The Clash of Kings
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A shadow materialized out of the darkness. "I've come for the Blood King!"

Ray stood up and pulled out his sword. "It appears you've found him."

The shadow's eyes lit up with recognition. "Today is the day you pay for your sins."

  Ray took a step closer to the shadow. "I challenge you to a duel if I win you will leave and never come back here," Ray looked at Cora for a long time like it may be the last time he'll ever see her. "And if you win you may do whatever you want with me."

"I agree to a duel, but if anyone is to interfere I will kill everyone in this room." He glared at Cora.

The two kings shook hands then took fighting stances.

"I hope you're prepared to die, Blood King."

"Hit me with your best shot." 

The shadow took a stab at Ray's chest but he easily deflected it.

He took another stab at the throat this time. Ray slashed through his hand causing him to drop the sword. Blood poured out of the wound. The yellow in his eyes began to fade away.

Ray ran his sword across the shadow's neck. His red eyes lit up with amusement. "I can't believe after all these years you still manage to lose to me, old friend."

"I am not your friend! I am the King of Shadows!"

Ray laughed. "Please, you are no a king. You may have everyone else fooled but I can see right through you."

"You know nothing about me or my power!" He pulled  a vile of black liquid out of his pocket and drank it before Ray had time to react. 

  The color returned to his eyes and his body became one with the shadows. He disappeared into the darkness. Ray quickly spun around looking for him.

The shadow plunged a dagger into Ray's back causing him to cry out in pain. Cora watched from the sidelines in horror. He was going to kill Ray and there was nothing she could do. She never would have thought she would ever be rooting for the Blood King much less be devastated by the thought of losing him. Everyone was wrong about him. He was more than just some killer but no one would ever know the truth.

Ray collapsed onto the floor. No one made a sound.

The shadow crept close to Ray. "Burn in Hell, Blood King!"

"I'll meet you there!" Ray pierced through the shadow's chest.  He gripped the wounded area tightly and stumbled back in pain. "This isn't the end! The Armageddon has only just begun!" He disappeared into the night without a trace.

Val cleaned out the wound on Ray's back then began stitching it up. He winced in pain. Cora squeezed his hand so tight she feared she might break it. "Don't worry, Coraline. I've had far worse injuries than this.

Cora believed him. Almost every inch of his sleek yet well defined torso was covered in battle scars. 

Zyler paced back and forth in front of the tv. "So, let me get this straight you're the Blood King?"

"Yes."

"I don't believe it!"

Cora stood to her feet. "I it sounds crazy but-"

"I can't believe you actually believe this! Do you believe him, Val?"

Val didn't look up from her work. "It's not plausible. The Blood King died roughly 2,000 years ago."

"Thank you! Finally someone acknowledges this is crazy!"

"I think we should hear him out," Scarlet murmured. This was the first time she had spoken since the shadow attacked. "I know it sounds crazy, but there's no harm in hearing what he has to say."

"I'll be more than happy to answer all of your questions," Ray reassured him.

Zyler crossed his arms and sighed. "Alright, I'll listen."

"I grew up in an estate right here in Silvershore. My mother didn't want me to grow up in the palace so she raised me there. I didn't have any friends I was taught to never trust anyone. One day the son of a couple of traveling magicians tried to steal food from the estate. His name was Galen Rivero. Instead of turning him in I decided to let him go free under the condition he'd play with me when he was in town. I used to sneak him into the estate he would always end up stealing something. He was a pain but he was closest thing to a friend ever knew. After my father was killed I moved into the palace where I was crowned king. Rivero begged to come with me and I was stupid enough to let him. I was forced into an arranged marriage with a young duchess. On our wedding day she said she wanted me dead. I wish I had taken her words more seriously. I became obsessed with ruling,. I was going to make Thessionia the greatest empire the world had ever seen. I conquered all of the surrounding nations. I told myself I was doing them a favor, they lacked strong leadership but deep down I knew I was doing the wrong thing. People stared calling me the Blood King, I hated that name. Rivero stopped speaking to me all together. I had heard rumors that someone inside the palace was planning to assasinate me. I knew Rivero was behind it from the start but didn't want to believe it. One night when Lily and I returned to our room the royal guard ambushed me. Rivero was also there. Apparently, the two of them had been planning my demise for months. I never really knew why they did it. I didn't fight back. Everyone hated me and no one was going to mourn my passing. They didn't want to leave any evidence behind so they decided the best way to dispose of me was to trap me alive in burial crystals and move me to a secret location. Lily showed no emotion as she killed me. 2,000 years later I woke up confused in Coraline's home. She's been helping me fit in here. I don't know how I survived for so long nor why I awoke when I did, but I hope we can continue to be friends."

Everyone just sat in silence trying to comprehend that much information. It was becoming unbearably awkward. Then Val spoke. "How are you so young?" 

"I believe the burial persevered my youth."

"I mean I never knew the Blood King was so young I always thought the Blood King was a creepy old guy."  

Ray let out a faint laugh. "People have said a lot of things about me some of them are true but most are exaggerations. 

Zyler still stood with eyes wide in surprise. "You're the real deal aren't you?"

"Yes, I am."

"Do you know who attacked us?" Scarlet asked.

"I have an idea but I'm not completely certain yet."

Zyler looked at Cora. "Why didn't you tell us?"

"Because he's not as bad as everyone thinks he is and I didn't want you to have the wrong impression of him. Plus none of you would have believed me." 

Zyler nodded. "You're right about that."

"So, what are we supposed to do now?" Val asked.

"I don't know." Cora said defeated.

Cora left the group and went to her room to fetch the book hopefully it would be able to help them but her book wasn't on the bed where she left it. She frantically scoured the room looking for it. Then she saw it on the top shelf in her closet. How did it get up there?

As she went to grab it she felt something cold wrap itself around her body. It covered her mouth before she could cry for help. She reached for the book but something stabbed into her arm. She couldn't breathe. Her fingers grazed her sword. She had to grab it. It's grip got stronger. It felt like her insides were being crushed. Something sharp ripped through her clothes. She reached for her sword one more time. She strained to reach it. It was just centimeters away from her hand. She just had to reach a little further.

0