Chapter 73: Carriage Ride
115 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Steven’s Point of View

 

At this point, I don’t even know what to feel anymore. I’ve landed myself into a situation that I don’t think I’ll ever be able to get out of and it's tearing me up inside. I keep telling myself that I made the right decision, but at the same time, did I really?

 

No, come on, I have to stop thinking about that. I know for sure that it was the right decision. I had to save that village– I had to. I did the right thing. Right? Right?!

 

I stare down at my hands which were placed in my lap as we rode in the slow-moving carriage. The woman was sitting across from me, and I refused to meet her gaze. I wanted to kill her. I wanted to slit her throat the first chance I could get.

 

“Why are you so glum?” the woman asks me, “You got exactly what you wanted, right? So why aren’t you happy?” 

 

I feel my anger start to reach a boiling point, but I hold myself back from responding in a blatant rage. 

 

“You think this is what I wanted? To become one of you?” 

 

“No, of course not,” the woman chuckles, “I’m aware you just wanted to save that village. But to offer yourself up to us in order to do so…I never expected you to go to such lengths!” 

 

It was the only thing I could have done. What else could I have done at that moment?

 

“You want to know something, Mr. Bale?” she asks me in an almost teasing voice.

 

I finally look up at her and see her cold emerald eyes. She had a super smug expression on her face. I just wanted to punch it repeatedly until it bled.

 

“No. I don’t.” I say coldly. 

 

She ignores me and continues on anyway. 

 

“I didn’t just agree to your proposition simply because you possess one of the Six Sacred Weapons…” 

 

“What? What the hell are you talking about? That has to be the only reason! What other use would you have for someone like me other than for my Sacred Weapon?!”

 

The woman laughs. “I can sense the bloodlust and the hatred radiating off of you, Mr. Bale. I know that there’s nothing that you want more than to kill me and watch me die. Am I wrong?”

 

“W-what– what are you saying?”

 

“What I’m saying is– you have potential.” 

“Potential? Don’t you dare give me that bullshit, you fucking bitch!” 

 

“See? This is exactly what I’m talking about. That anger of yours may as well be an even greater weapon than your sword. This is what the Midnight Raiders need. We need those with potential to be bloodlusted killers; those who are not afraid to get their hands dirty. And you, Mr. Bale, have that potential.”

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m no killer.” I snap.

 

“But you are. Have you forgotten about your crime? I heard that you murdered a woman in cold blood. You stabbed her repeatedly until the floor was stained in red. You are a killer, Steven Bale.” 

 

“No, shut up!” I yell, losing my composure. “That was a mistake. A mistake!” 

 

“It was no mistake, Mr. Bale. You didn’t stop stabbing her, even after she was already long gone. You could have stopped after a little bit, but you didn’t. Only a true killer would have done what you did. There’s no use in denying it.” 

 

“You don’t know a damn thing! I– I lost control at that moment. I wasn’t in my right mind! It was a mistake!” 

 

“The moment that you lost control was the moment that you became a killer, Mr. Bale. Remember that.” 

 

“I don’t have to listen to your words. All you do is spout nonsense.” 

 

“Think of it how you like, Mr. Bale, but sooner or later, you’ll come to terms with what you truly are. Trust me.” 

 

“No. That isn’t going to happen.” 

 

“It will.” 

 

“It won’t! I won’t let it! I’m better than you! I’m better than any of you!” 

 

“You are not.” she smirks.

 

My hands were shaky, and my fists were clenched. She was seriously pissing me off right now. I wasn’t like her. I wasn’t like the rest of them! I wouldn’t– I wouldn’t do the things that they’ve done to innocent people!

 

The woman grins and continues. “You are no better, Mr. Bale. You are a killer, and you will continue to kill while you are under my command. There is nothing you can do to fight it. Just accept it. Accept yourself for who you are.” 

 

I won’t accept it. How can I accept it? This woman was fucking insane. She’s trying to make me believe that I’m a cold-blooded killer when I’m not! Not even close!

 

I couldn’t bear to think about this anymore. I didn’t want to. I know that bad things are coming, and they’re closer than I think. What the fuck am I supposed to do?

 

I took a deep breath in an attempt to calm myself down, but I couldn’t resist saying one more thing to the woman, as impulsive as it may be. 

 

“I’m going to kill you.”

 

The woman does not show any sign of fear whatsoever. Her lips curved into a wicked smirk as she took in my words.

 

“Oh? Are you?” she asks in a playful tone. 

 

“Yeah, that’s right. I’ll be the one to kill you one way or the other. I don’t care if it takes me years to do so; I promise you that one of these days, you will die by my hand!”

 

The woman chuckles as she nods her head. “Well, I am certainly looking forward to it, Steven! But before that day comes, you must do exactly as I command. Remember… you wouldn’t want to break our contract, right?” 

 

“Fuck. You.” 

 

The woman sighs as she grabs a wine bottle that’s sitting on a counter nearby in the carriage. It looked super expensive. 

 

“Red wine made from the Capital winery itself. Would you care to share a drink with me, Mr. Bale? Maybe a little alcohol would loosen you up and rid you of all of that anger.”

 

“You stole that too, didn’t you?” I growl. 

 

“Actually, I did not.” 

 

“Like I would believe a word you say. All you people do is steal, kidnap and kill. I doubt that anything that you own was bought with your own money!” 

 

The woman ignores me and pours the wine carefully into two glasses. After she’s done, she moves a glass towards me on the table between us. 

 

“Go on, Steven. Have a drink. My treat.” 

 

“Keep your damn wine,” I say, “I don’t want anything from you.” 

 

“That’s no way to treat an offer from your superior, is it? You must realize that this bottle of wine cost a lot. I insist that you drink along with me. I have given no one else this special privilege.”  

 

I hated to admit it, but I was parched. Staying in that cell all that time has kept my throat pretty dry. To think that I am now actually considering taking a drink from this woman…

 

I reluctantly move my left hand forward and take the glass, taking a light sip. Holy shit. This really was the good stuff. Despite not being much of a wine guy, this is probably one of the best wines I’ve ever tasted.

 

“Thanks, I guess…” I say bitterly.

 

“You are very welcome, my dear Steven. Enjoy it.” the woman smiles. 

 

I drink more of the wine. It was starting to mellow me out. The intense emotions I was feeling previously were starting to subside. At least for now they were. 

 

I watch as the woman moves her bandana in order to take a sip of wine herself. 

 

“What even is your name, anyways?” I ask. “I don’t believe you ever told me.” 

 

“Ah, my apologies, Steven,” she smiles as she adjusts her bandana. “I am General Regina. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.” 

 

“General?” 

 

“Hm? That’s right. I’m one of the four generals of the Midnight Raiders.” 

 

“There’s four of you?” I ask while raising my eyebrow in a surprised way.

 

“Mhm. Four generals and then one supreme leader that we all answer to.” 

 

Oh, give me a break…

“Each general is the leader of their own section. We have bases set up in different parts of the Human Kingdom. Actually, that’s where we’re currently headed right now. We’re heading back to base. Once we get there, I’ll be sure to personally give you the grand tour.” 

 

This was a more intricate system than I thought. I had no idea that there were generals. It made sense, though.

 

“So, you say that each general is in command of a particular section and base, but what about this supreme leader that you mentioned? Where is he?” 

 

“Apologies, Steven, but the supreme leader’s whereabouts are to be kept confidential. Only me and the other three generals are allowed to know. I hope that you can understand that.” 

 

Yeah, I should have guessed that to be honest.

 

This group was craftier than I thought. Just imagine how many of them there are if they have this many bases around the kingdom. Jesus Christ, I don’t even want to think about it. 

 

I finished my wine completely, and I could already feel myself getting tipsy.

 

“Would you care for some more wine? You look like you still need to loosen yourself up, my dear.” Regina asks.

 

“No, I’m fine– I can already feel myself getting drunk. This is some powerful stuff.” I say.

 

“That it is,” she smiles as she pours herself another glass. “However, I’ve always been able to hold my liquor.”

 

I sigh as I lean back in the carriage’s comfy seat. I feel a lot more relaxed now. 

 

Regina chuckles as she takes a sip from her glass. “Well, you look much more comfortable now, Mr. Bale. I knew that the wine would help.”

 

I ignored her words. I didn’t want to say anything more to her for now. I just needed rest. After everything that’s happened today, I was completely exhausted. 

 

 I close my eyes in silence. 

 

“Ah yes, good idea. You will need plenty of rest before we get back to our base. We will have long days ahead of us, Steven, but as long as you do everything as you are told, your time with us will be just fine.” 

 

Her words ring out through my ears as I try my best to rest. 

 

I knew that it was going to be anything but fine.

1