The Silver Huntsman
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Well, this is awkward." Heath plopped down on the dew-covered ground getting mud on his jeans.

Gregorio refused to look Theo in the eyes. "I'm very sorry, Theodore, but I had to complete my mission."

"But, you didn't complete your mission did you?"

Chandler shifted back into his human form and stood up. "How dare you accuse the Pack Father of neglecting his duty! He is the most faithful member of the Silver Huntsmen and—"

Gregorio cleared his throat, signaling for everyone to listen.

"You had orders to kill me, but you didn't. Why not?"

Pack Father Gregorio sat down beside Heath. He didn't seem to care that his expensive-looking suit was now covered in dirt. The sun reflected off his silver hair. "I never wanted to hurt anyone. I signed up for this job because I wanted to make the world a better place for werewolves. The Pack Mother convinced me that eradicating the Mixedbloods was the best way to accomplish that. I killed so many people without question, but when the time came, I couldn't bring myself to harm a cub."

Now they all sat in a circle on the ground. "What made you change your mind?" Rosalind asked.

He looked Theo in the eyes. "I have two cubs of my own, they're not much older than you. They are the reason I do what I do, but I can't justify taking the life of someone else's cub."

Theo folded his arms. "Do you regret it? Killing all those people?"

"Sometimes, but I have to do what's best for my pack and my people."

Chandler was staring at him like a kid who had just been told Santa Claus isn't real. "I thought you said you'd never failed a mission."

Gregorio patted him on the shoulders. "I understand how hard this must be for you to hear. I know how highly you think of me."

"Does Pack Mother Luna know you let him go?" Duke spoke up for the first time.

He shook his head. "I didn't. I ask you please don't tell her what I did."

Duke slid his hands into his pockets. "Didn't you always tell us not to keep secrets from the pack mother?"

"I know what I've told you in the past, I'm begging you to keep this between us. There could be dire consequences for us if she finds out the truth. I'll respect whatever decision you make."

Theo turned away from the rest of the group. He couldn't bear to look at the man who shot his father any longer.

Duke stood up. "What are our next orders, sir?"

"Escort these two back to the den, I'll make the arrangements with the Pack Mother."

"Yes, sir." They all stood to their feet."

Duke stood tall and spoke in an authoritative tone. "Follow me." It was clear he was trying to impress the Pack Father.

Pack Father Gregorio nodded in their direction. I'll meet you at the rendezvous point. I'm trusting you to make sure everything goes smoothly."

"We won't let you down, sir," Chandler said.

"I know you won't." Gregorio shifted back into his wolf form then sprinted towards the ridge.

Everyone watched in silence as he dashed through the forest. As soon as he was out of sight. Chandler grabbed Theo by the shirt. "Listen up Mixedblood. I should be delivering your head to the Pack Mother as we speak, but our Pack Father has decided to show you mercy. I trust his judgment. If you try to pull any stunts, I'll slaughter you right here."

Theo pushed him away. "Be careful, you promised that everything would go smoothly. The last thing you'd want to do is disappoint your beloved Pack Father."

His boldness shocked Rosalind.

Chandler clenched his teeth. "Do you have a bone to picker with me?"

"Perhaps I don't appreciate being treated like a rabid animal!"

"You're not in any place to be making demands here!" Chandler snapped.

"Hey! Knock it off you two!" Rosalind stepped between them. "Listen, I know we don't particularly like each other. After we meet with The Pack Mother we'll never have to see each other again. Can we try to get along for now?"

Theo extended a hand. "Rosalind is correct, there's no point in arguing."

Chandler turned away, ignoring his outstretched hand. "Let's get going. You've already wasted enough of my time."

Rosalind gripped Theo's hand. Which was becoming a usual occurrence for them, and began their hike to the den. Chandler cringed at their display of affection.

They trekked into the fires for roughly half an hour. Until they reached a stone wall with intricate carvings of wolves in battle engraved into it. Duke placed his hand overtop of a carving of a paw print.

The wall glowed red and a ghastly voice spoke. "What is round yet flat as a board, the alter of the Lupine Lords, A jewel on black velvet, a pearl in the sea, Unchanged yet ever-moving?"

Duke cleared his throat. "The moon."

"Welcome."

The ground shook, and the stone wall opened up revealing a poorly lit stairway. Rosalind stared into the black abyss. There was no way of knowing exactly what awaited them. She had come much too far to be scared off by a creepy hallway.

"What are you waiting for?" Heath nudged her forward almost causing her to trip down the winding staircase.

Once they were all past the threshold the stone wall slammed shut, sealing itself off from the rest of the world. There was no turning back for her now. They tiptoed down the stairs, step by step until they reached yet another door. This one opened automatically once they'd all reached the bottom step.

Behind the next door appeared to be some sort of underground cave. The inside was much warmer than she would've expected for somewhere this far beneath the ground. The inside was decorated with old-looking furniture and Leather couches that were covered in various colors of shedded wolf fur. dusty bookcases lined the walls. There wasn't a single window in sight, but the room remained well lit regardless. This room was much more inviting than the previous one. There were seven closed doors scattered throughout the walls. How big was this place?

Chandler pointed at one of the couches. "Wait there," he glared at Theo. "And try not to contaminate anything with your Mixedblood germs."

"I don't think Mixedblood germs are a real thing," Heath said.

"Shut up, Heath!" Chandler charged into one of the side rooms and slammed the door behind him.

"I can't believe you let him talk to you like that," Theo remarked as he sat down on the furry couch. "You should try standing up for yourself."

"Nah, Chandler only acts tough, deep down he's a huge softie."

Chandler grumbled something foul sounding from behind the closed door.

She found it very hard to believe there was anything kind underneath all that angst.

"I'm sorry about all the fur on the furniture my Pack Brothers are animals." Duke chuckled at his own joke.

"Hey! We all shed on this couch equally, and you know it!" Heath snapped.

Duke tried to hide a guilty expression behind his hand.

Heath plopped down beside her on the couch, and she moved to the farthest end of the couch in response. He nudged her with his elbow. "You should totally join our pack. We haven't had a female since Veronica quit."

"But I'm not a werewolf."

He shrugged. "If you say so."

Chandler returned to the main room with a crimson hoodie in his hand. He dropped it on her lap.

"What's this?"

"A sweatshirt moron, to replace the one I destroyed." He pointed to the ripped and bloodied one she was wearing.

She stood up. "You can't replace it! It was my brother's" she was beginning to choke up, but she wouldn't cry, not in front of him.

He refused to make eye contact with her. "I'm sorry." He said in a tone that almost felt sincere. "Let me give you some advice, kid. It's better not to hold on to the past. It'll only hold you back."

There it was again the same stupid advice her mother had given to her over and over her entire life. She rolled her eyes. "Thanks for the advice." Her voice dripped with bitterness.

Theo seemed to sense her tension and squeezed her hand, but this time it didn't calm her.

Duke stepped between them before Rosalind could give in to her overwhelming desire to punch Chandler in the face. He pointed to one of the doors. "There's a bathroom over there if you want to change."

She turned around and marched into the bathroom without another word. The bathroom was small. It was impressive that they managed to get working plumbing down here. Rosalind begrudgingly changed out of her brother's sweatshirt and put on the new one. She held the tattered one close to her chest as tears streamed down her cheeks. She didn't know why she missed someone she'd never known this much.

She sat on the bathroom floor, Cradling the ruined sweatshirt in her arms. Until someone knocked on the door. "Are you alright?" It was Theo.

"Yeah." She wiped away her tears. "I'm alright."

"You'd better hurry. The Pack Mother is ready for our meeting. She won't be pleased if we keep her waiting."

"I'll be right there." She splashed some water on her face and met him outside.

Pack Father Gregorio was waiting for them in the center of the room. "The Pack Mother has agreed to a meeting. Follow me." He nodded towards the Huntsmen. "She would like to meet with you three as well."

The group followed Pack Father Gregorio into a dimly lit office. Everything in this room appeared to be antique except for several wolf heads hanging on the wall. There was an old cherry wood desk at the back of the room. At the desk sat a slender woman wearing a long red dress and fur coat. She had long raven-colored hair, blood-red lips, and long nails that looked sharp enough to impale someone. She had dark brown eyes that were all too familiar.

"Mom?"

She smirked. "Welcome home Rosalind."

0