You Can (Not) Be Free
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

David walks out of the room with many unanswered questions racing through his head. “Aaaahh, this is so frustrating, but I’ll have to solve those problems later,” David says with a sour face.

‘For now, I have to focus on the fly that's been following me from a distance of at least 7 metres, though sometimes it's up to 52 metres away. It's been following me ever since I got into the building. I should not give it any indication that I found it so I can track the sender, David thinks to himself.

Suddenly, a man appears with a bowl cut for his haircut, his hair a blondish brunette colour, wearing a colourful headband with a multicoloured marijuana symbol on it. He wears a beige coat and a tie-dye shirt, earpieces connected to an old mp3 player in his hand.

This strange man that David has never seen was moving to the groove of a song and snapping his fingers to beats that no one can hear. ‘Something feels off about that guy. Best to avoid him,’ David thinks to himself.

“Oh, hey are you, uh, David?” said the bizarre man with a strangely terrifying smile. “No, it seems you have the wrong person. I’m Daven.” David said in an attempt to throw him off his guard.

“A’ight, I guess he’s somewhere else. Oh, right, I’m Bohemian Groove. You better remember that name!” said Bohemian Groove while waving goodbye. Once the man was out of sight David let out a sigh.

“Man, oh, man, that was a weird interaction, and why was he searching for me? And what a weird guy!” David questions while giggling to himself.

“So you lied to me and even insulted me behind my back” whispers a familiar voice that seems to be agitated and annoyed.

Suddenly, David turns around only to see Bohemian Groove clinging to a wall.

David makes direct eye contact with this strange man. “Who the hell are you, and who sent you?” “My, my so many questions that I can’t answer, but to think you are such a dishonest and non-chill dude, so I think you should chill out,” says the strange man.

The man puts his hand into his pocket and his hand emerges holding a cockroach, which he puts to his mouth. The man takes a bite out of the cockroach with a grin. “Mm, ah, oh, so delicious, you want some? It’s good for ya.” David looks in disgust and clenches his fists. “I summon you, Zero!”

Suddenly, the ghastly figure from earlier emerges again. The being called Zero punches Bohemian Grove in the face, knocking him back, “Hio, hio, hio, make peace not war,” says Bohemian Groove with a grin.

David notices something strange about his surroundings. They are no longer in an ordinary hallway. When he tries to peer into the hallway he sees no end to it, like an infinite linear space that goes beyond human comprehension. But to David, it was like a haven, the chance to gain knowledge that no other could get.

“Is this your marionette’s ability, or are you the marionette?” David says with an assertive smile.

“So you knew that I was a marionette, smart boy. I guess that's why you were known as The Observer,” Bohemian Groove says with a grin.

“How do you know that name?” David said with a dark tone as he tenses his fists. “That I cannot say, but I will tell you this, I hope you’re comfy here. After all, you will stay here forever. Toodle-oo,” Bohemian Groove says.

Bohemian Groove begins to walk towards a door that just suddenly appeared. A golden light radiates from inside as he opens the door.

“Huh, wait, I’m not done with you,” David says, but Bohemian Grove walks out before he hears David.

David looks around him to see many more doors than usual, but one catches his attention because it says “secrets of the Steel Blooded Orphan foundation 1”.

“No way does it truly have the secrets that even I don’t know about just behind those doors,” David said with morbid curiosity. ‘Give in to the temptation, you must.’ David’s intrusive thoughts tempted him.

“No, I mustn't, I can’t, I won’. It may be a trap, but I can’t hold the temptation. I must, I can, I will!” David mumbles to himself.

David reaches out his hand to a door knob, but he stops and begins to second guess himself. ‘Open the door. Don’t fight the temptation; embrace it’, the intrusive thoughts egging him on with an intense voracity.

He finally gets a grip on his emotions and swiftly clings to the door handle and opens the door. A white light emerges.

David's eyes widen. His mouth gapes open from what he sees, as tears begin to swell his eyes. He slumps down kneeling before his past, desperately clinging to each breath for dear life.

“No, not this, anything but this,” David says, while staring into an empty snowy tundra with a titanic rectangular building with a lighthouse that illuminates the surrounding area. The sign on the building says “Steel Orphan Foundation 1” alongside a blood red moon with a cross that looks like an x.

Suddenly, the setting changes from a frozen tundra to a stone hallway with dirty rugs and blaring lights.

There are 8 children walking. They seem to be wearing black long-sleeve shirts with many orange stripes and a number on the left shoulder.

These children wearing clothes that look like prison clothes talk to each other. “Oh, man today’s training was brutal!” says a young boy with short, dark-brown hair.

“You said it, David,” says a girl with short, bright-red hair with a giant scar on her forehead.

“All subjects report to the dogma room for testing!” shouts a man through an intercom. “Are they crazy? We just finished training. Are they trying to kill us?” David shouts.

“David, you should know by now they don’t care if we die,” says a girl with long purple hair with a depressed expression.

“Hey, don’t think like that, Kagome. We care if you die or not,” says a smiling boy with short, black hair and a scar across his left eye. “We should hurry before we get in trouble,” says Kagome with a faint smile.

“No, no, no, I don’t want to see this again, that bloody night, but I can’t look away,” David says while he’s slumped on the ground trying to look away to no avail, because of a strange force gripping his head.

The eight children hustle down dirty halls with prying cameras watching their every step. The children make it to a big room filled from corner to corner with white tiles, with an observation deck protected by a thick sheet of glass.

“You brats are late. Be sure to come earlier if you don’t want a good beating!” angrily shouts a tall, menacing man with a big beard.

“Oh, how cruel!” We all know that only one will make it out, if any make it at all,” says a man with a lab coat just low enough for the children not to hear.

“Every one of you maggots, get in your test pods,” shouts the tall man while the scientists chuckles behind him, “Hmm, this’ll definitely be annoying,” David says with an irritated expression.

“No, no, no, stop this,” David says with eyes full of tears and his teeth grinding, his face constricted and strained as he attempts to turn his head away.

All the children get into different cylindrical pods. Some of the white tiles on the wall begin to move and shift, revealing a hydraulic arm that picks up one of the pods. Then the same starts to happen in different parts of the room until all the pods enter a giant circular centrifuge.

“Fill the pods with the fooly cooly liquid,” shouts the menacing man, now with a smirk on his face. The pods begin to fill with the strange light blue liquid.

The centrifuge begins to spin, slowly building momentum to the point that it could match the speed of an F2 tornado. The children begin to liquefy due to the amount of force on their bodies.

At this point, all their bodies have completely dissolved into the fooly cooly liquid in only a few minutes. “Alright, activate the soul fusion,” said a scientist. “Error code 401,” says an automated voice.

“No suitable host found.”. “Then use the one with the highest probability of success!” shouts a scientist. “My livelihood depends on this. I can’t afford to be fired,” a scientist mutters under his breath.

“Soul fusion host selected; success rate 3.14%; beginning fusion.” “No, that’s too low!” Suddenly, the centrifuge speeds up at an incredible rate.

“No, not this! Anything but this!” David says while biting his bottom lip so hard that it bleeds. ‘How long do I have to keep up the act to make that sucker distracted? I'm getting bored of this,’ David thinks to himself with a calm and steady mind.

“Attempt at soul fusion, successful,” the automated voice announces. “Yes!!” shouts a scientist, jumping out of his chair with his hands in the air. “Open the hatch,” says the scientist excitedly. The cylindrical pod that David is in rises out of the centrifuge.

The hatch to the pod opens as David walks out, “what the hell happened?” David says to himself while stumbling “Aw man I feel si-” suddenly David's body convolutes as vomit comes gushing out of his mouth like the great wrath of a waterfall.

David slumps forward, barely able to balance himself, “Ooh I don’t fe-” suddenly David projectile vomits 3 more times with each taking a different colour as well as consistency, and the final one takes him to the ground.

“Oh, I bet the others will do a lot better than me,” David said with a faint smile. “That reminds me: where are the others?”,

“Shut up, maggot!! You’re going to clean up your mess you, hear me?” the menacing man shouts.

‘What the hell, this never happened, whoever is doing this is dead wrong,’ David thinks to himself while managing to keep up the act.

“Yes, Sargent Chrome, but may I ask where the others are?” David says while sweat builds up on his forehead. “They’re dead. Now go to your cell,” says Chrome with an irritated expression.

“Um sorry I think I misheard you, sir,” David said confused, “do I have to explain every little thing. They’re dead. They are not here,” Chrome barks. David's heart drops, praying it’s a dream.

David's eyes look at Chrome with empty pupils, “Oh my god, they're dead, gone,” Chrome says but is interrupted by him seeing David's hand right in front of his face. David doesn’t stop and his fist goes so fast that Chrome's head pops like a balloon on impact.

The room is filled with the sound of bones breaking and blood splattering everywhere. David's expression remains blank as he then appears mid-air in front of a scientist, kicking his head off.

He does the same to the 2 other scientists’ heads. David stands amidst the carnage with desolate eyes looking at the room covered in blood and brain matter, even covering the mess he made.

The door to the room aggressively swings open as a full team of 23 soldiers with baggy black padded uniforms and heavily armed. “Make sure to capture the boy alive. Mr. President says he's important” shouted through his thick mask.

David lunges forwards and punches the soldier in the face, causing the helmet to cave in and launching him into a wall, wrecking the hard surface, barely leaving it standing.

David then snaps a guard's neck so swiftly that it turns 180° then he kicks the air in front of him, knocking all of the guards back into a wall killing them.

The doors close right before David's eyes, “Ha, you fool, you stepped right into my trap. Now you see my power is called Devil's Temptation!” says a mysterious figure in the shadow.

“You see I am Mike and have the power to create and manipulate hallucinations to tempt my victims, and those who fall for my ability, like you, are forced to relive the most painful moments of their lives, as well as make my marionette permanently more powerfu,” the shady man boasts.

The mysterious man walks into the illumination of a light showing a short, skinny teen wearing an oversized hoodie and cargo shorts, “I may not appear it, but I’m an assassin and this is actually my first mission”.

David stares in disbelief and shouts “Would you just shut up, I hate it when people monologue!!” “Huh, why aren't you grovelling like earlier?” Mike says in confusion, “Well, you see you got my backstory completely wrong”.

“No that's impossible, my power is perfect, how,” Mike says in an unsure tone David snaps back “Well that backstory is absolutely false. After all, even though I don’t know it, but I know from my guts that it was wrong”.

“Huh, what do you mean by that? Well, no matter. Devil's Temptation, go and ravage him,” Mike says with his hands stretched downwards.

A being with a radiant light that completely envelops all things near its bright light, and with big wings that can barely be seen through the all-devouring light.

“I summon you, zero,” David says swiftly. Zero begins to diverge from David's body. Zero lunges at Mike raising its fist. Devil's Temptation manages to block zero’s punch.

“Hio hio hio, you can’t attack me with such a dazzling presence protecting me,” Mike said with a manic smile, but David ignores him and says “come back, zero” whispers under his breath.

Zero jumps back to David's side, “you may have a blinding light, but I have a counter to that”, David says as he widens zero’s mouth and shoves his arm in.

David slowly draws his hand out, revealing heat vision goggles. Mike's mouth drops. "Who the hell brings a pair of heat vision goggles to a fight?!! And how the hell do you do that with your marionette?”

David wears the heat vision goggles, now able to see through the light, so he lunges at Mike, raising his leg and kicking him in the face. Mike is knocked back.

Mike wipes away blood from his nose. "Go, Devil Temptation, do whatever it takes to kill this bastard,” Mike shouts.

David swiftly reaches his hand into zero’s mouth and takes out a pistol with a big barrel and red accents for the futuristic gun.

Devil's Temptation goes in to punch David, but he skillfully dodges the attack and sweeps the leg, bringing Devil’s Temptation down to the ground. David points the gun at the prone enemy.

David pulls the trigger 3 times, blasting the head of Devil’s Temptation, dispersing the light apart, but the light begins to come back together, reforming the head.”

David jumps back, ‘So this one regenerates, huh? This is the first one I’ve seen’ David thinks to himself. Zero runs to Devil's Temptation and begins to barrage

David meanwhile jumps towards Mike and pins him down, and points his gun at the back of Mike's head.

“Surrender now, or I’ll kill you, and I really don’t want to kill a teen,” David says calmly. “Damn you, I will never give up, and I will come out on top no matter what!”

Devil’s Temptation suddenly stops fighting and pounces toward David, but zero jumps back and blocks it right as it is about to hit David.

“Well, kid, any last words?” David says as he nudges his gun at the back of Mike's head, “screw you, I will live and become the strongest there ever was” Mike shouts as he attempts to escape David's hold.

David pulls the trigger with no remorse, killing Mike instantly as blood splatters against David's black sweater.

Devil's Temptation disappears without a trace. "Don’t worry, I shot you in your brain stem so you die instantly, though I wonder if he heard heaven's choir”.

1