Chapter 2: A Sad Beginning
30 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Pain and hatred. Are there any more basic feelings than these after all the horrors I have seen in this world? Our kind has always been at war with one another as it is the law and balance of this world's order. That is what our kind's scholars and historians have theorized since our ancestors first met.

We have never considered complete domination or genocide with the other dominant species since we are many and diversified. We sought out exchanges of culture and trade like many others throughout our history, but those apes have taken this joke too far. They have not only oppressed, coerced, and enslaved their own kind but did so quickly to our own.

Few individuals could be seen as good people and be worked with, but their own kind ousted them. They, along with many other peaceful tribes, were wiped out in genocidal acts of aggression. We found out too late. The bodies were used as fertilizer or food reserves, and any structures were quickly replaced with their own supplements. What barbarism left them to not only drive them out but complete extermination?

Not long after, our tribes gathered together and raised a flag like the enemy and created a nation. We became a potent threat to them, and we thought this would deter their advances, but it didn't last. A great war soon broke out.

The war was long, and we lost. Settlement after the settlement was taken until nothing was left. They enslaved those they found similar or valuable to their own species as a slave populace among one of the many human nations. At the same time, the rest only slaughtered all until nothing remained—mass extinction from our people and culture.

Some scientists found and experimented on me in the war's final days. It was painful, but I was proud. They knew I was the last of my kind, but they gambled with my life to be the hope of us all.

They succeeded. I have been made into a repository of our many kinds of kin. My species had the trait to mimic any species, but they have changed me so that I could become any of them. I can now give life to the tribes that have been lost. What have they done to me?

So now we may all be able to walk on the surface of this planet and bring balance to it once again? It isn't easy. I wish to let my hatred take hold of me and kill any human I see, but I have to live not only for me but for everyone else.

I was once a noble and could change my beauty however I pleased, but now I am hiding from these lesser beings of violence. I wish the weather would change and wipe out most of them, but I don't feel that possibility would happen.

I have to find people that are like the peaceful people that were betrayed, and I might be able to lead a mediocre life among the humans in a quiet settlement, but I do not want to lose this hatred so quickly. I don't even want the idea of my mate to be one of these lesser beings as my spouse, but that would stop the birth of most of our kind.

I will have to figure this out later for my future self, but being on the run is not helping. I was said to be salvation and a new queen, but I am hiding like a rat and a despicable creature now hated by the world.

I think I will go north and look for any tombs filled with ancient knowledge that the humans haven't found so that I may gain the advantage. I hate not changing forms, even if I am a doppelganger. Is there no greater humiliation than this? Being restricted, I must stay hidden, or all of their sacrifices will be in vain.

 

 

It has been five months since I have been searching in the ruins of the last great demon king. I wonder if there is nothing left in these ruins that have been stripped on the surface. I only am glad that no human has come here since.

In the recognizable distance, a lone set of footsteps was echoing. Did a human come? It doesn't sound like an animal, and the crows left haven't become that intelligent without us. Should I hide or dare to look? I know that curiosity snared the fairy, but I have to know if there is a group and if this place is no longer safe.

I see a human! It looks male. Is it from upper society with that black full petty coat? It seems foolish not to wear armor in these parts or have a weapon on hand. Maybe the fool thinks there is nothing here but the crows to fear now? No, those high-established humans always have someone accompanying them, if not in the shadows. What could he be doing here?

Is it wearing black obsidian on its face?

It is looking this way! Did it see me? What do I do? Run. No, fight! Wait, that's it. I warp my throat and let out the ugly cry of the crow. That should give me the cover that I need. Yes, now it is time to sneak away, plan for another place to rest, and continue controlling all my new forms.

"Kaaa," said the woman.

What! No, no! How did he get in front of me? He shouldn't be able to stand in front of me. Should I run, dig or fly? Fly! Harpy feathers grow from my arms, dragon wings from my back, and succubus wings from my hips as I jump into the sky.

No! How does he grab me by my throat? What sort of monster is he? How is he floating? I can't understand what he is saying. Is this the end? Am I going to die? What is that thing? Why does a sphere of energy mirror everything around it?

He let me go. I'm falling. I can fly away now!

No! I am being pulled towards the sphere. It hurts. Why can't I go? I want to live. I could breathe easily. The pain was gone from my throat, and the sensation of falling back embraced me.

I screamed, "Help, please!" I reach out only to see a face of sorrow looking at me. All was dark. Is this death? Did I die? I didn't feel pain. I guess it was in an instant. What is there now? Is there life after death? I think then, aren't I alive?

All went white, then blue. I was falling again but from a beautiful blue open sky. I feel my mind slipping. Am I going to die again? Can I not be saved? All is going fuzzy and spinning as darkness takes everything away from me. I might survive this fall by changing my body.

I can still fly. I need to get some lift and.....

0