Chapter 43: Back at the Club
94 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So, after the lab blew up and destroyed everything, I went back there to see if anything was salvageable.

Unfortunately, everything was gone. I don't know where the explosion originated from, but I couldn't go back into the lab. It was all caved in, to the point that there was nothing I could do.

Which meant all the papers and research he had aside from his journal and the stone were destroyed. Although I was glad that those two were alright since I had them in my possession, I was a bit sad that the entire lab was gone now. Also, now that we're on the topic, why the hell did it explode in the first place?! I don't remember something like that happening in the novel!

There was no scene in the story where Lamel installed a security measure where he would blow up his lab to smithereens. And if there was, it would've been there!

This has got to be [Absolute Misfortune]'s doing. I don't know how, but I know that this damn talent was involved somehow in installing a self-destruct mode for the lab. I refuse to think otherwise. Regardless, with my business there done permanently, it was high time to head back over to the Veil to collect my reward. Thankfully, it wouldn’t take me long since I had a ride.

Speeding down the road, I drove what was pretty much a high-tech motorcycle. It didn’t have wheels and was relying on a form of repulsion that allowed me to hover over the ground as I steered it.

I got this baby with the money I earned working with The Black Veil. Of course, in order to not expose myself, I got Isaac to help me out so I didn’t leave a money trail.

Thanks to this, I’ll be able to get back to the city in no time. While heading back to the Veil, I enjoyed the ride and took a look around. I owned a motorcycle back in my previous life, and it was a pretty fun experience. With this bike, it was amazing.

It was a little difficult to use at first, but after getting used to the controls, I soon got the hang of it and was driving like a natural. Though there were times when my cursed talent would interfere and I'd fall off the bike like a complete amateur.

But, I got used to it and kept going.

…Now I want to drive a ship. Unlike with a motorcycle, I have never really tried something like a plane or helicopter, so that would be a little more difficult.

But still, that would be so cool! Maybe I should invest in one? Compared to this Hovercycle, a flying ship was way more expensive. I need to be rich like Naomi in order to buy one…

Of course, there's also [Absolute Misfortune] to consider. There's no way I can fly one without that thing causing issues. Well, that’s a thought for later, since I finally made it to the nightclub.

Before heading inside, I needed to park my bike somewhere, so I went to The Veil’s garage, where a lot of members keep their vehicles here. I was able to park it here since I had a business arrangement with Isaac. That and he just let me regardless.

Parking my Hovercycle with the other vehicles inside, I left the garage and entered the building connected to it, leading into the Nightclub. As I entered, I was slightly overwhelmed by the loud music and flashing lights as usual.

I wasn’t much of a party person in my old life, and this new life was no different. Everything was just too loud and too crowded. There were people dancing all over the place, making it hard for me to move. That and the blaring music was practically rupturing my ears.

Doing my best to ignore the noise, I headed straight to the bar counter. As I did, the bar waitress from before noticed me and greeted me with a smile.

“Hello, sweetheart! Here to see the boss?”

“Yes…” I said while nodding my head.

“Just go on in the back,” She pointed her thumb over to the back door. “I think he’s expecting you, anyway.”

I thanked the bar waitress as I walked over to the backdoor. Opening it up, I went through the door and down the hall, passing by all the other doors on both sides.

I was a little curious about what was behind them, but I knew better and minded my own business, less I wanted to get in trouble. So, ignoring the other doors, I went on to the door at the far end of the hall.

Once I got there, I opened up the door and saw Isaac Crane inside.

As I entered his office, I soon realized that he was currently on the phone with someone on his slate. Isaac soon noticed me and motioned me to hold on for a moment, so I simply sat down in my chair and waited.

Although I looked uninterested in his conversation as I ignored him, I was actually listening in a little to see what he was saying.

“Yes, I know that this is a problem, but I have my hands full here, Ma’am. I-I am aware of the recent attack, but as I said before, no one here is likely going to take the job. Especially when it's those bastards…y-yes, I-I…I understand. I’ll do what I can. Yes, thank you…”

After finishing up his conversation on his Slate, he placed it down before sighing deeply. It was clear that something was going on.

“Hah…damn it all…” He swore while pinching the bridge of his nose in frustration.

“…Trouble?” I suddenly asked, catching Isaac’s attention.

“It’s noth…” He was about to play it off but hesitated before confessing. “Actually, We’re currently having a bit of trouble dealing with a certain group. What do you know about a group known as Nemesis?”

The moment I heard the name, I figured out what was going on…Nemesis has made their move.

“…I know that it’s some kind of terrorist group, but aside from that, not much,”

“Yes, they are a terrorist group,” Isaac sighs. “And like any group of rebels and radicals, they’ve been causing a lot of problems for us. Those bastards attacked a few of our branch buildings and stole a large amount of our money. It’s becoming a bigger issue than we first realized.”

I remember that. It’s said that Nemesis didn’t discriminate when it came to attacking people, and they would often go after The Black Veil since they have a lot of money and materials that can be stolen.

Although Nemesis was a terrorist group like Ouroboros, their goal was different. What they wanted was to spread chaos and disorder on the world, and to hell with rebirthing the world.

They’re pretty much just a group of anarchists. And you’d think that they have nothing to do with Ouroboros, but…they’re connected in a lot of ways.

Ouroboros wasn’t really addressed as the main antagonist at the beginning of the story. It was stated that Luke wanted revenge against them and that was his goal, but it never once told the readers that they were the final boss.

It could've been implied, but it wasn't concrete. They could've been just side villains to help build Luke's character to go after the real bad guy and whatnot.

That’s where Nemesis comes in, where they make a big scene in one of the arcs and Luke starts going after them due to them being terrorists just like Ouroboros. It wasn’t explained later on in the story that Nemesis was actually just a front for the true antagonists.

They were created by Ouroboros so that the anarchists can cause chaos and gather all the attention on themselves so that their makers can do what they want without getting caught or suspicious.

And when Luke finds out about this, he then begins his warpath to stop these guys once and for all.

Of course, Luke won’t find out about this until after the Academy Sage when he becomes an official Savior. So, until that truth bomb comes out, this chaotic group is the current enemy.

I didn’t expect to hear about Nemesis like this. The reason why is that they don’t make an appearance in the novel until the second main story event.

There was talk about them causing trouble in news articles and blogs, but aside from that, nothing. They don’t officially become part of the story until the second event.

“The boss is getting annoyed by this group of radicals attacking our branches and wants us to try and do something about it. A few executives are trying, but these guys aren’t that easy to deal with. It’s getting to the point where…she might have to interfere.”

The Boss…I knew who he was talking about.

He was referring to the current leader of The Black Veil organization. The one who manages all of its affairs and is one of the most powerful members of the group; Scarlett Merrick. A character I knew well because…she was an original character I made for the author and novel.

Though, she never made an appearance in the story until much later, when Luke starts causing issues for The Black Veil and she has to interfere. While she is seen as an enemy at first, she later becomes an ally to Luke, assisting him in dealing with Ouroboros since those bastards were giving her problems. That, and Scarlett and Luke were connected to each other through his master, Scathach.

This is honestly the first time I’ve heard about this. I knew that Nemesis would attack certain branches of The Black Veil, but the novel didn’t really go into that much detail about it.

Still, hearing about Scarlett this early in the story was…a bit concerning. She doesn’t show up in the second story event, but I couldn’t shake off this sense of anxiousness. Like she was somehow going to be involved…

And knowing my cursed talent...it's definitely possible.

And if she does…how the hell do I handle that? This isn’t like I’m dealing with the manticore. If anything, it’s like I’m facing off against The Living Armory super early.

No amount of planning could prepare me for that. Fighting her was out of the question and reasoning with her was plain stupid due to her carefree and rebellious nature. She’d think I was just some lowly student that was bothering her, and she’d probably kill me if I annoyed her enough.

The only way I could possibly keep her from ruining the second arc is by taking her attention off of Nemesis by making her interested in me. I know certain secrets within the novel, so my plan would be to get her drawn into something that she can’t ignore.

I can think of a few ideas on what I could tell her, but all of them will end up in me getting kidnapped by that woman and interrogated. And I don’t really want that.

Maybe I should send a letter to her and get her to do something else, like making her go on a wild goose chase. Then again...that could come back to bite me in the ass later.

Knowing Scarlett, if she ever found out...I'd be screwed.

I’ll have to work on that impossible plan just in case Scarlett does appear…though I pray that’s not going to be the case.

“Here,” I quickly reached into my pouch and pulled out some of the vials of Trolls’ blood, and gave them to Isaac.

“Ah, yes, the bounty,” Isaac groans before grabbing the vials. “I’ll wire transfer the money to you shortly.”

“…Only do half the total amount,” I told him.

Hearing this, Isaac looked a bit shocked that I didn’t want all the money from the trolls' blood.

“A-are you sure…? I-If this is about Nemesis-“

“Don’t get the wrong idea,” I coldly stated. “I’m doing this so our business arrangement doesn’t get complicated. You guys are likely having money troubles, so I can hold off a little on getting my reward.”

The Black Veil is going to suffer quite a bit from Nemesis’s actions, meaning I likely won’t be able to get as much money as usual. So, I’m only being generous so nothing can destroy my relations with Isaac and his group.

I need them…just as much as they need me.

“T-thank you…” Isaac bows his head.

“Don’t mention it,” I said in a stern tone. “I’ll be going now.”

Getting up from my chair, I went over to the door to leave Isaac’s office. Since I was done with Illegal Hunting for the moment, I now needed to focus on Nemesis and the second main event.

That meant I had to be ready to go to the mall soon.

9