Seventh Interlude
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As always, there will be a temporary break after each interlude while I make final polishes to the next arc. 

Thanks for reading! I'd appreciate it a lot if you share my story with others or write me a review. Visibility is always a great motivator!

Meeting notes from the Fallen Star Pavilion's deliberations, 21st day of the second month of Spring's Blessings, in the year 1425 of the Sun

 


Participants

  • Head Scholar ZuanBing
  • Scholar Eida (Cartography)
  • Scholar Norra (Cartography)
  • Scholar Tryp (Accounting)

 

Agenda

  • Updating maps after the To-Be-Named battle near ZhiXia City
  • Cost of Materials
  • Discussing the responsibility of naming the lake (?)
  • Future planning

 

Meeting Notes

Updating Cartography

Scholar Eida commenced the meeting by addressing the need for updating all maps due to the recent battle in and adjacent to ZhiXia City. Several rivers have been created, a new lake formed, and parts of the Slumbering Forest were demolished. The Cartography department has expressed their concern about the substantial task ahead.

Maps currently in progress will need to be considered for salvaging. The scope of the geographical changes is relatively contained to the South-Eastern area of ZhiXia City. Scholar Norra cautions against maps being updated too swiftly in case some of these rivers or lakes do not last. No name was determined for the largest lake, though scholars with expertise have weighed in with calculations deeming it unlikely to dry up. The Cartography department considered delaying creating new maps, but the importance of Sanctuary necessitates accurate maps for pilgrims and worshippers.

Response: Head Scholar ZuanBing indicates he will confer with the other Head Scholars on whether or not this endeavor is worth stopping.

Cost of Materials
Scholar Norra raised the issue of the considerable expenses involved in producing and distributing updated copies of the maps to all of the Cities. This point was echoed by Scholar Tryp, who has already done an estimated cost for updating the maps. There was a general consensus that funding such an unexpected project would prove challenging for the Pavilion's expenditures.

Response: Head Scholar ZuanBing acknowledged the financial burden but emphasized it may be an expense that must be undertaken in order to remain committed to the accuracy of and public faith in the Pavilion's cartography. He stressed the importance of providing accurate information to the people, citing the Pavilion's First Law.

Considerations for the future
Scholar Norra suggested asking the Empire's Titled Ones and the Whale of ZhiXia to be more mindful of the environment in future conflicts, and to avoid such extensive geographical destruction or creation. Scholar Eida expressed support for this approach, stating that raising awareness with Titled Ones could potentially reduce the need for frequent map updates. The Cartography department is wary of combat escalation, which would result in wasted materials and maps becoming obsolete by the time they are sent out. They provided the Pavilion's records as evidence this was a common occurrence during the War of Crowns.

Response: Head Scholar ZuanBing expressed noncommittal support. He said that it was an idea with merit, but crucially required delivering such a message to these Titled One. When asked if the Cartography department would volunteer, Scholar Norra and Scholar Eida suggested asking Head Scholar Panmoru.

 

Action Items

  • Until instructed otherwise, the Cartography department is to continue their duty of updating the maps. The Head Scholars will determine if current events indicate a need for pausing map updates and giving the external forces time to settle down.
  • Head Scholars ZuanBing and Lauryn will work with the Accounting department to explore potential sources of funding to support the Cartography department's unexpected need for more map-making resources.
  • The Cartography department has Head Scholar ZuanBing's permission to draft a letter to the Whale of ZhiXia and the Empire requesting they be mindful of the environment when they engage in combat. Head Scholar ZuanBing stresses that the letter does not require his signature as the idea originates from the Cartography department. He has agreed to pass the idea to Head Scholar Panmoru when the Head Scholar exits mourning.

Slice of (Scholar) life?

Interludes are a great way for me to jump a bit off the established narration style and tone to try different story telling mediums. I hope you enjoyed this one :)

The next chapter can be found on my Patreon if reading ahead and supporting an author is up your alley!

0