The Darkened Highway Chapter Five
223 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I woke up feeling refreshed by the sound of Ben calling to me as I hopped out of bed. My body was sweating, and the bed was damp. Had I had a nightmare? No matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t remember the dream. I felt a sense of refreshing relief, yet there was this lingering feeling that I couldn’t describe. Maybe it’s just my imagination.  

 

“Honey, are you coming?”

 

I resigned to rustle myself out of bed, and the smell of his cooking piqued my interest. I hopped out of bed and went straight for the mahogany Chester draw. A quick peek at myself in the mirror reveals I looked worn out. 

 

“Shit, I can’t eat breakfast like this,” I said aloud.

 

___

 

I spent the next hour or more hunting down Happy. He seemed to be just in earshot, and Ben was nowhere to be found. I called out both their names with only the sound of Happy’s bark answering back. The forest was darker than it was from the highway. How am I going to find Happy in this place? The sound of Happy barking startled me just a few feet ahead of me as I came to a thick patch of trees and vines. He was barking furiously now, and I rushed to get on my knees to crawl through a hole I found. The ground was wet and muddy, slowing my progress down. Each place I put my hand sunk into a deep black mud up to my mid forearm. I trekked inwards as it got darker by what seemed like every inch of progress I made. As I got deeper, I once again felt like the vines and roots were pulling at me. They seemed to wrap around my arm and thighs with every step. It was uncomfortable and embarrassing, and for a moment I thought the vines were moving. The weeds brushed against my breast, sending a chill through my body. Suddenly, a yank pulled my legs from under me, forcing me flat in the mud hard, and I had the feeling something was behind me. I fought to move forward with all my strength, but I slipped deeper into the mud. My thighs and bottom were being gripped and groped, thwarting my efforts to escape. Happy’s barking got louder as I crawled forward through the vines and roots. He was right in front of me now, digging at the mud. It was all I needed to squeeze out of the narrow hole. Once on the other side, I gave him a big hug. I scratched my thighs up, and I shredded my dress at the back, revealing my bare bottom. 

 

“What happened to my panties?” I yelped in confusion. 

 

Had something ripped them off? They were just gone, and I hadn’t felt them get pulled off. Whatever attacked me had certainly ripped my panties completely off.

 

I turned, walked to the shower, removed my clothes, and opened the glass door. The door had the glossy door obscuring your body when you were in the shower. Closing the door behind me, I turned on the water standing just outside the water flow. I didn’t want my food to get cold, so I turned up the hot water. A quick shower! In and out. Steam filled the shower as the water began steaming. Stepping into the hot water and I grab the bar of soap. Don’t need to be too thorough, just need to freshen up. When I was done, I turned the water off and opened the door. I grabbed a fresh towel and wrapped it around my body. I had difficulty getting the towel around my breast, but my stomach growled, shifting my attention to getting dressed.

 

Looking in the mirror, I grabbed my comb from the drawer and quickly combed my hair. I found a pair of yellow shorts and a wavy dress to wear. Since I had no bra, so I picked this dress because it fits well. I looked in the mirror, checking my appearance. I confirmed my analysis from last night. There was a noticeable difference, and I couldn’t help but wonder why I hadn’t noticed before. My body filled every inch of the yellow dress, bringing out the curves of my figure. The outline of my bottom was prominent under my dress, and I changed my panties to a pair of white mesh bikinis. They were softer and would not show my panty line. I always thought having a panty line in public was embarrassing. Although there was no one out here, I still felt more comfortable not showing the outline of my underwear.

 

My bosom filled the front of my dress, but nothing could be done about that. At least my breasts aren’t hanging out! Well, just barely. I quickly checked in the mirror to ensure my dress only showed the roundness of my bottom, and when I was content, I hurried to the front of the RV. Breakfast was ready when I sat down at the half-square table. Big enough for two or three people. The smell of bacon, eggs, and sausage filled the camper, and my stomach was thoroughly hungry. Ben made the fluffiest eggs I had ever had in my life. They had the perfect texture and the right flavor that melted in your mouth. I eagerly scooped a full spoon of eggs into my mouth.

 

“Mmmm, good! You really outdid yourself this morning, Mr. Chef!”

 

“Well, anything for Milady!” Ben replied, bowing with a smile. He took his seat in front of me across the dining table.

 

“I love you, silly!” I responded, giggling.

 

“I love you too, honey,” Ben replied as he ate a piece of bacon.

 

“I can’t wait to meet up with our parents at the cabin.”

 

“I’m with ya! Your mother’s macaroni casserole is to die for. It’s so cheesy and yummy. Then there are your dad’s famous meatballs. I can’t get enough of them,” Ben replied with a big grin.

 

“What about your mother’s German chocolate cake or your dad’s beef stroganoff?” I shot back.

 

“Yeah, but I have had that my whole life. Your parents can cook. I wonder why that talent skipped a generation.”

 

“Ha-ha-ha, nice one. You should be a comedian instead of a scientist. You might have a career!”

 

“Yes-Yes, I try. Anything to put a smile on, milady!”

 

Ben giggled, and I took in everything. He was funny, cheerful, and adventurous. Meeting Ben that first year was my fortune, and he became the love of my life. I took a moment to look around the camper.

 

This RV had a kitchen and dining room squeezed together, but it was spacious. I didn’t have a feeling of being cramped at all. The living room section was between the bunk bed and the kitchen area. A bathroom separated the living room and from the eight bunk beds. We could convert the two leather couches in the living room into beds to fit two more people. With the two bathrooms, one in front and one in back, next to the shower. This was the largest-sized RV I had ever been inside, and it screamed expensive. It was comfortable enough for me and was high-end.

 

Ben fixed another plate for me while I watched the Holo TV. Nothing was on except static. I dug into my plate when the static cleared. A commercial was playing.

 

“Remember, Akutou-Tycho builds the best vehicles, airplanes, and boats in the entire world. Stop by one of our many dealerships to purchase your new automobile today, aircraft, or recreational boat today!”

 

“My grandparents worked for them for years before they went to the Life Foundation,” Ben said.

 

“Aren’t you planning on working for them too?” I asked.

 

“Yeah, or maybe DNA Labs.”

 

We both were studying for the same major. Chemistry was always a fascination of mine. My mother and I always made these cool drinks, perfumes, or amazing dishes when I was young. She taught me a lot about botany and herbalism too. Studying different chemical reactions could allow me to better understand those things if I learned more about chemistry.

 

“You know, Hannah, you look so lovely when you’re deep in thought.”

 

“Huh, what?” I stuttered.

 

“I was just saying you look lovely.”

 

“Oh, that’s so sweet, Ben.”

 

“I can’t wait to get to my parent’s cabin.”

 

“Oh yeah? What are we going to do when we get there?”

 

“I have a few things in mind.”

 

“What would those things be, then?” I asked cheekily.

 

“I brought a few things along that I think will surprise you. It’s safe to say you’ll feel and experience many new things, honey.” Ben said with a grin.

 

“Oh, that sounds naughty to me? You’re not planning to tie me up and spank me all vacation?” I replied, smiling.

 

“Hmm, I wonder. Sounds like you have this all worked out. That’s an excellent suggestion!”

 

“You’re so funny! But if you want to give me a spanking, that would be fine by me.”

 

“Who wouldn’t want to spank your bountiful, round peach?”

 

I leaned forward in my seat, looking back over my shoulder as I did, and we both giggled at the idea. I finished up my second plate of breakfast, giving Happy the leftovers. Ben went outside, and I followed behind him. The sun was just peaking over the trees. Even then, the light barely touched the road. That creepy feeling I had all day yesterday came back. I remembered the strange sensation that was being watched, and it came back to me in full swing. Scanning the forest to either side of the road revealing nothing but trees. The road is unnaturally straight either way. As if it would go on forever. The treeline came near the road, leaving a small shoulder. Our RV stuck out like a big white cow along the dark highway. Ben was refueling the RV, as it had become a daily routine.

 

“How much fuel do we have?”

 

“Oh, about five or six days’ worth. I brought enough along just in case we got lost. It’s a good thing we did. This detour is proving to be a pain in the ass.”

 

“Do you think we should turn back? I mean, since we took this road. We haven’t seen a turnoff or an exit yet. Not even a side road.”

 

“I don’t think we would see one if it was there, to be honest. These trees are so dense they could hide a city behind them.”

 

I stood there, taking in what he’d just said. He was right. There was no way we’d see another road with all this overgrown vegetation. The road gave the impression that no one has traveled this road in decades. Happy started barking in the middle of the road. I walked over to investigate what he was barking at. Happy stopped barking for a second to lick my toes again.

 

“Crap, I forgot to put my sandals on,” I whispered.

 

Happy continued his barking again. He trotted to the other side of the highway, barking loudly. The stillness of the forest was unsettling. Happy’s barking was the only sound being made. I scanned the treeline peering into the forest to identify what he was barking at. Suddenly, in a split second, Happy jetted into the woods. Without thinking, I followed behind him, calling his name.

 

“Happy No, Come back here!” I called.

 

As I ran through the giant trees, Ben’s voice echoed in the air all around me in between Happy’s barks.

 

I sprinted through the giant trees, and Ben’s voice grew farther away in the distance as Happy’s barks faded. I tried desperately to keep him in sight while racing to catch him. He was zigzagging between trees, forcing me to go around. It didn’t help that the ground was a minefield of sticks scraping against my bare feet. Crap, I wish I could put some shoes on! Where was he going? I pushed on, not wanting to lose him in this dark and scary forest. I thought I caught something in the distance ahead, but it was nothing more than a blur. The next thing I knew, I tripped, rolling down a sloped hill into a lake. I struggled to get to the surface. Vines and roots seemed to pull me down while I fought them. After a few frantic seconds, I broke the surface and pulled myself to the bank. The water was freezing, and it soaked my body in lake water. Happy barking was still audible, and he seemed close by.

 

‘What just happened? Was that someone’s foot that tripped me?’ I stood up, feeling the icy mud between my toes.

1