Chapter 31 – Official Ally and the Wrath of a Dragon
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The water's surface turned milky white as Arya attempted to contact Murtagh using Dream Sight. A moment later, a dark figure appeared, wearing a black hooded cloak and seemingly engaged in animated gestures with someone. With a slight clearing of her throat, Arya managed to make the figure pause.

"Am I interrupting something?"

"Queen Arya! I should have known it was you contacting me. No, you're certainly not interrupting, as I deliberately dropped my concealment spells."

"Given what Nasuada told me, I needed to make sure you're telling the truth. And I thought my company would be far more pleasant than King Orik's, who would also inquire about the veracity of your claims."

"That is unfortunately true."

"And before you misunderstand anything, I am no longer a queen. I am just a Dragon Rider in training."

"In training? How am I supposed to understand that?"

"Just as I said. Like you, I am not a fully trained Dragon Rider and possess only the knowledge of the elves and humans. Anyway, before we delve into trivial matters, is your story true? And please answer me in the Ancient Language."

"If Nasuada relayed my information exactly as I provided it to her, then yes, they are true. Personally, I have not seen the creature in the palace or the eggs in the dungeon, but my companion shared this information with me, and I consider him trustworthy."

"Your companion? Would you mind introducing him to me?"

For a brief moment, Murtagh turned his hooded figure to the side and appeared to be engaging in a mental conversation with someone.

"My companion understands the importance of your request and has given me permission to reveal his name to you. He is not currently here, as he is out hunting, but he informed me that he will return in a few minutes. Anyway, his name is Grimrr Halfpaw."

"Grimrr? The King of the Werecats is accompanying you?"

"Yes, that's correct, and he has proven to be a highly capable observer."

Arya could hardly believe that the leader of the Werecats was accompanying a former renegade Dragon Rider. To make good use of the waiting time, the elf engaged the former enemy in a conversation about a topic that genuinely interested her.

"Tell me, Murtagh, why are you and Thorn back in Alagaësia? Eragon told me that you intended to retreat into exile to make a fresh start."

"My half-brother wasn't entirely wrong. We were indeed living in seclusion until we witnessed a Ra'zac attack in the northern Spine. Since we hate those creatures as much as any other race in Alagaësia, we pursued them, and the rest, you should know."

"I understand. By the way, how is it that you're so talkative? It may be a rude question, but you didn't strike me as a sociable person."

"You're right, I'm not, and there are only a very few individuals who get to see this side of me. They are the ones I can trust to some extent without them immediately putting a sword to my throat. With everyone else, I remain quite closed off, mostly because I generally avoid people."

"I can't blame you for that behavior. However, I'm surprised to find that I apparently belong to the circle of somewhat trustworthy individuals."

"Dorn believes that I should at least build some trust among the Riders, as no one, except for one exception, would understand or sympathize with my motivations. Besides, he advised me yesterday to discuss a particular phrase with another Rider, a phrase that he wants to suppress for some strange reason."

"What? What kind of phrase?"

Murtagh could practically see the large question mark on the elf's face and had to hide a twitch of his mouth.

"Dorn believes that the expression 'like scales falling from the eyes' is completely baseless and nonsensical. You should witness how he gets worked up every time I even begin to think about it."

From that moment on, Arya couldn't contain herself and burst into unrestrained laughter. She held onto her stomach, visibly struggling to maintain her balance during the fit of laughter. But when Firnen also pondered the behavior of his red counterpart and shared his bewilderment, the elf couldn't remain standing any longer and landed on her now soft knees. Arya's reaction elicited a more relaxed smile from Murtagh, and he now understood why his half-brother was so taken with this elf. Her laughter sounded like the brightest bells of a cathedral, and her features radiated pure joy when she let herself go so freely. Several minutes passed during which the two Riders visibly enjoyed their relaxed behavior. However, a sound that could be best compared to a growling tiger drew their attention. Grimrr, who stood at Murtagh's side in his humanoid form, looked bewildered, alternating his gaze between the two Riders.

"What on earth was that noise, Grimrr? I've never heard anything like it."

"This, my shapeshifting companion, was an attempt to draw your attention to my presence, as you apparently didn't notice my return. But I assume that it's not my behavior but rather my experiences that are of importance right now."

"Unfortunately, you're right. Arya wishes for confirmation of your information from Aberon so that the monarchs can act accordingly."

Arya, desperately trying to regain a somewhat neutral expression, still wondered why she could lose her composure so easily with Murtagh. But when her name was mentioned in the conversation, she managed to regain her usual composed tone.

"Although I don't like doing it, I really need assurance that such sensitive and disturbing information is true. Especially the dwarves will not readily trust information coming from you."

"This is unfortunately quite understandable, Argetlam Arya."

With an apologetic gesture, the King of the Werecats looked at the male Dragon Rider, who skillfully waved off the gesture.

"Don't worry about it, Grimrr. Time will tell if I will regain the trust of society, but let's not dwell on my past and focus on important matters."

"Well said, Murtagh. Grimrr, is it true that a dark creature resides in the catacombs of Aberon and that the King's staff has been infiltrated? What's the deal with the events in that dungeon?"

"To our great regret, this is indeed true. I can't provide a detailed description of the creature as its presence alone filled me with an overwhelming urge to flee, which is never a good sign. The servant that this creature has infiltrated into King Orrin's ranks also seemed highly suspicious to me. However, I suspect that the King is aware of the presence of dark forces among his ranks. As for the events in the dungeon, I can only make educated guesses. During my investigations, I came across human plans to create a regiment to combat wild and dark beasts. That's why they bring people there to fight against the black plague. However, these fights are usually deadly, as they are always outnumbered. The presence of the unhatched Ra'zac further strengthens my suspicion that this dungeon serves solely for breeding this black brood."

"That sounds really unsettling. When we also consider the attack on the youngest member of the Order, we need to put a stop to King Orrin and his dark minions as soon as possible. I will immediately meet with King Orik and inform him. Although you won't like it, please remain reachable for me so that we can contact each other if necessary. I will have to postpone my planned departure to the East, reluctantly."

Murtagh reluctantly confirmed Arya's request, not particularly fond of waiting for instructions from others. While the conversation partners discussed various details of the events in the Surdan kingdom, they were unaware that their conversation was no longer confidential. A curious young Dragon Rider had returned to the Dragonhold, as instructed, and wanted to report her observations to her mentor but became a witness to an intriguing conversation.

"Anna! If Mistress Arya and Master Firnen were to find out that you were eavesdropping on confidential conversations, you will be in real trouble! Didn't you understand anything that Mistress Arya told you this afternoon? Too much curiosity is not always advantageous!"

"Now calm down, Altaris. It's not my fault that she's having such conversations in a publicly accessible space. Besides, we are also part of this conversation, and I don't want to be kept in the dark about such important information! But what bothers me the most is that our journey to Master Eragon is being delayed, and I was really looking forward to it!"

"Can't you think about anything else?! Either make yourself known now and report on your task, or retreat immediately! I don't want to deal with the trouble caused by your insatiable curiosity again..."

A very loud and menacing roar abruptly ended the sentence of the pitch-black young dragon. Anna was almost scared to death by the sound that resonated throughout her body. A second later, she was pressed to the ground by something large and powerful. Firnen had sensed a slight disturbance at the entrance of their cave and found a eavesdropping Anna. It never occurred to him, as a dragon, to simply lecture his students with words when they violated his privacy, which was considered a significant offense. Arya, who had casually observed the whole scene, bid farewell to Murtagh and Grimrr, promising to keep them updated. With a dangerous expression on her face, she approached the intruders. Altaris, initially reflexively trying to help his rider, shrank completely under the wrathful gaze of his green master. With a calm tone that signaled danger to the two fledglings, Arya began to speak.

"Firnen, loosen your grip a little, or Anna will suffocate. I must say, I am truly disappointed in both of you. Not only have you completely ignored our advice and leniency from this afternoon, but you have also violated the cardinal rule of a dragon's privacy in their dwelling. If we didn't know you both, Firnen would tear your heads off without hesitation."

"Mistress, I'm sorry..."

"Silence. The conversation you shamelessly eavesdropped on must remain a secret under all circumstances, and I expect both of you to swear in the ancient language to never utter a single word about it without my explicit permission. Until I come up with a more suitable disciplinary measure, this will have to suffice."

"I swear to never utter a single word about this conversation and its contents without your explicit approval. Mistress, I'm truly sorry..."

"And now disappear into your cave. I don't want to see either of you for at least three days, as Firnen wouldn't react quite as diplomatically if you were to face him now. However, to ensure you don't neglect your training, Anna, you will begin each morning with the Dance of the Snake and Crane and spend the afternoon exploring your surroundings with your mind, as instructed. This task should be suitable for such a curious character like yourself. Altaris, you will continue working on your endurance and report to your rider about your experiences with updrafts, air holes, and the muscle groups required for flight. I expect a detailed report from both of you at our next meeting!"

With these words, Arya turned away from the scene, only noticing Firnen releasing Anna. As soon as the two youngsters had disappeared, the Green Dragon informed his rider that he would go outside to let off some steam.

I hope I wasn't TOO diplomatic... Firnen is already boiling with anger! But an disobedient student is the least of my problems right now. After all, I have some time to contemplate suitable countermeasures for the situation in Surda... Oh Eragon, I miss you here, and especially for myself...

0