Chapter 29
398 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As Gibby sat behind his new drum set, his excitement bubbled over causing Lucas to smile upon seeing such a scene.

"Okay, Gibby! Today, we're going to dive into the wonderful world of drumming", I stated, causing Gibby to take off his shirt and shout, "Let's go!".

"Wow. Easy, Gibby. I know you are excited but before we start hitting the drums, we need to start small", I stated causing Gibby's excitement to deflate a little.

"Oh, okay", Gibby replied.

One by one Lucas introduced to Gibby the different components of the drums and explained their purpose. He patiently guided Gibby through the basics, showing him how to hold the drumsticks and teaching him fundamental drumming techniques.

To Lucas's surprise, Gibby's natural rhythm and enthusiasm shone through from the very beginning. Despite his initial lack of experience, he displayed an uncanny ability to play the instrument effectively for someone still having his first lesson.

***********************

EXTRA SCENE LATER IN THE DAY:

Spencer found himself in the Denny Duquette Memorial Clinic due to a small burn injury on his hand. Burns were quite common for Spencer, and fire-related incidents in general were a regular occurrence in the Shay household.

In fact, despite these fires being small and isolated in most cases, the Shay residence held the record for the highest number of fire related accidents in the entire city of Seattle, a record that had never been broken. The Seattle Fire Department was so familiar with Spencer that they recognized his voice whenever he called for their help.

Plus, they were truly amazed at how frequently he started fire accidents.

"Here he is. He personally asked for you," Doctor Bailey stated as she directed an intern toward the bed where Spencer lay. "Even though I could have treated it sooner," Bailey added with annoyance marking her face before leaving the intern to attend to the patient's injury.

"Dr. Lexie Grey, it's nice to meet you again," Spencer greeted with a smile on his face. Despite having his own ointment to treat the burn, Spencer seized the opportunity to go to the hospital and see Lucas' sister, personally requesting Lexie Grey to be his doctor, even if it meant waiting for two hours.

"Spencer?" Lexie exclaimed with surprise evident on her face. She never expected that the person who had requested her would be the same person she had met a day prior.

"What happened to you?" she asked as she approached Spencer's bed.

"Nothing much, just got burned," he replied with a wide grin.

"I can see that," Lexie responded with a smile as she assessed the injury. "Yes, this just needs a simple ointment. Even the nurses would know that", she added.

"Yeah, but I really wanted a cute doctor to treat my burn," Spencer remarked, but as soon as the words left his mouth, he noticed a nearby nurse giving him a disapproving side-eye look. Awkwardly, Spencer quickly apologized not wanting to have any issues, "Not that I mean you're not cute, ma'am."

The nurse just rolled her eyes as she left, even more annoyed at being called "ma'am". The entire thing just cause Lexie to chuckle

"Well, I'm pretty sure the nurses in this hospital won't like me now," Spencer remarked as Lexie was placing burned ointment on his hand.

"You should be more careful about what you say," Lexie stated.

"Well, maybe we could find a place where we can talk privately,"

With an amused look on her face, "Are you asking me out, Mr. Shay?". She wasn't quite opposed to the idea. Despite Spencer not being the type of man she typically dates. There was just something about Spencer that just made him a lovable goofball.

"Well, yeah," Spencer said, his smile widening.

"Is this how you pick up women?", Lexie teased.

"Only the really hot ones. You should see the number of burn marks I have all over my body," he joked, causing Lexie to chuckle once again.

But before they could continue their conversation, Dr. Bailey coughed loudly, grabbing their attention. "If your patient is all settled now, kindly tell him to leave. We need the bed," Dr. Bailey stated her voice lace with disapproval. She has had enough of her fellow doctors making a hospital a place where they could gossip and flirt. And seeing Lexie flirt in her clinic made her annoyed, which clearly did not escape Lexie's notice.

"Looks like my time is up," Spencer commented, he didn't want to get Lexie in trouble after all. But before he departed, he handed Lexie his phone and asked her to input her phone number, to which she gladly complied.

******************************************************

LATER THAT NIGHT.

As Lucas was dropped off by Gibby's mom, he noticed George O'Malley pacing back and forth on the sidewalk. At first, Charlotte was worried about who this person was and why he was near Lucas' house. Given the recent news spreading in Seattle, she was concerned that something might happen when she left. She considered calling the police just in case, but Lucas quickly assured her that he knew the guy. Reluctantly, Charlotte relented when Lucas informed her that the person pacing on the sidewalk was a doctor and a friend of his sister.

Once Charlotte left, Lucas approached George and asked, "Hey! Are you here for Meredith or for Izzie?"

Startled, George looked at the person who called him and immediately replied, "I'm here for Izzie. I need to talk to her."

"I see," Lucas stated.

In the show, Izzie had been diagnosed with stage IV cancer, which was already quite advanced when discovered. The cancer even caused her to experience hallucinations. Lucas couldn't help but wonder if the cancer had been influencing Izzie's actions without her knowledge in the earlier seasons. He questioned whether the entire situation with Denny Duquette was a result of the cancer affecting her thinking. Cutting someone's LVAD in order to secure a heart transplant would be considered highly irrational, especially for individuals trained to become doctors.

"Tell me, does the hospital offer free check-ups for their doctors?" Lucas asked, choosing not to directly disclose what he knew about Izzie's condition. He could only drop subtle hints and hope that George would become curious enough to investigate further. It was the best approach Lucas could take without raising suspicions about his knowledge.

"Some expenses are covered by the hospital, so it's not technically free. Why do you ask?" George responded, attempting to understand Lucas' line of questioning.

"Maybe Izzie should get checked out, just in case. And maybe you should do it too, so that she won't be alone," Lucas calmly suggested, although he felt a tinge of annoyance at himself for not having a better solution at the moment.

George furrowed his eyebrows, growing more confused. "Why would Izzie need to get checked out?" he asked, trying to make sense of Lucas' concern.

"I don't know. I think you should just get it done," Lucas replied while shrugging. For a brief moment, the thought of blackmailing George about what he knew concerning Izzie and him to his wife played in his mind. However, he quickly dismissed the idea, recognizing its ethical implications.

However, he also couldn't bear the thought of doing nothing while Izzie's health remained uncertain. She had been nothing but kind to him, and he felt a strong desire to help her in any way he could.

"Is something wrong with Izzie?" George asked, still puzzled by Lucas' insistence on Izzie's health.

But before Lucas could respond, Izzie came out of the house and noticed the two of them conversing. "Why are you guys standing out here?" she asked curiously.

Lucas let out a sigh, unable to find the right words to explain his concerns. He glanced at George one last time and said, "Just think about it, George. You might learn something important."

With that, Lucas turned away, leaving George bewildered by the entire conversation. Lucas hoped that his words would make a difference and encourage George to take action for Izzie's sake.

5