Episode 1: A Reason to Die (2/3)
431 3 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

⁛ Origin Year 138, 15th of Hana.

Morning the next day.

I woke up with my hands chained and my shoulders sore.

The pain from the cut had mostly disappeared, but a lingering sensation remained.

I sat silently on the bed.

I don’t want to die.

Such a thought crossed my mind.

Please don’t die.

His plea repeated in my mind. Not once, but many times.

He’ll forget me soon enough. Stop thinking about it.

“Morning EunHa.”

“…”

The light in the room was haphazardly turned on. I raised my head to meet her gaze.

“You have pretty bad bed hair.”

I’m seeing things right?

That small sleeping bag on the floor? She slept in my room?

I’m going crazy. Was she going to do this every day from now on?

I must be going crazy.

“Are you alright?”

She approached me.

I retreated a few inches.

Her hands pressed against the bed duvet as she began to crawl towards me.

The bandage wrapped around her hand, and the red blood stains on the sheets remained from yesterday night.

Why, why, why…

Why are you doing this? What did I do to deserve this kind of treatment?

I’m scared.

Someone.

Someone save me.

Kill me.

Before this monster makes me regret it all—

God.

It’s enough to bestow me such a miserable fate.

So please.

At least give me a peaceful death.

I beg you—

Her small hand glided across my head and found themselves settled with a few light pats.

“Did you have a good sleep?”

What kind of expression was she making? I didn’t dare to raise my head.

How insane was this child… to be able to treat me in this manner without feeling an ounce of sympathy?

She’s a psychopath, a complete psychopath.

My breathing hastened, and I felt my chest tighten.

No. Not now, please. Enough of this.

“There’s nothing to be afraid of. I’m here.”

I’m here.

My body shivered.

I didn’t know if the tears that I felt were because of fear or remorse.

It was nauseating.

“Look at me.”

She forced herself into my view.

Strangle me.

Her golden irises glowed distinctively. All things ceased to matter, the vertigo I felt disappeared, and my body stopped shaking.

Something, just something about her eyes…

It held me.

Just like when I look into Kenji’s eyes, I couldn’t tear away when I stared into her’s either.

However, different from his which created a tingly discomfort in my chest.

I felt a sense of calm.

“Everything is going to be alright.”

She said.

Certainly.

Everything is going to be alright.

¸☆▫.-.- ▫☆\*: .。 _ ▫.。.:*

After taking a long bath. I wore a white dress and returned to the main room. The smell of blood had been eliminated, replaced by the fresh scent of flowers. And, my executioner was already seated with breakfast prepared, waiting.

“Breakfast is ready.”

She said with a smile.

For whatever reason, the corners of my lips rose slightly.

I raised the metal lid and found some bread, chowder and a side of grilled unagi.

I saw her tear open a paper bag and take out a piece of preserved nutrient bar.

“You’re going to eat here…?”

The fact that I asked surprised even me.

“Yup.”

She was eating military rations while I ate this? Is she doing this so I would feel guilty about eating in front of her?

“I found out that some brands of this are really tasty. Do you want to have a try?”

“No thank you…”

I took my seat, broke the bread into pieces and soaked it inside the chowder.

I didn’t like chowder.

But somehow, this one tasted especially good.

“I heard from papa yesterday that you wanted to see how things run around here.”

“…That’s part of the reason why I chose this place to die.”

“That’s great! Then let me be your tour guide! It would be a waste if you spent all the time inside this room.”

“…”

“But under one condition.”

I never said anything.

“Call me Rize-chan.”

“…”

I was beginning to sympathize with First Sergeant Hai’s struggle.

Calling her a ‘motherfucker’ after experiencing her attitude first hand was quite reasonable.

“Rize-chan.”

“Kyaa! Good girl!”

How exactly did he teach his daughter? She’s not sane.

I held back the urge to punch her.

¸☆▫.-.- ▫☆\*: .。 _ ▫.。.:*

The history of war waged between humans and demonica began a long time ago.

Humans easily prevailed in the beginning few raids. Their small threat served as a sort of glue that united humanity during those turbulent times of reconstitution.

However, as time progressed, the scale and frequency of these attacks increased.

And that led to the first tipping point.

About half a century ago, we lost the Zeroth Stratum to the demons. Much of Earth’s technology remained in that stratum. So having lost control over that entire region was a great loss.

Fortress 13.

It was a giant pseudo-castle structure built for the sake of engaging Cloud Hives that come from the Zeroth Stratum.

They were built learning from historical mistakes.

In an effort to fight against the ever intensifying demonica forces, the First Stratum had become a war zone. The assembly of these giant structures were collectively known as humanity’s Last Bastion.

More than ten of these giant strongholds roamed the skies in the First Stratum. Not to mention the many reinforced sky islands fortified to strike down any demonica that breached into this layer.

While these colossal strongholds do exist in few numbers within the Second Stratum, most of them operated within the airspace of the First Stratum.

The world we live in today was unlike ancient Earth. There was no real land, only floating islands that seemed to defy old-world physics.

Rize-chan held my chains as we made our way down the stairs.

I had gotten used to being the world’s enemy, so the stares of those that saw us didn’t bother me.

“Ah, Rize-chan, good morning.”

“Good morning sir!”

“Morning.”

“Sup.”

But I wasn’t used to how friendly they were to Rize-chan. Those that greeted her greeted me likewise. I could only give an awkward response.

“This is the parade ground, I think you’ve seen it already.”

“…”

“During special occasions, we’d hold marching events or large parties here. There was also this one time when we had a weird wedding festival for soldiers that couldn’t find a partner. But with the frequency of the attacks lately, it’s rare to see this place being used.”

A somnolent hall held up by giant pillars and overhanging arches. Rize-chan also explained that besides a place for gathering, it was sometimes used as an intermediate site for large material storage before moving it to the main warehouse.

After a lengthy explanation of other trivial information, Rize-chan brought me to the underground dome.

It was the centrepiece of the fortress, a hollowed-out cavern which housed the heart—a meteorite-sized prana core which could be seen encased within military glass. Engineers were busily working to reinforce the broken frames.

“This is the busiest place by far. The demon swarm comes in doves, attracted to this thing.”

Many openings on the underside of the fortress were created to lure the demonica into this room.

Even now, when there wasn’t an engagement with a Cloud Hive, stray demonica could be seen trying to approach the crystal.

Gunfire resounded. Their lives ended at the confrontation of skilled soldiers. Collectors then picked up the corpses to be recycled into materials for battle.

It was a self-sustaining system for a battle of attrition.

“Ms. Lili! Morning!”

“Morning Rize-chan. And a good morning to you too, Ms. Hwang.”

Her smile was dazzling. Awfully so.

“Morning.”

I said.

“Did you sleep well yesterday? I hope Rize-chan didn’t do anything extreme.”

“I didn’t do anything extreme. Right, EunHa?”

Staff Sergeant Chu was sceptical.

Meanwhile, Rize-chan was coercing me to agree with her with an innocent gaze.

I decided not to say anything.

“Hm? What happened to you?”

“Eh?!”

Staff Sergeant Chu suddenly grabbed Rize-chan’s wrist. She examined the bandage on her hand.

I had already taken off mine because the wound had closed. It was also hidden under the coat I wore over my dress.

“Was there an attack last night?”

“Oh no, no. There was nothing of that sort. I just scratched myself, that’s all.”

“Is the wound deep?”

“It’s pretty light on the surface.”

“Then why didn’t you just heal yourself?”

Heal yourself?

“Because it’s a small cut.”

“Don’t you normally heal small cuts?”

What did she mean by that?

“Come on Ms. Lili. It’s not a big deal. Besides, don’t we have an important guest here? Let’s just end it at that, please?”

“You better go to the infirmary if the wound doesn’t heal properly.”

“I got it—”

“Sorry. This girl sometimes does things unnecessarily. I hope she hasn’t caused you any trouble…”

“Can I…”

“Hm?”

“Can I change to someone else?”

“What?”

Swap Rize-chan for someone else, please…

.- ▫☆\*: .。 _ ▫.。.:*☆▫.-

My mother died when I was born, so I don’t know what it’s like having a mother.

But even without a maternal figure in my past, I couldn’t help thinking that Staff Sergeant Chu had the air of such a noble figure. Watching her nag Rize-chan who kept trying to talk her way out of her mischief resembled that of a bickering mother and daughter.

Is this what it’s like to have a mother?

It was completely different from the figure of a father.

I sometimes wish I had a mother. Maybe then I wouldn’t have turned out this way.

“I’m truly sorry for everything. If you wish, I will take her place on her behalf.”

“NOOOOO!!! EunHa! Say no!”

“Rize-chan, behave yourself.”

Anyone else would be better than being with Rize-chan.

But was it really alright?

Staff Sergeant Chu and Rize-chan were fundamentally different.

One was kind and caring, the other was teetering on the edge of bludgeoned insanity.

If I took on Staff Sergeant Chu’s suggestion and got too close to that warmth, what should I do?

If I had such a concern, wouldn’t it be better to stick with Rize-chan instead? Being by her side, at least I’d want to die quicker.

“You can’t kill her, so you’re not fit for the job.”

Rize-chan pouted.

“I didn’t say I would be the one to kill her. I’ll only take her into custody for a short while.”

“No, no, no! EunHa is mine!”

“Rize-chan, she’s not your pet…”

I’m sure they didn’t just call me a pet, yeah… I didn’t hear anything.

“It’s your decision Ms. Hwang. Do you want me to take care of you in her stead?”

I lowered my head.

“Yes, please.”

“UWaaaaa!! You’re so unfair!! Unfair!! I’ll make sure you regret it!!”

Rize-chan cried and ran away.

You’d think that she’d be more mature because she talks like an adult. Well…the next thing you know it, she’s throwing a tantrum like a spoiled kid.

Seriously.

Staff Sergeant Chu shook her head.

“She’s like that, don’t mind her. I’ll make sure she doesn’t try to bother you again tonight.”

Saying so, she unlocked the cuffs that bound my wrist.

“It’s quite scary for those that don’t know her, so I can understand your sentiments.”

“She said that she’s… twelve. Isn’t she underaged? How did she become a member of the squad? Or is she just a mascot?”

“That… It’s a complicated story. Yes, she’s underage. It isn’t wrong to say that she shouldn’t even be here, to begin with.”

“Then…? Just because she’s First Sergeant’s daughter?”

“First Sergeant’s daughter…?”

Staff Sergeant Chu looked at me with a shocked expression.

“You’re mistaken. Actually, Rize-chan isn’t anyone’s daughter. We only treat her like that because she’s an orphan, you know?”

Orphan? So she’s not First Sergeant Hai’s daughter?

Wait. Tatsuki Rize—Hai Aki, their last names were different. I should’ve noticed that.

“She called him papa… adoption then?”

“First Sergeant Hai did consider sending in an official letter for that, but things went awry mid-way and… let’s just say it didn’t work out. However, even without a legal consent of adoption, she’s been clinging to him ever since the day they met.”

She said, holding her head as if she were having a headache.

I can’t understand a thing.

If it’s not preferential treatment then you’re saying that…

“The only reason why she holds such a high position in our company is because she’s simply indispensable.”

Indispensable…

Someone like her, indispensable?

No way.

“Otherwise, she can’t even be called a cadet. She has no official rank.”

A soldier enlisted as First Sergeant Hai’s right hand without any rank.

“Have you heard about the Black Siren?”

“I think I’ve heard of it…”

The story of the Black Siren was more of a rumour than a myth.

Sirens are a sentient-class demonica. They are found rarely in the First Stratum, but if you encounter one, earplugs are a must. Their serenade can send their entranced victims to their deaths.

The story goes that there exists a demonica disguised as a female soldier. She, the Black Siren once enamoured a soldier, brought him before her presence, and relished in the sight of him tearing himself apart.

It was quite extreme. Normally, sirens can only put their prey into a trance, not issue commands.

That’s why the Black Siren is referred to as ‘Black’.

The whole concept of the story was ridiculous, so I simply took it as some horror tale told by soldiers when they were bored.

Though it seemed…

“She’s that Black Siren.”

My mark was off.

Way, way off.

-☆▫.-▫.。.:* ▫⌎.☆\*: .。 ▫.-

⁛ Origin Year 138, 1st of Hana.

(A month ago_)

There was a person who gave me everything.

But all I could do was throw it away.

For my existence itself was a sin, and my fate was to die.

I decided that this would be the best for us.

For humanity.

For him.

Instead of a world where his life ended at my hands, I’d much prefer a world where he lived happily in my absence.

I wanted him to survive just a little longer if possible.

My shoulders were exposed, the sexy curves of my clavicle directed one’s eyes towards my cleavage.

The wedding dress sparkled with detailed patterns that adorned the translucent surface. Various clear jewels added to the complexity of the simple design while the gentle train flowing from the lance to the ground made my already beautiful appearance all the more ethereal.

Pearl blonde hair glimmered, braided in a wreath of white lilies. My glossy pink lips didn’t match my teal-blue eyes which reflected dread and anxiety.

The pretty girl standing before the full-sized mirror was me.

A bride-to-be.

My personal aide Ju MinGyeo, who wore a bridesmaid dress adjusted the train of my gown. She raised her head to look at me in the mirror.

“EunHa-nim, do you not wish for this?”

She asked.

Do I wish for this?

A wedding signifies a new beginning, a vow of love, the mark of a new journey in one’s life. It’s supposed to be a day that brings boundless joy and passion, one of the merriest moments a couple could ever experience.

“Should I call it off?”

She asked again.

She knew I couldn’t possibly run from this.

Yet deep down she wished for my true happiness.

I observed the dull gleam in my eyes.

The resolve I’ve mustered for today, that decision will change the fate of the world forever.

I can’t falter.

I must do it.

“Ju MinGyeo-ssi.”

Her hands stopped.

“Please give me some space alone.”

“…Understood.”

Having watched over me from childhood to adulthood, she had been by my side ever since I remembered.

My tendencies, my fears, my feelings, my desires, my dreams—she knew everything about me. There was no need for me to explain why I told her to leave.

She was already aware of my unstable state.

She knew the wedding wasn’t the problem, it was simply the timing and intent behind the whole circumstance.

“And…”

I spoke, she held the door and paused for me to complete my sentence.

“…Thank you for everything.”

I had to say it.

Because this would be the last time I get the chance to do so.

MinGyeo-unnie.

The elder sister I never had.

I love you.

She turned around and wrapped her arm tight around me.

“EunHa. I wish you utmost happiness, sincerely.”

◜\⌝▫◆▫.

“The bride enters!”

The double door swings open.

A white veil concealed my face, a bouquet of white lilies held between my hands.

My wedding was held at the sacred chapel. The morning light poured in from high windows, drawing patterns on the ground. The red carpet led me towards the altar where my beloved stood.

MinGyeo-unnie followed behind me, making sure my dress didn’t get stuck on anything.

Slightly.

Slightly I lifted my head to meet his hazel coloured eyes.

Together we’ve shared many moments of pain and joy.

When I needed him the most, he was there.

When I cried, he was there to console me.

When it was cold, he was there to embrace me.

When it hurt, he was there to take the pain away.

He was my saviour and guardian.

Someone who wouldn’t hesitate to lay his life down for me.

Tying the knot and becoming one with him was one of my greatest wishes.

I didn’t fall in love with him for no reason.

But doing so meant something else.

It hurt me as much as it did him. I caught a glimpse of his sad smile.

He knew I was suffering.

My father and my brother could be seen in the audience.

Faces of friends and comrades.

Sergeants and commanders.

Lastly, the mastermind of today’s ceremony.

My closest friend, comrade, and rival.

The one who would prevent the world’s greatest disaster.

The hero who would save all of humanity.

And… the one who shared the same love as I did.

The War Saint, Wu XiaoLe.

She applauded with the rest of the crowd.

All of them have gathered here today on this auspicious day.

My heart ached.

All the troubles I’ve brought upon her, yet never once she had she blamed me. She did what she believed to be right. Bearing the weight of the world, as the only one who had the power to change the fate of an uncertain future.

For everything she had done, the sacrifices she had made—undeniably, she was the one more deserving of his love.

To prevent humanity’s downfall.

Today’s wedding marked a pivotal turning point.

For the sake of a better future, she sealed her feelings for him.

So that I could be happy.

So that we could be happy.

…It was an insult to all her efforts.

Because I wasn’t happy.

Church bells rang, and the vibrations reverberated through my body.

I finally reached the altar where he and the priest stood.

I turned to face him.

He parted the veil that covered my face.

Agony ripped through my chest.

I held back the urge to cry.

I was going to do something horrible.

“You’re beautiful, EunHa.”

I’m sorry.

I’m really sorry for hurting you.

Again and again. I’ve been nothing but a thorn in your side.

Humanity’s disaster.

It was time to let go.

“On this sacred day, we are gathered here today in the sight of God. Together in witness to join together, the groom, Matsushita Kenji and bride, Hwang EunHa, in holy matrimony.”

The priest spoke solemnly.

“In God’s presence, proclaim. To the groom, do you, Matsushita Kenji, profess from this day onward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish Hwang EunHa, until death do you part?”

“I do.”

I love you Kenji.

“To the bride, do you, Hwang EunHa, profess from this day onward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish Matsushite Kenji, until death do you part.”

“I…”

I really, really do.

“In the sight of God and these witnesses, I now pronounce you husband and wife! You may now kiss!”

Hundreds of times we’ve performed this action. Now as natural as breathing, his lips met mine.

I love you Kenji.

But…

So please forget me.

Forget me Kenji.

I dropped the flower in my hands.

Revealing the knife underneath, I impaled his stomach with the hidden blade.

His body stiffened, he quickly grabbed my wrist.

I didn’t know what kind of expression I was making.

“EunHa why…”

I pulled out the knife.

“Ugh…”

He winced.

Even though I had aimed for his non-vital points, the blade had been coated with poison.

So.

He collapsed to the ground, blood soaking through his suit.

I turned to the shocked audience.

“Someone save him.”

God.

Save him.

Blood dripped from my trembling hands.

 

-☆▫.-▫.。.:* ▫⌎.☆\*: .。 ▫.-

 

He opened his eyes.

The air that passed through his lungs was cold, his body felt heavy.

As his vision regained its former clarity, he looked around.

A white room with white machines and monitors.

“Mn? He’s awake?”

“He’s awake? Sir, how are you…”

He heard voices, but couldn’t quite discern the source.

He closed his eyes and tried to recall.

The cathedral.

Family.

Her white dress, his matching tuxedo.

Their wedding.

EunHa.

…!

◜\⌝▫◆▫.

A day after he woke up, he was transferred to a private ward.

Sitting on the hospital bed, he gazed out towards the cerulean skies.

Over the past hour, many of his friends had come and gone to pay him a visit. Gifts and souvenirs that wished for his recovery hoarded the desk.

Bitterly, he couldn’t help but think that these gifts implied something else.

He heard the sound of the door slide open. He turned to the door.

Her crimson-pink hair tied into a side ponytail, a plain collared dress…

“Kenji, I’m glad you’re awake. How are you feeling?”

She placed the basket of fruits on the chair, seeing as the table was already full.

She sat on a chair facing the bed. He sat facing the wall. Their gazes didn’t meet.

“Where’s EunHa?”

“…”

“What are you guys hiding from me?”

He asked. She clenched the hem of her clothes.

“Why did she stab me? What happened to the wedding?”

He wanted to know.

She shook her head.

“She’s dead.”

“…Don’t lie.”

“…I’m not…”

EunHa may be alive at the Fortress now. But in a week’s time, she’d probably be dead.

Or maybe she was already dead.

“I didn’t want this to happen either.”

Tears condensed in her eyes.

“She refused to listen to me.”

EunHa was stubborn.

“She refused to listen to everyone.”

Too stubborn.

The very person they swore to protect… yet her fate turned out like this.

“She’s still here.”

He said, refusing to accept. She trembled.

The vivid memory of the knife entering his stomach was still fresh in his mind.

He had been in a coma for almost a week thanks to that.

The wedding had been annulled, EunHa was sent for execution.

Was it right to save EunHa who… had made it clear that she didn’t want him to interfere?

He had no idea where she was, nor her current situation. Was it alright to try and rescue EunHa by this point?

This wasn’t the first time she refused his help. But would this be the first time he agreed to her irony?

“Kenji, she did this for us.”

She lightly touched his hand over the blanket.

“She wants us to let her go.”

Was he fed up with EunHa’s whiny attitude?

Yes.

Angry that she was in a constant state of unease; that somehow no matter what he did, she would fall into a spiral of self-loathing?

Yes.

Frustrated that no matter what he did, he couldn’t find a solution to her curse?

“I promised her.”

He recalled the expression she made when the knife entered.

Guilt? Remorse? Pain?

No.

It was regret.

She regretted having met him.

“…That I would save her no matter what.”

She chose the world over him.

But he chose her over the world.

“XiaoLe.”

He looked at the War Saint with a faint smile.

“It’s not too late to save her, right?”

A tear slipped from her eyes.

“Yes.”

19