Chapter 13: Introduction to Tournaments
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The basketball court, usually buzzing with the rhythmic bouncing of balls and the squeak of rubber oes against the polished wooden floor, was filled with a different kind of energy that day. It wasn't game day, nor was it practice. The members of the Yumei High basketball team sat in a loose circle, their usual uniforms replaced by casual clothes. Haruki and Hiroshi were notably absent. The focal point of the gathering was a whiteboard with the words 'Interhigh Championship' written boldly on top.

 

Kazuki Nakajima, the team's point guard, scratched his head. "I've heard of the Interhigh, of course," he said, "But I don't really know the details."

 

Jun Takeda, the team's centre and tallest member, nodded in agreement. "Same here," he admitted, his normally quiet demeanour making his admission barely audible.

 

Tetsuya Nakazawa, the small forward known for his laid-back nature, shrugged. "All I know is it's a big deal."

 

Ryota Suzuki, the energetic shooting guard, chimed in. "It's more than a big deal; it's THE deal! It's where we can prove ourselves, show the whole country what Yumei High's got!"

 

Daichi Tanaka, the team's power forward and a man of few words, simply nodded.

 

At that moment, Ayumi, who had been silent until then, stood up. "Let me explain how the Interhigh works," she said, moving towards the whiteboard.

 

As she detailed the structure and progression of the tournament, her teammates listened attentively. Their faces showed a mix of anticipation, anxiety, and resolve. The Interhigh wasn't just a tournament; it was a platform to prove their worth, to elevate their game, to make their mark. This was their goal, their dream. And they were ready to chase it.

 

Ayumi grabbed a marker and turned towards the whiteboard. With every word she spoke, she made a mark on the board. The complexity of the Interhigh Championship began to unfold in front of the team.

 

"First, we have the regional preliminaries," Ayumi started. Her marker squeaked as she drew a large rectangle, divided it into smaller sections, and labelled each one with the letters A through D. "Each regional tournament is separated into these four blocks. We have to advance through five rounds, a semi-final, and the final to become the winner of our block."

 

Kazuki, who was always eager to learn, raised his hand. "So we're in block C because we're from Shikoku, in the Kagawa region, right?"

 

Ayumi nodded. "Correct, Kazuki. And if we win our block, we move on to the final league of the preliminaries. That's when the winners of each block within our regional tournament compete against each other."

 

Jun looked puzzled. "But isn't winning our block enough? Why do we have to compete against the other block winners?"

 

Ayumi turned back to the whiteboard, marking another section of her diagram. "That's because only the top three teams from each region in this final league can advance to the Interhigh Championship."

 

The room fell silent as everyone tried to absorb the information. This was no easy feat, they realized. But it was a challenge they were more than willing to accept. As the reality of their task set in, so did their resolve. They were the Yumei High basketball team, and they were ready for the Interhigh Championship.

 

Continuing her explanation, Ayumi moved on to Yumei High's particular placement in the tournament structure. "Since we're located in Shikoku region, within the Kagawa prefecture, we'll be competing in Block C of the regional preliminaries," she clarified.

 

Tetsuya scratched his head, clearly trying to keep up with the information. "So, we only have to worry about the teams within our block for now, right?" he asked. Ayumi nodded in affirmation.

 

Daichi, who had been quiet, suddenly spoke up. "What about Seijou High? That's where Kyo is" His question brought a shared look of concern among the team members. They had experienced firsthand the skill level of Kyo's team.

 

"Good point, Daichi," Ayumi replied, marking another point on her diagram. "Seijou High is in the Kagawa Prefecture, which means they're not in our block. We won't need to face them unless we both make it to the Final League of Preliminaries."

 

Ryota pumped his fist into the air. "That's one less thing to worry about! We just need to focus on winning our block first!"

 

The room lightened at Ryota's infectious enthusiasm. There was a renewed sense of determination as they grasped their situation. They understood the hurdles ahead and knew the challenge wouldn't be easy, but they were ready to face it together.

Resuming her explanation, Ayumi added a piece of information that startled everyone, "Oh, and there's another thing I should mention. Haruki and Hiroshi are not new to this competition. They both have previously played in teams that were top-ranking in the Interhigh Championship. Haruki's team finished second, and Hiroshi's team was third."

 

The room fell into a stunned silence. "Haruki and Hiroshi were... what?!" Ryota stammered, eyes wide in surprise.

 

"I didn't realize they were that good," Tetsuya admitted quietly, a newfound respect evident in his voice.

 

"Well, that explains a lot," Daichi murmured, the gears clearly turning in his head.

 

Jun didn't say anything, but his eyes were wide with shock. His gaze turned distant as he tried to process the new information.

 

Kazuki, the last one to react, chuckled and scratched the back of his head, "Guess we've got more reasons to improve now, huh?"

 

The news about Haruki and Hiroshi's past achievements served to galvanize the team, bringing a new level of anticipation and excitement for the upcoming tournament. They knew the path to victory wouldn't be easy, but the revelation about their teammates' past success stoked a powerful desire within them to reach new heights. They ended their meeting on this note, filled with a renewed sense of determination and expectation for the challenges that lay ahead.

(Short chapter, since it's an info dump chapter)

0