Chapter 10
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“I apologize if I’m intruding at a time like this. You seem busy so I’ll keep it short. I can’t reveal everything in full detail just yet, so you’ll have to bear with me a little longer. Once you recruit the people on your dossiers, we can meet in person. Which will probably be by the end of your semester. As I said, you can take your time with this. There’s no rush. It would just be preferred if we could meet by New Year’s”

“Is that all you wanted to say?” I asked, entering the flash drive in and starting the process. 

“Well, um, no. I was going to inform you that as a board member of Orion, you have our full funding and backing. We’ve already sent a batch of equipment and are currently in the process of producing more, courtesy of the Cartographer. If you have any needs or requests that need to be fulfilled, please let us know. And also”- The hologram faded once more. Is holo-tech that underdeveloped that it can’t host a call for more than three minutes?

“OYEEE didya start te upload?” Jeremy wondered, joining me downstairs. 

“Mhm. It’s coming along smoothly so far. Wait, I only asked Youri to give me a view of certain sectors with the most crime” So why is it-

“Yeah so?”

“SO WHY is it showing us what’s going on in EVERY part of Imperius?” Youri’s codes have given us full access to the entire city…

“Isn’ tat a good ting? Now hwe can check out crime all ova te city!”

“We don’t have enough men to do that. We’re too short staffed to be operating on that scale and we’ll be left feeling stretched thin and powerless in most cases. Meaning we’ll have to ignore things out of our league or above our paygrade. I don’t like that idea, but we have to smart small”

“Um, Eden. Tere’s a problem”

“Hm?” The smell of smoke filled the air. “Shit! Get an extinguisher now!” I commanded as the PC went up in flames. Jeremy did as ordered, spraying it everywhere until the fire died out. 

“Phew, tat hwas close!”

“No, it wasn’t. The PC’s fried”

“Mmm, in tat case, ya can take it ta Tyrone Delaney hwen ya go ta pick up te car! You’ll be killin’ two birds hwit one stone, or tree since hwe ‘avta recruit ‘im too”

“I still don’t understand why our car’s with an electrical engineer”

“Tink of ‘im as a mechanic and an engineer. From hwat I know, e’s makin slight adjustments. Te vehicle’s bein tailored ta suit our needs” Damn Franz and his intricate schemes. Why can’t anyone just be straightforward? “Also, before te PC crashed, I saw hwat looked like a probable robbery. Shall hwe check it out?”

“HOW? You left the car at uni!” I reminded.

“Hwe ‘ave more tan one car mate. Let’s go” He stated, pulling out the BMW keys.

“Oh we’re definitely gonna look so discrete pulling up in this? Doesn’t this place have anything low-key?” 

“Hwe don’ really ‘ave a choice mate. From what I recall, it’s by Green’s Tavern” Isn’t that the place where whoever sent those boxes told me to meet them? Who even uses the word “Tavern” anymore?

“Why don’t they just call it a bar or a club?” I asked as we left the mansion. 

“Hwell firstly, there’s an ‘uge difference between tose two. Secondly, I forgot you’re new ‘ere” I’m not. “It’s also a bro”- His phone rang, interrupting whatever he was saying. “Gimme a sec. Yeah, ‘ello? Oh Amelia!” I barely managed to hear what they were saying. Something involving her mom and a donkey? Do I even want to know at this point?

“So, you were saying” I reminded as he hung up. “What’s this about a donkey?” 

“Yeah tat’s not important. Green’s Tavern isn’t jus’ a bar. It’s also a brothel” Oh...

“Shall we go there for your sake?” 

“Nope. I tink I found te right one” SINCE WHEN? Is he talking about Roxy??? “’Ow bout you?”

“No thanks, I’m good” I sighed upon our arrival.

“Hm, tere’s no one ‘ere. Hwait! A lady’s approachin’” Three hooded figures popped up in front, closing off the alley. Three more appeared from behind, surrounding her completely. “Hwe should probably intervene” 

“You look lost little lady. Maybe we can offer you a nice ride” The lead thug held a knife in each hand, standing inches away from his victim. “You look exquisite. I’d love to carve you up” He reached out a hand to touch her. Strange. Prostitutes are often treated with the highest respect in Czingrodael. They have so much power and influence that they’re rarely ever placed in situations like this. 

“Oye Hwat te bloody fuck are ya hwaitin’ for?” My partner demanded, accidentally honking the horn, alerting the enemy of our presence. I quickly flicked the highbeams a few times to disorient the rapists as they turned in our direction, using that opportunity to make an entrance as I jumped out of the car and ran towards them. I slashed the two closest to me with my Wakizashi, making contact with their hands but only able to cut a few fingers off.

“Well, well, well, if it ain’t the Ungeist. Our den would rather call you the Janitor, for taking out our trash competition” Their “Leader” guffawed. Even his teeth were tattooed… All of them turned to face me, attempting to create an intimidating atmosphere. 

“Now before”- Three of them simultaneously began slashing at me with their knives. I dodged twice, elbowing the knife out of the third’s hands before impaling his palm into the wall. I quickly removed it, slashing at the oncoming attacker, leaving a long cut along his chest. “Come on this is no funn. You should all be attacking at once” I taunted, crouching down as I cut one of their member’s legs from behind. 

“As if any of us would be that stupid!” One of them charged directly at me, allowing me to side step, grab his arm, twist, and then toss him into the dumpster. 

“Know your place, trash” I sighed. Do I kill them? They are rapists after all. Is it my place to pass judgement like that? But wasn’t that why I chose this life in the first place? Specifically TO pass that judgement and do what the legal system couldn’t? Who am I, that I get to decide who lives and dies by my sword. But, they’re rapists. I could just incapacitate them and leave this all for the police to handle. I can render them incapable of fighting anyway. But if they’re with a gang, they could easily be-

“Lower your blade, or she dies!” Tattooed Teeth threatened, holding a knife to the girl’s throat. Dammit! I was too preoccupied with my own moral dilemma. “You don’t screw with the Banes. The only reason we’ve let you live despite your countless inconveniences is cause you’ve helped take care of a lot of our competition. But now it’s about time you retire, Janitor” On the bright side, these guys don’t seem to have any powers either. I just need to find a way to take him out without hurting the girl. 

In my head, I had thrown the blade. It was like what happened before. I saw and felt something happen, but a second later, it was as if that whole thing was erased. I don’t really know how to explain it. But, I had thrown the blade at him, only for it to narrowly miss. The thug then pressed his knife deep into her throat, cutting it open from ear to ear. Before anything else could happen, the Wakizashi was still in my hand, and the head thug hadn’t done anything yet. Instead, Jeremy shot him twice in the shoulder, making his arm go limp, then fired three more rounds into his chest before I could even do anything. 

“Nice one!” I called out, slashing behind me at the two thugs who tried to grab me from behind. Jeremy went around making sure they were all taken care of, cracking them against the head with his gun. I let out a deep sigh of relief as I saw the lady still alive. But, how? She had died, right in front of my eyes. I wasn’t imagining it. I had failed. I messed up and missed at the crucial moment. So how was she still alive? How did no one else see or feel that?

“Don’ mention it”

“Ma’am, are you ok?”  I enquired. Thankfully, our mission was a success. But barely…

“Yes, thank you!” She cried, digging her face into my shoulder, her tears dampening my jacket. She sounded familiar. Jeremy picked up her purse. “Thank you so much! How can I ever repay you?” She sobbed. This could have ended very differently if Jeremy’s quick thinking didn’t atone for my screw up. 

“Ya don’ need ta. Hwe’re jus’ doin’ our job” Jeremy smiled. 

“There-there must be something I can do. I know! H-how ab-about a free night?” A free what? And where do I recognize her from?

“Sayy ya don’ ‘appen ta hwork at Green’s Tavern do ya?” A devilish smile crept across my partner’s face. 

“Sorry ma’am, I think we’ll have to decline your um, offer” 

“It’s not for me, it’s for ya” Jeremy leaned in and whispered.

“Ok that’s enough, I don’t care” 

“Oh but, I insist” She pouted, giving us her card. Why, why was a prostitute put into this kind of situation? Things like this have been happening quite frequently lately, completely going against the status quo. Normally they’re the ones exploiting others and running things on their terms. They’re normally way too “powerful” to be placed into something like this. 

“No. Anyway Miss, Asayo Dimanchi, who exactly are you?”

“I’m a consort” Yeah no shit. “The Bane family took me into their services as their personal concubine. Green’s Tavern is owned by them. I’m their, favorite escort, you could say” She blushed. “But my mistress says I should quit and live a better life. The Banes wouldn’t allow that, and God knows what they would have done to me if you didn’t show up” She is quite attractive…. “I’m sure I can offer you something in return” Asayo squeezed her thighs together, reaching a hand out to touch my face. 

“I already have someone so, no”

“But your heart is filled with longing. I can see it in your eyes” Pretty sure it’s longing to get out of here and get back home. Jeremy smiled, walking back towards the car. 

“Giving out free services like this won’t exactly help you get away from your old life” I grunted. This lifestyle is actually a choice for most as the financial rewards are quite heavy. “But hopefully this will” I handed her a sack of coins from my last paycheck. I was going to use it for the car and PC repair but she seems to need it more. 

“Money was never an issue. I don’t need this much”-

“Start over, turn a new leaf, live a new life. Abandon all, this. I’ll even protect you from the Banes” Can I really promise that? I couldn’t even protect my own sister from them, what’s one prostitute?

“I-I’ll try. Thank you” I let out another sigh as she backed off. My eyes remained on her the entire time until she entered the tavern. 

“Nice call Jeremy. Thanks for saving things before they got too shitty”

“Nah mate tat hwas all you! Ya seem pretty worn tough. Should hwe go to a doctor?” Only if that doctor’s name is Christine Ziegler. 

“Nope. I’ll be fine” I assured. 

“Mm aight. Ya should’of taken ‘er offer tough”

“No! I could never do that to Christine” 

“I mean, y’all aren’t together, y’know? But I suppose tat’s fair enough. Wanna get some food?”

“Mhm” We picked up some burgers on the way back. 

“So le’s bring Anne and Youri back hwit us tomorrow. Youri’s already seventy-five percent ours, and I’ve been ‘ittin’ it off well with Anne so tat should be a piece o’ cake as well”

“Whatever works for you. You’re the boss” I sighed, closing my eyes and falling asleep immediately in the car. 

0