Chapter 1
229 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the dimly lit hallway of the hospital, Meredith, Richard, and Bailey approached Thatcher, their footsteps heavy with exhaustion and sorrow. The air crackled with tension, the weight of unspoken emotions palpable.

Thatcher, standing near a large window, turned towards them, his eyes filled with a mixture of hope and desperation. Derek lingered a few steps behind, his gaze filled with concern and uncertainty.

Tears began to form in Meredith's eyes as she neared her father, her heart heavy with the burden of truth. She fought to hold them back, determined to deliver the message she knew would shatter his world.

"We... We did everything... everything we could," she managed to say, her voice quivering with both exhaustion and a hint of guilt.

Thatcher's voice quivered with disbelief and anguish, his body trembling with unspoken grief.

"You... You said it was simple. You said it was just a small thing," he stammered, his voice breaking with unimaginable sadness.

As Meredith looked into her father's tear-filled eyes, her own tears spilled over, cascading down her cheeks.

"It was simple. It was," she whispered, her voice barely audible above the hushed hospital sounds.

Suddenly, Thatcher's sorrow transformed into an overwhelming surge of anger and frustration. In a moment of uncontrolled emotion, his hand lashed out, connecting with a resounding slap against Meredith's cheek.

Time stood still in that instant, the echo of the slap reverberating through the hallway. Richard, Bailey, and Derek froze in disbelief, their eyes widening at the sight before them.

Thatcher recoiled, his hand frozen mid-air, his eyes widening with remorse not for what he did to Meredith but for something else. Regret filled his voice as he spoke to himself.

His voice, a mix of sorrow and regret. "This is karma, I.... I cheated on her all those years ago... and this is my punishment...."

While Thatcher was on the verge of breaking down, Meredith staggered backward, her hand instinctively reaching for her stinging cheek. Tears streamed down her face, a combination of physical pain and the emotional turmoil engulfed her body. She stared at her father for a brief moment before running away.

Derek, wanting to support Meredith, intercepted her path. He wanted to say something but the words he wanted to say were stopped in their tracks.

"No, don't. Don't," she pleaded as she pushed him away.

Meredith turned on her heels, her footsteps echoing through the corridor as she ran, desperate to escape the unbearable weight of her father's disappointment and anger.

Derek, standing nearest to Thatcher, strained to catch the trembling words that escaped his quivering lips. Richard and Bailey, unaware of the deeply personal confession unfolding, remained rooted in their places, their eyes fixed on the heart-wrenching scene before them.

Thatcher crumbled to the floor, his body racked with inconsolable sobs. Amidst his anguished cries, he muttered words that only Derek could hear. They carried the weight of a long-held secret.

Thatcher's broken voice wavered as he spoke of a son he had given up for adoption many years ago. The burden of that decision weighed heavily on his soul. He wondered to himself if this was a punishment, to lose the love of his life due to a secret affair he had all those years ago.

Thatcher's voice cracked with remorse as he questioned the fairness of his suffering. He wondered aloud why he should bear such immense pain.

Derek sighed, his heart heavy with the realization of Thatcher's self-centered perspective. Despite just losing his wife, Thatcher saw her death as a punishment to himself, revealing his narcissistic tendencies. Knowing he couldn't provide the help Thatcher needed, Derek walked away, followed by Richard and Bailey soon after.

LATER THAT NIGHT:

Derek approached Meredith's house, his intentions clear in his mind - he wanted to provide comfort and solace for Meredith. As he was about to knock on the door, he noticed a faint glow emanating from within Meredith's living room. Curiosity piqued, he looked through the window and glimpsed a scene that shows the importance of friendship.

Inside, Meredith, and Izzie were sitting in the living room while Alex was bringing them something in his hands. Their faces wore the weariness of a challenging day, but their determination to find respite was evident.

In the midst of their shared weariness, Alex's voice cut through the silence. "Limes!" he exclaimed, injecting a moment of levity into their gathering.

"Limes!"

"Limes!"

Meredith and Izzie shouted at the same time as Alex placed the limes, shot glasses, and liquor on the table in front of them.

"What are we drinking this time?" he inquired, his voice carrying the exhaustion of their collective struggles.

"Friends. Crappy friends", Izzie stated sarcastically, having George O'Malley on her mind.

While Meredith added, "Family. Crappy family".

Izzie filled their shot glasses and in unison, they raised their glasses, toasting to solidarity, and swiftly downed their drinks.

Witnessing the comforting scene of Meredith encircled by her devoted friends, Derek quietly withdrew and returned to his serene lakeside trailer. However, before surrendering to slumber, an impulse guided him to make a call to his lawyer, seeking the services of a skilled private detective to track down the long-lost son Thatcher had placed for adoption. The reasoning behind his decision eluded him, but deep down, he held onto the hope that a newfound brotherhood could aid Meredith's healing, mending the wounds inflicted by her tumultuous relationship with Thatcher and her mother.

10