The Final Battle
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cora ran through the dark corridors, it was nearly impossible to see anything since the power went out. She nearly stumbled over her own feet several times. She wasn't sure if Val was still behind her or not. She ran her fingertips against the walls feeling her way through the darkness.

After an eternity of wandering she tripped down a medium sized staircase and fell on her knees. She promptly stood back up. Her legs ached from the fall, they were most likely going to bruise in the following weeks, if she lived that long.

"Snap out of it!" She whispered to herself. "I'm not going to die!" She had to stay positive. She had to survive, for her parents and for Ray. She continued to brush her fingers against the cobblestone walls until she felt something wooden in front of her, a door. She slowly pushed it open just a crack. She peered through the opening, the door lead to an outdoor arena.

The King of Shadows stood in the center wearing a dark cloak holding a bottle filled with a smoky black liquid in hand. He promptly gulped down the entire bottle which caused his green eyes to turn yellow. He stepped out of her line of vision. She gradually pushed the door open hoping to catch him by surprise. The hinges creaked loudly, the sound echoed throughout the entire arena. He turned to face her, his beady eyes ripped right through her soul then he disappeared.

She felt him grab her from behind and place a hand over her mouth, it was all far too familiar to her. She was prepared this time, she wasn't going to let him intimidate her ever again. She quickly spun around, pulled out her sword and jabbed it straight through his heart.

"It has taken me two thousand years to perfect my potion." Her sword fazed right through him. Her attack didn't injure him at all. "I've finally done it, nothing can harm me now." He forcibly grabbed her by the wrists and vanished taking her with him.

For a few brief moments it felt like she was drowning in a sea of shadows. The darkness felt like it would consume her entirely. Before she could comprehend what was happening she was transported to the center of the arena. The pouring rain instantly soaked through her clothes and caused her to shiver.

The King of Shadows pushed her to the ground. Her mouth was filled with the taste of mud. Her knees throbbed from the impact, but she forced herself to get back up.

He pulled two swords out of his sleeves. He swung them directly towards her face, she held her sword to block his attack, but he continued to grind his swords into hers. She pushed back as hard as she could.

"You know, very few people have managed to surprise me. I underestimated you, that was my mistake, one I'll never make again."

Cora swiftly maneuvered herself out of his grasp causing him to stumble. He regained his balance then disappeared. He reappeared behind her. She swung and missed. He appeared to her left then to her right she missed both times. He popped up from a million different directions. She could barely keep up with his attacks and he showed no sign of slowing down. He had managed to leave several scratches on her, but she refused to let him know the pain they caused her.

He materialized a few feet away from her. "You remind me of your grandmother, she also fought me until her dying breath. She wasn't strong enough to defeat me and neither are you."

Her insides boiled with rage. Without thinking she charged towards him. He vanished then emerged from the darkness behind her. He forced her to the ground once more. She tried to get back up, but her aching muscles would not allow her to do so.

He kicked her in the face with his steel toed boot. "Pathetic." He remarked under his breath. Blood poured out of her nostrils. When he wasn't looking she slipped her hand into her pocket, the potion antidote was still in tact. She just had to get close enough to inject it. She desperately wished her friends were here to back her up, but for now she had to she had to face him alone.

As she crept towards him she noticed his movements were slowing down and his eyes were beginning to lose their color. He was distracted by some in the distance. This was her chance to strike! His shoulder was within her grasp. She reached out to insert the injection. Before she had time to think he spun around and carved a deep gash into the palm of her hand causing her to drop the antidote. The wound throbbed so hard she couldn't help but let out a cry in anguish.

"Did you really think I wouldn't see that coming?" He scoffed.

"Stop this now, Rivero!" Ray stood in the edge of the area, leaning on Dimitri for support.

The King of Shadows scowled at the sound of his real name. "You really haven't changed at all, Raymundo."

"I command you to surrender now."

"I don't take orders from you anymore!" He snapped. "How can you sleep at night knowing how many innocent lives you've taken?"

Ray raised his hands in surrender. "I don't. I can never forgive myself for what I've done and I'm not asking you to forgive me. This fight is between you and me, please, I'm begging you, leave Coraline out of this."

Cora picked up the antidote then closed in hoping this time she'd manage to inject it. She had him right where she wanted him. She carefully administered the antidote through his clothes. He didn't even flinch. She'd have no way of knowing if it worked until he tried to teleport again.

He placed a hand on his chin for a few moments. I'm sorry, but I'm afraid it's too late for that." Without hesitation Rivero's sword tore through Cora's abdomen and she collapsed onto the soaked ground.

Adrenaline rushed through her body, she needed to keep fighting. When she tried to get up pain surged through her entire body. She gasped for air despite how agonizing it was to do so. Her white T-shirt was completely stained red from her blood.

"Tell me Raymundo, how does it feel to watch the only person that gives a damn about you die right in front of your eyes?"

"BURN IN HELL!" Ray shouted between sobs. He fell onto his knees beside her. "Please stay with me Coraline I can't lose you." He gently whispered trying to control his tears.

"You're gonna pay for messing with my best friend!" Dimitri tightly gripped his sword.

The King of Shadows rolled his eyes. "Oh, please I've taken down men three times your size with twice your skill what makes you think you can defeat me."

"Maybe I can't defeat you," Dimitri gestured towards the entrance. "but I bet they can."

There stood Scarlet and Zyler followed by the entire pack of Tibicenas.

"You are going down," Zyler exclaimed.

"Imposible! They are loyal to me alone!"

The pack fiercely growled at the dark figure in front of them.

"Not anymore," Scarlet interjected. "You've hurt these animals and now they're going to hurt you back."

The pack circled Rivero with their teeth bared. For a brief moment fear flashed through his eyes. "You should fear me I am the most powerful magician who's ever lived." His voice cracked with anxiety. He tried to teleport, but nothing happened. He tried again to no avail. "How?"

Cora smirked. Nomatter what happens to her she was pleased to know she'd played a part in the King of Shadows demise.

The Tibicenas closed in on the King of Shadows then pounced on top of their prey. His loud cries echoed through the arena. After several moments Scarlet called the pack back to her.

Galen Rivero forced himself to his feet. He was able to stand despite being covered from head to toe in bites and scratches. "You didn't kill me." He laughed to himself.

"We aren't murderers like you." Cora said desperately trying not to lose consciousness, because she feared if she did she may she may never wake up.

"You're going to regret letting me live."

He was probably right, but Cora refused to stoop to his level. The ground was soaked with her blood. She was fading quickly and couldn't keep her eyes open for much longer.

Ray scooped her up in his arms. "Don't worry, Val is coming back with help, they should be here any minute now.

"I need you to promise me something." Cora croaked with what little life force she had left.

Ray nodded.

"No matter what happens, I need you to promise me you won't let it change you."

"I promise."

"Thank you." She placed a gentle kiss on his lips before everything faded to black.

0