Chapter 15
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘I have access BUT there are a lot of cameras. It’s like looking through a fly’s eyes’

‘That’s fine and good. Shouldn’t be a problem for a bug-eyed tech freak like yourself’ I joked.

‘…. I hate you’

‘Anyway, tell me more. What do you see?’

‘So, the dock is semi-circularly structured. Like, it’s, it’s in the shape of a semi-circle type thing. A cul-de-sac? Oh, an omega or horseshoe shape. The bulkiest containers are stacked along the perimeter. Two large garages are located on both sides of the opening, near the tips of the omega. You know what an omega is right?’ You

‘OMG YES! Go on’

‘Just making sure. Now, the remaining containers are just randomly scattered throughout the area. But there’s an unusually large concentration in the center as well. That’s also where security’ll be the tightest. Well, I assume there’ll be security right? But then again, why would they just stand by and neglect drug trafficking’ Because:

‘This dock is owned by the Banes. They’ve had their claws in Oakholden for quite some time’ Their logo was inscribed on mostly all the containers. So, my theory was right. Shit. I quickly rolled to a side as the sword came crashing down against the ground. A second late and I would’ve died for sure. Dammit. I got up, locking eyes with the assaulter. 

“Trespassers will be violated” He informed in a monotonous tone. So the Banes really set up their personal operations here. But, why? They’re not even from this country…

“So it seems, stealth isn’t an option” I muttered to myself. 

“Trespassers will be violated” The tone and pitch was the exact same as before. I unsheathed my Wakizashi, aiming at my assailant. I flung it, only for it to crash into a container and fly far away from my reach. I groaned in annoyance, only to look and find the blade back in my hand again. Huh? Did, I, not just throw it? And miss? I shrugged, this time adjusting my aim and flinging it straight at the guard’s head. Third time that’s happened…. “Tr-tress-trespassers will-ill be- vio-lat-ed” Now he sounds like Youri… Suddenly sparks began to fly out of his head as some black substance leaked onto the floor. I rushed towards him, pulling out the sword and slicing at his neck. No, ITS neck. I dragged the body behind a container, picking up my phone in the process. No one else’s arrived on the scene yet. This mech was probably just a peripheral guard. There’s probably one designated for each specific sector of this place. I checked my phone to find multiple missed texts and calls from Roxy…

“Yeah hello?” I asked, activating my earbuds. 

“You dumbass, why were you even texting me during an operation in the first place? You asked me to be your eyes AND ears. Can’t do that when you’re glued to the phone now can I?” Hm. “Now, listen carefully. There are eight guards along the exterior patrolling a certain part. You took care of one of the central ones. They seem pretty weak and basic, so if I were you, I’d take them out one at a time. BUT since you are kinda in a rush, you could just finish off one or two that come in your way, then head to the main event. You shouldn’t waste too much time. I don’t want you getting overpowered or overwhelmed out there. Otherwise it’s totally up to you” Wait a sec.

“Rox, I’ll be bringing back a sample of these mechs with me too. There’s something I want you to check out” These are, Orion mechs… Why the hell are they providing the Banes with security? Is it just business? Didn’t Velec say we have the full support of Orion? On the bright side, they’re pretty standard and basic, so it won’t take too much effort to destroy them. 

“OH YES PLEASE DO!” She exclaimed, tearing apart my ear drums. 

“Mmm” I winced. “How many guys do you see in the center? Like, where the deal’s going on?”

“Oh I can’t wait to get my hands on those mechs. There’s just so many things I want to do to them. Can’t wait to run through their diagnostics and break them apart, examining every little piece of them. I just want to feel and understand, it’ll be”-

“Roxy?” Her rambling’s always been kinda cute so it never really bothers me, BUT THERE’S A TIME AND PLACE!

“Hm? Oh yeah sorry, got distracted” I can see that. “Umm there’s about five to seven. Wait, two more are approaching. Yeah there’s ten in total” What? “Ten confirmed. Eight are humans, but one of them has two mechs with him. Can you bring those back with you too? They’re a bit advanced and I need one intact” She requested. 

“No? I mean, I’ll see. It depends on so many things. What should my plan of attack be?”

“You’re asking me? I assume you’re gonna go straight for it right? Take care of the seven guys crowded around the container. The guy with the two mechs seems to be of some importance. It’s like they’re his bodyguards”

“Soooo, shouldn’t I focus on him first?” This is taking way too long. I can’t afford to mess up right now. 

“I mean, you can try but the other guys are unnecessary. It’s better if they’re out of the way” 

“Wait, can’t you do something about them with your powers?”

“I, could hack the mechs and make them take care of everyone else but” BUT?

“THEN DO THAT!”

“But it’ll damage the mechs. I want them intact”

“Just ask Orion to give you a sample, or talk to Tyrone” I snuck behind a few containers, getting close enough to see what was going on in the critical area. 

“Only for you” She sighed.

“Hm?”

“OKAY FINE. I’ll hack them” The tech geek groaned, using her ability to take control of the two mechs. They began firing at the cluster of 7 people amassed at the container, finishing them off instantly. “I’m gonna deactivate them to spare them any damage” The seemingly VIP got caught in the crossfire too.  

“Nice work” Before I could step towards the container, two more mechs appeared. I threw my Wakizashi at the nearer one, piercing its head effectively. I pulled the blade out, slicing at the neck as I decapitated it. Oil and sparks flew out in all directions. The second focused its attention on me, equipping its, ROCKET LAUNCHER? My eyes widened as I quickly dashed to the left, the projectile missing me by inches. 

“Eden for fucks sake stop being so goddamned reckless! Get behind cover” It felt like a frustrated older sibling watching their younger sibling play a game. Except I’m the older one and if I die, it’s game over. There’s no way it would normally use heavy firepower when I’m this close though. Surely it should be better programmed than that. It also took several seconds to reload. I took advantage of that, dodging each rocket before getting close enough to stand face to face with it. “God that was so stressful” She groaned. “Remember don’t destroy it. I need it intact. There should be a cord running from its chin down to the left breast plate. Just unplug that and it should do the job”

“Can’t you just deactivate it yourself? And besides we already have those other two you took care of” I did as she asked, watching with satisfaction as the mech fell before me. “Alright done. Now time to obtain the sample”

“EDEN LOOK OUT!” Roxy cried. I turned, only to get struck point blank by a blast of fire. Thank god I always wear my armor beneath normal clothing. I yanked off my singed clothes, looking up to find myself face to face with the alleged VIP. Seems bullets weren’t enough to get the job done. His hair was burning bright red, as flames surrounded him all over. A fire user, the world’s in no short supply of those. 

“We meet again, Teufel” What did I do to deserve a nickname like that? Oh right, there’s a very good reason the Banes hate me. Wait, he recognizes me?

“I take it you’re with the Banes?” The others all seemed to have died, meaning he’s the only superpowered person here. Is he some sort of enforcer? Was he the one selling the drugs or buying them?

“You really need a reminder?” His hair changed to a deep sea blue as water now surrounded him. He unleashed two waves which I barely managed to dodge. “You’ve gotten better since we last fought. As troublesome as you are, you’d make a good asset” What the hell is he even on? I dodged again as he sent three more waves in my direction. Dammit! I’m way in over my head here. 

“Eden, I think you should pull back” Roxy advised. She’s right. I have no abilities and can’t possibly fend off against someone like hi- Wait… This, this is the same enforcer I fought back then. The one that kicked my ass and left me for dead. Christine just happened to stumble across me that night and patched me up. That’s when she found out about the life I had gotten myself into. This guy, this fiend, was the first superpowered foe I fought. And the only one who’s ever defeated me in battle.

“I agree, but I doubt this guy’s just gonna allow that. I’ve seen too much. He barely let me live last time I fought him, so he probably has no intention of sparing me now” I whispered, scampering towards cover as I narrowly avoided his onslaught. This time he fired gusts of wind in my direction, and his hair turned a grayish white. So that’s the source of his power. Whatever his hair color is indicates the element he’s using. Red for fire, blue for water, white-ish for air, what other elements can he control? Dammit, I was not prepared for this at all. Who the hell even is he? What did I get myself into? I messed up badly. I even promised Roxy and Christine I’d make it back alive. I can’t afford to die or lose here. I stepped out of cover briefly to analyze the situation, only to find myself heaved up in the air. “This is such bullshit” I groaned, noticing a massive mound of rock protruding through the ground. There were cracks spread all over the area. His hair, it’s brown now. 

“Eden get the hell out of there!” She exclaimed as I slammed back down onto a container. I flung my arm to the side to soften the impact.

“I’m working, on, it” I coughed, spitting out a few drops of blood. 

“As impressive as your running about and avoidance of my attacks is, you can’t hope to possibly win against me. This’ll end just like last time” My opponent mocked. His hair turned red again as flames sprouted from his hands. Without even thinking, before he could do anything else, I grabbed my Wakizashi with both hands, throwing it directly at him. What seemed to be a blast of ice unleashed from the blade, freezing him completely as the weapon struck him in the chest. Huh? What, was that? Did my power just activate? I, I could never do, what just happened? The feeling felt familiar, but I couldn’t remember where or when I’ve felt this before. Either way there’s no point stressing about such things. I managed to pick myself up, dropping onto level ground as I approached the frozen enforcer.

“Eden, what the hell are you doing? This is your chance to get away!”

“I can’t. Not without the sample, not without your mechs either” I coughed, letting out some more blood as I limped forward. 

“Forget about that! Get out of there right NOW!”

“Sorry Rox, the mission comes first”

“You DUMBASS! What mission is there going to be if you die? How do you expect to continue this fight when you’re no longer a part of it? I, I refuse to allow you to die like this. Now get your ass back home. PLEASE!” She cried. Dammit, what the hell am I doing? She’s been watching every second of this. Me getting my ass kicked and nearly dying has put her through so much pain. Especially since it’s right after Jeremy fell into a coma and a few months after Ichika died… She can’t afford to lose both of us just like that. I can’t keep doing this to her. Of course she’s worried. She shouldn’t have to cry over me.

“Roxy, I’ll be ok. I promise. I swear to you, I’ll make it back home alright” I assured, getting my hands on the Pitch Black 5. I stuffed it into my pockets before struggling to lift up the inactive mechs. On the bright side, they were both still in one piece. 

“Eden, leave the mech. Please. I don’t need it, I swear I don’t. I just need”- The voice got distorted as I felt my earbuds turn to ash in my ear. I didn’t get the chance to see anything as I got flung face first into the container. This time it was by a strike of lighting. No wonder he’s so hard to fight. He can manipulate any element at will, and his hair color indicates what he’s using. It’s a dead giveaway. How did I even manage to freeze him? Dammit, I hate this. Roxy’s watching. She’s probably going to watch me die. No, I can’t put her through that. I can’t keep hurting her. How am I going to protect her if I die? I refuse to get myself killed in front of her like this. God, I’m gonna incur her full wrath when I get back home. I really am stupid, aren’t I? How could I possibly have hoped to win a fight against someone like this?

“A fine attack, you would’ve killed me if you actually hit my heart. But your interference ends here interloper. For far too long have you inconvenienced my family and made us suffer at your hands. You’ve gotten in our way too many times” He groaned, throwing my blade back in my direction. OUR family? He’s more than just an associate? “But fret not, we will make a prime example out of you. Soon all of Czingrodael shall know what happens to those that fuck with the Banes. Consider this your first and final warning” This wasn’t my first fight against a superpowered individual, but it’s probably my last. There’s nothing more I can do now. No, I’m not going to die. For Christine’s sake, for Roxy’s. For Ichika’s. For my goddamned pathetic excuse of a foster father. I have to live. I need to rub my legacy and success in that bastard’s face. I can’t die before he does. I looked my foe in the eyes. He wore a mask but I could still make out a good deal of his facial features, and his natural hair color. “Any last words?”

“There’s no need for that” I spat into his eyes, grabbing my Wakizashi and throwing it at him once more. The blade remained in my hands this time as another blast of ice flew in his direction. But the foe managed to dissolve it in an instant… Dammit, even when I get a power, it’s a hopelessly useless one…

“You never learn, do you” Before anything else could happen, a figure clad in full white armor appeared. It blocked the oncoming attack of lighting heading straight towards me. The Mystery Savior lifted me up, dashing away in an instant. 

“Th-thnk you” I sighed as everything around me went dark.

0