Chapter Twenty-One: Atlas Conteras
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We stood together on a bridge on the northwest side of Ikigai II. This is the end of the road, the X on the treasure map.

Chase enhanced his cybernetic vision, zooming in on the sign of the closest building. "Sparkling Oasis Spa and Wellness Center." He read aloud. "Are you sure this is the right place?"

I gave a decisive nod, even though I was far from certain.

Katrina shot me a skeptical look. "This doesn't look like an evil lair."

She was right. The exterior looked unassuming with its large glass windows and outdoor waterfalls, but I knew better. "Most evil lairs don't look like evil lairs from the outside."

Katrina shrugged. "I guess."

As we marched towards the spa, a couple stared us down with a menacing gaze.

I flashed my knives in their direction, daring them to attack.

"There's no need to threaten random people," Marisa scolded.

"They're working for Bionic Corp. I know it!" I signed.

I noticed the look that passed between Marisa and Katrina. They thought I was crazy. Maybe I am. I don't know if it's possible to remain sane after everything I've been through. Right now, I'm desperate for something to believe in, so I'm choosing to believe the Annihilation Code is here because I don't know what I'll do if it isn't.

I marched up to the glass door. I hesitated when I reached for the handle. Was I prepared to face whatever was inside?

Chase gave me a reassuring smile. "No matter what happens, I've got your back," He whispered."If anything goes wrong, I'll rescue you because I'm so brave and heroic."

A small smile spread across my lips and I rolled my eyes. My hero, battling Bionic Corp all by himself with no combat experience.

Chase reached out and opened the door for me. "Let's kick some ass!"

I gave a confident nod and stepped into the spa lobby.

I scanned the surrounding area, looking for proof something nefarious was going on here, but it looked like an ordinary spa waiting room. It was a wide-open room, with stark white walls and tall glass windows. Smoky gray chairs and couches formed a comfy seating area. There was a large fountain in the center of the lobby, and potted plants nestled in every nook and cranny. At the very back of the room was a man sitting behind a tall wooden desk. He was playing a game on his Holowatch instead of working. Behind him stood a door with clouded windows.

My boots made an irritating squeaking sound with every step I took on the shiny vinyl floor. So much for stealth.

The man behind the desk sprung to his feet and frantically adjusted his glasses. "I'm sorry, but we're fully booked for today! You're going to have to leave! I'm sorry for the inconvenience."

I grabbed him by the throat and lifted him in the air.

"Where is the Annihilation Code?" Chase asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about," He croaked.

I tightened my grip on his neck.

"Don't play dumb. We know it's here," Chase barked.

We didn't know anything for certain, but he didn’t need to know that.

"I don't know! I swear I don't know!" He let out a long string of coughs and then passed out in my arms.

I tossed his limp body aside like an old rag doll. His crumpled form landed in the fountain, causing a large splash. Well, he was no help. We'll have to find the code ourselves.

Katrina's eyes widened. "Woah, that was brutal."

She was right, I was brutal. Bionic Corp made me this way. Now they were going to face the monster they created. I trudged towards the door behind the desk.

Marisa grabbed my hand. "Let's get out of here. I think we're in the wrong place."

I jerked free from her grasp and swung open the door, nearly hitting Katrina in the face.

In the next room stood two staircases, one leading up and the other leading down.

I stroked my chin as I contemplated which one to take.

Chase stood beside me and rested a hand on my shoulder. "Which way to the Annihilation Code?"

"I have no idea," I confessed.

"Let's split up," Katrina suggested. "Two of us will go upstairs, the other two will go downstairs. That way, we can cover the most ground."

Chase nodded. "That makes sense."

"Who's going with who?" I asked.

We looked toward Marisa, who was shooting daggers at me with her arms crossed.

"I think she's upset with you," Chase said through our cerebral link.

I rolled my eyes. "Gee, you think?"

"I think you need some time apart. I'll go downstairs with her."

"Promise you'll take care of her for me."

"I'll protect her with my life," Chase promised. He threw his arm around Marisa's shoulders. "Come on, let's team-up."

Before he left, he turned back toward me. "Stay in touch, okay?" He tapped the side of his head, gesturing toward his cybernetics.

I nodded.

Chase and Marisa disappeared down the stairs, leaving Katrina and me alone.

Katrina bounced up and down. "Looks like it's just you and me, pal."

A thin smile crossed my lips.

Katrina waved me toward the stairs. "What are you waiting for? Let's go!"

Katrina practically skipped up the stairs, as I slowly trailed behind her. Some days I wish I had a fraction of her energy.

At the top of the stairs, there was a spacious room with stark white walls and smooth tile floors. The pungent scent of bleach and cleaning supplies filled my nostrils as soon as we stepped inside. The smell made me cringe. The back of the room was lined with shelves containing test tubes and Petri dishes.  It looked like we were in some kind of lab.

I remember spending countless hours in a lab similar to this one when Bionic Corp turned me into a cyborg. This one was state of the art. The one I spent my time in was run-down and unsanitary. It's a miracle I didn't get a bacterial infection like some of my fellow soldiers did.

In the center of the lab stood a person suspended in a vat of turquoise liquid. I took a step closer.

"Stay away from that! It could be dangerous!" Katrina hissed.

I ignored her. Upon further inspection, I realized the person was a child. They looked about twelve or so. The liquid was thick and cloudy, I couldn't make out the child's facial features, but I could tell that they weren't a cyborg. Throughout all my time in the cyborg army, I'd never seen anything like this. What was going on here?

"Hello, Curseword."

I spun around to see Vindicator leaning in the doorway.

"I thought you'd know better than to come here and challenge me, but it appears I was wrong."

I clenched my jaw. "You can't scare me anymore."

"Oh? You seemed quite afraid last night. You were trembling like a frighted child."

"My fear is justified, considering you ripped me limb from limb when I was only thirteen."

"You were a murderer.”

"I was a child! I trusted you!"

A flicker of sorrow passed through his cold green eyes. Then he shook his head, snapping himself out of his moment of sentimentality. "I did what I had to."

"Was it worth it?"

He didn't answer.

"How can you sleep at night after what you did to me?"

He gazed wistfully out the window. "I haven't slept since."

"Am I supposed to feel bad for you?"

"No." He turned back to me, his eyes hard as stone once more.

  "Is that all you have to say for yourself? I looked up to you! I loved you! I saw you as my big brother, but you tried to kill me like I was an insect under your boot." My hands trembled as I signed. I was so angry and hurt, I could barely contain it.

"That's not true!" He protested. "Tearing you apart was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. It broke me."

"I will never forgive you for what you did!"

"I don't expect you to. I would not forgive if our roles were reversed, but I'm not sorry for the choice I made."

I gritted my teeth. He tore my body to shreds when I was a child, and he wasn't even sorry. "I hate you!" I gripped my knives and charged toward him. I plunged my daggers into his chest, but they passed right through him. I stabbed him a second time to the same result.

Katrina reached into her boot and pulled out a pistol.  She fired a bullet into Vindicator's chest. The bullet phased right through him and punctured the wall behind him. "He's a hologram."

"Sorry to deceive you, Curseword. I needed to distract you for as long as possible while I go for the real prize.” He stared down at me with a look of pity. “Goodbye, Curseword.” Without another word, he vanished.

In a fit of rage, I knocked over several glass vials. I can't believe I fell for that!

"Atlas, are you there?" Chase asked over our cerebral link.

I took a deep, calming breath. "Yes, I'm here. What's going on? Did you find anything downstairs?"

Chase let out a nervous chuckle. "Yeah, we found something pretty huge. I'll fill you in later, but for now, I need you to stay calm and trust me."

"Um, okay." What was going on?

"Oblivion is in the building."

0