Chapter 49: Detailed Plan
214 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Commander, should we continue...? Should we let the remaining troops evacuate? The operation has already failed, hasn't it?"

Inside the Hokkaido Command Center, the observation personnel swallowed nervously and questioned Sato.

Godzilla's breath attack after the jump had disrupted all their plans, and its subsequent attack had destroyed all their remaining military vehicles.

At this point, they no longer had the means to attract Godzilla's attention.

"No, continue. There should still be a small number of troops left after that attack, right? Let them charge towards Godzilla in batches and see if it works."

Sato chose not to order the frontline troops to retreat but instead decided to continue with the remaining troops launching suicide attacks against Godzilla. He wanted to take one last chance at the possibility that remained.

He asked the observation personnel how many troops were left, and after verifying the number from the map's remaining red dots, the soldier nervously continued:

"Well... Yes, sir. But we don't have enough weapons to divert Godzilla's attention anymore... Relying solely on humans..."

"Just relying on humans is enough."

Sato interrupted the soldier's words.

"This operation was never one with high hopes from the beginning. If you think their sacrifice is of little value, you should have questioned me when they joined or when I proposed this operation."

"Do you know that the generals from several other regions have already left after the battle began? They all knew that this was an almost impossible battle to win. Even General Ivan left after checking that we didn't force others to participate."

"Yota-kun, this battle has been like this from the beginning. There were no declarations of victory or guaranteed success rates, and even whether other weapons apart from the railgun were used or not was not necessary."

"Our goal has always been one thing: to get Godzilla to face the railgun, and then shoot with certainty at a completely fixed angle."

"Failure in the operation is not a problem. As long as we still have lives in our hands, there's still a chance! Since the railgun hasn't fired yet, we haven't exposed ourselves, and we still have a chance for one last strike."

"Understood? From the beginning, this operation has been like this. The support of military vehicles and aircraft only increases the chances of success, it's not a necessary condition."

"If you understand, then keep watching, keep watching the remaining troops in their battle."

"Watch their final struggle."

The focus of the operation was never to defeat Godzilla with conventional weapons.

It was about luring Godzilla to the right position, facing the right direction, and targeting the right individuals for an attack.

As long as Godzilla was in a location with no obstacles between it and the railgun, facing the railgun's direction, and breathing with a completely fixed angle.

Then the railgun could fire a pre-shot that would hit Godzilla's throat while it was breathing, disrupting its breath and causing it to implode.

It sounded simple but was incredibly challenging to execute. Because Godzilla's position during the breath attack had to be precisely determined.

Not just the direction, but the angle, height of its head, and the position of its body all had to be precisely determined, not just at that moment but several seconds into the future.

This made the initial plan of sending an unarmed transport plane to attract Godzilla impossible.

Why? Because Godzilla's non-charged breath in the concentrated state had a range of only about 20 kilometers, and outside of this range, Godzilla wouldn't aim.

It couldn't aim.

Aiming required Godzilla to target humans point-to-point, but once the breath dissipated, there was no way to achieve a point-to-point attack.

So, in order to make Godzilla target the transport plane, it would have to be within Godzilla's 20-kilometer range. However, this was impossible because Godzilla's focused breath had a range of only 20 kilometers, and anything outside that range would be engulfed in a flame storm, making the transport plane unable to withstand such an attack.

Even if they pre-positioned the transport plane behind a mountain that could withstand the breath, there was still a new problem. How could they ensure that Godzilla would come within their 20-kilometer range?

Godzilla was unpredictable. Why would it insist on targeting a single transport plane? If they had only one transport plane, what gave them the right to make Godzilla come specifically for it? Also, they didn't know Godzilla's movement trajectory, so they couldn't set up an ambush in its path. So, if Godzilla didn't come to them, they had no way out.

To address this issue, they had no choice but to increase their stakes and have enough human forces in the sniper position to force Godzilla to come.

The final battle plan came to this, and now... it had completely failed.

No, it couldn't be said it had failed completely. At least, there were still some transport planes within Godzilla's 20-kilometer range. Through them, victory was still possible because the railgun's sniper bullet had not been fired yet.

There was still a chance to turn things around... right?

In the scene, Godzilla kept destroying the approaching transport planes. It seemed to be getting annoyed by the repeated approaches and, in the end, jumped again, creating a super fireball below itself.

Were there any transport planes left now?


If you want to see multiple chapters ahead of this one for free, go to this link, However, if you want to see more chapters in advance than the one on the given link, you can go to my Patreon.

3