Chapter 27 – Dreams(2)
88 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Dimension 51, Main Timeline>

For the past four years, I've existed as a perpetual 16-year-old, trapped in the life of a Draugr. Initially, I mistook myself for a vampire due to the whole immortality and blood-drinking aspect. However, I soon discovered that Draugrs and vampires were two sides of the same coin when I joined an organization known as "The Orphans." This group comprised supernatural beings like me who had been abandoned by their parents.

The memory of my transformation into a Draugr remains vivid. It happened on my 16th birthday while my mother and I were simply at home, watching TV. My father was away, fortunate enough to be out working. Suddenly, the house became engulfed in flames, and I was the sole "survivor." In a desperate attempt to return to my father, I was met with rejection and harsh words. He labeled me a demon, refusing me entry into our home.

Left with no choice, I endured a year of homelessness, navigating the unforgiving streets. It was during this challenging period that I crossed paths with Vincent, the vampire leader of The Orphans. He became my guide, helping me make sense of the bewildering world I had been thrust into. He became my mentor, teaching me about the realm of gods, the intricacies of magic, and the diverse array of supernatural creatures that inhabited our world. For four years, his guidance forged a deep bond between us, and we became as close as true friends could be.

Perched atop a roof, a vantage point I frequently assumed, I observed the bustling streets below. My heightened senses allowed me to catch snippets of a distressing scene unfolding: a girl, approximately fourteen years old, being pursued by two older boys, perhaps around seventeen. Their voices carried traces of malice, and the girl's fear was evident with every breath.

Without hesitation, I leaped down from the rooftop, positioning myself before the boys. A low growl rumbled in my throat as I confronted them. "Cease," I commanded.

"What the hell are you?" one of the boys stammered.

"I am your worst nightmare," I replied with a smug smirk, "and I suggest you flee before my companions arrive."

Panicked, the boys quickly retreated, their voices echoing threats of return. Turning my attention to the girl, I greeted her with a warm smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Quinn Noir, a Draugr." Extending my hand, I offered a handshake.

The girl straightened her posture, attempting to exude confidence. "I am Liv Thordottor!"

Placing a reassuring hand on her back, I began leading her toward our base. "It's been quite some time since a Demi visited The Orphans. You're most welcome here," I assured her.

The Orphans had become my sanctuary, a place I called home, and I yearned for it to offer the same refuge to Liv. Unfortunately, that hope was destined to remain unfulfilled, as The Orphans would be disbanded later that very same week.

***

<Dimension 371, Main Timeline>

Startled by yet another vivid dream concerning Y's enigmatic past, I jolted awake, my body drenched in a cold sweat. However, before I could fully process the implications of the dream, the urgent reason for my awakening unfolded before me. A series of forceful poundings reverberated through the walls, drawing my curiosity toward our front door.

"Colette Adilene Winnr! Open this door right now!" a commanding voice bellowed from behind the door.

Driven by both intrigue and a sense of responsibility, I made my way to the source of the commotion. Colette, displaying remarkable swiftness, hastened to unlock and swing open the door. Standing before us were two individuals, whom I presumed to be Colette's parents, accompanied by her sister Elise. Colette's mother bore a striking resemblance to both Colette and Elise, with long blonde hair and penetrating gray eyes that seemed capable of peering into one's very soul. However, a palpable contrast emanated from her, as her aura exuded an air of cold detachment and indifference. 

Colette's father, in stark contrast, sported an infectious smile that stretched across his face. His disheveled black hair appeared greasy as if it hadn't been washed for days. Behind his large, blocky glasses, his green eyes twinkled with intellectual curiosity. Clutching a sizable notebook, he seemed engrossed in jotting down notes.

Colette, displaying her usual grace, curtseyed before her mother and inquired, "I apologize for the wait, mother. To what do I owe the pleasure?"

Her mother, brimming with condescension, scoffed and replied, "Elise has informed me about the situation with your roommate. A deranged commoner, really? You deserve better. I've already arranged for you to change rooms immediately."

Adding his perspective, Colette's father chimed in, "Although I must admit, I would love to meet this roommate of yours. She sounds quite fascinating."

Sensing the opportune moment, I stepped forward and addressed them, "Anastasia and Konan Winnr, I presume?" Anastasia appeared taken aback by the mention of her name, but I redirected my attention to Konan. "Your thesis on the application of Conjuration in Magitech was truly enlightening."

"You really think so?" he beamed, his smile growing wider. "I wish more young people appreciated scholarly pursuits. But if you're looking for something truly illuminating, you should take a gander at my research on the Light spell." He chuckled at his clever jest, embracing the joy of intellectual banter.

Colette's mother, Anastasia, shot a withering glare at her husband before redirecting her disdainful gaze towards me. Her voice dripped with contempt as she asked, "And who might you be?"

Apologizing for the oversight, I maintained a composed demeanor and replied politely, "I apologize for not introducing myself earlier. I am Quinn Noir, a fellow student at the academy and Colette's friend and roommate."

Colette intervened, speaking slowly and choosing her words carefully, "Mother, I assure you Quinn is not deranged. Yes, she has her struggles, but don't we all?"

With a sarcastic tone, Anastasia retorted, "Sure, we all have our issues. But my issues don't involve transforming into a psychopath and nearly killing someone. Nor do they involve spouting deranged explanations about time like a lunatic."

Interjecting with enthusiasm, Konan raised his pen, eager to discuss his research, "Actually, I'm currently working on a research paper on Chronomancy. It's a fascinating topic that hasn't been explored yet, but I believe there's a genuine—"

Anastasia's piercing glare silenced him abruptly. "Not now, Konan. Colette, there's no point in arguing. You will be changing rooms immediately," she declared adamantly, dismissing any further discussion.

Colette let out a resigned sigh and lowered her gaze to the ground. "Yes, mother," she conceded defeatedly.

"Good. Now pack your belongings, and we can leave," Anastasia concluded, ending the conversation abruptly.

As Colette prepared to depart, she suddenly turned back and enveloped me in a heartfelt hug. "I'll miss you," she whispered softly.

Nodding in agreement, I managed a bittersweet smile. "I'll miss you too,"

3