Chapter 1 – Reassignment
163 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was a 25-year-old manager of an HR department in my past life, working a good-paying nine-to-five job in the comfort of the twenty-first century.

 

It was good, nay perfect, until that day…

 

On my way home from work, I tripped and fell into an outdoor sewer system. Somehow surviving the torrent, I got washed into the ocean. However, if that wasn’t bad enough, I was approached by sharks who began ripping apart fish around me. Fortunately, I survived… 

 

Until I got ambushed by a stingray, which inhibited my ability to swim. In the end, I drowned to death. 

 

Fortunately, or rather unfortunately, after the unlucky series of events, I woke up again as a baby. Although I attended church as a kid, I was never truly pious nor believed in a deity… However, this was definitely supernatural. 

 

I was reborn in the equivalent of the early 1900s, with normal loving parents. However, the caveat was that they were extremely nationalist with rich military traditions whilst also being wealthy nobles. Currying their favour was a necessity if I wanted to live a peaceful life. 

 

Despite my parent's eccentricity, which was socially normal, they had some cute quirks. It was something endearing that I'd never experienced before. 

 

So, in light of what they’ve done for me, I felt obligated to reach the passing standards of the military academy. So, I fulfilled their desire for a militaristic child, but of course, it was the bare minimum. After all, I didn’t want to attract too much attention. I hatched the perfect plan. It was a laid-back life of a logistics officer, an important position that fulfilled my parent’s ideals whilst also keeping me from the frontlines. 

 

That was the dream life, potentially enjoying retirement with a military pension. 

 

Until… a surprise attack happened. 

 

The rush of memories ended, which left me with a pounding headache. I tried to sit up, but I realised my leg was set in a cast. 

 

Looking around, I scanned my unfamiliar surroundings. I noticed that I was in a bed covered with a thin white sheet. The air was filled with the overpowering smell of alcohol. Still, these conditions were much better than that dingy fort castle.

 

“Awake I see?” A sudden voice came, startling me, “Amelia von Steinhaur?” He iterated each word, like a teacher reprimanding a child.

 

That was when I realised… He was a Major General! Major General Strauss Von Heinz of the 7th Division! A war hero known for his superb strategic acumen, he was the poster child of Waltein’s propaganda machine.

 

“Yes, sir!” I responded in haste, ignoring my minor discomforts.

 

“At ease, Second Lieutenant. You’ve just been in a rather nasty accident, and I dare say it's a near miracle that you survived.”

 

Miracle? Sure, although it was unfortunate that the bunker I was in collapsed, I don’t think it was anything that someone of such high status would wait beside my bedside for.

 

“You’re also under suspicion for espionage.” 

 

“Hmm... Hm? Espionage?!” I wake up from narrowly escaping a third life, and now I’m potentially facing the firing squad... What happened? Yes, it was illegal to steal the coffee and pocket sugar, and some disciplinary action may be appropriate, but espionage is too much!

 

“That’s right, Fort Barfen has been reduced to rubble. Only a hundred survived Barfen out of five thousand, and you… You only came back with a couple of broken bones, unlike the others,” He states condemningly, “It was no mere artillery. They've developed a super weapon that can wipe out a Division overnight under our noses.” 

 

As the Major General droned on, my eyes widened at the incredulous situation, “Shouldn’t this be… classified?”

 

“You’ve experienced it firsthand, so an explanation is reasonable. Consider it a gift; you’ll be promoted to First Lieutenant due to manpower shortages. Consider yourself lucky. Due to your family background and guarantees from several officers, you’re low on the suspicion list. You can still maintain your position.”

 

“Uh… can I have my military leave now?” 

 

That was a due right for every servicemember, especially for individuals who had performed meritorious actions. Of course, for long-serving officers like me who get injured in the line of duty, an honourable discharge would be reasonable.

 

“Leave? What an absurd thought. You’ve yet to be fully acquitted on your grounds of espionage, young lady,” He scolded, causing shivers to run down my spine, “Do you understand how serious your charge is? Not to mention, we're in a skilled manpower shortage!" 

 

I flusteredly shook my head under his admonishment. 

 

“You were in an area restricted to those ranked above Major and other related personnel. An unaffiliated rookie officer like you had no business in there. Investigations would've been faster if those bastards didn't launch an offensive right after the Barfen incident.”

 

Right... the sugar was a lie. 

 

“Surely… It can’t have been that bad?”

 

“My dear, what you’ve just committed can also be called…” The Major General leans in, “Treason.”

 

Treason… I couldn’t help but deflate at my potential charges over a cup of coffee. I knew it couldn’t be that easy, even if I had a rather good family background. This is above my stress tolerance; I thought life as a logistics officer would be easy… 

 

“But don’t worry,” He eases my tension, handing me a manilla folder, “Now that you’re involved, there’s a way to work this off.” 

 

Printed in bold text were the cliche words, ‘TOP SECRET.'  At the encouragement of Sir Strauss, I opened it. It was my reassignment order; I would be joining one of the Divisions stationed in the offensive theatre against Azir. 

 

I wouldn’t be a logistics officer anymore. I would be commanding the 203rd Crown Prince infantry regiment. Why can’t I be stationed as a palace guard and laze in the capital? Though I may not be the best at combat, I could make sure that resources were effectively used. Things are going wrong too quickly.

 

“Understood, sir!” Weakly saluting the Major General, I watched as he walked off. Although the case was serious, the presence of a Major General is already overkill, but it had to be Strauss Von Heinz of all people. Shouldn't the Military Police be the ones to handle cases like this...

 

It’s no good worrying about that for now. I just need to find a survival strategy. If I desert, I would lose it all and become a fugitive, so that’s out. All that’s left is to…

 

Use my past life’s knowledge to the fullest extent. This is my only cheat here. 

 

“I expect good things from you, Lieutenant,” I hear the Major General’s trailing voice.

 

And it would be great if this was all a dream… 

10