Chapter 13 : I’m Weak to Things Like This
244 2 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Oh, wow, that's amazing."

"...Indeed."

After successfully completing the errand Sherry asked for, when night fell outside, we finished adjusting the artifact, the control device for the "Greed Eyes," and began our next move.

To avoid being detected by the enemy while moving, Sherry suggested using the secret passage in the vice principal's room. By pushing the books on the bookshelf back, we were able to reveal a hidden door leading to an underground passage, a romantic sight to behold.

"I love this kind of thing."

(Understandable.)

Not many guys dislike this kind of thing. Normally, I wouldn't agree with Cid, but in this case, there's no choice but to nod in agreement.

"...I will definitely save my father."

Unlike us two idiots, Sherry had a serious expression on her face. I'm sorry, I couldn't read the atmosphere.

"I hope your father is safe."

"Cid-kun... Thank you so much."

"I just helped a little. I can't help you anymore. From here on, you have to save the world with your own power."

"Isn't it getting grandiose?"

Expanding from the crisis at the academy to a crisis of the world. I just said it because I felt like it, without any particular meaning. It's frustrating to feel that way given the circumstances.

"Don't worry. I'll continue to be your escort. Let's go."

"Yes! Thank you very much!"

"Cid, you stay hidden in this room."

"Sure. I'll do that."

Sherry has a lantern, so she goes into the secret passage first. I can see fairly well in the darkness, so even without a lantern, it's not a problem.

After confirming that Sherry has moved a sufficient distance, I quickly put a stop to whatever mischief Cid is about to cause.

"Cid. Don't get carried away just because I'm not here, okay?"

"I know. Take care of Sherry for me."

"...I'll catch up later."

I cut the conversation short and follow Sherry into the secret passage. From here on, Cid will most likely go to the Grand Hall, where the enemy is entrenched. The members of Shadow Garden are there too, so there's no need to worry.

"Oh... It's darker than I thought."

I start to feel a little anxious as I follow Sherry.

Several minutes have passed since we started advancing through the secret passage. Except for helping Sherry, who almost slipped due to the poor footing, we have been making progress smoothly.

"I-I'm sorry for the trouble..."

"No, it's part of the job."

The way I said it might be a little off, but if I say it like this, Sherry won't worry about it. It's the truth that I'm doing it as part of my job.

"Oh, Sherry-san, I have one request."

"Yes? What is it?"

"I would like you to keep it a secret that we were together during this time, except for Cid. Especially from the Crimson Knights."

"W-Why?"

I can't really say it's because I'm physically impossible to be here. I come up with an excuse that I've reluctantly become skilled at and respond to Sherry in a friendly voice.

"...Actually, this escort was my own decision. If the Crimson Knights find out, there might be severe punishment, and in the worst-case scenario, I might be expelled. I know it's a selfish argument, but please, I'm begging you."

"...Even so, you came to help me... Takumi-kun, like Cid-kun, you're kind."

Calling me the same as that guy is an insult to me, but I'll endure it for now.

"Understood. I won't tell anyone other than Cid-kun that Takumi-kun was protecting me. I promise as a friend!"

"...Thank you."

Safe. This means I won't be treated as a doppelganger during the post-incident interrogation. If that were to happen, there would be no way to bluff my way out, and I would have to quit both the Crimson Knights and the academy and rely solely on Shadow Garden. Well, that wouldn't be so bad, though.

"Well, I'm just a figurehead vice-leader too."

I call Cid a figurehead leader, but in reality, I'm also a figurehead. It's Alpha and the other members of the Seven Shadows who have expanded the organization. If asked what I have contributed, I don't have a particular answer to give.

Besides taking care of Cid, I've trained the members in Cid's place, read the regular reports from the organization in Cid's place, and visited the headquarters in Cid's place... Wait a minute? Am I not just a figurehead?

"Um... Takumi-kun?"

"Yes, what is it?"

As I start to get annoyed thinking that Cid is more of a figurehead than me, Sherry, who is walking behind me, speaks up. I can't see her face, but she seems tense in some way.

"I-Is Cid-kun... um, have you been friends since... well, childhood?"

"We've been acquainted for quite some time."

It's been about seven years or so. I have to give myself credit for that.

"Why do you ask?"

"W-Well, I never had any friends when I was little... S-So, Cid-kun was my first friend."

It's unfortunate that her first friend was that guy. Wait, is this a boomerang effect? Well, it's not like I consider him a friend or anything.

"That's why, I didn't know what normal friends do together... Haha, my father even told me that it's not good to just focus on research."

Sherry laughs dryly. I'm sorry, but our relationship is not the heartwarming one you imagine. It's disrespectful to define it based on us as "friends."

"If you don't mind, could you tell me? Stories about the two of you."

She probably wants to distract herself from the tension brought on by the situation, but it's hard to refuse when she asks with such anticipation.

I search for memories that would satisfy Sherry, even though the chances are slim.

"Friends go on picnics together, right?"

(...Picnics)

"Takumi~, let's go hunting thieves~"

...Rejected.

"We laughed together doing ordinary things!"

(...Ordinary things.)

"Hey, Takumi, isn't the design of this mask cool?"

...Rejected.

"I also admire working together on something!"

(...Working together.)

"No, it's like this! You open the letter like this! I'll keep doing it until you get it!"

...Rejected.

"Friends also have secrets, right?"

(...Secrets.)

"Takumi is my right-hand man, so he should stand on my right side, right? No, maybe it's better to be on the right side as seen from the enemy's perspective? In that case... should it be my left side?"

...Rejected.

(...I don't have any good memories like that.)

As Sherry talks about her aspirations with a sparkling gaze, I try to recall memories that would fit, but not a single suitable one comes to mind. On the contrary, it feels refreshing.

"Did Cid-kun and Takumi-kun also do things like that?"

"...Huh? Ah, well, yes."

"Wow! That's wonderful! ...I want to try doing that someday too."

This is fine. As long as I become an adult, I can protect her ideals. Hearing her joyful voice filled with excitement helps to calm down my irritation towards Cid.

"My father took me in and became my family after my mother passed away. He treated me with affection like a real daughter, and I am a fortunate person."

If he took her in, that means Vice Principal Ruslan, her father, isn't biologically related to her. ...She has her own complexities as well.

"My mother was the one who initially researched the 'Greed Eyes'... That's why I have to do something about the 'Greed Eyes.'"

Sherry shares her past again, emphasizing her determination. It was a heavy topic, so I couldn't find any words to respond.

"I'm sorry for bringing up such a topic suddenly... Takumi-kun, you're a good listener."

"...No, not really."

As I search for words to reply, Sherry speaks up with a determined voice before me.

"I want to save my father. Just like you saved me, I want to save my father this time."

"...Don't worry. I'm here too."

"Yes! Thank you, Takumi-kun!"

I can sense the joy in her voice, even without seeing her smile. I relax my lips a little and, at the same time, cover my eyes with my finger, hoping she won't notice.

(...I'm weak to this kind of conversation.)

It's a good thing Cid isn't here. If he were, he would undoubtedly tease us. He has no consideration for others' feelings, so even if he heard Sherry's story, he would react with his usual indifference.

As I mentioned to Sherry, it's my job to protect her. However, I'm not such an unfeeling person as to completely separate my personal emotions from it. Even if it's troublesome, I'll do my best to help Sherry as much as I can.

(...But)

There's one thing that bothers me. Who took out the 'Greed Eyes,' which were supposed to be under the country's control?

If the Cult, which has infiltrated various organizations, is involved, it's possible that it was stolen. However, in that case, there should have been reports of it being stolen from the country's side.

Princess Iris is not only the first princess but also the leader of the Crimson Knights. If a dangerous artifact like the Eye of Greed was stolen, it would be strange if she hadn't heard about it as an incident. But I haven't heard anything about it from Princess Iris, which makes it unlikely that it was stolen.

(If the Cult is involved with the country's organization and covered it up...? Or maybe... No, that's not possible.)

I considered a certain possibility but quickly dismissed it.

It's not just unlikely, it's a possibility I don't want to be true.

If this prediction is correct... the world would be far too cruel.

"Takumi-kun, we should be able to reach the Great Hall soon."

"...Let's proceed without letting our guard down, Sherry-san."

Regardless of the outcome, my responsibilities remain the same.

To protect Sherry, to check on Shadow's condition, to replace New and blend in without being discovered... There's a lot to do.

As I quietly sigh, Sherry pushes the hidden switch on the stone wall with a clunk. Then, the stone wall slowly moves, revealing the escape route to the Great Hall.

◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇◆◇

"Sherry-san, lower your posture."

"Y-Yes."

Sherry and Takumi successfully managed to enter the Great Hall without being noticed. As they reached a spot where they could overlook the inside of the hall, they began moving cautiously to avoid detection by the enemies.

"...I see. So it's him."

"Yes, that's the 'Greed Eyes'."

Takumi identified a certain man, and Sherry nodded in agreement. The person they focused on was the only one in the Great Hall wearing armor, and based on the amount of mana Takumi sensed and the artifact magic the person held, they both understood that he was the mastermind behind the incident.

"Vice Principal Ruslan... isn't here. Sherry-san, let's start by deactivating the mana inhibition of the 'Greed Eyes'."

"Y-Yes... I'll do it."

Suppressing her desire to find her father, Sherry obeyed Takumi's words. After tapping the control device that had finished analyzing with her finger to activate it, she wielded it in her hand and made a decisive move.

"...Hyah!"

Sherry threw the control device towards the 'Greed Eyes.' As it emitted a golden light in the air, it successfully halted the mana inhibition caused by the 'Greed Eyes.'

"Alright. Nicely done, Sherry-san."

"Y-Yeah... I was nervous."

"I never thought you would throw it like that."

"Hahaha, I'm glad it worked."

With the plan going smoothly, the expressions of both Sherry and Takumi eased. Then, their ears caught the battle cry of the students who had regained their released mana and launched a counterattack.

Leading the charge was Rose Oliana, the student council president. She kicked an enemy, took their sword, and swiftly cut down several foes.

"Sherry-san, let's retreat."

"B-But..."

"Vice Principal Ruslan isn't here. Let's search elsewhere. Besides..."

As the bloody battle began in the Great Hall, the situation suddenly changed when a man jumped in through the shattered ceiling.

The man, clad in jet-black armor, landed near Rose, his crimson eyes glowing as he raised his sword towards the sky.

"We are... [Shadow Garden]."

Before they knew it, the Great Hall was surrounded by individuals cloaked in black armor, causing evident unease among the enemies.

"Whispering in the shadows... Those who hunt in the shadows."

Those words were announced in perfect unison. Upon hearing them, the opponents became agitated and instinctively felt fear. To those who lived in the surface world, those who lived in the underworld were nothing more than objects of terror.

And then, the one-sided slaughter began.

With overwhelming strength, the members of [Shadow Garden] mercilessly cut down the members of the Cult. Although some of them put up a fight, they perished within a few sword clashes.

"...Amazing."

"Let's leave while we can."

"Y-Yes!"

Feeling reassured by Takumi's unexpectedly calm demeanor, Sherry switched her focus. If her father wasn't here, they would search elsewhere. She didn't have the option to give up.

"...What a reckless guy."

"Huh?"

"Let's escape."

"T-Takumi-kun!?"

Suddenly, Takumi lifted Sherry like she was a burden. His expression showed urgency, revealing his intention to escape this place as soon as possible.

"What's happening...?!"

Just as Sherry was about to ask, an explosion erupted from somewhere, enveloping the Great Hall in raging flames.

In a matter of seconds, the Great Hall was consumed by fire. The students hurriedly attempted to escape while Rose secured a retreat route.

In contrast to the students, [Shadow Garden] remained calm. After exterminating the enemies without leaving anyone behind, they vanished like phantoms through the windows near the ceiling.

"We... we made it..."

Slipping into the hidden passage that had been revealed, Takumi and Sherry escaped from the flames. They were on the brink of danger, causing Sherry to breathe a sigh of relief.

"Thank you, Takumi-kun... Takumi-kun?"

Smiling gratefully, Sherry realized there was no response from Takumi. He was staring fixedly into the depths of the hidden passage, his expression serious.

"...Sherry-san. I found your father."

"R-Really!?"

"There's no mistake."

"Let's go! Show me the way!"

As Sherry pressed closer, Takumi nodded in confirmation.

"Father... I'm coming!"

Observing Sherry, who was filled with determination, Takumi's gaze was clouded with darkness.

5