the Catacombs. I checked the feed to our dorms, and it was black. "I just checked it before the elevator stopped. What was going on? Had they figured I had escaped the Catacombs?" I questioned myself.

The route to our rooms was shorter than what we had figured. There were two central corridors that made a square. They had led us in circles, going to and from our room. "They must have been trying to confuse us by using cheap trickery," I thought. By the time I got there, I saw that the door was open, and I could hear a struggle inside. I raced to the door to see a group of those pseudo vampires and a man in a hospital shrub like mine. 

He was pinning Rachel down on the couch, biting her neck. I ran over to help her, but a stiff hand on my shoulder stopped me dead in my tracks. Before I could turn around a sharp pain burned my neck. I felt teeth sinking into my neck. The monster gripped me around my chest. The other one raised up, staring at me with Rachael's blood dripping from his lips.

He wasn't like those pseudo vampires as his appearance was more human. The only discrepancy was those blood-red eyes. They had a slight glow to them. The man's hair was golden blond and cut short in a perfect haircut. His skin was super pale, almost like there was no life in him. He had an angled face with a square jaw. Those teeth of his were even more vicious than the other ones, and his fangs were longer.

"Brother, you got another one?" He asked.

"Yes, this one is exceptionally satisfying," the thing whispered.

"Let me taste her," the other one asked as he rose from Rachael.

My legs went weak and the struggling I was putting up was barely doing anything. The new creature bit into my shoulder while the other continued to feed on my neck. The feral's all fought to get hold of Rachael. She tried to fight, but she looked to be nearly dead already. "What were these men? Were they actual vampires? That terrified me if that was true," I thought.

My sight faded again. I tried to stay awake to help Rachael, but I knew she'd already passed out or worse. Once again, I drifted away as everything went black.

"Am I still awake?" I thought. "I know I passed out yet why do I feel like I'm still awake?" Everything was dark again. Seeing nothing but the blackness of nothingness was stressing me out. "Where was I now?" I thought more. This place felt familiar, as if I knew I had been here before. That place I go when Doctor King is testing me in that sleep deprivation chamber. It was a place of nightmares. The shocking realization that I had here again shocked me with terror. I turned around in a circle and found that pillar of light. It was closer than it usually was. 

The light that emitted from me was so dim that it barely eased the darkness. Thankfully, the darkness seemed to be retreating and the light cast from the pillar of light was enough for me to see now. I wasn't about to stay where I was. I went to take a step, and nothing happened. My feet and legs wouldn't move. I looked to see that I was halfway submerged in a blackish liquid. "What on earth was this stuff? Then I remember her from that dream. Or was it a dream?" I thought.

As if on cue, she stepped out from the darkness. Silently watching me like she did in my dream. She smiled slightly when the thought crossed my mind. "Was she reading my mind or something like Mother had?" I debated. Her smile widened to show her teeth. I nearly lost my shit at the sight of her pointed, razor-sharp teeth. She licked her lips like she was about to feast. Her fiery orange eyes burned into my soul like two suns. 

She held her right hand straight out to her side. Before I knew it, I had done the same thing. She then bites her right thumb and returns it to her right side. I could see her blood pouring out more than it should have onto the black liquid. The liquid started bubbling as several of these black blades rose from the pool. They were black scythes of death and there were too many to count. Surrounding me floating upwards. I then realized that my blood was doing the same thing as hers. Intertwining with hers forming weapons.

"How was this possible?" I thought. The unnatural shrieking that was all too familiar returned. The light from my body burned brightly and I could see the creatures from last time were backing away from my light. Their almost human faces wrecked with hunger. Another louder, deeper shriek sounded and shook the ground. Loud stomps that felt like mini earthquakes came closer. With each step, the other creatures ran off around me in a herd like a stampede. An enormous giant of a creature came into the light. It was over twenty feet tall. 

The monster had the body of a hairless bear or gorilla with a head that looked like a twisted elephant's head. Those eyes were horrifying, an eerie glowing red light emitting from them like red jewels. Its teeth were huge maulers and had an enormous, crooked trunk with a long snout. The monster had four arms with human-like hands with one set with razor sharp talons and the other set with hands that looked like gigantic boulders that could crush a human in an instant.

The light coming from me didn't bother the patched work creature as it advanced towards me. I then noticed two more behind it stomping towards me. That was my cue to run, and when I did, I remembered that I couldn't. The pool of blackish liquid was down to my knees. "Were those weapons made of this liquid?" I thought. 

The girl called Death laughed out loud when I thought. More weapons rapidly formed around me. There were so many blades they blocked the monsters' advancing. The blades were now spinning in a circle around me at high speeds. They shredded the giant in front to pieces in a gut-wrenching fashion. It's blood and pieces of meat were flying all over me, covering me in a thick coat of its blood. Like mindless fools, the other two stomped their way into death.

"Do you see?" Death said.

"I did this?" I asked.

She only smiled and stepped back into the darkness. "Was it over?" I thought. The loud shrieks echoing in the darkness meant it had. More were coming. I felt a crooked smile crept its way across my face. My sight turned red as I felt like a haze was coming over me. For a moment I thought I was someone else.

The sting for the bright light hurt my eyes. "Where was I?" I thought. The light caused me to cover my eyes. I looked around my surroundings', noticing Rachel was in a bed across the room from me. We were in a hospital room or a recovery ward. I checked my neck to find the wound was no longer there. That prompted me to check my shoulder. It was as I had thought. The bite wound there had healed. "I vividly remember being bitten, but by what?" I thought. "Something had attacked Rachel and me. All I could remember was a hazy fog. I'd escaped that place called the Catacombs. Yet, why hadn't we escaped further?" Rachel was waking just as a doctor walked in.

"Ah, your wake. How do you feel? You had a rough test the other day. I'm Doctor Laken," The blonde doctor stated.

"What test?" I asked.

"Your exercise in the lower Catacombs. It was a training test. You did strikingly well," Doctor Laken answers.

Somehow, I couldn't believe a word he said. His sinister smile didn't seem like he was telling the truth. Something was wrong, but I couldn't put my finger on it. This wasn't how many of the doctors here behaved. My recollection of the Catacombs was also fuzzy, but I couldn't remember why I was down there and what I was doing. "Was Rachel with me down there? If so, why? They paired Diane with me. Where were Diane and Kristen?" I thought. Maybe Doctor Laken would know and not bullshit me if I asked.

"Was Rachel down there with me?" I asked.

"Yes, of course she was. This was your first test with her and you. It was a productive test. We learned a great deal about your capabilities," Doctor Laken said.

"Then where are Kristen and Diane?" I questioned further. He was blatantly lying about Rachael.

"On an extended test. They are still conducting it as we speak. I assure you that they are in safe hands," Doctor Laken stated.

Another bullshit lie coming from an insane doctor. He continued to smile while checking on Rachael. He was mumbling something under his breath. I could barely hear his words.

"The virus is still in stage one. This is good. Once we combine it with the other virus, the others are collecting, we can proceed. The serum along with the nanites in their bloodstream should allow a perfect balance," Doctor Laken whispered.

He was talking into his glass tablet like he was making an observation as Doctor King came into the room. He began looking at me over the same way Doctor Laken just had.

"We're going to need to run a few medical check-ups on the both of you now. Please follow the nurses to the medical ward," Doctor King said.

Both men then left ahead of us as four nurses entered the room. They brought two wheelchairs with them. I was already getting a bad feeling again. One pulled the cover off me, revealing I was naked. He took his time handing me a set of shrubs. This time it was more like a mini skirt than shrubs. "Why do they always give us slutty shit like this to wear?" I thought. He didn't give me any underwear either. After I slipped on the almost nonexistence article of clothing, the nurses motioned for me to sit in the wheelchair.

They took us to a medical ward in a part of the building that was once again new. The style was more like a bunker than what Resident One was. Concrete walls and sparsely lit corridors. Nothing like the room we just left. We passed through several bulkhead doors before reaching said medical ward. I could see inside before we went in. Two long and larger plexiglass view ports were on each side of the double doors. 

They sled open as we passed through, revealing another set that we could see thru. The room was immense with low ceilings. Two big vet-like tanks dominated the room in a recessed pit like area in the center. On the opposite side of the room, several doors lined the wall. They looked like prison cells.

I could see they had occupants inside each. The glow of their blood-red eyes sent chills down my spine as I felt a familiar dread and immediate danger. To the far-right side, it looked like the medical ward, the doctors spoke of. I took a quick look to the far-left side and saw these hatches on the wall. Five rows long and five high. They almost looked like they belonged in a morgue. One nurse noticed and laughed out loud.

"If you don't survive, that's where you'll end up!" he said as he chuckled louder.

My heart sank to the bottom of my chest. I knew this was bad. They'd done another one of those bullshit lies, but this time I wasn't about to let them do another test on me. I pulled the wheelchair backwards as I sprung up, catching the nurses off guard. Racheal copied my action as I planted my foot between the legs of the other nurse, sending him to the ground in pain. I followed with a kick to his face, knocking him out. The others tried to tackle me, but Rachel caught another the same way from behind, crushing his man parts. The last nurse made a tactical retreat.

Loud yelling came from the prison cells behind us. We worked the inmates inside up with our fight. I got a good look at one and he looked human. Almost human, but he wasn't. He was one of those vampire monsters. An alarm sounded through the ward and the doors locked. Before we could act, the next thing that happened was the cell doors swung open at once. I took one look at Rachel, and we sprinted to the medical ward as it was the only place that had heavy enough doors that might slow them down. 

I heard the screams of the three nurses that got left behind just as we got inside and slammed the door. A loud thump shook the door and a second later followed by loud pounding. From the two side windows on either side, I could see some had chased us. The guards we left behind were getting ripped apart. The one that laughed out loud was among them. Seeing what was happening to him, I didn't feel sorry for him at all. He got what he deserved.

"What do we do now?" Rachel asked.

"Find a way out of here," I whispered.

"What are those things? I feel like I should know," Rachel questioned.

"Vampires," I answered.

These monsters were no doubt what they said they were. I watched as they gathered outside of the doors as I recognized two of them that looked familiar.

"I see the little cutie pies are still kicking Russell," One said.

"That means we can at least have a little fun with them before it's over, Peter," Russell added.

"Hey, thanks for the meal! I was dying of starvation. After that little snack you gave us the other day you left us was carving more," Peter said.

"What the fuck are you?" I asked.

"Vampires. Isn't that obvious? Not those half breeds you saw with us last time. We're the real deal here?" Russell teased playfully as he pressed his face against the plexiglass.

"Enough with your games, Russell and Peter! We should find a way out of here!" another one said.

This one was female, and she had golden brown hair that short. Her face was oblong with golden brown eyes and a small mouth. Like the others, her clothes were ragged, but she had a curvy yet slender figure with perky bosom and an hourglass shape. She was tall with long toned legs, and she wore nothing but bandages on around her feet.

"Come on, Cordelia. It's not like this will take long. Besides, they'll change if we don't do something about it," Peter replied.

"I don't care. Let them change. We have a mission to complete. We have lost enough time here. We have to report to the council," Cordelia stated.

"Hey, if you are trying to escape then we can come with you!" Rachel yelled in a desperate voice.

"You won't survive without turning. Sorry we can't help you. If you want out of your misery, then those two will happily finish you," Cordelia suggested.

"So, you're just going to leave us down here?" I asked softly with a worried look in my eyes.

"You're better off waiting until you turn. That's your best bet. You're just not strong enough to get out of this facility," Russell responded as he continued to stare at me.

"Bullshit! You just ripped those nurses apart and would have done the same to us. You wouldn't even have this chance without us!" I yelled as anger flowed through my entire body.

"Like Cordelia and my brother said. You'll die if you try coming with us. Besides that, if you got to the surface you'd still die. The area around this complex is deadly to humans," Peter explained.

"You must find another way. If we make it out, we'll send help for you," Cordelia said.

"Why would you send help if you won't help us?" Rachel questioned.

"By then you'll be vampires and we'll be coming for our own. That's if you survive that long," Cordelia answers.

"This is fucking insane!" I screamed as more anger fueled my body.

"They're different," Cordelia whispered.

"Yeah, I can sense it too. Maybe we should take them with us," Peter suggested.

"We can't. Cordelia is right about this. If they are special, they might live long enough so we can rescue them," Russell said.

An interruption cut our conversation short. Armed guards tried rushing in, only to get ripped apart. None of them stood a chance against those things. I nearly puked at the sight of all those mingled and tangled corpses. "Was this what I was going to become?" I thought. The complete massacre was over in seconds, and now they had the weapons the guards carried. The only female vampire walked up to the window separating us. The others waited, keeping the doors open.

"If you want to escape this place, then you'll embrace the gift given to you by my kindred," Cordelia said solemnly.

Then we were alone again with a mess of dead bodies on the other side of the door. We caused three of those deaths. Knowing that, I felt nothing.

We waited there with the doors closed for hours. "Why haven't we tried leaving?" I asked myself. There was nothing stopping us from leaving. "How would I even find my sister or Diane? I no longer had a glass tablet and without one we didn't know where we were," I thought more on our options.

"We have to do something," I finally whispered.

"I know," Rachel agreed, standing up.

I stood up and opened the doors. We trudged up to the doorway where both double doors remained slid open. I peered out into the corridor to see more blood and mingled body parts. We followed the bloodshed, hoping that it would lead somewhere. I saw a weapon from one guard on the ground. I picked up the weapon, still covered in blood. 

Rachel found one of her own. This was the first time I had held a gun before. I saw enough movies to figure out which way to point the thing. The safety was off, and I hoped the clip was full. Since I didn't know how to swap out clips, this would have to do for now. There seemed to be plenty lying around. The alarms were still blaring so those vampires still were alive.

0