2-76: Trapped Together
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Once we both came to, Amin and I had a long talk by the edge of the mountain. His vision and mine differed, but we both saw the history of our grandfathers, how they were joined. It was strange, like finding a long lost brother. I introduced myself fully as Ryo the temple guardian. It was a good feeling to actually be able to reveal my full self to someone.The one thing that we did not discuss was the summoner, the darkness that had interrupted our vision. I found myself holding back, avoiding the topic.

Amin was nothing like his grandfather. He was a deeply serious man. His job was his whole world, and his job, I found out quickly, was actually that of head monk. This monastery was also no ordinary monastery. It seemed many of those who went off to different temples across Japan were trained here on this mountain. The thought fascinated me, it also made sense then, why someone who wanted to steal things of spiritual value had come here.

I finally broached that subject with Amin. I took a deep breath and interrupted him. He was going on and on about several missions that were being sent out to rural prefectures. I put out a hand and he slowed, cocking an eyebrow.

“Amin, I need to ask you something. You dodged the question earlier but after what I saw in the vision, and I think you saw too, I think it's time I got an answer out of you. He was here, wasn’t he? The demon? He stole something from you… I need to know what it was. He has something of mine, something more valuable than anything in the world. I cannot rest until I have found him.” My voice was rising as I spoke, getting more and more passionate. I felt my fists trembling at my sides.

Fenra, that bastard still has Fenra.

Amin folded his hands into his robes and his look became faraway, as if he was recalling something. Then his gaze met mine. “Yes, I needed to make sure of who you were. Now I know you are someone who can be trusted. You are a Kimura, after all, the grandson of an alumni of our monastery,” he sniffed at that and nodded before continuing, “So I will tell you then, what I know. First, I do not believe this being to be a demon. A man, perhaps, though a corrupted one. His power is great and must come from beyond his own means, beware of that.” The monk cleared his throat and looked, with a raised eyebrow to my left. The girls had awoken.

Kira was rubbing her eyes and Hana was yawning. “How long were we out?” Hana said sleepily, looking at the two of us.

Amin strode passed me to help the girls to their feet. “Not long, my dears. But I must ask a favor of you now. I need to talk to your master, young spirit, and your companion, young lady,” he said the words kindly but firmly. “The two of you are free to wander the grounds, but please do be careful of what you touch. Pay respect to this place and no harm should come of you. Do not interrupt the monks meditating.”

But the head monk’s advice was already falling on deaf ears as Kira scrambled excitedly off towards the kitchens and Hana, an exasperated look on her face, headed after her. I chuckled. “Have fun,” I said light-heartedly.

The monk motioned for me to walk with him and we headed in the opposite direction as the other two. We followed a winding staircase down the backside of the mountain. He talked as he walked. “The one you call the summoner, yes, he was powerful. We are not like guardians here, you know. But we are not as lost as many temples across the country. We have not forgotten the old ways, our connections with spirits. We still remember why we are here. And that, you will find, is a rare thing.”

Amin stopped, for we had come to the bottom of the stairs, a large cave entrance in the rock, fitted with a stone door. A crack ran through it and jagged slashes opened outwards, as if it had been clawed open from the inside. It looked bestial. “He did this, didn’t he?” I asked.

Amin only nodded.“Follow me,” he said. As we entered he took a torch from a bracket on the side of the wall and I heard the scraping of flint as he struck and lit the thing, a pale orange glow illuminating the cave where we stood. It was actually a long hallway carved in the stone . I could see the place was in disarray, it was a grave site, long stone coffins lining the sides of the walls. But deep gouges were in the rock and even the slabs of some of the graves were removed. As we approached the final one Amin held out a hand to my chest. “You should not walk further, you may see something disturbing.”

“I can handle it,” I said through gritted teeth.

I walked forward to see bones strewn wildly, the old dry corpse ripped apart wildly, the stone crumbled around the body. Someone had been searching wildly. Or something. Human hands could not have done the damage I saw below.

“Evidently, it found what it was looking for,” the head monk said, pointing to a hollowed out space that now lay empty below the dismembered corpse. “I inquired with some of the elders, it seems this monk was buried with a rather unique item. A box, sent all the way from china. A puzzle box. Though what significance it might have to our summoner, I have no idea.”

I turned away from the mess, thinking. This was his third item now, one from my buddha, the other from the shrine, and now this from the monastery. Their connection was opaque to me as well but they were all items of spiritual power and connection. Whatever he was planning, I knew it was trouble, something even darker than the abomination I’d faced in the abandoned mines below Kitayashi.

“Let’s get out of this place,” I said slowly, a shiver creeping down my spine. Amin obliged.

***

There wasn’t much more Amin could tell me, even the elders, he said, knew little about why anyone would want to steal that box. But Amin did give me one last clue. He gave me the address of an old man, he said, who lived some ways outside of town. He was a scholar in such things and he might be able to tell us a little more. Amin had to return to his duties after that so I went off in search of the two ladies.

I came across Kira first, but for some reason decided to observe her for a moment before calling out. I had a strange feeling in my gut. She was in an empty stone corridor and faced a wall. I peered out at her from around the corner and saw, to my surprise, she was talking, her lips moving. Fear was on her face.

Who is she talking to?

I strained to hear but the sound was muffled. Then I heard Kira yell the words “No!” I felt a violent surge of energy and stepped out into the corridor. The second I did so Kira dropped to her knees and faced me, eyes wide. The presence seemed to vanish. I ran to the catgirl who was sniffled and picked her up, holding her in my arms. She clung to me. “I'm sorry master, I’m sorry,” she repeated.

I told her it was okay.

I heard footsteps. Hana arrived at my side and asked what the hell was going on. I was at a loss. Kira got down from my arms and straightened herself out, wiping her eyes and staring at her toes. “I’m sorry, master, mistress. I… I just got scared. I had a bad dream.”

“Dream?” Hana asked, “Were you sleeping? In the hallway?”

“Yes!” Kira responded, “That's right! Sleeping!”

Hana and I exchanged a funny look, but didn’t press further.

“I think it’s time we got out of here,” I said. “I’ve seen enough for one day. As beautiful as this place is, it has been touched by darkness. I can see we all experienced that. I will tell you all more on the way down. We have a journey to make, and I think we may need to rent a car.

Kira perked up: “Ooh can I drive?” she asked, finally perking up.

“No!” Hana and I answered in unison.

0