18 Demon
619 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Have you ever looked at the cover in full size without the wall of text?
  • Only the thumbnail. Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Yes, in the obviously titled first chapter. Votes: 10 38.5%
  • Go change the cover, it got boring! Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Give proper Ace and Jiushi face reveal :3 Votes: 13 50.0%
  • ...meow Votes: 5 19.2%
  • |ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ) Votes: 6 23.1%
  • |シㅇ3ㅇ) Votes: 4 15.4%
  • |ㅇ3ㅇ) Votes: 6 23.1%
  • |💨 Votes: 6 23.1%
Total voters: 26

A lonely figure swayed amidst the rain. The wind whizzed against his ears and scrapped his exposed skin with fine red lines. Harem God’s disheveled hair was full of leaves and tiny branches, but he didn’t care.   

His current priority was to find shelter from the storm. He had experienced many storms and hurricanes over the years, but none could compare to the current phenomenon.   

The pair of golden eyes looked into the distance, their recent spirit had diminished; once again loneliness took its place.   

“F*ck…” I don’t need them. A Harem God is a God. I can’t die. I won’t die. I didn’t the past few years while it was just me and I will certainly not now either.   

Harem God clenched his teeth. Not only was he in a dangerous situation, but his head was spinning and his clothes were damp too from the occasional rain pour. He hadn’t caught a cold even after sweatily fighting a bear in a blizzard, yet just a bit of water in the middle of an autumn night caused him to get a painful fever— that was the biggest joke ever.   

With a blurry vision, he dragged his sore body through the cutting gale. In the next moment, however, a ferocious thunder hit the ground not far from him.   

THUUUUD!!!  

The volatile shock burst the surface and hurled around dirt and debris. Harem God was swept away by the airwave and crashed into several trees. With every impact against the damp tree barks, a dull noise of breaking bones and ripping clothes resounded. When he finally stopped, he coughed up a clot of blood. The rubicund liquid dripped down his mouth and dyed his clothes light red. Half-leaning, half-lying against the tree trunk; Harem God could barely keep his eyes open. His gaze glimpsed at the point of impact.  

Something crept out from the cater and uttered strange sounds, “Immortal’s legacy...”  

The eerie voice was the last thing Harem God heard before blacking out.  

F*ck… I’ll kill you… I’ll kill you all…  

***  

Memory of Athanasia  

That was the name of the magic artifact they came for. Together with Jiushi’s Reminiscence of Life and Ace’s Nostalgia of Mortality, they formed the Immortal’s legacy and were humanity’s greatest weapons against the demon race; with Memory of Athanasia being the most obscure amongst all three.  

Humanity had to search years for clues about its whereabouts until they stumbled upon the ‘Sage’s Compass’ by chance. The artifact was a man-made invention to locate anything, be it a person or magic artifact. As long as the compass was attuned to the distinctive spiritual or elemental essence, of the very human or artifact, it was possible to find it— Even through other worlds. But to get the almighty Sage’s Compass countless sacrifices were made alone to retrieve the blueprint from the demonic territory. After another myriad of complications, the Sage’s Compass was finally crafted. Ace and Jiushi had already awakened their legacy, therefore they should have been able to locate Memories of Athanasia as they shared similar spiritual essences. Yet, it was only a few years after their awakening that the compass had shown a movement and lead them back to earth.   

They could feel it. The power of the last legacy power was definitely sealed in the katana. However, when they finally thought their search had come to an end; it disappeared. They also had lost their only guide since the compass already broke. As a result, they couldn’t trace it no matter how throughout they searched the entire time.   

Therefore, Jiushi and Ace were all the more stunned when they suddenly felt its aura resurfacing the moment they boarded the car.  

“What’s the meaning of this? How can it appear at this location?” Jiushi blurted out in his dismay.   

“I think our little friend has hidden more than just his insecurities,” Ace was just as confused as him.   

“Do you really believe he could hide it from us?”  

“No, not at all.” Ace stepped on the accelerator. The car hurled forth at dizzily speed and Jiushi had to grab the handrail to steady himself. “But I suspect that the artifact chose him as a vessel and activated because he’s in danger.”  

Jiushi’s eyes widened. “We need to get him before the demons can.”  

“I’m at it.”  

The car sped up on the bumpy road and recklessly shot over the potholes. Half of the drive was up in the air, but neither of the two men had time to get car sick. Jiushi used his ability again to locate Harem God. His eyes sprang open, the chilling lilac had no trace of calmness left—“He’s in the epicenter of their attack!”   

“Shit,” Ace cursed.  

The demonic aura became thicker the more they came closer to the eye of the storm. Soon they reached a barrier set up by some lesser demons. It didn’t pose any threat to Jiushi or Ace, but the corrosive properties scrapped the car the moment it touched the invisible shield. Both of them rushed out of the vehicle and were assaulted by the stench of demon blood mixed together with mossy mud. From the decayed flesh poured out smog that seemed to suck out any vitality from living beings; just like the corpse of the Scouter Harem God had killed. It was already a miracle that he didn’t get killed back then, but he even managed to get rid of it and that with bare hands. Ace and Jiushi had to admit— he was strong.   

But only in comparison to normal humans, by standards for Awakened he was mediocre. They had credited his win to a freak combination of fortune factors. One was his fighting experience with wild animals; two, his magic strengthened body; and three, his opponent wasn’t a combat-type demon.  

However, what was taking place before their eyes scattered their prior evaluation completely.   

All they saw was the injured figure of Harem God slaughtering every single demon with a murderous glint in his eyes. He was strong, savage, but above all— too bloodthirsty to be a human. Rather than comparing him to humans, he shared more resemblance with the demon kin.   

The two men only saw the golden eyes leaving a trail of light behind, while the crimson dyed blade cut through the flesh of demons. Memory of Athanasia was in Harem God’s hands and danced with devilish aura the walzer of death. The katana which disappeared that day now shone amidst the blood of hundreds of demons with purple brilliance.  

What surprise attack, what rescue mission? It turned into a one-sided butcher of demons! Comparing his first fight with his current display of swordplay was simply not possible. Harem God’s techniques, power, and movements were a class above his past performance against Jiushi and Ace.   

The onslaught ended quite fast with Jiushi and Ace giving a hand. From the overwhelming number of demons were soon nothing to see anymore. The more they fought the more they matched the timing of their attacks with each other. For a team without prior training, their teamwork was remarkable.   

Ace finished off the last fiend and turned to Harem God, who wasn’t far from him. Originally, he wanted to call him, but judging from his appearance, he didn’t seem to be in an amenable state. The nasty acidic blood of the devilkins he had cut apart dripped down the silver-white blade and formed a puddle on the ground. Both wielder and katana exuded an eerie aura that reeked of danger and caution.   

“Harem…” Ace called him softly. Harem God reacted and his golden glowing eyes followed the source of sound on instinct. Their gazes met and the eerie aura dissipated at once.   

In the next moment, he collapsed.   

The blade fell to the ground next to its wielder, if it wasn’t for Ace’s timely grab, both would have drowned in demon blood. Upon catching up to them, something astonishing unveiled before Jiushi’s eyes— Memory of Athanasia dissipated into ink-black smoke and assimilated with Harem God’s spiritual core.   

Both looked at the unconscious man in surprise. Their suspicions proved to be true.  

*** 

15