Chapter 7 Work on the Shadow Walk
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hilko and Silna arrived at the Shadow Walk, named for the nearly constant shadowed area from the overhanging cliff. After carefully dodging patrols of Amryno guards along an uphill walk, they came upon a wide street with no trash or filth in the gutters. The road held several new three-level buildings along the way. Silna pointed out that the buildings were unoccupied for the moment. 

“We’re still too close to the Chara level of the island,” he replied with a frown. “You’ve heard the rumors about tunnel dwellers who never returned when they come here.”

“That’s just something that the Amryno say to keep us down. I saw the workers hired to come up here as builders. They showed up with hamar for the harlots each day. Now, grow a pair of horas; he’ll be here soon!”

When the one-eyed leader of the tunnels finally arrived just as the sun disappeared, two of his large thugs flanked him. Makra stared coldly at Silna. The woman calmly met his gaze with a grin.

“My friends, you do not need to worry tonight. Soon, your dreams will come true. Come, follow us.” Regaar guided them to the second building.

“They built these as a gift to those Chara servants who would use footpath road into the higher parts of Charax. I sent my tunnel miners to this level to quarry the stone. At a profit, of course.”

Stepping onto the small porch, Hilko noticed the air smelled of new wood, undoubtedly imported from Irdorg like coal since no forest existed on the mountainous island. The structure even had new colored glass on the windows. The one-eyed man grinned at the envy he noticed in Hilko’s eyes while the young man ran his finger along the wooden door frame.

“Even the Faters will come down to the lower class if they need something bad enough. Soon, you’ll see why.” 

 

He removed a skeleton key from his pocket and opened the door. “Even with the pirate attacks going on, supplies must still get to Charax, although at a substantial cost. But I understand there’s a plan to fix that problem.”

The group entered the empty front room with a low ceiling of exposed timber frames. It looked to Hilko like the home was nearly complete. Picking up a half-used candle on a small wall shelf, one of Regaar’s men lit the wick before handing it to his boss. Crossing the stone floor, Regaar pointed them to a small storage room in the back of the home. Automatically, his thugs went to work removing a large slab of stone along the wall. Soon, a small, dark hole showed up in the feeble light. Nodding for his men to step aside, Regaar entered the small room.

“Hilko, come and look.” The one-eyed man ordered as he squatted by the opening. The young man glanced at Silna before he entered to inspect the hole.

“Now you see why I need you and your friend. You will reach a fissure through this tunnel that leads to an ancient vault.” Regaar told him. “I will give you the directions to reach the destination. From my information, you need her strength to help open the vault door made of cast iron.”

“What is in the vault?”

“Many valuable things. But it’s important that you only take one item. There is a disk inscribed with the symbol of Chara on four points that makes up a star pattern. I know you can’t read, but you know the symbol, don’t you?” The big man pulled back to sit on the floor.

Of course, Hilko knew the symbol. Banners covered the island with the Chara markings. It was the basis of their rigid caste structure, which he hated.

“Of course, rotten Faters.” Out of habit, Hilko spat on the floor after his curse.

The big man next to him grinned.

“Yes, my sympathies as well. The disk is slightly bigger than your two hands put together. Remember, it is worth 500 hamar to you.” He held up a bag that clanked with coins. “You retrieve the disk from the vault and return it to us here. Then, you get the gold.”

Nodding, the runner eyed the gold bag so tantalizingly close to him. “What about smuggling it out? You don’t pay before I get back.”

“We’ll talk about that when you return.” Regaar shook the bag again.

Still suspicious, Hilko glanced at the bag.

“Alright, I’ll get this thing. Are there any Amryno to worry about?”

Regaar shook his head.

“No, this tunnel entrance was only recently found when they built the house. I got word of it and, well, you know how I can find a way for all of us to profit. I had one of my men explore the shaft, and he stumbled upon the fissure that led to the vault. Only those in this room know about this entrance. The Chara don’t go into the tunnel but twice a year.”

Silna sucked in her breath at his words, causing the two men to glance at her.

“Nothing.” she shook her head and looked down at the black hole. “How far does this tunnel go back?”

Regaar kept his one eye focused on the woman for a moment.

“Not far. I’ll tell you the path as you go through. My voice will carry far enough for you to hear me.”

“No map?” Hilko asked.

The big man pointed to his head.

“You don’t write anything that others might use.”

He took another candle from his overcoat, giving it to Hilko, who lit it.

“Now get moving; we don’t have all night.” Regaar pointed to the dark entrance as his manner returned to his usual icy demeanor.

“Remember, don’t take anything else, just the silver disk.”

Hilko looked at the shaft, taking a deep breath before crawling forward through the opening. He felt Silna right on his heels. The small tunnel slowly ascended, becoming narrower, until they were on their bellies.

“When you reach the end of this shaft, you will take the left tunnel.” Regaar’s echoing voice reached them. Almost immediately, Hilko came to the fork.

“Found it.” He yelled back.

“Of course. Now follow it until it reaches a wide chamber where you will find three shafts. Take the tunnel on the right. The other two will lead you to death. After entering the chamber, you can’t hear me. Remember that you will see the fissure above you after going into the shaft on the right. It’s just wide enough to go to the vault room. There are no locks. You know what to do after that. Let me know when you start back this way.”

They continued crawling until Hilko could see the shaft opening. Suddenly, a blast of cold air hit him, snuffing out the light. Still, he sensed the chamber was close to him. The runner reached out a hand to find the edge, then pulled himself to the tunnel’s edge. Fumbling around for the bag hanging on his belt, the young man found the tender along with his flint.

“What are you doing up there?” Silna’s voice surprised him. He nearly forgot she was behind him.

“I’m trying to relight the candle. Draft got it.”

“Well, hurry it up,” she told him, attempting to remain calm. The woman refused to remind him she was afraid of the dark.

“Quit it,” Hilko’s voice came back.

“I’m not doing anything but waiting for you,” she hissed back.

“Never mind.” Still feeling the tug on his shoulder, Hilko returned his focus to lighting the tender with his knife and a piece of flint. Suddenly, the spark caught, and a moment later, he continued forward after sliding his knife back into his belt. Still holding on to the leather bag, he crawled on all fours to the tunnel’s edge, then dropped to the chamber floor.

Holding the candle out, the man could not see across the open area. However, he noticed that the rock floor was only an arm’s length below him. Hilko slid out on the floor, setting the candle next to him.

“Come on,” he stuck his hand inside the shaft, grasping Silna’s hand.

“I can do it myself,” the woman protested. He released her hand, moving out of her way.

“We’re in the chamber,” Hilko called back into the dark tunnel. “I’ll let you know when we get back.”

Only silence replied to him, and the man shrugged his shoulders. “Might not hear us now.” He picked up the candle, moving across the large room.

“What’s that?” Silna pointed to a dark mound, barely visible on the floor.

0