Chapter 205 – Caliburn
114 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“...se.”

Viviane stirred. Her body that should have long lost all feeling by now responded to the faint sound that seemingly originated from an everdistant source. No matter how she struggled to close the distance, it remained out of reach.

Like a daring bird attempting to fly to the sun, or a curious fish trying to swim to the ocean’s end, there were some things that simply weren’t possible regardless of the effort put in.

Not unless the sun dropped to the level of the bird, or the ocean receded so that the fish could reach its end.

“Arise, Child of Eventide.”

Viviane’s upper body shot up, lurching forward and thrusting her hand out as if she were attempting to grab something. “Medrauta!”

She had shouted reflexively, only to realize that the silver-haired knight she sought was nowhere to be seen. There was nothing around her but an infinite expanse of pure white. The ground beneath her rippled in the wake of her own movement... and that of another’s.

Viviane twisted herself around, only to find herself face-to-face with none other than Merlynne. She jolted upward in surprise, scrambling to her feet and backing up several paces before finally managing to calm herself.

The woman’s dark blue hair flowed elegantly around her shoulders, each strand like a razor sharp blade ready to be fitted to a hilt. Her silver eyes glowed with an inner strength only possessed by well-forged weapons. Cloaked in a resplendent gown, Merlynne stood before Viviane in all her glory, no longer broken and affixed to that accursed black cross of Amelia’s design.

“Hello, Child of Eventide.”

“E-Emrys...!” Viviane exclaimed. “If you’re here too, then... Are we dead?”

Merlynne shook her head. “No. Not yet, though I will soon be entering Aluvsha’s embrace.”

“W-What!? Why!?”

“I am currently using all my remaining power to sustain your life after the witch pierced your heart. We do not have the time for me to explain all the intricacies of how I am able to do so.” Merlynne said, shutting down Viviane’s question before she even had the chance to voice it.

“...I see.” Viviane pursed her lips, a frown creasing her brow. 

Knowing that she was only being kept alive through Merlynne’s sacrifice was a rather heavy burden to bear when she was still dealing with the fact that she had practically died mere moments ago. She turned her thoughts away from herself and toward the person she cared about most.

“Is... Is Medrauta alright?” She asked tentatively, not sure if she truly wanted to know the answer. Should Medrauta have died, Viviane likely would’ve given up on all desire to survive. Much to her relief, Merlynne nodded.

“She is currently fighting for your sake as we speak, but I do not think she will last long against the witch.” Merlynne replied. “Right here and now, you must make a choice, Child of Eventtide.”

“...What choice?”

“Our time runs short, as does my ability to explain such things. In short, I can bring you back to life at the cost of my own, but doing so will cause you to fully inherit the power of the Lake.”

“What do you mean...?”

“To wield the full power of the Lake means becoming an existence similar to mine.” Merlynne touched a hand to her chest, causing her form to shimmer and become translucent.

Viviane’s eyes widened as she looked upon Merlynne’s see-through body, staring at the opaque object which seemed to hover in the center of her chest. It was a beautiful sword, its blade forged with pure silver that almost seemed to glow. Its gilded edges coupled with its ornately decorated hilt made it appear as though it was better suited for sitting in a treasury, but its perfectly honed blade spoke volumes of its true worth as a weapon.

“Merlynne was not my first name, nor was it Emrys.” Merlynne said. “But there is no need for me to tell you, is there, Child of Eventide? I’m sure you’ve already guessed my true identity.”

“...Caliburn.”

“Indeed. To become the ‘Lady of the Lake’ is to bear Caliburn within your body. You and the blade of legend shall be one and the same. That is the reason why your mother rejected this inheritance, why she sought to distance you from it... And why I stand here before you with a body.”

“I... have to become the sword of legend?” Viviane frowned. “What will happen to my body?”

“Nothing. It will remain the same, but you will harbor Caliburn within you, becoming a blade. It is a lonely existence, for those who touch you shall be cut unless they are worthy of its name. Your very existence will become like mine, sharp enough to rend even time itself if you so desire. And most importantly... You will live forever, Child of Eventide. Forever, until the power of the Lake is passed down once again.”

“...And the alternative?”

“The alternative is your life for mine. I will consume what lifeforce you have left, along with the power of your Crest. Through it, I shall free myself from the shackles that Amelia has placed upon me and support Medrauta as the sword of legend. Should you choose such a path, then Medrauta’s victory is assured. I have seen much and have cut down far greater witches than Amelia. So long as I am by her side, she will never know defeat.”

“...Even if you were to face my mother?”

Merlynne nodded without hesitation. “Should Medrauta wield me, even Artoria must kneel. It would be a difficult fight, but not one that I envision losing.”

So only one of us can live, huh...? I suppose that makes sense, seeing as both Emrys and I are on the verge of death... Viviane sighed, her hand unconsciously reaching up to her chest where Amelia had pierced her. In the Lake, her body bore no wounds, but she swore she could still feel the piercing pain and the excruciating sensation of her blood being forcibly extracted.

She wrenched her eyes shut as she attempted to parse the choices she was given, her heart aching with every passing second. Merlynne tapped her foot impatiently, reminding Viviane that she was quite literally on borrowed time.

If I return, Emrys dies... But if I don’t Medrauta will win... She’ll live for sure. Viviane grit her teeth. It was a difficult choice, but in the end, there was only one option she could pick.

“...I want to go back to Medrauta... I have so many more things I want to do with her. So many things I haven’t said to her yet... But I can’t.” Viviane kept her eyes closed as she spoke, not trusting herself to open them and allow a torrent of tears to pour forth. “Not if it means killing you in the process.”

Merlynne smiled. “I knew you would say that, Viviane.”

“H-Huh!?” Viviane’s eyes snapped open as she stared at Merlynne in surprise. For the first time since they met, Merlynne had called Viviane by her name. There was pride in the woman’s voice, but also a slight tinge of sadness that caught Viviane’s attention.

The blue-haired woman’s body glowed brightly, a mixture of gold and silver light bursting forth from her hovering form and creating a vast display of dancing lights around the area, dyeing the Lake in a beautiful canvas of color. She wore a smile on her face, but it was not an expression of joy. Rather, Merlynne’s visage displayed a strange amalgamation of relief and regret as she continued to invoke whatever strange power she was drawing forth.

“I’m glad I chose you as my successor.”

“W-What are you—” Viviane gasped as the motes of light shooting forth from Merlynne’s body entered her own. With each spark of light that fused with Viviane’s body, the glow around Merlynne’s form began to dim and so too did her form.

Every shimmer of light that departed Merlynne’s body caused her to become more and more translucent, as if her very existence was fading away. Just like before, the only thing that remained constant was the blade floating in the center of where Merlynne stood.

“N-No! This isn’t what I wanted!” Viviane shouted desperately, but Merlynne continued to fuel the ritual, transferring the power of the Lake to Viviane in full. “Stop, Emrys! Please!”

Viviane rushed toward the rapidly fading woman, hoping to somehow stop her before it was too late. But just as she couldn’t fly to the sun nor swim to the end of the ocean, neither could she stop Merlynne from disappearing from this world. In her desperation, she had tried to grab Merlynne, but her hand completely passed through the woman’s ethereal form.

In another second, the final mote of light nested itself within Viviane’s body and Merlynne disappeared entirely. The only proof she had ever existed was the blade that still remained hovering where she once stood.

“...Take it, Viviane.” Merlynne’s voice echoed through the Lake. Though her body was no longer present, Viviane could still feel the last vestiges of the woman’s presence continue to linger, as if remaining to ensure that Viviane properly inherited her birthright.

Wordlessly, Viviane complied, reaching out and grasping Caliburn by the hilt. The moment she touched the sword of legend, it emitted a bright flash of gold and silver light before disappearing. Amidst the turmoil of mixed emotions brewing within Viviane, she now felt an overpowering strength that rose above all else. Instinctively, she understood its purpose, its meaning, and how to best use it.

She had become Caliburn, and it had become her.

“Go forth now, Viviane.” Merlynne’s voice rang in Viviane’s ears for the final time. “And when you return... Please tell Medrauta that I’m sorry I couldn’t be there for her all these years... and that I’m proud of the woman she’s become.”

“...I will.” Viviane said, a stream of tears rolling down her cheeks. “Farewell, Emrys.”

8