Chapter Thirty-One: Chase Huxley
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

One month later...

I sat at the kitchen table, sketching on my Holopad. I was conceptualizing a painting design for one of my clients. Lately, the shop has been so crowded with customers we can barely fit them all inside the workshop. Ever since Chase started posting about my art on social media, cyborgs have been coming from far and wide to commission my work. I took a bite from my bowl of Fruity Cinnamon Chocolatey Choco Chip Crunch™ cereal. "This is gross! How can anyone eat this stuff?"

Marisa glanced up from her tablet. "It's the top-selling breakfast item in North America, the UK, and New Zealand. Someone out there must like it.

I tossed the box aside. "This is probably a Bionic Corp plot to poison me."

Venus pounced on the table and began lapping up the milk from my bowl. I pushed it towards her. She can have it.

Patch rolled his eye in our direction. "You know, in my day, it was considered rude to use your Holopad at the breakfast table. My father never would've allowed such bad manners."

"But I'm working," I signed petulantly.

"Hey! Don't be disrespectful. Put it away."

I let out a deep sigh and powered off my Holopad, but Marisa continued typing on hers.

Patch crossed his arms. "That goes for you too, young lady. Shut it off."

Marisa hesitantly glanced between Patch and the screen.

"Care to tell us what's so important you can't stop for a breakfast break?"

Marisa took a deep breath. "I'm looking for Katrina."

The whole table went quiet.

Patch let out a long sigh. "Marisa, you saw the explosion. There's no way—"

"She's alive, I know it! I have proof!" She spun her Holopad around to reveal two messages from Katrina, both sent within the last hour.

Hey Marisa.

Is it really you? How did you survive?

Were you worried about me? That's cute. It warms my cold, dark, heart.

"Anyone at Bionic Corp could've gotten access to her messages after she died. We can't prove it's her," I signed, disapprovingly.

"It sounds exactly like something she'd write," Marisa argued.

She wasn't wrong. It did sound like Katrina. "Just don't do anything reckless, okay?"

Marisa waved her hand dismissively. "Of course not. You know me, I stay out of trouble, I don't go running into it like you."She pasted a false smile onto her lips, but something in her tone gave it away. She was up to something.

Before I could call her out, a loud knock sounded from the front door. My fight or flight response activated, and I jumped to attention, preparing to use my spoon as a weapon.

Venus perked up and sauntered towards the door.

"You should go answer that." Patch took a long sip of his coffee and did what I think was a wink, but it was hard to tell with the eye patch.

I tiptoed to the door and hesitantly twisted the knob.

To my shock and delight, a familiar face shot me a toothy grin.

"Chase Huxley."

"Atlas Contreras."

I tackled him into a tight hug. "I missed you."

Chase stumbled backward, trying and failing to stop himself from toppling over. "I missed you, too." He gently wrapped his arms around me, returning my embrace. That was when I noticed he'd gotten a new arm to replace the one Vindicator ripped off. This one was tan-colored and more realistic looking than his previous one, but it was still obviously cybernetic.

"I can't believe you're here!" We'd spoken every day since he returned to New Sacramento by using our cerebral link, but he hadn't mentioned coming to visit.

"I'm surprised you didn't sense me sooner." He gestured towards his cybernetics. "I sensed you as soon as I stepped foot on Ikigai II."

I rubbed the back of my neck sheepishly. "I've been kind of distracted. The workshop has had loads of new customers recently. Lately, it seems like everyone on Ikigai II wants to commission artwork from me."

"My post might be responsible for that."

"Your post?"

Chase looked betrayed. "You don't follow me on Holospace?"

"I don't use social media."

He shook his head disapprovingly. "I'm so disappointed in you." He logged into his shiny new Holowatch and pulled up his profile. He scrolled until he reached a post from a couple of weeks ago, where he showcased my entire portfolio. It currently had over 700,000 likes. "That explains a lot."

Chase got up and invited himself into our kitchen and plopped down at the kitchen table. "Hey, everyone."

Marisa barely acknowledged his presence.

Patch shot him a knowing smirk. "Chase Huxley, what a pleasant surprise."

"I had some business in the neighborhood, so I figured I'd stop by."

I pursed my lips in confusion. What were they up to?

Chase lifted the box of Fruity Cinnamon Chocolatey Choco Chip Crunch™ "Hey, this is my favorite! How'd you know?" Chase poured himself a bowl without asking for permission. At least someone enjoys this garbage.

Patch swallowed and cleared his throat. "Gee, Chase. Aren't you supposed to be somewhere?"

"We've got time." Chase shoveled the contents of the bowl into his mouth at lightning speed, then stood up and practically pushed me out the front door.

I glanced back at the apartment. "What's going on?"

"I can't tell you yet. You have to trust me, okay?"

I shot him a skeptical look. "Um, okay."

Chase fastened a soft cotton blindfold over my eyes. "You should have a little more faith in me. I saved your life, remember?"

I nodded. He had a point. I changed the subject. "How did Patch know you were coming?"

"Oh, we've been chatting. Actually, we've been putting together a surprise for you."

I couldn't believe my ears. I started to wonder if my cybernetic hearing was malfunctioning. "You've been working with Patch?"

"Yeah, I think he's starting to like me."

"Wow, that's a big deal. He hates working with others."

"I know, but his misanthropic ways are no match for my irresistible charm."

Chase led me down the stairs and into the bustling streets of Ikigai II. The lively chatter of people conversing in their own languages and the vibrant smells of street food didn't warm my heart like they usually did. Being outside put me on edge. Is this what Marisa feels like all the time? I wish I had my knives on me now. I lost them when I got thrown into the sea. I doubt I'll ever see them again. I tried to distract myself from my growing sense of dread. "I still can't believe you came all this way just to see me."

"I'd walk a thousand miles just to see your face when you see the surprise."

"Do I get a hint as to where we're going?"

"Nope. You're just going to have to trust me."

A loud crash sounded from behind us.

I spun around and held on to Chase for dear life. "What the hell was that?"

"Some idiot ran into a fruit stand with their hovercycle. People really should be more careful when driving."

I counted down backward and took deep breaths in an attempt to center myself. "Chase, have you been safe recently?"

He quirked a skeptical eyebrow. "What do you mean?"

"Has anyone threatened you or made you feel unsafe in any way?"

"Not really. Actually, I've been staying at my parents' house for a while, and they have great security, so I've never felt safer. Why do you ask? Did something happen?"

There are seven dead bodies on the steps of Bionic Corp's headquarters. I put them there. They tried to kill me, so I killed them first. I don't want to be a killer again, but they've forced my hand. I don't want Chase to know what I'm becoming. He always believed I could be better. Maybe one day I'll tell him, but not today. "No, I'm just paranoid," I lied.

I heard the distant sounds of men arguing and hurling insults at each other. It seems everyone is on edge today. Ikigai II has been docked in Launceston, Tasmania ever since the explosion, and the citizens are growing restless. We aren't used to staying in one place for long. We're travelers at heart. I validate their trepidation, but they should be grateful we didn't sink.

"So, what have you been up to recently? I want to hear everything!"

"Oh, nothing exciting. Everything's been so boring since you left." The lies kept rolling off my tongue. "I'm considering dyeing my hair a new color just to shake things up. I'm thinking about red."

Chase didn't seem to mind my change in topic. "No, I like the white. You look like a swan."

I quirked an eyebrow. "I look like a swan?"

"In a good way!"

"How does someone look like a swan in a good way?"

"I don't know, but you're doing it."

Under the blindfold, I was rolling my eyes, but I couldn't keep a smile off my face. For the first time in a long time, I felt okay.

I could feel Chase's excitement radiating off of him. "We're here! Take off the blindfold!"

I felt for the knot tied at my nape and unfastened it. The bright sun stung my eyes. I blinked several times to adjust to the morning light.

"Surprise!" Chase exclaimed. "Do you like it?"

I scrutinized the location in front of me. It was a somewhat run-down building with a hair salon on one side and a sandwich shop on the other. A vacant store sat in between the two. "You took me to a strip mall?" I tried not to sound ungrateful.

He chuckled. "No, silly. I bought a strip mall."

I shot him a baffled look. "Why?"

"I wanted to buy that empty store in the middle for you, but the real estate agent said it was a package deal. I guess I own a strip mall now."

"You bought this for me?"

"I did! I heard things were getting crowded over at the workshop, so I got you your own art studio." He waved me over to get a closer look.

I squished my face against the window to get a better view of what was inside. It was too dark to see much of anything without adjusting my vision.

Chase laughed as he unlocked the front door. "Come inside. The view's much better from the inside."

We stepped inside and Chase flipped on the light switch. I closed my eyes and took a sharp inhalation of the intoxicating aroma of fresh oil paint and wet plaster. It was what pure happiness smelled like to me. I opened my eyes and took my first look at my new workspace. Bare cherry-colored walls were complimented by black leather chairs. Brand-new brushes and unopened bottles of paint in every color imaginable lined the table in front of me.

"I hope you don't mind that it's kind of empty right now. I wanted you to pick out the decor. We can go shopping and pick some things out."

I threw my arms around him in a warm hug. "I love it! Thank you."

He let out a relieved breath. "Oh, thank God! I didn't know what I was going to do if you didn't like it. It was expensive and there are no refunds, so I'm stuck with it." He rambled.

"It's perfect."

"You deserve it."

I don't deserve it. The only thing I deserve is a prison cell, and possibly a public execution. I chose not to argue with Chase and gratefully accepted his gift.

"I have something else for you."

I gaped. "There's more?"  He was being far too generous.

"I don't know if you want these back. I know you have a sordid history with them. We can destroy it if you want, but I thought you might want it back." He pulled open a drawer and pulled out a wooden box and handed it to me. "I fished them out of the ocean when I saved you, but then I started to wonder if you'd want them back. Maybe you'd rather leave all this in the past. You know what, I'm rambling. Maybe, you should just open it and see for yourself."

I hesitantly lifted the lid, half expecting a venomous snake to jump out and bite me. Instead, I found my trusty old knives nestled into the box's velvet interior. I brushed my fingers across the handles, reacquainting myself with the feeling of them. I caught a glimpse of my reflection on the flat edge of the knives. I can't remember the last time they were this shiny, Chase must've had them cleaned and everything.

I quietly slipped the knives into my pockets. I'll need them the next time I go toe-to-toe with Bionic Corp.

Chase shot me a playful look. "Do you have time for a walk-in?"

"I usually require appointments, but I'm willing to make an exception for world-famous model and fashion icon Chase Huxley."

He pumped his fist in the air. "Hell yeah!"

I motioned for him to sit in one of the leather chairs while I grabbed my art supplies. "Have you already decided what you want?"

"You know, I never thought I'd say this, but I miss the seagull. I was really starting to like that little guy, and now I want him to be a permanent fixture on my body."

"Are you sure?"

He nodded. "If I change my mind, I can just get a new arm. No big deal." He extended his arm, and I stooped down beside him and began sketching out my design on his arm. I had to be extra careful because he fidgeted with excitement as I worked.  "Guess who just became the first cyborg model to be on the cover of Synthwave Magazine."

I pretended to think hard about it. "Adrien Kumar?"

He looked affronted. "No, it's me, dumbass." He pulled up an image of the cover to show me. "Dare I say, I'm the sexiest model that has ever graced the pages of Synthwave."

"You're being awfully arrogant, don't you think?" I teased.

"Yes, I am! Even third-degree burns can't stand in the way of my vanity. I love myself and no one can stop me."

"See, I told you, you'd be okay. Your life isn't over just because you look different."

Chase rolled his eyes. "Okay, fine, I'll admit you were right, and I was wrong. Whatever. Are you happy now?"

I smirked. "Yes. Yes, I am"

"People have been saying my look is unique, I don't know whether that's supposed to be a compliment or a sly insult, but beggars can't be choosers. Right? I've gotten a few offers from celebrity plastic surgeons to undergo some procedures to cover up the scarring."

"Are you going to do it?"

"I haven't decided yet. The scars feel like a part of me now, and I don't hate the way I look as much as I used to, but I have my career to consider. Not many places are hiring models that look like me."

"I know you'll do what's right."

"And here I was hoping you'd have all the answers."

"You're a grown-up, Chase. You need to make these decisions for yourself. I can't tell you what to do."

"Being an adult sucks, dude."

We talked and laughed for several minutes until I felt a wave of sorrow abruptly wash over Chase.

"What's on your mind? Don't try to hide it. I can feel your sadness."

"You're going to hate me if I say it."

"Why don't you tell me, and then I'll decide whether or not I hate you."

He let out a long sigh. "I miss Mason."

The sound of his name made me freeze in place. A drop of paint dripped off my brush and splattered onto Chase's arm.

"You're upset with me. I knew it! I shouldn't have said anything."

I wiped up the mess I'd made on his arm. "I'm not mad."

"It's just that he was my best friend, or at least I thought he was. When we were talking and joking, it reminded me of hanging out with him, you know? I know he was a terrible person, but I still cared for him. I didn't want it to end this way."

I gave his arm a reassuring squeeze. "I understand. I cared for him once. He was easy to love. He took care of people, and he always did what he thought was right. I can't blame you for missing him because for a long time, I missed him too."

"Does it ever get easier? Losing people,  you care about?"

My memories drifted to my parents. "Yes and no. There will always be hard days when you feel like the grief will swallow you whole. There will be other days when you can look back and smile at the happy memories. It will always hurt, but the scars will fade."

"How do you do it? How do you keep going after you've lost so much?"

"It's challenging at times, but I keep going to honor their memories."

I added the finishing touches to Chase's seagull. It was the perfect excuse to change the subject. I didn't want to relive my grief today. "Ta-da. You're all done. Just don't touch it, it's still wet."

Chase admired the seagull. "He's perfect. I missed him."

I missed you. I thought,  but didn't dare say. I didn't notice how lonely I was until Chase became my friend. Ever since he left, I've felt desolate. "You should stay on Ikigai II with me. I can protect you from Bionic Corp."

He let out a solemn sigh. "Atlas, I can't. My home is New Sacramento and your home is here. I still have a job."

"What about your strip mall? Who's going to manage it when you're gone? It needs you."

His lips curved upward in a solemn smile. "My strip mall is going to be just fine. I'll manage it remotely. Besides, I don't think Patch would appreciate me crashing at your place."

He was right. As much as I wanted him to stay. We belonged to different worlds.

"Don't worry." He gestured toward his cybernetics. "I'll never be far away, and we can come to visit each other all the time."

"I'm going to spam your cybernetics with pictures of cats every night."

He chuckled. "Why?"

"So, you'll know that I'm okay."

He shot me an understanding look. "Then I'll spam you right back, just so you know I'm alive."

"I look forward to it." I stared out the window as a security bot flew by. "Bionic Corp will be back, you know. This isn't the end."

Chase reached out his hand for me to take. "I know, but this time, we'll be ready, and will face them together. Side by side with guns blazing."

I clasped his hand in solidarity. "Let's kick some ass."

0