Prologue: the beginning
558 4 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ok we’re gonna let you in on a secret .” Said one of his older cousins. “You promise not to tell anyone?”

“Yes, I cross my heart hope to die, stick a needle in my eye!” The 10 year old Matt replied earnestly to his older cousins: Mary, and John.

“Ok. But first we will need to go into the forest behind the house.” Said Mary before she, John , and Matt all raced to the woods.

It was a nice and hot summer day with a gentle breeze , the perfect day to play outside in the nearby woods. Their Aunts and Mothers didn’t like them playing in the woods behind the family summer home, but the Uncles and Fathers thought it good and healthy for them to play back there as it is what they did when they were young. It also helped that ticks, wolves, mountain lions and bobcats were all incredibly rare in the area and bears were even rarer. 

After 12 minutes of walking through bushes and trees the small group of 3 soon came upon a small clearing, where 3 more people were waiting for them. After a quick look at the 3 it became clear that these 2 were there their twin cousins Jackie (short for Jacquline) and Jackson. And the 3rd person was one of Matt’s friends Nathan.

“Nathan?! What are you doing here?” Matt exclaimed in wonderful surprise. 

“Well , your cousins came looking for my twin sister Charlie (short for Charlotte) to come be apart of this secret of theirs, but she is away for the summer at the TTRPG (Table Top Roleplaying Game) camp called Camps 'n' Creatures. So they invited me instead.” Nathan explained nonchalantly. 

Matt slightly blushes at the mention of the chocolate brown haired girl whom he had been best friends with since preschool. This doesn’t go unnoticed by Mary and Jackie.

“Ok…wait why didn’t you go too? You love playing the RPG called Bones And Beasts.” Matt quickly questioned. 

“I was sick on the day we were supposed to leave for camp and so I didn’t get to go.” Nathan replied sadly. 

“Well this is gonna be even more exciting than going to some dumb camp!!” Jackie excitedly cuts in, jumping up and down with a grin on her face.

This cheered Nathan up instantly. I look around and see the big proud grins on all of my cousins faces.

“Ok here’s the deal. For years we have been playing a fantasy game of our own design. We have given it an extensive lore and history behind it. We even use character sheets so that we don’t forget who our characters are!” Jackson started enthusiastically. 

“And we have decided to let you guys in on it!” Mary continued.

“So what do you guys think? Do you want in?” Asked John.

“Absolutely!” Matt and Nathan exclaimed in unison.

“One thing. We were going to invite Nathan next summer and have Charlie and Matt join this summer to keep things even. So one of you will need to play a female character.” Jackie said worriedly.

“ We’ll let you guys talk that out. but it’s not so bad to have to play a character of the opposite gender. It’s a normal thing to do in RPGs and what not.” Mary interjected quickly. 

Matt looked At Nathan and immediately knew that Nathan was worried that he would have to because he was invited in Charlie’s place. Matt turned to Mary, Jackson, John, and Jackie; and said …

“I will do it.” 

Matt could see that Nathan was very grateful and that Jackie and Mary had giddy grins on their faces.

“But I will not play a princess or anything like it!” Matt quickly added.

This did cause Jackie and Mary to feel a little disappointed.  but grins quickly formed back on their faces as they looked at each other evilly.

Hello there Readers! I hope you enjoy the premise so far. Now I’m a newer writer so if you see any spelling errors or know a better way of phrasing something please feel free to let me know. And the same thing goes for ideas that you may have for the story. Thank you for reading!

19