Chapter 76: Brutus
80 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a completely different atmosphere on the third floor in comparison to the second floor. In fact, I was already wishing I was back in that library reading.

 

There were multiple raiders who were solemnly focused on their training at the moment. They were so focused that none of them bothered to turn their heads to us as we made our way through the third floor.

 

I watch as Regina grins while nodding her head to the training raiders who were paying her no mind whatsoever. She had a wide grin on her face, and it was a grin that you could easily tell that she was impressed with their progress.

 

I could feel myself getting sweaty seeing all of them training, hacking away at target dummies like it was nobody's business. What I was most concerned about at the moment, however, was who exactly is my training instructor going to be?

 

Honestly, it could be anyone, but I know that Regina wouldn't let just anyone train me, especially since I had a Sacred Weapon in my possession. No, it had to be someone worthy enough to teach me. 

 

But at this point, I feel like anyone is worthy of teaching me. I'm completely inferior compared to anyone else here. Hell, I don’t belong here anyways. If anything, all I want is out. Once I kill Regina, I’m getting the fuck out of here and away from this group forever. But for now, I just have to play along. 

 

I’d be lying if I said that this base wasn’t nice, though– and the tour’s not even close to being finished yet. Is it bad that I’d take this place over the tavern back in Harlan Village any day of the week? 

 

It wasn’t long before we reached the second half of the training grounds. The third floor was separated in half. One half of the floor was strictly for training with melee weaponry, and the second half was pretty much an indoor shooting range. There were a few raiders who were practicing their archery, hitting target dummies. 

 

It made sense that these people would train in archery as well, especially if some sort of threat were to find this base. Having archers is definitely an excellent form of defense. Although, it is a little strange seeing them wielding bows, given the fact that I’ve never seen any of them using one, let alone carrying one. 

 

That being said, I wonder if I’m just going to be trained strictly in swordsmanship or if I’m also going to get an opportunity at learning archery as well. I wouldn’t mind doing both, to be honest. As someone as unskilled as myself, I need to learn how to be as versatile as I can be. 

 

“Take a look around, Steven. Look at how focused and strong these men are. They are true warriors; worthy of the title of a Midnight Raider.” Regina says.

 

I choose not to verbally respond, but instead nod my head slightly, which Regina notices.

 

“One day, you’ll be just like them. Strong, skilled, determined, and of course, ruthless.” 

 

I scoff at her words. “Ha. You really think that I’m going to become just like them? Fat chance of that happening. Like I already said, I’m not like you. I’m not like any of you. I don’t belong to your fucking tribe or whatever it is, alright? I will NEVER be one of you!” 

 

“Oh, my dear Steven. You already are one of us.” 

 

“Maybe I am because of our contract, but– unlike you and your men, I actually have morals. That’s what makes us different!” 

 

Regina chuckles. “Oh please, spare me those meaningless words. Just wait. Sooner or later, you will become the greatest man among us.” 

 

Or your worst nightmare. 

 

“I’ve noticed that you've been fidgeting ever since we got here. Are you nervous?” she asked me. 

 

“Nervous?” I pause with a slight chuckle, “Of course not.” 

 

“It’s alright to be nervous, Steven. After all, this is your first time here. But trust me, you will get used to everything eventually.” 

 

“Well, that isn’t exactly what I’m nervous about–” 

 

“Oh, yes. You are just anxious about your training instructor, yes?” 

 

“What? How did you–” 

 

“How did I know? It was plainly obvious. I’m good at reading people’s faces, you know.” 

 

“Okay, good to know…” I say sardonically.

 

“We’re just about to meet him. He’s right down here. And of course, there is no need to worry. Not when I’m here.” 

 

At the end of the third floor, there was a tall, sturdy looking man who was carefully polishing one of those curved swords that all of the raiders typically wielded. His back was turned, but his head turned slightly to the side as we approached him. 

 

“Ah, General Regina. It’s a pleasure to see you back again. And who is this? I’ve never seen him around here before.” the man says as he turns to face us. 

 

The man had a deep, gruff voice. His body was well-toned and tan, and the only clothing he wore was his brown leather belt and bottoms. His pants and belt were made from strong leather too. Extremely durable. Also, his skin looked so hard that it could be armor itself. I’ve honestly never seen anybody with this much muscle before, and this guy must be proud of it if he’s willing to show this much of it off.

 

His face was clean-shaven, same as his head, which shined in the light of the room. The only hair that I could see of his was his thick eyebrows, which were white and rather bushy.

 

“Hello, Brutus.  How are things coming along?” Regina asks.

 

“Quite well. I’ve got the men under control as you can see.” he replies. 

 

“I can see that indeed. Well done, Brutus. It’s clear that I did not make a mistake in choosing you to be the lead trainer of our group.” 

 

“You flatter me, my lady. And no disrespect, but I ask again, who is this man standing alongside you?” 

 

“He is your new apprentice. You are to teach him everything you know.”  

 

Brutus’s emerald eyes widen as he hears these words. 

 

“Apprentice? Don’t tell me that this man, an outsider–” 

 

“I have formed a contract with this man, and he is now one of us, Brutus. Whether he is from our tribe or not is none of your concern. And from here on out, you must treat him with the utmost respect. Am I clear?” Regina says sternly. 

 

Brutus bows his head to her. “Of course, my lady. Forgive me for my disrespect.” 

 

“You are forgiven. Now then, onto more important matters. I am relieving you of your duties to train everyone else here.” 

 

“What? General, what do you mean? I thought you said I was doing a good job!” 

 

“Do not misunderstand. You are doing a wonderful job getting these men into shape, but starting tomorrow, I want you to train this man and this man alone. He’s going to need your help more than anyone else. And it’s because I have so much faith in you as a trainer, you are the only one I can entrust with this job. Do you understand?” 

 

“I understand, General. But may I ask just one thing?” 

 

“You may.” 

 

“Why is it so important that I train this man? He seems to be a regular individual to me. What value would he provide to our group?”

 

“A fair question. You see, I believe that this man has potential to become the greatest warrior our group has to offer. But he is far from that, as you may be able to tell. But as I said, I have faith in you to train him the right way. Also, not only is this man brimming with great potential, but he also possesses one of the Six Sacred Weapons.” 

 

I watch as Brutus’s eyes start to widen once again. 

 

“Six Sacred Weapons?! You mean that this man has one of them, just like you?!” 

 

“He does, and he can prove it too. Would you like a demonstration? I can make him show you.” 

 

“No, my lady, that is not necessary. I know that your words are good, and I will not doubt you.” 

 

“Good. I will have this man, Steven Bale, come to you on this very floor twenty minutes past dawn. I expect you to be ready to train him." 

“Twenty minutes past dawn. Very well, General. I will be ready. Oh, and Mr. Steven Bale, was it?” 

 

Brutus focuses his attention on me now and gives me a piercing glare.

 

“Hm? Yes?” I ask a little nervously. 

 

“You’d best be ready as well. I take my role as a trainer seriously and I expect you to take your role as a trainee seriously.” 

 

“Yes, I understand– I will be ready.” I say sheepishly. 

 

I was anything but ready, but I couldn’t afford to say anything else. 

 

Brutus nods his head. “Very well.” 

 

Regina gives a slight smirk. “Thank you for your time, Brutus. You may return to your weapon polishing. We will not take up any more of your time. After all, I must continue giving a tour to our newest recruit.” 

 

Brutus nods as he continues to polish his sword once more. “Very well, my lady. Please take care.” 


“You as well, Brutus. Come along, Steven. Onto the fourth floor.” 

 

Overall, this guy didn’t seem that bad… well, around Regina obviously. I can only imagine what he’s going to be like in a one-on-one training session…

 

As Regina and I begin to climb up the stairs to the fourth floor, I take a slight look back, and from the corner of my eye, I can see that man, Brutus, continuing to glare at me. 

 

I could feel a tremendous amount of fear and nervousness in my bones. Tomorrow morning I’m going to begin my training with this man. 

 

It’s not going to be easy.

0