If I Could Tell Her
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"My brother's alive?" 

Her mother nodded.

"That's impossible! Chad died fourteen years ago!

Luna rolled her eyes. "No, that's just what your grandmother told you to spare you from the truth."

"What is the truth, then?" Rosalind couldn't keep the skepticism out of her voice. She wasn't going to get her hopes up. It's not like her mother would be nominated for The Most Trustworthy Person of the Year Award.

Luna leaned back in her chair. "I couldn't control the little runt. He was completely reckless with his abilities. He would transform whenever he had the chance regardless of who was watching. He became far too much of a liability, so I sent him away."

"He couldn't control his werewolf abilities, so you sent him away?"

She laughed. "No, actually he was quite good at controlling his transformations. What he lacked was restraint. Every time he'd get bullied on the schoolyard, he would show them his wild side. Let's just say I had to pay a lot of people to keep quiet. I got tired of covering up for him, so I sent him to go be someone else's problem."

"That's it? Did you even try to help him? Or did you get rid of him as soon he was an inconvenience to you?"

Luna frowned. "Now you're making me sound like the bad guy. I'm doing what's best for everyone."

"Is it what's best for everyone, or is it what's best for yourself? You kept my brother from me for years!" She banged her fists on the desk. "Do you have any idea how hard it's been for me, having to live without him? You are the bad guy!"

Rage flickered through her mother's eyes. "I've heard enough. Gregorio, escort her out of here." She glared at Rosalind. "I'm expecting you to get your temper in check before the council arrives."

Gregorio dragged her out of the office and into the living room. The office door promptly shut behind them. Then he pointed to a room towards the end of the hall. "You can stay in that room over there, while you'll be staying with us. Chandler has offered to let you borrow his clothes until we can get you some of your own.

"Why would he do that?"

"Chandler's a good boy, but he doesn't always show it."

She waited for him to elaborate further, but he didn't, so she wandered into the room she'd be staying in. It was a small room with nothing but a bed and a vanity. The walls were painted a shade of pale green, which complimented the white bedspread with pink butterflies embroidered into it. The decor looked like it was intended for someone much younger than her. Overall it wasn't too shabby for a spooky underground cave. The only potential giveaway that they were underground was the complete lack of windows.

She shut the door behind her. She noticed the bow and arrows she had found in the Sightless Caverns leaned against the far side of the vanity. How did it get here? She scoured the room for a place to stash them. First, she dug through the vanity drawers. The bottom drawer contained blue jeans, sweatpants, hoodies, and a note that was scribbled in nearly illegible handwriting.

These are my clothes, but you can borrow them, I guess. Just try not to spill on them or anything         —Chandler

Rosalind pulled out a pair of sweatpants to change into later, then she tossed the note in the tiny wastebasket in the corner of the room.

Next, she searched the middle drawer, which was full of soaps and other toiletries.

The top drawer was full of hair accessories and expensive makeup pallets and another note this one was written with impeccable penmanship.

Dear Rosalind, I've provided you with everything you'll need to look presentable when the council arrives. There is a dress laid out on your bedspread and I expect you to wear it to the banquet Friday evening. I trust that you won't do anything to make me look bad in front of the council, Sincerely, Pack Mother Luna

She crumpled up the note and threw it in the wastebasket beside Chandler's note. Then flopped onto her bed. Living here was going to be a nightmare! She begrudgingly picked up the dress and admired it. It was made from soft red velvet with black lace trim, a black ribbon around the waist, and a V-neck that plunged much too low for her comfort. Gran would kill her if she caught her wearing like this, but it didn't seem like she was going to have much of a choice.

Gran was never going to forgive her for leaving again, but it was a small price to pay for Theo's life. She wondered what he was doing right now with his newfound freedom.

Gregorio knocked on the door. "Are you alright Miss Rosalind?"

"Yeah. I'll be out in a minute." She quickly changed into new clothes and hid the bow and arrows under the bed. She met Gregorio waited patiently outside her door. He fidgeted anxiously.  "Miss Rosalind, there's something I need to tell you,

"What is it?"

"I–" He paused and cleared his throat. "You're needed in the training room."

"Oh, okay."

He leaned up against one of the bookshelves and let out a sigh.

She glanced from him to the doors and then at him again. "Can you please show me where the training room is?"

He nodded. "Of course, follow me."

Rosalind couldn't figure him out. Pack Father Gregorio didn't seem malicious, and the Huntsmen seemed to have a lot of respect for him. She couldn't shake the feeling he was keeping secrets.

He led her to a white door. Then the walls started glowing bright red.

"Not again, he cursed under his breath and brushed his fingers across the gun secured to his belt. "I am very sorry I couldn't spend more time with you, Miss Rosalind, but there's something I need to take care of."

He apologizes a lot. Rosalind folded her arms. "It's fine, do whatever you need to do."

"Thank you for understanding." He lowered his head. "Chandler will teach you everything you need to know. If he gives you a hard time, tell him I'm counting on him." The walls opened up and Gregorio marched outside and the walls closed behind him.

"Perfect." She scoffed. The last thing she wanted to do is train with Chandler of all people. She'd be happy if she never had to speak with him ever again. Her eyes darted around the room. She was completely alone. Maybe, she could escape somehow. She frantically felt the walls hoping that they'd open up, but they didn't budge. She accepted her defeat. It was being selfish by trying to leave before she could control her transformations. She could easily hurt someone or worse. She stood up and swallowed her pride. She could put up with Chandler if it meant she wouldn't hurt anyone.

She barged through the white door and into a large open room with light gray walls. punching bags hung from the ceiling, and blue gym mats covered the cement floors. The three boys were working out in separate corners of the room. She was definitely in the right place.

She took a deep breath and marched over to the corner where Chandler was doing push-ups. "Hey!" She called out trying to get his attention over the sound of rock music blared through his earbuds. Eventually, she'd had enough of him ignoring her, so she yanked out his earbuds.

"What do you want?" He let out an aggravated sigh and stood up. His left cheek was bandaged where Luna had scratched him the day prior. "Listen, If you need something you can go ask Duke. Alright?"

"Pack Father Gregorio said you'd teach me everything I need to know."

Chandler kicked an empty water bottle against the wall. "We talked about this," he muttered to himself. "He said he wasn't going to make me do this."

She rolled her eyes. "Sorry training me is such an inconvenience to you."

He refused to make eye contact. "Whatever."

"The Pack Father said he was counting on you."

His eyes lit up for a brief moment. "For real?"

She nodded.

He rolled up his sleeves revealing muscular biceps. "Let's get started."

He guided her over to the area where the punching bags were hanging. "The first thing you'll need to learn is hand-to-hand combat because when a werewolf gets too close, sometimes your best weapons are your own fists." He loudly cracked his knuckles. "Why don't you show me what you're made of, rookie? Hit me with your best shot."

She was more than happy to meet his request. She tightened her fist, wound up, then rammed her knuckles into his jaw as hard as she could.

"Son of a—" he cursed and held his jaw.

"You told me to hit you with my best shot, she said, playing innocent.

"Ya, but it wasn't supposed to hurt," he whined.

She chuckled. "Do you have any idea how much arm strength archery takes?"

"I've never thought about it."

She flexed her muscles. "Well, it takes a lot."

Chandler raised an eyebrow. "Why don't you practice using those ginormous muscles on this punching bag?"

She made a fist and hit the bag as hard as she could.

"Not bad, but you should make sure your thumb is on the outside of your fist, like this." He held up his own fist as an example. "If you don't you could break it." He made a cracking sound with his mouth.

She punched the bag a third time, using Chandler's advice.

"Great job, rookie. You'll be a pro in no time."

She couldn't hide her satisfaction.  It was nice to receive some praise. "So, when do I learn how to transform?"

He shrugged. "Transforming isn't really something I can teach, it's something that comes to you on your own."

"Perfect." She muttered and ran her fingers through her hair.

"I don't remember giving you permission to stop punching."

She resumed pummeling the bag. "Hey, Chandler do you know my brother, Chad Kenneally?"

"Yeah, I know him. Well, At least I used to."

"What's he like?"

He paused for a moment contemplating how to respond. "He was a shy kid, he always had a hard time fitting in with the rest of the pack. He was angry all the time. He hated everyone. He hated the Alphas for not accepting him. He hated Pack Brothers for being better Huntsmen than him. He hated his parents for having him. I think he hated himself the most."

"Did he hate me?"

"No, not you."

"We're you two close?"

"Sort of... but if we're being honest I  couldn't stand the little runt."

"Why?"

"Because he's weak and selfish and pushes everyone close to him away! For some stupid reason, The Pack Father never gave up on him!" He slammed his fist into the punching bag causing it to move several inches.

The pair sat in silence for an uncomfortably long time. Rosalind never knew any of those things about her brother. He'd always been put on a pedestal like some kind of saint. It's easier to disregard someone's flaws when they're dead.

"He talked about you all the time."

"Really?"

"Yeah." He handed her a water bottle. "Why don't we take a break."

                                                     ...

Theo stood outside the Silver Huntsmen's den. He placed his hand on the paw print for the hundredth time hoping this time it would yield results but alas, it did not. "Come on, he muttered to himself. "Open up!" After they had escorted Theo out of the cave the previous day, he had been trifling with the locket. After several hours of prying, he managed to open it. Inside he found a picture of Rosalind and her brother. He was returning it because it was the right thing to do, not solely because he wanted to make sure she was okay.

The crisp autumn air left goosebumps on his flesh He rubbed his hands together in an attempt to warm them.

He rested his hand on the paw print, to his surprise, it opened. He tried to go inside but Pack Father Gregorio blocked his path. "You're very brave for coming back here, cub."

"How'd you find out I was here?"

"You set off the intruder alarm. You're not the first person to find the location of our den, you know."

"I need to speak with Rosalind."

"I'm afraid I can't allow that."

showed him the photograph."I need to give this back to her."

His eyes widened as he examined the picture. I'll make sure she gets this back, he said as he stuffed it in his pocket. "You're free to go this time but if I ever catch you around here again there will be consequences." He turned around and began his descent into the den.

"I think I'm falling for her!" Theo hadn't meant to say those words out loud, they sort of tumbled out. There was no taking them back now, he might as well roll with it. "I need to know that she's going to be okay. I'm not expecting you to understand, but please let me see her one last time then I promise I'll leave and never return."

Gregorio froze in his tracks. "I understand perfectly. You care for Rosalind deeply, but you only realized how much after you were separated. You feel the need to tell her everything you never had the chance to because you don't know if you'll have another opportunity."

"Yes actually. How did you know all that?"

"Because I feel the same way you do. We've been separated for years, and she doesn't know it, but Rosalind is my daughter.

0