Chapter 31 – Magnum Opus
31 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I entered the Alchemy lab, where Melanie was engrossed in her potion-making. She was grinding the flower petals, following my earlier suggestion, and seemed to be making decent progress. Pointing to the unused half of the lab, I asked, "Do you mind if I borrow this side for a moment?"

She let out a mocking laugh. "As if I would ever let a filthy mongrel like you use my lab!"

I chose to ignore her and simply replied, "Thanks," before walking over to the vacant area and gathering the ingredients I needed.

"Hey!" she complained. "I didn't say you could do that!"

Continuing to disregard her protests, I focused on the task at hand. Months of anticipation had led to this moment, and I was determined not to fail. Working with precision and efficiency, I immersed myself in the brewing process, which seemed to momentarily silence Melanie's interruptions.

The process involved careful mixing, heating, and extracting essences from the various ingredients. It was a delicate dance of proportions and timings, each step crucial to achieving the desired outcome. The bubbling and steaming concoction gradually transformed, releasing intoxicating scents that filled the air, a tantalizing aroma that defied description.

Finally, as the potion reached its peak, a notification flashed on my screen:

<You have created a new potion recipe>

<Name your potion: >

I had done it. I grabbed a small flask and carefully filled it with the warm, rich liquid. Bringing it close to my nose, I took a deep breath, inhaling the perfect scent that emanated from it, capturing notes of earthiness, warmth, and invigoration. It was exactly what I had been patiently awaiting for all those months.

With a satisfied smile, I typed "Coffee" on my screen.

<New Potion Created: Coffee>

<Potion Tier: Undefined>

Melanie approached me cautiously and gestured towards the still-full cauldron. "What exactly is this?" she asked, her tone skeptical.

"Something I just invented," I smirked, feeling a sense of accomplishment. "I call it Coffee! It's a potion that, in simple terms, increases your energy."

She stared at me with a deadpan expression. "So it's like a Stamina Regen Potion."

"Well, um," I stumbled over my words, trying to find a better explanation. "It's more about boosting your overall energy levels and helping you sustain them for a while," I clarified. "And it tastes much better than your average potion."

Curiosity piqued, Melanie reached for her flask and took a small sip of the liquid. Almost immediately, she spat it out, wearing a look of utter disgust. "This is the worst thing I have ever tasted," she exclaimed.

I chuckled at Melanie's reaction, finding some satisfaction in her distaste for my creation. "Well, it's an acquired taste," I responded, trying to hide my amusement. "Not everyone appreciates the complex flavors of Coffee."

Melanie scowled at me, clearly unimpressed. "Acquired taste or not, this is undrinkable," she retorted. "I have no idea why you would waste your time creating such a concoction."

I shrugged, undeterred by her criticism. "Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. Not everyone can appreciate the brilliance of a new invention." I held up the flask, admiring the dark liquid inside. "But mark my words, Melanie, one day, the world will recognize the value of Coffee."

She rolled her eyes dismissively and turned away. "I highly doubt that. Just remember, not everything that's new is necessarily valuable or worth pursuing."

I took a moment to savor the victory of creating Coffee, even if Melanie failed to appreciate it. I carefully placed the flask in my bag, knowing that I had achieved something significant. Perhaps someday, others would come to understand the allure of my creation.

***

(3rd Person POV)

Sun Wukong and his three brothers were a mere few hours away from reaching the continent of Reodone. Aware of their proximity to their objective, Colt organized a meeting to reassess their mission objectives. He placed his hands on the table where his brothers were seated.

"Remember, this is a diplomatic mission," Colt reminded them. "Our aim is to persuade the Elves to join forces with us in the war against humans. Any strategies?"

Artair eagerly chimed in, his voice brimming with enthusiasm. "I say we enter with swords drawn, forcing them to comply with our demands!"

Colt interjected, urging caution. "Let's set that as Plan Z for now. Any other ideas?"

Macau offered a different perspective. "I propose leading the discussion by highlighting the fact that a human was responsible for killing the Elven King Dragon. We can leverage this to depict humans as a threat that requires our united forces to deal with."

Colt's smile affirmed Macau's suggestion. "That's a brilliant idea, as expected from you, Macau." He turned his attention to Sun. "You've been rather quiet. Do you have any ideas?"

Sun jolted upright from his previously slouched position. "Hmm? I think we should focus on engaging the civilian population first. By stirring them up, we can corner the queen into making a decision."

"Great idea, Sun," Colt smiled approvingly. "We'll begin by meeting with the queen, but if she doesn't agree immediately, we'll implement your plan."

Sun couldn't help but feel a twinge of concern. "I hope Quinn is safe," he pondered silently.

***

At the academy, Colette entered her new dorm room only to find a peculiar man inside. He sported an unconventional green vest-like suit, unlike anything she had ever seen. His tousled brown hair resembled the result of rubbing a balloon against his head. In his carefully gloved hand, he twirled a semi-translucent cube, revealing something mysterious within. The man leaned forward, scrutinizing the bee that fluttered inside the cube.

"Fascinating," he muttered, his voice filled with intrigue. "I have never seen wing patterns like this in any dimension."

Demanding answers, Colette confronted the man. "Who are you? What are you doing in my room? And what is that in your hand?"

The man straightened himself up, adjusting his vest with meticulous precision. "Me? I'm a librarian. Because I'm a librarian," he emphasized each mention of the word, causing waves of magical energy to emanate from his voice. "And this," he said, presenting the cube, "is a creation of a librarian."

Colette's eyes, once filled with fear and anger, momentarily glazed over before returning to normal. "Oh, alright," she shrugged, seemingly unfazed. "What do you need?"

A mischievous smirk spread across the man's face. "My boss has sent me on a retrieval mission. Have you ever had the pleasure of meeting a certain Harley Holmes?"

2