Chapter 64: Rest
147 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It felt like I could barely move a muscle when I awoke. I definitely went past my limits this time. But I had no choice. 

 

I struggled to sit up, but when I did, I took a look around the area.  It was evening time, and it was easy to tell due to the bright orange light that was peeking through the trees. Also, the forest was considerably darker now. Nightfall will be approaching soon.

 

I shift my eyes to all corners of the area until I spot Madeline, who is gently sitting up against one of the trees, her eyes closed. She woke up way before me, apparently.

 

I try to stand up, but no matter how hard I try, I am unable to do so. My legs are stiff and in pain, and despite the fact I was out for a while, I still haven't regained much strength. For now, there isn’t a lot I can do until I recover.

 

With the little strength I had left and with much difficulty, I managed to crawl over to the same large tree where Madeline was and also lean up against it. There was no way I would be able to move again for a while.

 

I slowly turn my head and look at Madeline. All of her wounds have fully healed. Those health potions really do work wonders. I sigh in relief at that fact. It looks like now she's just resting peacefully.

 

It's best I don't disturb her though. She deserves this rest, especially after all she's done. 

 

This wasn't how I expected my first quest as an adventurer to go. I thought it was just going to be a simple, straightforward delivery, but it didn't turn out that way at all.

 

There are so many questions that have, mainly about that old man. Who was he? It probably doesn't matter now, because I know for sure that my stab killed him. But still…

 

The guild and that bakery had to be aware of this customer. How could they not? The receptionist said that this is a quest that is put in every so often, so even if anyone from the guild never met him in person, they had to at least know about him from the adventurers who have delivered to him.

 

And speaking of which, what about those adventurers that undertook the same quest? Did they have to deal with that crazy old hermit? Did they even make it back alive? I needed a lot of answers, and I was pissed off that nobody told either of us about that freak.

 

I honestly wanted to beat up the guild, even Mrs. Frost for this. The information about the quest we took was still vague as hell. They all should be telling adventurers every last detail before sending them off on quests.

 

If I had known that the man we'd be delivering to was an unhinged nut job, I never would've accepted. The hornets were one thing, but encountering someone like that draws the line for sure. 

 

I'm only one quest into my adventuring career, and I'm already thinking about quitting. I don't think that it's right for me. I know it's only temporary until we make enough money, but I could've… No, me and Madeline both could've died today. But of course, it's a risk that every adventurer knows.

 

I guess I should've expected something like this to happen. Course I didn’t though.

 

I'm terrified. I don't want to die. Not yet. But if I have no choice but to keep doing this for a while, I have to make sure I'm extra careful next time. I think that the outcome of this first quest served as a lesson for both me and Madeline and will help us when we embark on future endeavors. 

 

My thoughts were interrupted by a soft yawn that came from Madeline, and when I look at her, I see she's stretching her arms as well. Looks like she's waking up.

 

"Steven…?" she says, opening her eyes slowly, proceeding to rub them.

 

I nod gently without saying a word, and shift my head, my eyes now facing forward.

 

"Thank you." she continues in a soft voice.

 

"For what?" I ask, my gaze still focused ahead.

 

"For saving me. I would've been dead if it weren't for you."

 

"You would've done the same for me. It's what party members do for each other."

 

Madeline chuckles slightly. "Still, I owe you my life. The life that could've come to an end today."

 

"Yeah, we both would have lost our lives if I didn't manage to kill those things. But your Divine Shield still helped as well. You did your best."

 

"But it didn't help," Madeline sighs deeply, "I'm still too weak. If only my spells were stronger, I wouldn't have pushed myself too much…"

 

"Well, you kept us safe from an incoming barrage of hornet stingers at least. And don't worry, you're still young. You'll get stronger eventually. Just try not to overdo it next time, okay?"

 

"Yes sir, I'll try not to. Also… I had no idea you were a wielder of a Sacred Weapon. That red sword of yours was the last thing I saw before everything went blank, and there's no way I'm mistaking it for anything else."

 

I stay silent for a moment and then I finally nod my head. "Yeah, that's right. I am a wielder.  A Beginner Wielder, though. I don't have a lot of experience with it."

 

"I see. You still did great though, since you're alive. I think you're amazing."

 

I laugh softly, "Nah, nothing like that. I'm a lot like you. We're both rather inexperienced, and we both still have a long way to go."

 

"You'll be powerful. You're so lucky to have a Sacred Weapon. Those who wield them are by far the most powerful fighters this world has to offer…"

 

"That so? Maybe…" I grin cheekily.

 

I don't really have that much of an ambition to be one of the strongest, but I will keep training regardless.

 

"Just don't tell anyone about it, alright? I don't want to attract too much attention here. I'm trying to keep a low-profile, so to speak."

 

"Mine lips are sealed, Steven." Madeline smiles.

 

"Well, I guess I'd better get some rest," I say. "Hopefully my body will feel better by morning. We can return to the village by then."

 

"Oh, so we're spending the night here?"

 

"I don't think we have much of a choice. I'm not able to move much right now and it's almost nightfall. Too dark to even think about walking through this forest."

 

"What about the hornets? What if more of them show up?"

 

"I doubt they will, but just in case, one of us can keep watch while one of us rests."

 

"I can keep watch," Madeline says, "I think I've rested plenty. Now you go ahead and get some rest of your own."

 

"Alright," I nod, "But make sure to wake me up if you hear or see anything, okay?"

 

I probably won't be much help if there do end up being more hornets, but if there are, I'll have to just try to do what I can.

 

I close my eyes and adjust myself into a more comfortable position, eager to get more rest.

 

"Steven." Madeline says in a low whisper.

 

 

"Hmm?" I grunt, my eyes still closed. 

 

 

"It's morning. It's time to go." 

 

My eyes instantly open and I sit up, yawning and stretching my arms all the while. Morning already, huh?

 

"So, I'm guessing you didn't hear or see any signs of hornets then, right?"

 

"No, not a thing. The night was peaceful and dead silent. You were sleeping like a log."

 

"I figured that," I chuckle, "Can't really say I heard anything during my slumber. I have to say, night went by pretty quick."

 

I look up and I can see the rays of the sun shining through the gaps of trees once again. It was early morning, my guess being right after sunrise. The forest is now clear and visible.

 

A long rest like this was just what I needed, because I was feeling good. Most of the pain I was feeling was gone now, and I could now stand up.

 

After stretching my limbs some more, I let out a big sigh. "Well, guess we'd head back to the village and make our report. Believe me, I have a hell of a lot to say, along with many questions…"

 

"Yeah… what happened yesterday was just…"

 

Madeline didn't finish her sentence. She was so confused by everything that she couldn't even find the right word to describe it. I felt the same exact way.

 

A crazy idea came to me at this moment.

 

"Before we head back, we should probably return to the cottage." I say.

 

"Huh? Are you insane? There are probably more hornets back there and what if that man…"

 

I probably was insane. This was an insane idea, but my curiosity was getting the better of me.

 

"There's no way that man survived. And if we encounter more hornets, I'll deal with them swiftly. I think we should go back and search the place and see if there's anything of interest. Something that will tell us more about him."

 

Normally, I would never suggest something like this, but I had to know everything I could. It turns out I can't just ignore the situation. 

 

"Alright," Madeline nods rather hesitantly, "I'll trust you on this."

 

The cottage wasn't too far from where we were. We just make it back in a few minutes.

 

My hands and clothing were now stained with dried blood, and so were Madeline’s. Not much we could do about it now, though. 

 

Madeline stands up and grabs her golden staff, and after I adjust my leather belt and make sure everything is in order, we head off in pursuit of the cottage once again.

1