Chapter 3: A New Path Beckons
10 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3: A New Path Beckons

Returning to The Enchanted Emporium, Temko carried with him the weight of his impending doom and the daunting task that lay ahead. The familiar scent of enchantments and the sight of magical artifacts no longer brought him comfort. Instead, they served as a reminder of the curse that bound him and the consequences of his past actions.

His parents, Hiroshi and Aya, stood behind the counter, concern etched across their faces. They had been waiting anxiously for Temko's return, eager to hear about his encounter with Morana and the potential solutions to his curse.

As Temko entered the store, his eyes met his parents, and he could sense their worry. He took a deep breath, steeling himself for the difficult conversation that lay ahead. With a heavy heart, he began to explain the situation he found himself in.

"Mother, Father, I have faced Morana," Temko spoke his voice tinged with both resignation. "She revealed that I have only three years to live unless I retrieve the crown of the Demon King from the treacherous Demon's Realm."

A gasp escaped Aya's lips, her eyes welling up with tears. "Oh, Temko, how did it come to this?" she whispered, her voice filled with a mixture of sorrow and regret. "We never imagined that your mischief would come to this."

Hiroshi placed a reassuring hand on Aya's shoulder, his eyes filled with understanding. "We must face the reality of our circumstances," he said, his voice steady and calm. "But there may still be a way to navigate this treacherous path and find a solution."

Temko's gaze shifted between his parents, his heart heavy with guilt. "I understand the gravity of my actions," he confessed, his voice filled with remorse. "I have put our family in a difficult position, and I'm determined to make amends."

Aya wiped away her tears, her voice quivering. "Temko, our love for you remains unwavering," she said, her words filled with both warmth and concern. "We will do whatever it takes to support you on this journey, even if it means spending our remaining money to hire a skilled adventurer group."

Touched by his parents' willingness to sacrifice, Temko's guilt deepened. He understood the weight of their words and the love they had for him, but he couldn't bear to burden them further.

"Mother, Father, I appreciate your offer, but I cannot accept it," Temko replied, his voice laced with guilt. "I caused all of this, and it's my responsibility to face the consequences. I must pursue this path on my own."

A mixture of surprise and sadness flickered across Hiroshi and Aya's faces, but they respected their son's decision. Hiroshi placed a hand on Temko's shoulder, his voice filled with a mix of pride and concern.

"Temko, our love for you knows no bounds," Hiroshi said, his tone both gentle and firm. "While we understand your need to take this journey alone, remember that you are not alone in your heart. We will always be here for you, supporting you from afar."

Aya nodded, her eyes filled with unwavering determination. "We believe in your strength, Temko," she said, her voice carrying a mother's unwavering love. "Do what you must, but always remember that you are capable of greatness."

Tears welled up in Temko's eyes as he embraced his parents, their words resonating within him. As daunting as the incoming challenges he may face, the tranquility of this moment set Temko’s heart at ease. 

Fueled by newfound determination, Temko embarked on the preparations for his upcoming journey. He carefully selected his belongings, ensuring he had everything he would need. Among his essentials were a set of durable clothes, a staff infused with mana (aptly named the Arcane Ember Staff), and a collection of magical tome books.

His tome collection consisted of volumes dedicated to fire magic, water magic, and supportive spells. However, Temko's proficiency in magic was still in its early stages. He possessed only basic fire incantations and a handful of status buff spells. In comparison to his father's intermediate level of mastery, Temko's magical skills were rudimentary at best. So, he plans to set out for his journey 3 days from today. Concluding the fateful magical fair that will change him forever, as the Toro Nagashi soars through the dark abyss looming in the sky.

Note: The lanterns can symbolize the people letting go of their past selves and getting new ones, which they will let go of the next year. The lanterns are almost always red to symbolize good fortune.

Toro Nagashi, or "lantern floating" is a traditional custom involving the release of candlelit paper lanterns into a river to symbolize the guiding of the souls of the deceased toward peace.

The number 3 is a recurring number that has different meanings depending on the context. In numerology, the number 3 is associated with creativity, self-expression, and optimism. It is also considered a symbol of the Holy Trinity in Christianity1. In addition, seeing the number 3 repeatedly can be interpreted as a sign of communication, openness, speech, intelligence, passion, adventure, and encouragement of dreams and goals.

1