2-72: Sky Flowers
22 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Kibukuro was a much larger city than either Okaino or Kitayashi, though it still looked quaint compared to Tokyo. Thankfully the train station ended in the heart of downtown and we were within walking distance of the main drag of department stores. I guided us towards and into one and we were greeted with warmth.

We stood for some time in the entrance, perhaps looking crazy, warming up, shivering, wringing out our socks. I took out my wallet, I knew I was going to regret it, but I gave Hana and Kira my card and told them to please be responsible and get what they needed for the cooler weather. It wasn’t like we needed snowshoes or pants, just at the very least some decent windbreakers, long pants and somewhat waterproof shoes. I hoped the two girls wouldn't go crazy.

Famous last words.

I would make do with the cash in my wallet which wasn’t much. I headed to the cheapest store I could find, a chain known for cheap mass manufacturing in bulk. I picked a gaudy green rain jacket and pants as well as hiking shoes. I looked ridiculous, but that was nothing new. I needed something functional and I got it. I returned to the spot where the girls and I had agreed to meet. It was the center of the mall on the first floor. Escalators surrounded me. It was three stories. It was the biggest shopping mall I’d been in since I’d left Tokyo and I honestly felt a little overwhelmed, it was, however… surprisingly empty. I noticed a lot of the businesses had their windows blacked out.

Just as I was ruminating on this I heard the announcement chime. “Everyone! Your attention. The mall will close in five minutes! Five minutes!”

I checked my phone, I had no service but could see the time. It was 7pm, that seemed to me more than a little early to close. I saw patrons slowly exiting, and shopkeepers shutting down. Where the heck were those two? It seemed they were determined to make me wait and worry. It was like their damn mission in life. Ok be calm, relax. Nothing bad can happen in the shopping mall.

Other than my card getting maxed out.

“Master!”

“Peachbutt!”

I whirled, somehow the two had managed to sneak up behind me. Both were wearing matching pink puffy jackets and jeans. The only difference between the two was that Kira’s jeans glittered, studded with sequins. I noticed Hana had a bag with her as well, but did not inquire what else was inside. Both also sported new black boots. A little more stylish than needed but I thought it was functional enough. I nodded.

“Well done you two”

Kira beamed.

Hana patted me on the shoulder and then handed back my card. “Don’t worry, I’m great at finding deals!”

“Yea master it was only-” Hana covered Kira’s mouth and laughed nervously, “Maybe don’t… tell him the exact number okay?”

“Hey you three! Malls’ closing, please exit!” an elderly security guard had popped us behind us and was ushering us out.

Not wanting to cause a scene we merely bowed and followed his directions. Our work was done.

***

We exited the mall and into the streets of Kibukuro, each of us feeling a lot better in our warmer winter gear. It didn’t take us long to realize that something was going on in this sleepy northern town.  Lanterns were strung up between light posts, all the businesses in the street seemed to have closed alongside the mall, and most notably, the streets were filled with people! Despite the cold they wore flowing yukatas and kimonos. The ladies wore their hair pinned up and the man had theirs styled. I hoped, for their sake, they were all  wearing thermal underwear.

“Ooh it's so pretty! Where are they all going?” Kira crooned.

I looked over at Hana who was smiling.

“Couldn’t hurt to take a quick look?” she said

I suppressed a groan. It could, it really could. But I realized this was not a short journey we were on, and morale was as important as another facet of the party's operational capability. We could go, I said, but only for a short while. It would help us get a lay of the land and maybe scout out some hotels on the main strip.

As we progressed with the flow of the crowd I quickly realized that the hotel plan was not going to work. Every Ryokan I stepped into along the main drag was booked. While I focused on this aspect of our journey Hana and Kira enjoyed the sights and sounds of the festival around us. They ate candied fruits, skewered meats, tried out but did not buy (thankfully) several silk kimonos and a few rather scary masks. All the while we followed the crowd further into the center of town. The throngs of people were growing thicker as we approached the center.

Once we got to the center all I could see were the heads of the people in front of me. I could make out that beyond us was a long, semi-frozen riverbank, and then the blackness of trees on the other side. It seemed a strange place for everyone to congregate.

Then the first BOOM went off and Kira screamed. Hana winced and covered her ears, but all of us looked up as the display began. Fireworks were popping off in large amounts across the river, in a beautiful display. Following every BOOM was a scattering of smaller ones or an accompanying screech and brilliant bright pinks, greens, and reds filled the sky. Kira, initially terrified of the sounds, quickly became absolutely mesmerized. Hana wore a deep and pensive expression as she watched them go off. She smiled, but it was almost sad.

I wonder if she has a memory of fireworks. One shared with her parents… before the accident.

We watched together without a word spoken, enjoying them silently other than Kira’s occasional shrieks of delight or surprise.  Indeed, a long time went by, for when I finally checked my phone nearly an hour had passed since we left the department store. I swore. I took both girls by the hand and began to lead them out of the crowd. Kira did not want to leave, so enthralled was she by the fireworks, but Hana and I managed to drag her away.

It was hard navigating the crowd, everyone was staying, and several seemed annoyed we were elbowing our way out early. I didn't like the looks we were receiving. If the pink puffy jackets instead of kimonos hadn’t outed us as out-of-towners, certainly this behavior had.

There was nothing for it at this point, if someone was watching too closely, they would have spotted us. We would just have to be quick about it. There would be no hiding. Once we made it out of the crowd and into the main streets I breathed a sigh of relief.

“Why did we have to go!? The lights were so pretty!” Kira complained.

I explained our situation but this did not placate her. She continued to pout as we went off in search of a hotel. This did not work well. We tried several places and failed to find a room. Even our last resort, a love motel turned us down. We were out of options and as we stood in the neon lit lobby of the place I finally lost my temper.

In a fit of frustration I laid into the staff.

How could, I asked, a town having such a festival not accommodate its guests?

The man on the other end of the counter, his face hidden by a half-curtain, scoffed and explained the spirit festival was the most popular in the province, and if me and my guests cared so much we’d have done our research and at least worn something respectful.

I was about to cuss him out when he gave us the first piece of good advice we’d heard all night. There was, he said, a five star hotel a little ways out of town but no local would stay there. And he didn't expect we could afford it either.

“Give us the damn directions,” Hanna said, slamming her hand down on the counter.

“Yea!” said Kira, mimicking her.

Adorable.

Totally unintimidated, the man sighed and drew us a map on the back of one of the call girl cards from the motel.

***

The mean motel man hadn’t been wrong. The place was nice. And we sure as heck couldn’t afford it. Hana and Kira looked like they were about to head out but I slapped my credit card down on the table. We’ll take it.

“Master, where did you get that?”

“Ryo, are you sure!?”

I waved them away.

“I um, Ryu gave it to me. In case of emergency. I don’t want to talk about it.”

Kira opened her mouth to ask some more questions but Hana quickly shushed her. She knew how much it pained me to accept any help from Ryu. Our relationship was better now, but it was still a sore point with me.

I took it as a point in the hotel’s favor that the receptionist ignored our outlandish outfits and rang my credit card up without another question other than what room we wanted. The girls all started to talk at once but I held up my hand.

“We’ll take the cheapest.”

0