Chapter 19: The Counter Attack?
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the third quarter begins, Izanami Academy starts with the ball. With Arata, the point guard initiating the play, there is an air of determination among the Izanami players. They execute a series of crisp passes, and Fujimoto cuts through the defence with his agility. Ryoichi scores the first basket of the quarter with a silky-smooth jump shot.

Yumei High's players are on their toes as Izanami Academy continues to press. A steal by Ren leads to a fast break, and Ryoichi throws down a two-handed dunk. The crowd from Izanami erupts.

Coach Saito shouts directions from the sidelines, urging Yumei High to tighten their defence. Haruki, with a determined expression, takes the challenge head-on. He intercepts a pass meant for Ryoichi and sprints down the court, finishing with a layup.

Izanami Academy continues to battle. They display incredible teamwork, with their centre setting hard screens and Ryoichi knocking down a three-pointer.

Hiroshi begins to make his presence felt in the paint. He blocks Koki's shot and starts a fast break. As Haruki receives the ball, he sees Daichi running down the centre of the court. They execute a perfectly timed give-and-go, resulting in a gentle layup.

The crowd is buzzing with excitement as both teams trade baskets. The tension is high, and you can see players on both sides encouraging each other and communicating defensively.

Ryoichi, not backing down, uses his dribbling skills to create space and sinks another jump shot. He then turns to his teammates, pumping them up.

In response, Haruki and Hiroshi work a pick-and-roll play, with Haruki delivering a behind-the-back pass to Hiroshi, who finishes with a soft hook shot.

As the quarter nears its end, Haruki makes one final defensive play. He reads the eyes of Izanami's point guard and leaps into the passing lane for a steal. He races down the court and, at the last moment, dishes the ball to Tetsuya, who unluckily misses the shot.

Yumei High's lead is maintained, but the players know they were tested in this quarter. As they head to the bench, Coach Saito commends them on staying resilient against Izanami Academy's counterattack.

As the fourth quarter begins, the crowd is buzzing with anticipation. The energy in the gymnasium is electric. Yumei High is in possession of the ball.

"Let's finish strong!" Tetsuya shouts to his teammates.

Haruki brings the ball up the court, scanning the floor. He makes a quick crossover and drives to the basket, laying the ball in effortlessly.

Izanami Academy's players try to respond. Ryoichi Fujimoto takes a deep three-pointer and scores. But Yumei High is relentless.

"Hiroshi, down low!" Haruki calls out as he dribbles up the court.

Hiroshi positions himself in the paint, receives the pass from Haruki, and with a deft pivot, he lays the ball in over two defenders.

"Nice one!" Daichi calls out as they head back on defence.

Izanami Academy tries to penetrate Yumei High's defence. Still, Haruki steals the ball and makes an outlet pass to Hiroshi, who slams it down with a thunderous dunk.

The crowd erupts. "Yumei! Yumei!" the cheers reverberate throughout the gym.

Izanami is not backing down, though. Ryoichi makes another pull-up jumper. He's trying to will his team back into the game.

Haruki acknowledges his efforts. "You're really good, Fujimoto," Haruki says during a brief pause.

"Thanks, but don't think I'll let you win easily," Ryoichi responds with determination.

With just under five minutes left, Yumei High is maintaining their lead. They work the ball around efficiently, showing teamwork and excellent communication.

Coach Saito calls a timeout to give his players a breather. The team gathers around, drinking water and listening to Coach Saito's instructions.

"We keep the pressure, but let's not get careless. Communicate and support each other," Coach Saito emphasizes.

Play resumes, and Ryota steals the ball from an Izanami player, passes it ahead to Haruki, who throws an alley-oop to Hiroshi, who finishes with a two-handed slam.

The atmosphere is electric as Yumei High continues to play with intensity and tenacity. Hiroshi blocks a shot, and Tetsuya hustles for the loose ball. The Yumei High players are all contributing in various ways.

In the final moments of the game, Haruki and Hiroshi exchange a quick glance and a nod.

Haruki dribbles the ball to the top of the key. Hiroshi sets a screen, and Haruki uses it, drawing two defenders. He then passes the ball to Hiroshi, who faces up against Ryoichi. With a series of post moves, Hiroshi gets close to the basket and makes a hook shot.

As the final buzzer sounds, Yumei High players and fans celebrate their victory. The players shake hands with the Izanami Academy team.

"Good game, Fujimoto," Haruki says, extending his hand to Ryoichi.

"Same to you; you guys were amazing," Ryoichi responds with a smile as they shake hands.

One by one, the players from both teams exchange handshakes and words of appreciation for the hard-fought game.

Hiroshi approaches Ryoichi and pats him on the back. "You gave us a run for our money. Keep that fire," Hiroshi tells him.

"Will do! See you guys next time!" Ryoichi replies with a grin.

As Yumei High makes their way off the court, Coach Saito is waiting for them with a proud smile.

"Well done, everyone! That's the spirit and teamwork I like to see," Coach Saito says as the players surround him.

Ayumi is there with a tray of water bottles, and her face is lit up with joy. "You guys were awesome!" she exclaims, handing out the water.

"Thanks, Ayumi!" the players respond in unison.

As they make their way to the locker room, Daichi speaks up. "Man, that was intense. Fujimoto really brought it in the second half."

"Yeah," Tetsuya adds, "but little did they know, we have two aces compared to their one."

Inside the locker room, the players begin to change out of their uniforms. Coach Saito gathers them around.

"I want you all to know how proud I am of how you played today. But remember, this is just one game. We need to stay focused and keep working hard," Coach Saito tells them earnestly.

The team nods in agreement.

Suddenly, there is a knock on the locker room door. It's Ryoichi Fujimoto, holding a basketball.

"Hey, I just wanted to give this to you guys as a token of a great game," Ryoichi says, handing his jersey to Haruki.

Haruki is surprised and smiles. "Thanks, Fujimoto. That means a lot."

"You guys better make it to the Inter-high championship, or else I might go to your school next year!" Ryoichi says with a chuckle before waving and leaving.

As the Yumei High players leave the locker room, they walk down the hallway as a united front. The chapter closes with a final image of them exiting the gymnasium, a team that has tasted victory and is hungry for more, bound together by camaraderie and shared determination.

A.N: Short chapter, since I don't know how to show our protagonists dominace without making it repetitive.

0