Chapter 24
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sleep didn’t come, but I did… After several hours of agonizingly lying awake, I ultimately decided to relieve myself. Within a minute or two, I was done and managed to fall asleep normally.

I woke up again to the tune of my alarm. “Oh, it’s only six” I groaned, getting out of bed. I went to the bathroom, washing my face before heading upstairs. Youri sat at the table, eating cereal.

“Ah, you’re aw-awake!” He exclaimed.

“Barely. Only got like four hours of sleep. How come you’re up?”

“Morn-morning pray-prayer. I alw-always wake up ar-around this time. Deb-debat-debating on whet-whether I should go back to sleep or not” Fair enough. 

“Well you have morning classes so it doesn’t make sense to sleep again” I pulled out a bowl, pouring myself some cereal as well. “Oh also, I wanted to ask you; how are you finding this place so far?” 

“It’s great! Hav-haven’t been here too long but I’m enj-enjoy-enjoying mys-myself a lot. I als-also real-really love what we’re doi-doing. I now feel I have a purp-purpose in life. Ev-ever since” He went quiet.

“Something you’re not supposed to say?”

“Yes, sor-sorry. I wish I could tell you, but this isn’t the right time yet. Mayb-maybe soon. But for now just know that I’m mot-motiv-motivat-motivated to help you in any way I can. I can use my pow-powers for the good of the con-contin-continent. I feel I have a shot at red-redemp-redempti-redemption” Since when is redemption 4 syllables? “I have a chance to do the right thing, under you. There’s now some mean-meaning in my life”

“I’m” Shot at redemption? “I’m honored to have given you this chance”

“I know it puts you und-under a lot of press-pressure. That’s not my int-intent-inteio-intention at all. I only want to use my abil-abilit-abilities now for the right reas-reasons. I no lon-longer want to be a monst-monster” Monster?

“What do you mean?”

“I’m on-only eight-eighteen but I’ve done some bad things. I wish I could tell you, to get off my chest bec-because I know you’ll und-underst-understand. But this is-isn’t the right time” He explained. “I’ve bec-become so used to be-being by mys-myself, but now I know I’m not al-alone. I have peo-people I can share that burd-burden with. Peo-people who are carr-carrying their own weights and mov-moving for-forward no matt-matter how heav-heavy it gets. I take ass-assur-assurance from that, know-knowing I can now do the same. I’m strong en-enough to do so. So thank you, for giv- no, help-helping me find this strength. I dread to see where I’d be if I hadn-hadn’t met you”

“It doesn’t pressure or burden me at all. It’s not right to compare past experiences and what we go through, but I share the same sentiment as you. I felt alone when I started out on this mission, but it wasn’t until I had my friends and companions help me, that I started making a name for myself. I owe most of my gratitude to them. I’ve been able to move onto a higher platform with their assistance and guidance, and I know that wouldn’t be the case if it wasn’t for them. I have people I can trust and rely on. Roxy and Christine have been my supporters since childhood, and I met Jeremy a few years ago. And now you’re the latest addition” We still have a long way to go though. Our recruitment is far from over. 

“Thank you, for all that you’ve done, Ed-Eden. You’ve help-helped me in more ways than you could ev-ever know” He smiled.

“I’m glad to hear that” I got up, patting him on the shoulder. “And Youri, you’re not a monster. I don’t know what exactly you’ve been through or what you’ve done, but you’ve definitely changed and have shown that you want to get better. Don’t let the past eat you away. Back then, you used your powers for, whatever the reason was. Now use it for the purpose you told me about. Be better, for your own sake. Your past hatred and regret can’t control you. You can’t make the world a better place with that” I explained. 

“I’ll tell you this all som-someday soon. Thank you”

“Of course. I’m going to shower and get ready. I’ll see you after class” I stated, putting the cereal away. 

“Al-alright. Take care!”

After about half an hour, I was fully dressed and ready. Jeremy had woken up and eaten breakfast as well, while Roxy remained asleep. “Dumbass, I told you not to stay up too late” I chided, shaking her repeatedly. 

“Mmm you’re so loud. Go be annoying someplace else” She groaned. 

“If you actually slept on time, I wouldn’t have to annoy you”

“I didddd. I slept right after going to my room last night. But then I woke up a few hours later, checking out the mechs. Then I went back to sleep after working for a few hours”…

“Why the hell would you do that?”

“I” 

“Get up. You have class in half an hour. I’m heading out”

“Okayy, have fun, don’t die”

“At least open your eyes”

“Hm?” She looked up with her blue, bloodshot eyes. 

“You’re so fucking dumb. Go Freshen up” I ordered, leaving her room. I don’t have class until late so I’ll head to the library and figure out this stuff with my powers in the meantime.

It didn’t take me long to reach but when I arrived, the building was closed. An officer stopped me at the front steps as I tried to enter.

“Ah, apologies! There was a certain incident here last night and the library’s currently off limits! You can try coming back in two days or so!” The military man informed, his face beaming bright with a smile. 

“Oh, ok. Can I ask what happened?” I’m technically part of Squad 10 and 13 so I should be able to have some jurisdiction here. But this guy’s officer rank while I’m still one of the lower levels. 

“I wish I could tell you but it’s classified information, I apologize for the inconvenience” Wait, I’ve seen this guy before. He was the same one at Carver’s office on that day. Guess I have no choice but to come again later. Should I do some snooping around and find out just what happened? It’s probably not relevant to the mission though. And besides, I have more pressing matters to focus on. 

“No worries” I shrugged, walking away. Well that was pointless. Thankfully Orion and Squad 10 are supporting us so the finances are straight from their pocket. Should humble them a bit. I picked up my phone to call Jeremy. 

“’Ello! Hwat’s up?!”

“When you’re done with class, head straight to Tyrone’s workshop and get him to our side. Roxy and I will handle Aiden” 

“Oh, sure ting! Actually, can hwe bunk class? I’m kinda bored to be very ‘onest”

“Wait, that actually works in our favor. But you’ll have to go alone. Youri needs to stick with Christian a bit more”

“Right-o. Anyting else?”

“That’s it for now. I’ll let you know if something else comes up”

“Understood. Can Youri join up hwit me latah? I feel hwe make a good team” 

“Sure thing. Good luck” I stated, hanging up, only to call Roxy immediately after.

“Yeah Jeremy used his telepathy and we were able to listen. Should we go after Aiden now?” Awfully convenient…

“Not quite yet. Tell Youri to meet me when he’s done dealing with Christian” 

“Anything you need me to do? I’m bored”

“I’ll let you know” I replied, hanging up again. 

After that, I went to uni and attended my class, meeting up with the other two when I was finished. 

“How’d things go at the library by the way?” Roxy enquired.

“It was closed. Something went down there, and the military’s put it on lockdown for a few days. I’ll go during the weekend. Has Jeremy left?”

“Yes. What did you want to talk to me ab-about by the way?”

“Roxy, take the car and drive home. Youri and I will go together”

“I TOLD YOU I CAN’T”- 

“Stop using that excuse. Just try it once by yourself, trust. If you screw up, I promise I’ll teach you properly” Besides she’ll have NAV guiding her.

“Actually?!” She exclaimed, her eyes widening. 

“I mean, I don’t mind”

“YES!”

“I said if you screw up!” I called out as she ran off with the keys. 

“Is it som-something we can’t talk ab-about in front of her?”

“It’s not that. I have another assignment for you that I don’t want the others to know about” I explained. “But first, tell me how things are with your best friend”

“Oh. He op-opened up a lot more tod-today. Let me tell you what happ-happened”

 

Youri’s POV:

“Let me tell you something” Christian whispered, dragging me to the cafeteria as we went to our usual meeting place. “I haven’t been completely honest with you but now I trust you enough” He took a deep breath, looking around to make sure no one heard him. “I come from a very rich, elite family. Not sure if you know of them, since you’re a refugee; but they’re called the ‘Banes’” That didn’t take as long as I thought. 

“Nev-never heard of them” I lied.

“I’m their youngest son. But I’m, well” A bastard. “Illegitimate, as you know. Thing is, I don’t know if my dad had me with another woman, or if my mom had me with another man. I was never told my backstory. All I know is that both my parents hate me for something that isn’t even my fault” He clenched his fists. “In a way, I’m like you” HOW? “I’m willing to bet your family ties are also pretty bad. Both your parents are probably dead. Stop me if I’m wrong” I nodded. “I faked my identity and have been attending university here without anyone knowing who I really am” I’m pretty sure everyone already knows. “All my siblings are in much better places. Or, were. They were my parents favored children. But now all three are dead and it’s just me left” Eden really did a good job of mopping that family up… Wait three? He only mentioned killing two…

“I’m sor-sorry to hear that. May they rest in peace” I prayed. 

“Eh fuck that. I could care less about those pieces of crap. I was the least favored and looked down upon. I wasn’t as good as them simply cause of the manner of my birth. Similar to you” IS HE THAT DESPERATE FOR VALIDATION AND ACKNOWLEDGEMENT? What exactly does he see in me? “I want to get back at society, and my family. For now, I’m working alongside my father, but as an external source. I have no loyalty to him. Just waiting to get powerful enough to overthrow him and make my place in the world. It’d be ideal to have someone like you by my side. We’d prove the whole world wrong. I’m thinking the two of us could go far together”

Eden’s POV:

“Wait hold up” I interrupted. “So he’s basically willing to put up with his father for now, but in secret is formulating his own plans? If I had to guess, he’s probably making his own secret army in order to become as strong as them. It explains the mass distribution of Pitch Black Five. A superpowered army to get back at the Banes” He’s probably going to build his own empire. “Youri, you genius!”

“Sarc-sarcasm?” HOW?

“Literally the opposite. You struck gold” I grinned, patting him on the back. “Keep up the good work”

“Don’t you want to hear the rest of what hap-happened?”

“I heard what I had to, don’t worry. Obtain more info from him and try to see if he has a list of those he’s directly sold the drug too” If he’s building an army, OBVIOUSLY he has it written down somewhere. “Don’t ask if you can see it, just try to find out if it exists” 

“Ok-okay. But I still don’t ful-fully und-underst-understand. Please at least tell me what’s on your mind bef-before com-commit-committing me to it”

“I’m trying to differentiate between natural born power users like you and Roxy, and those who got their power via other means, like Jeremy. I don’t know what I classify as to be honest” I’ll figure that out when I go to the library. 

“Ah alright. That makes sense. Though I’m not a natural born user either. Oh als-also Ed-Eden” He paused.

“Yeah?” He suddenly grabbed my hand and began shaking it vigorously. Wait, he was given his powers?

“I know I prob-probab-probably say it a lot, but I real-really am glad I met you. And I’m grat-grateful to be a part of all this. I can’t thank you en-enough. With you, I have a purp-purpose in my life, and I look for-forward to where we go from here” Youri remained smiling the entire time, not letting go of my hand at all. Quite odd, to say the least. 

“Mhm, of course. You never have to thank me” I smiled back, waiting for him to let go of my hand. “I’m glad you’re a part of the team”

“I knew you were the right man to fol-follow. Oh and als-also, I’m sor-sorry” Youri finally let go of my hand. 

“For” I asked, clutching my chest immediately after he let go. His hand started glowing as I felt a fiery sensation surge throughout me. I fell on the ground coughing out black smoke.

“The truth ab-about my pow-powers. I did-didn’t have the heart to do this ear-earli-earlier, but now I knew the time was right. Please don’t hate me” And with that, he walked away as the intensity and heat of the pain began to increase. 

“Youri, you” I let out, collapsing to the floor as my vision blurred.

Part 1 End

0