Chapter 19 – The Duties of a Chieftain
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"They call me Grimrr Halftail, and I belong to the people of the dual-shapers, or as you bipedal conformers would say, werecats."

"I am Merlod Geraldson. I am honored to be in the presence of the chieftain of the werecats. Allow me to ask you, Grimrr, why are you here?"

"My current companions are following the tracks of the Ra'zac, and they have led me here. From your words, it seems that I am not unknown to you. Have we met before? It is highly unlikely, as I never forget a face or person I have ever encountered, but perhaps my thoughts are clouded now."

"No, no, we have never met in person. I served under King Orrin in the Great War and caught a glimpse of you during the final battle, where you, together with Roran Stronghammer and some Urgals, defeated Count Barst."

"I see."

A mental silence fell between the two extraordinary conversationalists. Grimrr's gaze rested on the entrance of the dungeon cell, listening to every sound to be able to react quickly. The man, who now revealed himself as an older man of 45 summers, remained motionless on his cot. At the werecat's behest, he was to move as little as possible, as the man's injuries were very serious.

"Forgive me for asking, but why were you imprisoned?"

"I ended up here because I wasn't strong enough. Our unit was supposed to participate in a test of suitability for covert missions, as ordered by the king. Naturally, we felt honored that our unit was chosen for such a task and willingly agreed. A week ago, we were supposed to gather here in the dungeons and wait for our instructors..."

Merlod stopped his explanation and shook himself slightly. The werecat knew that the experiences he had undergone here were terrible, as the emotions during the conversation were transmitted to the furry being. Anger, pain, despair, fear, and resignation were the predominant impressions Grimrr perceived.

"We stood in a circular room and waited patiently. Suddenly, out of nowhere, we were attacked by the Ra'zac. I could only watch as my comrades were butchered and I was unable to do anything against those brutes. A guard shouted something like 'Pull yourselves together, they're just Ra'zac!' Unable to defend myself, I ran out of the room with another comrade, but it was in vain. My friend was beheaded a few moments later, and I was struck on the leg with a sword blow and fell to the ground. All that remains of me now is what you see before you."

After Merlod finished his explanation, he flooded Grimrr with a wave of bitterness and the desire for a painless death.

"The guard you mentioned - was it a human?"

"I believe so."

"Then I will venture once again into these catacombs and uncover as much as possible about the machinations here."

"You are very daring, Grimrr. This place is swarming with Ra'zac, and the guards here are of the toughest kind."

"But that won't deter me from my mission. I will try to find out as much as possible and then return with a friend who will bring you out of here."

"Very honorable of you, but don't bother rescuing me. I have made peace with my fate and only wish to be relieved of the pain. I thank you for the offer of rescue, but having one last reasonable conversation with someone has already fulfilled me. Just promise me one thing. Eradicate this black pest from the world!"

"That's why I am here. I thank you for sharing your story with me, and I will remember it. Can I do anything else for you?"

"Just end my life painlessly..."

As Grimrr placed his claws against the man's throat, a deep wave of gratitude and peace washed over him. The furry companion reluctantly fulfilled the pain-stricken man's final wish, as he was reluctant to lose a witness and at the same time wanted to preserve the man's pride. Refusing the last wish of a friendly individual was considered dishonorable and shameful in every culture.

Farewell, Merlod Geraldson. Rest in peace...

Grimrr then silently resumed his exploration and investigation of the dungeon vaults. The leader of the werecats had no idea at that moment of the secrets still hidden here.


"I will take care of it immediately, Eragon. I have never heard of such a fascinating place or creature myself."

"I thank you, Jeod. My own sources of knowledge here are still very limited when it comes to the general knowledge of Alagaësia."

"I do have one question about it, though. While it honors me that you seek my advice, why exactly me? There are much greater sources of knowledge in the royal house and among the other races."

"You are one of the very few individuals whom I can trust unreservedly and consider a friend. I cannot make such requests randomly to someone who is not inclined to use the knowledge for good purposes. Besides, you have the talent to uncover hidden knowledge far more reliably than anyone else I know. I hope you understand what I mean."

"I am deeply touched, Eragon. To be a personal friend of the first free Dragon Rider fills me with great pride. I will endeavor to find out as much as possible about this creature, the place, and the bone altar."

"Thank you very much, my friend. If there's anything I can do for you, don't hesitate to tell me. However, at the personal request of my half-brother, I would like you to keep his name out of all these events. I understand why he wants to remain anonymous, but he doesn't even want Nasuada to know about his involvement, although he hasn't been very successful in that regard."

"I understand. Is there anything else I can do for you, Eragon?"

"Upon reflection, yes, but this can wait. In about a moon cycle, a ship will set sail with new inhabitants, materials, and other things heading our way. I had thought that you could send us some of the scrolls you have in stock, to accompany us on the journey. Our library is lacking in knowledge and a librarian."

"Hmm, that can be arranged. I will prepare a shipment of scrolls for you, but as for the position of librarian, I cannot help you at the moment. While I do know some trustworthy individuals who make a living in that field, there is no one I can wholeheartedly send to you."

"I know of a person, but I wish for them to have a peaceful daily life with their talented businesswoman."

Jeod couldn't help but grin slyly at his friend Eragon. He had previously received an offer from him to accompany him to the East but declined, as he wanted to live with his wife Helen in Ilirea and not push her into an unfamiliar environment again. They continued to talk for a while until they were interrupted by Helen, who was expecting her husband for dinner and had been waiting for a long time. With an apologetic look, Jeod bid farewell to the Dragon Rider and followed his wife out of the room. Exhausted from his daily routine and the conversations with his brother and good friend, Eragon closed his eyes, and it didn't take long for him to drift into a peaceful sleep.

... I inhaled her scent almost greedily, fearing that this moment wouldn't last forever. With my mind, I reached out to hers, flooding it with a multitude of impressions, emotions, and desires. With each new moment in her mind, I lost myself more and more in the beautiful and gentle melodies of the elf. My desire to express my feelings to her transferred to my hands as they explored the back of her graceful figure. The deeper my hands moved, the stronger the feeling became to touch her more and more. With my mind, I started to dominate hers, enveloping it with gentle force, giving her a sense of comfort and warmth. Strangely, and pleasantly for me, she allowed my actions and didn't resist at all. As my hands, which seemed to act on their own, explored deeper regions of her back...

Eragon woke up the next morning unusually late for his standards. Saphira was already out with her three wards, who had already achieved their first hunting and flying successes. The Rider performed his morning routine, grabbed a piece of bread and an apple, and sat in front of his tent. After consuming the meager breakfast, he decided to do some training and sprinted off. Every time he completed his running and endurance training in the valley, he surpassed the goals he had set for himself. Even the present elves had long been unable to keep up with him. It was as if the Rider was a vessel that was never full and always made room for something new. This fact had seemed strange to Eragon several times, as he consistently outperformed the elves even in matters of magic. In his last magical duel, which could no longer be called a duel since he was pitted against four elves simultaneously, he didn't win overwhelmingly but still remarkably. Initially, Saphira advised him to consult with the Eldunarí on this matter, but over time, she kept her concerns to herself, as her Rider already had enough worries.

After completing his morning round through the valley, he was greeted by a figure that had become pleasant to him, belonging to Yaela. After their last conversation, Eragon had pondered many things about her, as he understood her hint more than just words. The Rider had long since ceased to be as foolish and naive as he was in his days as a poor farm boy. With a smile, he greeted his friend.

"Good morning, Yaela."

"Morning, Mr. Early Riser. You seem to be in a relatively good mood. What's the reason?"

"Oh, just because. It's liberating to simply run through the valley."

"Then you should do it at least three times a day."

Both started laughing. Eragon found it strangely liberating and was able to free his mind from all current problems.

"I will make an effort to follow your advice, but what brings you to me so early today?"

"Early? Have you looked at the position of the sun? It's already nearing its peak."

"To be honest, no."

The elf had to control herself not to start laughing again and covered the moment with a very feigned cough.

"Anyway. Bloëdhgarm and Glaedr asked about you. They want to talk to you about the magical safeguards on the island, and the other residents here have also requested a meeting."

"Oh, I see. There are several things they want to discuss. First and foremost, they are concerned about new permanent accommodations in the forests."

"I understand. I would prefer a permanent residence myself. You can tell them that we will have dinner together this evening and can address these matters then. But for now, I'll cool off and make my way to Bloëdhgarm."

"As you wish. I will pass on the message. If you don't mind, I also want to talk to you about something this evening."

The Rider couldn't miss how she avoided his gaze and blushed slightly. After giving her his consent, he went behind his tent, where a large tub of cold water was placed, and took off his tunic. Yaela couldn't resist following him with her eyes, almost gazing longingly as he submerged his head into the cool water. As he resurfaced, Eragon caught a glimpse of Yaela turning around and walking back toward the elves' camp.

0