Chapter 2
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“No thanks. I brought my bike” 

“Aw man. At least lemme accompany ya. Feel free ta go yer own pace” 

“Wouldn’t it be more productive if you sought potential customers instead? You’d just be wasting your time following me”

“Now, now, don’ say TAT! I tought hwe ‘hwere pretty good friends. I hwas jus’ makin’ some routine rounds so it’s not like I NEED to ‘hwork right now” The cab driver insisted.

“If you really want to. I don’t mind” I shrugged indifferently, removing my bike from the rack. 

“Uhh, is everytin’ ok? Ya don’ normally seem tis gloomy. And I tought ya got off ‘hwork in the afternoon” Don’t people from Raux say “arvo”?

“I’m working on a flexible part-time contract so I can come and go as I please. Whenever they need me, I answer. That’s about it” I paused, turning to face him. “How do I seem ‘more gloomy’?”

“Don’ need ta be a mind reader ta see it. I don’ mean to indulge of course. Jus’ couldn’t ‘elp but notice” The Rauxian informed. 

Raux is the southernmost continent of Lower Czingrodael. It’s a desert region with only several well-developed, major cities. As it borders the coast, it hosts the largest beach on the continent as well. The people have naturally tanned/sunburnt skin with sandy brown hair, and any variation of green eyes. Legends of old say the Rauxians evolved into a more humanoid species from some ancient cat-folk several thousand years prior, but that could easily be a myth. Though there’s probably enough evidence to suit those claims. 

“It’s nothing really” I lied. Though initiating conversation with him has lightened the mood. 

Jeremy got his driver’s license at the start of the year, on the day of his 18th birthday, but he’s been working as a cab driver from well before then. I’m about to start my final year at uni, while he’ll be entering his first. I met him in my first year at the Capital, when he was only 15. The kid came from a family of financial constraints, so was forced into labor as a taxi driver since he was 12. As to HOW he got away with it for 6 years, remains a mystery to me. I’m pretty sure he told me, but I didn’t care to listen as that’s not really something you tell a cop. So since the start of the year, he’s been LEGALLY working as a driver to finance his studies. Apparently he’ll be studying geology as well.

“I ‘ope ‘hwateva’s botherin’ ya eases. I’m ‘ere if ya hwanna talk”

“I appreciate that. By the way, the Summer’s almost over. Have you gotten enough money for your upcoming semester?”

“Mhm! It’s enough ta pay for my entire first year, so I’m good ta go on tat front. I jus’ needta keep hworkin’ ta afford everythin’ else that comes in life” He explained. 

“That’s good. I’ll be sure to utilize your services so you get as much money as possible”

“Oh, ya don’ need ta, so don’ hworry! Besides, I’m more tan ok bein’ yer transporter for free!”

“Jeremy, that’s a terrible idea. The entire point is for you to make money, not miss out on it” The first time I met him, he took me to a football match. I planned on cycling to the stadium but he seemed desperate and wouldn’t stop begging me. In the end, I couldn’t turn him down. He then asked if I’d be more comfortable driving since he was a ki- Oh yeah, that’s how he got away with it. He managed to convince his passengers (Who were often 18+) to drive so he didn’t get caught, so it would seem like Jeremy was the one in need of a ride. Not sure how many people listened to him, but it seemed to be quite successful.

“It’s not like I give discounts ta erey-one. Besides, business ‘as been good as of late. Tere’s just hwone ting missin’ in my life”

“A partner?” I raised an eyebrow. 

“I jus’ can’t seem ta find te right one” He nodded, closing his eyes in despair. “At tis point, I don’ even tink such a ting exists. I’m ok settlin’ down hwit hwateva I get” 

“Well to be fair, you’re only eighteen and have your entire life ahead of you. I’m sure you’ll find the right one with time” I assured. 

“Maybe. 'Ave ya eva experienced bein’ in love?” The driver asked, slowing down a little to match my speed. 

“It’s, um, yeah I have, but” It’s been three years since Christine and I broke up. It’s not like we left on bad terms or anythings, but there were some things that we couldn’t control. “It’s a long story. Before Christine, all I had were rejections and one-sided relationships with the girls I liked. She was a nice change in environment, but since I wasn’t used to being in that kind of situation, I didn’t really handle it well” I confessed. 

“So tat’s hwy ya broke up?” The two of us took a left turn as we got closer to my apartment. 

“It was definitely one of the factors. She and I were childhood friends who grew up together. I was two years older than her so to be fair it was kind of weird when we started dating so young. I was sixteen and she was fourteen. We were together for my last two years of high school, but I broke up with her when I turned eighteen. I didn’t like the fact that she was a still a minor when I was of age”-

“But now yer twenty-one right? Meaning she’s nineteen. Hwy not get together now?” 

“I told her to move on and start dating someone else. That wasn’t the right time for us to be together. Maybe in the future we could be, but for now it’s best if she has someone else as we’re both at different stages of our lives. She’s in her second year of med school at Oakholden, while I’m in the Capital, starting my final year. For the last three years she’s been together with some dude. We talk mostly every day though. I still love her and want to be with her, but she’s too far away. I can’t let my future depend on just one person you know?” I sighed. Ending things with her was a necessary sacrifice for both of us. 

“And te fact tat she’s wit someone else”

“Eh that doesn’t really matter”

“Huh? Wadduya mean?”

“Thanks for accompanying me” I reached into my wallet, pulling out a few silver coins. The Empire of Czinrodael has a standardized currency which uses coins made of different metals. Platinum is the most expensive and valuable, then Gold, Silver, Copper, and Tin. Only those living in destitution use Tin. Money Launderers use Brass, Steel, and Bronze to get away with scamming people. But they fail to realize that the metal can still be useful for other means. 

“Hwait, hwat did ya mean wen ya said”-

“I told you, giving rides for free is dumb”

“Tat’s not hwat I’m”-

“It’s ok, I promise. Please don’t worry. Hopefully I’ll be seeing you around more once classes start”

“Ye ‘opefully! Also, apparently tere’s tis really attractive redhead hwo’s transferred to our uni. She recently moved into town. Tink she’ll be in ‘er second year” Ok and? “I tink she’s majoring in AI. Not entirely sure though” Wait…

“Oh, nice. Did you get her name” It has to be her. But, why? Wasn’t she beyond thrilled at Baulder? That’s the best institute for studying technology and AI and she already completed her first year.

“Nah mate, sorry. I’ll probably see ‘er when the semester starts” Seems Roxy’s been doing some things on her own without telling me… All her life she’s been talking about going to Baulder and getting her degree from there. Then she finally got accepted at only sixteen, and couldn’t be happier. Throughout the past year, she’s been talking about how great it is. It’s a university located in the northern most country, “The Winterlands”, named after the house that ruled there for over a millennia. 

“Best of luck with that then” She’s only seventeen. Then again, Jeremy is only eighteen so there’s only a year difference. That doesn’t matter. What made her change her mind? Really hope it’s not cause of everything that’s happened these past two years. Hell, even these past few months. First I need to confirm if it’s really her or not. 

“Mhm. See ya!” Jeremy exclaimed as I pulled out my phone to text Roxy. Those two getting together? Can’t really see it. ‘Are you currently in Imperius by any chance?’

‘Hm? No?? I’m perfectly fine in Baulder. Lovingggg the weather here. Why would I be in your lame city? :P’ She replied. 

‘Just wondering. Someone who suited your criteria has transferred in our university’

‘Here’s your proof if you don’t believe me’ Sure enough, Roxy sent a pic of her flipping me off. 

‘Aww was hoping it’d be you’ LIAR! She always sends this pic whenever she gets the chance. What’s she being so secretive for though? 

‘You still haven’t come up a single time by the way. We only see each other when I’M the one who visits. That’s not very nice’ Neither is lying to your best friend. 

‘I mean, I’ll try. But yeah was just wondering. Anyway I just got back home from work so I’m going to unwind. See you later’ Is it my place to find out why she’s here or should I respect her privacy? Because she’s not going to tell me the reason directly until we meet. She hasn’t even come to meet me yet… Something’s definitely up. 

A little backstory on Roxy. Her mother’s from Quarl (Same place as my ‘foster mother’ and where we both spent our youth and childhood), and her father’s from Jurgensen. Her real name is Roxanne Van Dinkel, but she hates her last name, favoring her mother’s maiden name: “O’Riordon”. Which, in truth, is so much better. She’s sandwiched between two brothers; Antoine-20 and Jansen-13.

Antoine went missing over a decade ago and has been presumed dead. There was a kidnapping incident in which both Roxy and him were taken when they were very young and I was only able to save one of them. Roxy has no memory of that and it was erased completely from her mind. There’s no proof about Antoine’s status, and his father has been searching for him behind the scenes. Though there’s been no progress so far, one thing’s for certain. Antoine O’Riordon is no longer on the continent of Czingrodael…

Back in 2013, I ran away from home, moving in with their family due to the rising tensions with my foster father, leaving him alone with my younger sister. It was a great decision at the time as the Van Dinkels took me in as their own, raising me for the remaining years until I went off to uni. I offered my sister to move in with me then, and also when I moved to Imperius, but she refused both times, saying “Someone has to stay to take care of father. He’s been through a lot and needs someone there for him, regardless of how he’s been acting. I don’t want our family to fall apart”. Which was fair. In the end I was the stupid one for leaving the two alone for my own selfish reasons, and it cost me greatly.

‘Okkkkkk, see youuu. Would you be down to call at some point by the way?’ Why would Roxy choose to come here over Baulder? Everyone in my batch is graduating next May, so what’s the point? 

‘I’ll let you know’ I haven’t seen her ever (Or Christine) since my little “prison visit”. It’d be nice to hear her voice again. I opened the door to the apartment, crashing onto the bed, kicking off my shoes as I pulled my blanket over myself. It wasn’t even five pm yet, and I already wanted to sleep. Didn’t feel like doing anything else. 

I pulled out my phone once more, searching up my sister’s number. ‘Heyy Ichika, hope you’ve been doing well. I miss you. A lot. More than anything. I’m really sorry for all the times I haven’t been a good enough older brother to you, and for not being there when you needed me most. I love you so much and I’ll never stop caring about you. You’ll always be important to me’ I waited for fifteen minutes, only to see the message stuck at one tick. Oh right. It’s not like she’d respond. After all, why would anyone who’s passed onto the next life, have any interest in what they left behind?

0