Prologue : The wretched book
76 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"W-what!!"

Ethan's breath hitched in his throat, his eyes fixated on the book nestled in his trembling hands. It emitted an eerie, malevolent glow, surpassing mere enchantment. The air grew heavy with mystery and malice, a chilling grip seizing Ethan's heart. Panic surged within him, urging him to release his hold on the book as if it scorched his very skin. Stepping back, he sought solace in the physical distance, desperate to create a divide between himself and the enigmatic tome.

"What in the world is happening?" Ethan's voice quavered, each word a testament to his bewilderment. His lungs strained against the oppressive atmosphere, thickened by the book's wicked energies. The weight of the air dulled his senses, flickering like candles on the verge of extinction.

With determination, Ethan steeled himself. "I must find a way to put an end to this," he whispered, his voice laced with a sliver of conviction. Just as he prepared to conjure a spell to counteract the book's sinister influence, an unseen force seized his hands, clenching them with an iron grip.

Startled, Ethan's gaze darted to the source of the unexpected restraint. Dread overwhelmed him—an ominous, contorted branch emerged from the depths of the book, snaking towards him with relentless force.

"Come closer, fear not, for I am your salvation," a voice reverberated through Ethan's mind, its resonance defying any human or monstrous classification. It seemed as though his own thoughts had materialized, whispering secrets exclusively meant for his ears.

A whirlwind of emotions swirled within Ethan as he grappled with this revelation. The branch, though menacing in appearance, claimed to be his savior. Yet, a lingering doubt lingered in the depths of his mind, warning against embracing this seductive offer. Each passing moment drained something vital from within him, heightening his fear. Time slipped through his fingers like grains of sand, and unless he acted swiftly, the consequences could prove fatal.

"Strandroka." Ethan released a spell, his voice strained, conjuring a fiery orb hurtling towards the book. Yet, a mere inches before impact, the fireball vanished into thin air, prompting Ethan to blink in disbelief.

The sinister book glowed with increased intensity, seemingly mocking Ethan's futile attempt to disrupt its machinations. Twisted branches sprouted with alarming speed, spreading through his hands and beyond, engulfing his entire body as Ethan failed to halt their advance.

A scream welled within him, but he knew better than to release it, aware that his voice would find no escape in the confines of his secluded research facility deep within the forest.

"Damn it?" Regret flooded Ethan's heart as his strength ebbed away.

"Don't worry. Salvation awaits you," were the last words Ethan heard before he succumbed to a deep slumber.

1