2-78: The Wise Old Man
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I awoke Kira and Hana were still snuggling and snoring fitfully beside me. I smiled. The two of them were a comfort to me in these dark times without Fenra. I opened up the phone and stared at Miku’s contact. I considered calling her. I missed her too. Everything seemed to be all business with her these days and there was no warmth in our talks. And yet, what had that session in the car been before I left? I felt like Miku’s walls were up, and mine were too. We didn’t want to hurt each other again. I was nervous, but I texted her anyway.

“I miss you. I miss us.”

I flipped the phone closed and sighed. It buzzed immediately. I flipped it open.

“Me too <3”

I grinned. It was better than any morning cup of coffee, an affirmation. I felt renewed resolve. I would find Fenra, I would stop the evil summoner, and I would get my girls together again. All of us. Back in Kitayashi where we belonged.

***

The car was a beat up old junker but it ran. I was not an experienced driver and this became obvious as we navigated through the city streets. While Kira was fearless and excited by the adventure, Hana was clutching the handles above the door, clearly afraid as I slammed on the brakes for the hundredth time.

The two girls were back in their puffy jackets and matching pants, ready for the cool morning in the countryside. I was thankful there was no snow but it was frosty and chilly and I was thankful that the heater in the old car worked.

Things got easier once we got out of town and I no longer had to stop and start at each intersection and crossing bicycles or pedestrians. Hana had the directions that the monk had written out for us but it seemed fairly simple, it was basically one long stretch from the town out into the country. Kira urged me to go faster and faster, I revved the engine once or twice and sped up for her enjoyment but slowed down after a few stern glares from Hana.

The countryside was picturesque but also eerily empty. We saw little signs of life in long stretching fields and old traditional houses set inside of them. I wondered who it was we could be visiting all the way out here.

“Stop stop stop!” Hana yelled abruptly and I slammed on the breaks. Kira yelped and I turned to see her leaning forward out of her seat awkwardly, tangled in her seatbelt. I resisted the urge to yell at her as I’d told her a thousand times on the ride over to keep it properly fastened.

“I’m… okay!” She said with a grin, extricating herself from the strange bondage situation she’d inflicted on herself. I turned to Hana who was squinting at the rumpled paper.

“Please tell me I didn’t just do that for nothing,” I said giving her a pointed stare.

“I swear, it says it’s right here!” Hana pleaded.

I sighed and pulled the car over to the side of the road and got out. Hana followed, then Kira, still rubbing her side where the belt had dug into her. I squinted out into the farmland beside us. There was nothing but dried up mud and rows of dead crops. There was, I noticed finally, a small hut with a thatched roof. I didn’t see any light coming from it.

I shared a look with Hana. She bit her lip. “It has to be it, I know it doesn’t look like much. But there is nothing else here.”

I had no choice but to agree. The three of us walked a little ways down the road and found a little bridge across the ditch separating the road and the property. It wasn’t large enough for the car to cross and I took one last look at the beater. I supposed it was unlikely anyone would steal the thing, but I still felt a little uncomfortable leaving it on the side of the road. I did a short prayer for its safekeeping then headed with the girls across the bridge and onto the sprawling but empty property.

By the time we reached the hut our shoes were covered in mud and the girls were complaining about their fancy new pants being soiled. I resisted the urge to tell them that we were out of money for any new outfits for the rest of the expedition. We were far over budget. I didn’t fancy being in further debt to my brother. I said nothing, helping them forge through the mucky fields until we reached the hut.

“It’s ugly!” said Kira simply. Hana giggled then stopped herself.

I raised an eyebrow. The cat spirit wasn’t wrong, it was not an inspiring sight. But this was our only lead. I looked at the blacked out windows. There was no sign of light inside. I composed myself, stepped forward and knocked on the door. There was no response. I knocked again. I heard a rustling scraping sound, and then nothing. My hands curled into fists, I took a deep breath. Had the summoner reached here first? I prepared myself to fight. The door swung open. I raised my fists.

Arms folded, a glare on his face, an old bearded man in an overcoat stared angrily at us. “Get the hell off my property!”

***

It took a lot of convincing, no doubt the charm of the two girls worked to my advantage, but eventually the old man let us in. Only after we had wiped out boots clean and left them at the door and promised to help him with a few tasks around the house. He said he could use a few pairs of young hands and he put us to work immediately before listening to any of our requests. I didn’t argue. As soon as we’d entered it had started to rain and I didn’t fancy going back outside.

The old man led us to the back of the house where there was a porch. He put me to work splitting firewood and Kira and Hana led off to the kitchen to help him with some unknown task. When I was done with firewood teh man led me inside and got me a rag and some oil and set me to work polishing and cleaning various farming implements. I didn’t argue but it struck me as strange given that we were far from harvesting season. Finally when he was satisfied with my work the old man bade me help him and we drag out a small traditional wooden table, set it on the floor and sat. He called for the girls adn they came from the kitchen bearing a trays.

Under the old mans directions they had gathered and prepared a veritable feast. There was rice, various side dishes, kimchi and tea.

We all looked at the man expectantly. Hana was frazzled, her patience clearly worn thin. Kira played with her hands under the table and looked between the three of us. “Well! Can we eat now?” She asked. THe old man turned to her and smiled.

“Yes, yes you can young one,” he said. Kira reached for the snacks and begun munching happily.

“You refused any questions, but we have done your work sir,” Hana said. “Now it is our turn. We were told you would help us. What is your name, sir, and who are you? And what do you know about the stolen artefact?”

“Mmm!” I love this red stuff, what is it?” Kira exclaimed, waving a piece of kimchi on her chopsticks. The old man, for the first time, cracked a smile.

“It is kimchi. Fermented cabbage. I made my own. Thanks to your help ladies we dug it up today. I am happy that you like it.” He paused, then turned to Hana. “You want to know who I am, that is a complicated question. It is something perhaps better left for another time. But about your box, I know of it. It is an artifact from a monastery I know very well. It is from Korea, just like that Kimchi!”

Old man Kim smiled at Kira and she grinned back, with red stained teeth. A slightly scary sight. I saw her tail wriggle free of her pants and took off my jacket, throwing it down to cover it. The old man gave me a strange frown then turned to me. “And you, you are a monk too, yes?”

I swallowed a spoonful of rice and patted my chest. “Um, not quite. I have my own… temple. In Kitayashi.”

His eyes glinted at that. “Interesting, very interesting. And you say the box was not the only thing, also the jewel, the necklace…” he stroked his chin. “I must consider this, what it might mean. But now.. .eat… eat. If your food gets cold then how can a person be satisfied?”

The old man led by example then, shoveling side dishes and rice into his face greedily. When we were done he ordered the two girls to clean and asked me to come with him outside. Hana seethed and opened her mouth to give him a piece of her mind for being sexist but Kira saved the day. “Ooh lets go! I want to make bubbles again!” Kira said happily and Hana just sighed, leading her off to the kitchen.

Me and Old man Kim went outside to the porch where I had chopped firewood. He produced, from the folds of his housecoat, a book. When and where he’d retrieved it I didn’t ask. He opened it and pointed at the page, thrusting the book towards my face. It had an awful musty smell which i tried to ignore. I tried to reach teh archaic writing but could not. I did, however recognize the images. There were six, and among them was a box, a jewel and a necklace. I felt my pulse quicken.

“You see this boy? This is what you are looking for. It is a wonder no-one ever taught you the legends, but I suppose no one keeps good records anymore. Unsurprising. Especially here.”

I cocked my head at that comment. What exactly was that supposed to mean?

“They are treasures, boy. Items of great power given out long ago to the heads of various temples and monasteries across Korea, China and Japan. Together, they have the power to open up a gate… between this world and another. Or so the legend says”

I looked at the man, his dark eyes were shimmering. I knew at that moment he was much wiser and more powerful than he had let on. Who was he? But I didn’t ask.

“We need to stop him.” I said simply.

The old man nodded. “Indeed you do.”

0