Chapter 33 – Anger and Grief of the Rejected
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Now go back to your tent and get some sleep, little one. You must be completely exhausted," said Eragon, lying near his campsite in the grass and staring at the clear night sky. Saphira watched him as she descended, wanting to lie down next to her rider. A few moments later, the sapphire-blue dragoness landed gracefully like a cat on the fertile green ground and settled into a comfortable position.

"I am exhausted, my beauty, but these past few days just won't leave my mind. So much has happened," Eragon replied.

"I know exactly what you mean. I thought the examination of your body had already drained you, but you're much tougher than before," Saphira remarked.

"The examination did drain me, but the old dragons could have spared me the procedure. They're still just as wise as before. Besides, the establishment of the complicated protective spells was far more exhausting. I'm actually concerned about something else," Eragon explained.

"Oh, really? Are you still angry with Yaela or rather with Arya?" Saphira hit the mark as if she had known. After Eragon's disillusioning conversation with Arya and the argument between the two elves, Yaela ran off without giving any explanation.

"Of course, I'm angry, and both of them! How could they withhold such important information from me?! If I had known beforehand, my plans for future students would look completely different. Right now, every new Rider with a young dragon has to make a journey to Tronjheim, and when I hear that Anna and Altaris were almost kidnapped or killed despite the highest secrecy, it makes me sick. How am I supposed to build and protect the new Order if nobody gives me even remotely important information?!"

"Little one..."

"Don't 'little one' me! I've been capable of making significant changes, providing help and advice, and above all, taking responsibility for a long time now. Moreover, I can't make sense of their argument at all. And on top of that, Yaela is obviously trying to win my favor. I ask you again, Saphira, why does nobody take me seriously? And why does everyone think they can decide something that concerns me or the Order without me?!"

Eragon was so caught up in his anger that he didn't notice multiple pairs of eyes fixed on him and looking in his direction.

"Haven't I proven in my life enough times that I'm trustworthy and dependable? And now, the Eldunarí are worried that I'll turn into some new power-hungry individual."

"Eragon Bromsson, listen to me carefully. Nobody, absolutely nobody, thinks that way about you. The old dragons merely expressed slight concern about your new power. The monarchs of Alagaësia decide on the information you receive or don't receive, considering that you can't assist with most matters at the moment. And as for Yaela... I do bear some small responsibility for that."

Saphira's mental voice became quieter at the end of her sentence, intentionally avoiding eye contact with her rider by gazing up at the night sky. Eragon's mood abruptly changed from anger and self-pity to angry bewilderment.

"What do you mean, my beauty?"

"Little one, I... I'm sorry. I meant well and thought it wouldn't harm you or Yaela if you both chose each other as nesting partners. A few days ago, when we sat together by the campfire, she asked for my blessing regarding her feelings for you, and since I didn't want to see you suffer anymore, I granted it."

"You... WHAT?! How could you do such a thing? Yaela was my first real friend in my life. I never had anyone I could tell everything to, except for you. Roran is my cousin, and we grew up like brothers, but I could never confide personal matters like MY feelings for someone to him or anyone else. Do you realize what you've done? You've taken away my only true friend!"

"Eragon..."

"I understand that you want to help me and can't bear to see me like this, but to help me in this way... I can't comprehend it."

Saphira fell silent.


"We really shouldn't disturb our mother and her Rider. Let's fly back to our cave. Mother allowed us to live independently for a reason," Higo suggested.

"Don't be such a coward, Higo! It's just getting interesting now that Master Eragon looks like he's about to attack Mother!" Kira replied.

Kira, Nila, and Higo circled like hungry vultures above the two arguing beings. When their mother released them into a pre-scouted cave in the evening, all three dragons wanted to go hunting independently. Since the sun had long set and they weren't yet familiar with their new hunting territory, the three young dragons planned to fly to familiar areas to catch their meals.

"Nila! Do you really think that Master Eragon and our mother would fight each other? You know our Master is a kind-hearted biped. He has protected us and shared his cloth cave with both of us since we were born!" Kira reasoned.

"Sorry, Kira. I'm just curious to see how strong our Master really is and if he could take on a full-grown dragon," Nila explained.

"As if there would ever be a biped who could match our natural strength. Now, let's fly back. I don't want to get in any more trouble because of you two wild ones," Higo intervened, finally asserting his will.

After this discussion, which escalated a bit further but ended with Higo getting his way, they made their way back to the hilly region, as the three young dragons simply called it, in the north.


Of course, the sapphire blue dragoness noticed the presence of her three wards due to her attentiveness, but at that moment, she only wanted to focus on her Rider. Since she still owed her Rider a response, he surprised her by changing the topic of conversation.

"Even though I'm really angry with Arya and Yaela, that's not what has been occupying my mind all this time," Eragon said, calming down a bit with each word, allowing Saphira to break her silence with some guilt.

"What's been troubling you, Little One?" she asked.

"It's about that strange white smoke I emitted, according to your memory. I've been thinking about it almost non-stop but can't come up with a plausible explanation. I don't even have a vague idea."

"Maybe you're gradually transforming into a dragon-like being. The theory of the Eldunarí, that you yourself are one of them, supports that assumption."

"Don't be ridiculous, Saphira. I'm definitely not becoming a dragon. How else would I enjoy our flights on your back? Besides, I'm still not convinced by the explanation of the old dragons. As powerful as they may be, I just can't imagine that they could cause such a drastic change over such a vast distance."

"Perhaps we should continue our search for your true name. That would certainly reveal a lot more about your condition."

After a long period of silence, Eragon agreed with his blue dragoness and closed his eyes. He didn't want to go back to his tent at this hour and decided to spend the night under the open sky. However, just before he entered the state of waking sleep, he nudged his soulmate in his mind.

"I'm really angry with those two, but I can't be mad at you. I'm sorry for snapping at you earlier. You only meant well."

"No, I'm sorry, Little One. I shouldn't have made decisions like that without considering your thoughts."

"It's alright, my beautiful one. Now, let's rest and postpone the problems to tomorrow. I'm really exhausted."

"As you wish. Good night, Little One."

"Good night, Saphira."


Yaela, who was unaware of the little altercation between the two, leaned against a rock near the entrance to the island, gazing at the grass beneath her. Silent tears had been streaming down her face since she left Eragon's tent.

Why did I do all of this? I knew from the beginning that he would never choose me over her, and then I let myself be provoked by HER. Now I can never face him again. Damn it!

Unbeknownst to Yaela, a person emerged from the stone watchtower at the entrance of the island and approached her. Carefully, they sat down beside the elf and remained silent. Only when this person slowly leaned against the rock as well did the sorrowful figure look up at their new companion.

"What can I do for you, Bloëdhgarm? I really don't have the ability to engage in conversation with anyone."

"You don't have to, Kolibri. You just need to share your grief with someone and not bear the burden of your feelings alone."

A faint smile appeared on Yaela's face as she heard her nickname.

"You haven't called me that in ages."

"And yet, that name still brings a smile to your face. If you want to talk to me, I'm here for you."

"I know. You've been there for me since then, and I'll be forever grateful to you, Bloëdhgarm."

They didn't say much more and sat silently next to each other, lost in their own thoughts.

0