Class 09J19 – Scott, XK88 [Capture The Flag]
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Scott, XK-88[2000,06,21][M14][En,La,Eo]
[Gunmetal, Cobalt, Silver][5'7",125lbs][NULL][Nodenomination]
[Artificial Person]


Audiobook Format On YouTube


 

“To thine own self be true, and it must follow, as the night the day, thou canst not then be false to any man.”

-William Shakespeare of English

Capture The Flag

The boys’ locker room was bustling as the boys prepared for the field day. Adrian took some time to flex his muscles in the mirror. Vlad made sure his field uniform was pulled down completely. York was in one of the optional stalls for privacy. All the while XK-88 simply sat on a bench waiting with little patience. Since he didn’t wear clothes he had nothing to change, and since he didn’t sweat he had no reason to shower. Even if he got especially dirty he could easily remove everything off of him using his force field. So he sat waiting on the rest of the class.

“Why are you in here?” Asked Kevin, who was finished changing. “You don’t ever do anything except sit there.”

XK straightened and lent back in the flashy fashion he favored, “Why I simply enjoy watching the experience. Dawning uniforms as if preparing for battle and readying for a fight. It’s divine.”

“You a perv?” Kevin asked in his attacking tone.

“That too. I can’t help it.”

Kevin blushed at that and stepped back, “That ain’t funny.”

XK busted out in laughter at that. Some of the boys joined in chuckles, but it was Adrian who spoke up still flexing in the mirror, “Leave the scrap head alone Kev. Not like it matters much. Let him see what he’s going up against.”

With that Adrian pounded his chest making a sound like a sledgehammer on steel.

“Yeah Kevin.” Semy started to head to the exit, “I mean he can’t just go into the girls’ locker room. Now can he?”

“Why not? He’s not really a guy like us.” Kevin countered.

“True,” York chimed in, “XK-88 doesn’t have a biological sex like we organic people. However, he was assigned the male gender in the school’s file. Thus, he has the same right to be here as you and I.”

“You are aware I’m sitting right here.” XK said leaning in annoyance, “Don’t talk like I’m not a part of the conversation.”

Kevin laughed, “And why not? You’re not a real person.”

He continued to laugh until he was pushed into a locker. The pusher, Vlad, snarled, “Yes he is. He’s a person like you and me.”

Kevin recovered and puffed up at Vlad, “You wanna fight about it?”

“No,” Vlad said before pushing Kevin and knocking him down again, “But I’m not going to let you belittle my friend like that.”

“And what are you going to do about it?” Kevin stood back up and allowed sparks to dance around his fists.

Vlad lifted his head and crossed his arms taking his full towering stance. “I’ll report you to the school.”

Kevin was slack-jawed at that. He shook his head and huffed, “Whatever. York, you ready?”

He strided to the booth and pulled the curtain aside and was met by an energy beam to his chest throwing him across the room.

“Apologies. I hadn’t deactivated my defense array yet.” York waddled out of the stall in his tailored field uniform and his metal omni pack buckled to him like always.

“Why do you have that?” Kevin coughed, “Why use it to change clothes?”

“I am a four-foot midget who is a member of the most discriminated class of demihuman in an environment surrounded by those who could easily hurt or kill me if caught off guard. Call it paranoia if you want though.” York explained.

“Now I would happily offer to carry you out, but again,” York gestured to his knees as he wiggled them, “Midget. See you outside.”

With that York turned and waddled out the locker room to the track of Adrian’s rowling laughter.

“He may be a mutant, but half pint can pop off.” He walked over and picked Kevin up throwing him over his shoulder and also headed out, “Come on. Let’s see if we can knock him around a bit.”

With them gone Vlad walked up to XK and asked, “Are you okay?”

XK waved a hand, “But of course. I’m too grand to allow those halfwits to knock me down a peg. And thanks for it, but you really didn’t have to defend my honor like that.”

“It’s fine. I know what it’s like. Being a non-human demihuman.”

“I should have done something too.” Harrick came up, “I’m sorry XK. Next time I’ll throw my hat in the ring. That way we could go tell the teachers. Together.”

XK and Vlad laughed at Harrick’s offer who also laughed. “I am serious though. I should have said something.”

“Guys. It’s Kevin. He’s not a bad guy. He’s just a stupidly honest guy who can’t think and speak at the same time.” XK shrugged his shoulders. “In fact, I would bet that if anyone else did what he did he would have decked them for insulting me.”

“Still isn’t right,” Vlad said as the three of them started to head out. Today was a field day. Just as important as training the minds of the student body was training their bodies. Since many students had enhanced physical limits the most common method of allowing them to reach those limits was simply to have them play some sport. Today was capture the flag.

“Alright brats, line up.” Coach Sarge shouted as they entered a loose formation, “Today we’re playing Capture the Flag. You’ll be divided into your teams and placed at positions in the forest with a flag. Whichever team has the most flags at the end wins. Move out!”

Coach Sarge gestured to a large tram cart and no one asked any questions. They had all learned that the Coach was not someone who answered questions. So XK, Vlad, and the rest of the classes loaded up. There were two other classes, Class F and Class I, each with twenty-eight students divided into four teams of seven. Eighty-four students in twelve teams total and the tram pulled along just fine. Coach called class teams as we headed around the forest.

“Team J One.” he finally called.

“That’s us.” XK cheered leaping off with grace and looked at the fort that had been built up over many years of field days. Standing only thirty feet wide, it was tall enough to have a second floor that wrapped the inner wall. In the center was a simple red flag drooping without the wind. XK turned around to his team, “Alright, are we ready to defend this flag with our lives?”

Team J One was made up of XK-88, Vlad, Frank, Harrick, Sara, Jessica, and the other Jessica. Between them all they were easily one of, if not the least combat capable team on the field. The rest of the team simply looked at XK with a range of expressions. Jessica Black was the first to speak up. “You can’t be serious. Even if we did fight for our lives we would just be killed.”

Jessica Blanc came up next, “Come on Jessica, we can at least try and have some fun. You know I actually had a dream about a lowly warrior rising to the top of a hill in victory.”

“I thought your visions came when you were awake,” Frank said confused.

“Never mind all that.” XK waved the subject away, “We need to prepare. Jessica, can you make a magic barrier or something?”

“Or something.” Answered Jessica.

“Good enough. Frank, Harrick, scout the area.”

“How do you mean?” asked Frank.

“Search the area and report back. Especially for other students. Sara, you’re with me and Vlad.”

“What?” Vlad and Sara said at the same time.

“Why am I coming with you and Vlad?” asked Sara

“Where are we going?” asked Vlad.

“We’re going on the offense. Vlad you always play so defensively. You can do a lot more if you were just a bit more direct.” XK explained.

“But, I’m a pacifist.”

“I’m not asking you to maul anyone. Just be more direct. It’s a game after all, not a battle.”

“Okay, so about me?” Asked Sara.

“In case we get hurt, or hurt someone else. This is a full-contact sport after all. Now, forward!” and with that XK marched into the forest followed by Vlad and Sara.

They headed deep into the woods while sticking to the well worn paths. The paths were cut into the woods by the years of use, but still curved and twisted by the bulk of the trees and shrubs. In the distance the sound of battle echoed through the forest.

“We’re going up against Class F. They have some really strong people,” Sara said as they turned another bend.

“Don’t count Class I out either. They might be the bottom of the barrel like us, but they’re not pushovers either.” Vlad said.

“But Class F has actual other beings. Like that fairy girl Mercedes.” Sara countered.

“That doesn’t matter, Sara.” XK stopped his pace and turned around, “Just because someone is full other doesn’t make them stronger than someone half other like us by default. Have more confidence.”

“Indeed.” A sweet voice came from above. The trio turned their vision to the source and saw the person they were talking about. Mercedes drifted down slightly and pulled back on a bow as the arrow formed in her hand. “It’s the years of practice and training that makes me stronger by default.”

She released the arrow sending it flying directly into the ground between them causing a mass of vines to sprout with unnatural speed. The vines quickly grabbed them, but XK and Vlad’s strength and speed allowed them to escape. Sara, struggled as she did, was not able to get free before the vines wrapped her legs locking her in place. She screamed for help as Mercedes notched another arrow.

“Vlad, cut her loose. I’ll get Miss Butterfly.” XK ordered as he reached into his mind where all his different functions were lined up, and by turning a zero into a one he started the flux core in his chest. Glowing with the energy that now flowed through him XK morphed his forearm into a cannon and blasted an energy beam at Mercedes who in turn dodged with grace firing another arrow. It landed in the ground and summoned another wave of vines that provided no challenge as XK leaped to another part of the path. The path was wide enough to allow mobility, but only just. If XK wanted a good chance of beating Mercedes he would need to maneuver into a more open area. He remembered that there was a clearing not much further down the path. It was the perfect place to engage with Mercedes and her nature magic. Looking over he saw Vlad had freed Sara and was figuring what to do next.

“Vlad, show time,” XK yelled before summoning another wave of flux energy, but instead of an attack XK simply released the energy around him causing a bright explosion that boomed out. Mercedes was stunned by the flash bang and XK took the time to direct Vlad not to the path, but into the thicket of the woods, Sara on his back.

“What the hell, Kay!” Sara yelled rubbing her eyes.

“Needed her to be distracted. We need a better place to fight her.” XK explained hopping through the bushes.

“Sorry but,” Vlad said as he cut his way through, “Isn’t dense forest better for her?”

“Yes, the best place to fight would have been the clearing further down the path.”

“Okay, and so we headed into the worst place to fight because?” Sara asked.

“Because the best plan would have been to head straight back to the clearing.”

“What?”

Vlad was the one to understand XK’s logic, “Ambush.”

XK snapped his fingers, “Bingo.”

“So then what are we doing?” Sara asked.

XK gave a sly smile, “Counter Ambush.”

The clearing gave way to multiple paths. Each leading to a network of paths and clearings that ended at the spots commonly used for bases. From one Mercedes floated into the center and searched the area.

“Impossible.” She said landing near the edge.

“What’s that?” A figure came out of the thicket. Large and with a deep voice, he was bull-like with horns adding to his bulk.

“I found three other students. One of them blinded me for a moment and disappeared.” Mercedes explained, “I thought they came this way.”

“Well, we didn’t see them.” Another figure, much smaller and humanoid, came from the other side of the clearing, “And we’ve been watching for anyone to come through.”

“Invisibility?” The bull man suggested.

“No.” Mercedes dismissed the idea, “One of them seemed human, but didn’t seem to have any magic or equipment on her. The other two were a ludoyashay and that metal golem.”

“Another ludoyashay? The one on our side is bad enough.” The small man sighed.

“A metal golem?” The bullman tilted his head to scratch, “The brightly colored one?”

“Yeah,” The small answered, “But I don’t think he’s a golem. I think he’s called a robot.”

“Actually I’m an android,” XK said before firing a blast from deeper in the thicket. It hit Mercedes square on and sent her flying back. Vlad then jumped out and tackled the bullman. The smaller man tried to react but was stopped by XK’s swan dive kick. “Be sure to remember that next time.”

The small man jumped to his feet. Which were now easily seen to be hooves, “I will. After all, I was taught to always be respectful when you kick someone’s face in. Name’s Theodore, and whose face do I have the honor of kicking in today?”

“Oh, not a clue. I’m fabulous, not psychic.” XK fainted sympathy, “As for me, I am XK-88 Scott. The greatest creation of the famed Dr. Scott.”

“Never heard of him,” Theodore said as he rushed forward closing the space between them in a single stride. XK stood still as Theodore readied a kick only to be knocked aside by the bulk of the bullman flying into him. They were sent to the edge of the clearing with load thumps.

“Sorry.” Vlad said walking over to XK, “I didn’t mean to hurt you, umm…, I never got your name.”

The two of them stood up knocking the dirt off their clothes. The bullman looked up at Vlad, “I am George.”

“Really? George?” XK mocked, “What’s your daddy’s name? Timothy?”

“Yes,” George said before launching himself at the pair.

Vlad leaped in front of the charge grabbing George and throwing his bulk overhead with great ease. Vlad was the largest in the class. When he wasn’t hiding his bulk with slouching he outsized even Brick and Semy. George was even larger. Even twice the raw mass of Vlad, yet Vlad still sent him across the clearing again. Vlad cringed as the thump shook the ground. “Sorry, George.”

“Don’t you worry. Georgey is a big boy.” Theodore called as he made his own attack on Vlad. A roundhouse kick aimed at Vlad’s belly. The impact was interrupted mere inches away though. Confused Theodore looked to see XK’s hand around his ankle.

“Naughty boy,” XK waggled a finger, “I’m your dance partner in this show.” With swift strength, XK tossed the much smaller Theodore back across the clearing. Landing on his feet Theodore prepared another charge. Another kick that blocked XK and asked, “Tell me, what kind of being are you? I’m guessing satyr, but I don’t want to be rude.”

“I am a satyr. Papa’s a diplomat. Same for George.” Theodore chatted as he delivered kick after kick that XK dodged or blocked.

“George is a satyr?” XK said in mocked surprise, “What DO they feed him?”

XK kept up his pace of reacting to any blow Theodore sent, “Annoying bastards. Good thing you’re here. It’s almost lunchtime.”

“Is it? I can’t believe how time flies as-” XK’s line was cut out by Theodore throwing a punch into his face. XK’s body was all metal, and tough metal at that, but Theodore’s fists were like rocks. XK’s cheek was clearly dented from the blow. “You barbarian! You’ll pay for that!”

“Oh come now. It looks good on you.” Theodore taunted

“Oh, well then, all is forgiven. But still.” XK leaped forward and started to deliver his own attack. It also involved a lot of kicks from his long legs and swift jabs when opening showed themselves. Before long the two of them had traded a dozen blows each. Theodore’s uniform became more and more torn as the fabric was being grated against the metal and stone skin of XK and Theodore. The dents on XK’s body were shallow, but were still the results of impressive blows. Better yet, it turned out that Theodore had held back before and was now going full force causing XK to go even further. He started to summon flux energy from his core and channel it into his kicks and punches. Before long the two of them were in a rhythm set by a violent drumbeat. They bobbed and weaved and blocked and swung. The two were even, but the edge went to XK who, with mechanical body, could endure much more than the powerful, but organic body of Theodore. The satyr started to slip and lose his footing in the dirt. His landings became more and more shaky as his breathing seemed to increase.

Theodore performed what seemed like a dropkick, but was actually a setup to launch himself away opening up some distance between them. Theodore swore in Greek, “Don’t you get tired?”

“I do actually, but it’s more a hard limit.” XK explained as he allowed Theodore to breathe, “Being a machine I don’t rely on chemicals to move my body. So there’s no acid build up in my limbs.”

“Acid build up?” Theodore raised an eyebrow.

“Yes.” XK raised one of his own eyebrows, “Lactic acid. You don’t know that?”

Theodore shrugged his shoulders, “Meh, I don’t drink milk that much.”

“What?” XK was now confused, “What does milk have to do with this?”

“Lactic acid. It’s in milk. That’s what lactic means. From milk.” Theodore explained.

“You know that lactic means milk and lactic is in milk, but not that it builds up in the muscles from intense use?” XK asked.

“I like cheese.”

“I thought you didn’t eat dairy.”

“No, I don’t drink milk. I eat cheese. Love cheese.”

“This is ridiculous.” XK rubbed the bridge of his nose.

“Yeah, well I am just trying to stall for resting time.”

“Yeah, I know. Next time just ask.” XK readied himself.

“Ah, that’s no fun.” Theodore also got ready.

Just then Sara jumped from the thicket, “Mercedes is getting up.”

XK looked back to see that the slim fairy was indeed regaining her senses.

“Oh dear, and I was having so much fun.” XK placed his hand on his chest as he mock swooned. “Oh well. That’s a wrap. Bye.”

XK turned and ran past Sara lifting her up. Vlad had managed to make a decent grapple on George which allowed Vlad to toss him across the clearing again and gallop to XK. They started down a path deeper into the forest as fast as they could. The winding path keeping them from full speed. Deeper in, the paths started to split forcing them to choose directions and often choosing the paths that sounded further away from the battles of others. The trees eventually gave way to another clearing. It was wide and covered with the markings of fights past. Pot marks gouged into the dirt and damage done to the trees. XK set Sara down and surveyed the area. Opening his enhanced senses he collected data from around him. There were no visual signs, and audible signs were muffled. Seismic trembles were faint but still impressive. XK concluded that the nearby battle was half a mile away. He huffed, “Don’t you just hate it when you have to cancel a show mid-performance?”

“Not really. In fact, I wouldn’t have minded canceling before it if it meant I didn’t have to get dragged through the woods.” Sara stood up with her knees shaking.

“You alright dear?” XK leaned forward to see Sara’s pale face.

“Yeah, just” She took a deep breath, “You’re very fast.”

Looking around she then asked, “Where are we?”

“Excellent question.” XK looked to Vlad, “Where are we, Vlad?”

“What? But I thought you were keeping track.” Vlad said sheepishly.

“Oh great! We’re lost!” XK folded his arms and huffed, “Well the show must go on.” He looked around the clearing singing, “Eeny, meeny, miny,” as he pointed to the various paths before ending on a path with a “Moe. Let’s go.”

“Wait. Why that one?” Sara asked

“Because that one was moe. Weren’t you paying attention?” XK said as he strided to the chosen path, “Ask Vlad if you’re confused.”

Sara looked to Vlad who just shrugged and explained, “It’s moe.”, before offering to piggy back her.

Sara sighed and accepted, and the three started down the path. “Can I ask you two something?”

“No time at all, sweetheart. I just wake up like this.” XK said as he posed to no one.

“Huh?” Sara shook off the confusion, “No, about the fight. Why did we run when Mercedes got back up? You two were handling those guys with no problem. Do you think she would be that difficult to take on?”

“I don’t think that in the slightest, Sara dear.” XK tried to flip his stationary hair, “I know it without any doubt as a fact of the matter. That’s why we needed to jump her. If she was alone then Vlad and I could have probably stood toe to toe in a fair, but not likely.”

“But why?”

“She’s Fairy royalty, which means nothing except that she had more than enough practice to handle nearly any scenario.”

“But you guys are really strong. XK, you’re like the fourth strongest guy in the class, and Vlad was handling George like nothing.” Sara pointed out.

“I’m tied for fifth, but yes Vlad here is very capable and if he was more willing he could have easily had beaten George, but I’m not going to ask that of Vlad.” XK turned his head to see Sara’s eyes, “Are you?”

“You did though,” Vlad noted.

“I asked you to do your best.” XK said, “You’re strong and skilled and more than capable of ripping nearly anyone apart, but you don’t want that, and you stand by that through everything. I respect that. You choose more indirect ways to fight. Ways that are at a disadvantage, but again you’re strong and skilled. You can still win fights without actually taking a swing. Which I figured was enough to handle at least one of those two after I took out Mercedes.”

“Still XK, I’m a pacifist. I can’t-” Vlad tried to explain but was cut off by XK giving a dramatic sigh.

“Yes, I know. I remember your speech from our brawl. Let’s just focus on winning this.”

The trio continued on until they broke through the wood line to find another base. In front of it was a disaster’s worth of whined up chaos. Adrian and Kevin were staring down two other students. Another Ludoyashay and an Irken. The Irken were another alien species, and maybe the alien species. They were thought to be the first space-faring species and were the most widespread across the galaxy. They were slim with smooth green skin and big red eyes. They all wore omnipacks and had two antennae on their heads.

“Ah, more victims. I told you Tap, there’s enough to go around.” The Ludoyashay said as he saw them.

“Fine. You were right Igor. It seems even a brute can guess more than I can calculate. Sometimes.” The Irken named Tap said. “So, do you want these two or those two?”

“Hold up. We know those two.” Kevin shouted.

“Yeah, and we’re not going to let you fight them by yourself,” Adrian added.

“So, two against four then?”

“What? Hell no. We’re going to beat you and them.” Adrian stomped a foot on the ground.

“A three-way brawl?” XK said as he prepared, “That’s new to me. Come on Vlad.”

“Wait!” Vlad shouted, “We’re going to fight them and our own classmates?”

Igor eyed Vlad, “You, you are Pacifist. I can not fight you.”

“Why not?” Tap asked. “Oh, By The Eldest, don’t tell me this is a religion thing.”

“A Ludoyashay Pacifist may not engage in combat. It is law.” Igor explained looking away.

This turned something in Vlad. His brow narrowed and he stepped forward, “That is not so. A Ludoyashay Pacifist may not spill blood in times of peace, but I can fight.”

“Oh, how so? With tickles?” Igor looked back with a saw toothed smirk.

“Tickles can be very devastating.” XK remarked stepping forward readying himself, “We can show you if you want.”

“Hey, don’t ignore us!” Adrian shouted, “I’m going to crack all your skulls, or whatever alien equivalent you have!”

“He knows what equivalent means?” Sara said.

“Hey! I’m not an alien!” XK shouted.

“Whatever, alien or robot skull. It’s all the same.” Adrian cracked his knuckles.

“Rude! I’m an android.” XK stomped.

“I thought android was just a robot person,” Vlad asked.

“Yeah, I mean Vlad is more than just an alien,” Sara added.

“Can we fight already!” Kevin shouted before getting blasted by Tap.

The brawl was on. Adrian leaped forward to punch Tap and got clawed by Igor who threw him back as Tap fired another beam from a bulky rifle. Vlad took the opening to launch forward swinging at Tap. Vlad’s punches could break bones at full power, but with only half power an energy shield came up around Tap and turned the strike into a throw as the Irken was sent across the dirt. Igor turned for a tail whip that was possibly also at half power. It was slow and easy to dodge, and Vlad took it full on allowing him to be thrown. Igor was confused by how such a slow attack hit and became disappointed in his smaller kin until a bolt of lightning ripped through his body.

Kevin had regained his footing and aimed at where the two Ludoyashay were until one had managed to get thrown out of the way. Vlad landed on his feet and was about to decide who to target, Igor or Kevin, when Adrian cold cocked him. Vlad fell and rolled away leaving Adrian to take two energy beams from XK and Tap. Adrian yelled in pain but didn’t stumble as smoke floated off of him.

“I thought the tickling thing was a joke.” Adrian chuckled as he surveyed the brawl. Vlad had recovered and was readying an attack on him. Igor had turned to Kevin. Kevin was charging two attacks, Adrian guessed for Igor and XK. XK was on the move to a better position also charging an attack, no guess on who. Lastly, Tap was flying now also surveying like Adrian. XK was the biggest threat with his unknown attack, but Tap was the softest target. Adrian reached into his pocket and pulled a ball bearing and shouted, “Mad Marble Mark!”

He flicked his finger sending the ball bearing at Tap just as Vlad bit into his leg and pulled. The shot went wide by a foot and missed, but the after-blast had spooked Tap just enough for XK to get a clear shot on Tap’s omnipack. The energy shield blocked the bulk of the beam, but Tap was still sent to the ground. Landing on his feet he turned and fired on XK who dodged and weaved around putting Igor between them.

Adrian had guessed wrong. Both of Kevin’s bolts were aimed at Igor who had thought he could take the hit but was sent flying away between Tap and XK. Igor flipped around and got his feet under him and was about to launch off as Vlad flew into him. Adrian had grabbed the lizard boy by the shoulder and hulled him away. The two rolled off opening XK to Tap’s beam rifle, Kevin to XK’s flux cannon, and Tap to Kevin’s shock bolt. They all fire in sync and shouted in harmony.

“Hey Vlad!” Adrian shouted. Everyone else was in recovery and so no one interrupted him as he laughed, “I thought you weren’t allowed to spill blood? But you done went and bloodied my socks.”

Adrian stomped a foot forward showing the crimson blood coming from his shins. Igor was the one to speak, “Spilling blood is metaphor for killing. Not literal blood spill.”

“You wouldn’t think that the way that pansy preaches.” Adrian pointed to Vlad, “Always talking about how fighting is bad, but now you tear into me?”

“I’m sorry.” Vlad said, “I didn’t mean to bite so hard.”

“Sorry!” Adrian shouted and rolled into thunderous laughter, “Fuck man! I’m honored. Adrian Priest, so badass not even a pacifist can ignore me!”

“I guess you’re right.” XK said with a tinge of shame, “I should be sorry to you, Vlad. This is exactly what you didn’t want. I shouldn’t have let this happen.”

“And what could you do about this?” Adrian asked with mirth. “Got some secret technique up your sleeve?”

“As a matter of fact.” XK stood tall and from his chest summoned a wave of flux energy. It flowed around and engulfed him turning his body into light.

“Igor, get back!” Tap shouted. He had produced a camera-like device and was reading something off of it, “His power level is skyrocketing!”

“Hell yeah! It is!” Adrian shouted in glee, “Kevin, you feel this?”

“Scrap head been able to do this the whole time!” Kevin shouted confused, “Why only now?”

“Such power.” Igor said in disbelief, “I thought Class J was a joke.”

“XK! It’s okay!” Vlad shouted, “You don’t have to do this!”

“I got the flag!” Sara shouted as she ran from the base, “I got the flag!”

All eyes were on Sara as she sprinted from the base carrying a pole with a red flag waving behind. Instantly the light around XK vanished, “Guess the show is postponed for now. Vlad!”

Vlad leaped up and over to Sara scooping her up and barreling to the wood line. XK had also jumped over to shield them from both Tap’s and Kevin’s attacks. The trio had managed to slip into the forest and were out of sight.

“Mary! What the hell!” Adrian shouted as he looked over to the base. Mary was stepping out into the open, her role of flag keeper now over.

“You’re the one who said always throw rock!” Mary shouted as she waved a fist.

“I meant as a punch!” Adrian screamed. The trio had just gotten out of earshot when they burst into laughter.

“Great job, Sara dear.” XK praised, “How did you do it!”

“Easy. Only Mary was there. And she challenged me to paper rock scissors.”

“Really?” Vlad laughed, “Why?”

“I don’t know!” Was Sara’s answer and the trio roared in laughter again.

They were shooting down through the paths. They had a flag and now needed to get back to base. From the brush, Theodore and George jumped out ready to fight.

“Not so fast,” Theodore shouted only to have XK deliver a shin kick into his gut knocking the wind out of him followed by a heel kick into George’s face.

“No autographs.” XK landed and kept pace as they continued through the woods. Returning to base they found the rest of the team was worse for wear. “Had fun?”

“Yeah, fought like eight guys,” Frank explained.

“By yourself?” Sara asked.

“Mostly.” Frank smiled showing a smile that now had fewer teeth than before, “Jess is the real star here.”

Jessica tsked at that, “Whatever. I just made a basic circle.”

Jesse said, “Don’t be so modest Jessica. You did good.”

“Indeed.” Harrick said, “A basic working can do much.”

“Whatever.” Jessica rolled her eyes and a whistle cut through the field.

“Game Over!” Coach Sarge’s voice was heard by all. “Return to HQ or wait for evac!”

“Alright, team!” XK cheered, “Let’s go and show our glory!”

An hour later all three classes were gathered in the courtyard. Almost everyone was dirty and bruised with only a few notable exceptions.

“Alright, listen up.” Coach Sarge called, “Only flags inside your base walls at time count. Any disputes aren’t counted. With that, only one team managed to get and keep two flags. Team J Four!”

“What!?” XK shouted, “How?”

“We sent two teams out and managed to each get a flag,” Lucas explained

“But,” XK cried out, “We had two flags too. So aren’t we tied?”

“Nope, you didn’t get it into your base before time was called. So it doesn’t count.”

“I was five feet from it!” XK whined, “The flag was in my hand.”

“Doesn’t matter!”

“But we had their flag!”

“Never said you needed to keep your own flag. J Four wins!”

Adrian and his team shouted in victory as XK pouted, “That’s so unfair.”

“It sure is, kiddo.” Coach Sarge patted XK’s shoulder, “It sure is.”

Vlad and the rest of the team laughed at that. Stepping up Vlad pat XK’s back, “It’s okay XK. At least we had fun. Right?”

XK huffed sounding like he was on the verge of crying, “I guess so.”

0