The Confronation
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"We must hurry!" Gregorio rushed into Gran's cottage. "Luna is going to go through with her plan to put Wolfsbane in the water supply!"

"When?"  Chandler asked.

"The council requested a demonstration before they'll give her funding. She intends to use all of you as test subjects for the poison as a punishment for betraying her. She's already found Duke and Heath."

Chandler shot to his feet and threw on his jacket. "What are we waiting for? Let's go!"

"I'm much too old for this," Gran said.

Gregorio gave an understanding nod and signaled for Rosalind to follow them.

"What? I can't go. I won't be any help, I'll slow you guys down."

Gregorio placed a hand on her shoulder. "I won't force you to do anything you don't want to. I won't sugarcoat this, what we're about to do is very dangerous, and if you're not up for it, I suggest you stay here." He handed her the silver bow and arrows. "But I gave you these because I know you're strong enough to wield them."

She looked up to meet his gaze. "You're the one who put these in my room?"

He nodded.

She threw the quiver over her shoulder. "Let's go."

The trio sprinted down the forest path towards Mr. Fowler's cabin. When they arrived, Duke, Heath, and Theo were trying their hardest to fend off the enemy werewolves, but they were vastly outnumbered.

"Back away from them." Rosalind equipped a silver arrow and drew back the bowstring to prove she was serious. "This is your only warning."

One of the werewolves turned towards her. "Ha, go home, little girl. I'm not scared of you." He let out a low-pitched growl, trying to scare her, but she wouldn't back down. He sped towards her, ready to pounce. She released the arrow, it pierced the wolf's side, and he collapsed to the ground.

Rosalind ripped the bloody arrow out of his flesh and held it up for the world to see. "Who's next?"

Some of the enemy werewolves slowly backed down, while others became increasingly hostile.

Duke nodded towards Chandler. "It's about damn time you showed up."

"What? Do you need me to fight your battles for you?" Chandler teased. He cracked his knuckles and shifted into his wolf form.

Rosalind loaded another arrow onto her bow and aimed at the remaining wolves. "Where's my mother?"

"She headed towards the Dawnstar Cliffs," Duke said. "She's going to pour Wolfbane into the river from there."

"I need to stop her," Rosalind said.

Theo jumped in front of her, creating a barrier between her and the enemy wolves. "Climb on my back. I can get you there faster."

She didn't need to be told twice. She threw her bow over her shoulder, dug her fingers into his long golden fur, and pulled herself up onto his back.

"We'll hold them off," Heath said.

Without another word, Theo darted into the woods. Rosalind whispered directions into his ear as they went.

A few of the opposing werewolves chased them into the forest. "You can't escape us, Mixedblood!" One of them roared.

"Do you remember when you captured Chandler in the hunting trap?" Theo whispered.

"Yeah."

He glanced back at their pursuers.

Rosalind gave him a knowing smile and tightened her grip. They dashed down a woodland path, their harassers followed quickly behind them. One of the wolves tried to bite Rosalind, but she kicked it in the snout.

When they reached the trap, Theo leaped over it, sticking the landing on the other side.

The other wolves weren't so lucky. They'd walked directly into the trap, and they were now stuck in a massive net.

"Stay,"  Theo commanded.

They growled in response.

Neither Theo nor Rosalind had time to wait and see if the net was strong enough to hold them. The duo decided to keep moving and hope for the best.

When they reached the edge of the cliffs, they spotted Pack Mother Luna. She hummed a jazzy tune to herself as she unloaded bottles of Wolfbane. Her expression soured when she spotted them. "I'm assuming you're not here to surrender."

Rosalind slid off Theo's back. "No, we're here to make you surrender."

Her mother laughed hysterically. "Look at you trying to be tough. You remind me of Chandler. Sure, you know how to threaten and intimidate, but deep down you don't have what it takes to do what needs to be done." She sighed. "What were the chances both of my children would end up being failures?"

"Pretty high, considering you sucked as a mother."

"Don't use me as a scapegoat for your own shortcomings." She scolded.

Rosalind was about to retort when Theo stopped her. "She's trying to stall us."

A smirk spread across the Pack Mother's lips. "You're pretty clever, Mr. Lovell. If you'd been born a Pureblood, I could've used someone like you in my pack."

Rosalind had heard enough. She fired an arrow at the crate full of Wolfbane. Her arrow plowed directly through three of the bottles, causing them to shatter. The cream-colored seeped into the ground, making the grass wilt.

For the first time in her life, Luna looked genuinely surprised.

Rosalind lined up another shot, ready to destroy more of the bottles, when a werewolf stepped out of the forest with the bloody body of another werewolf in his jaws. He dropped the body at Luna's feet. "I've captured one of the traitors, Pack Mother." He said.

Luna glared down at the body with a look of disgust. "Is he even still alive? I specifically asked for you to bring them in alive, so I could be the one to kill them!" She snapped.

"I'm pretty sure he's still alive." The wolf said, with a twinge of uncertainty in his voice.

Luna leaned down to get a closer look.

The wolf was still breathing. The beaten wolf shifted back into his human form.

"Well, if it isn't my beloved husband, Gregorio." She yanked him up by the hair. "You were always such a loyal lap dog. What happened? Why did you betray me? She roared.

He didn't respond.

She smacked him in the face. "Why?"

"Because I enabled you for too long. I watched you tear apart our family and abuse our son. I didn't do nearly enough to stop you. I wish I'd betrayed you decades ago." He gazed over at Rosalind. "Maybe then I wouldn't have been forced to choose between my daughter and my son."

Luna let out a scream that resembled the cry of a banshee. "You worthless traitor!" She punched him in the nose repeatedly. Once she had her fill, she reached for one of the bottles.

"Don't kill him." Rosalind didn't know why, but she had an overwhelming urge to protect him. "You can take whatever you want from me."

Her mother considered the offer for a few moments, then said, "Give me the locket."

Rosalind nodded towards Theo. She refused to release her grip on the bow and arrow, so Theo shifted back into his human form and removed the locket from her neck. He tossed it to Luna, who caught it in one hand. She promptly threw it off the edge of the cliff and into the ravine below. "It's time for you to stop hindering your gifts, Rosalind.

"Okay." She said. "Now stop hurting him."

A wicked grin spread across her mother's lips. "Watch and learn, Rosalind. This is what happens to people who betray me!" She uncorked the bottle of Wolfbane and pressed it to Gregorio's lips.

Gregorio gazed affectionately at Rosalind. "It's too late for me now. Fetch your brother and get away from here. I'm sorry I couldn't be there, Mija."

Rosalind froze. Mija? Gregorio was her father? It couldn't end like this! She'd finally found her family, she couldn't lose him now. In her shock, she lost her grip on the arrow she'd been aiming, and it plunged into her mother's chest. Luna's eyes widened as she stumbled back from the arrow's blow. She released her grip on Gregorio, as she fell backward off the side of the ravine, where the sharp rocks tore her apart.

Rosalind crashed to her knees in a fit of sobs. Theo knelt beside her and held her in his arms. She sobbed into his shoulder. "I killed my mom."

0