Chapter 2
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 2

The months passed, moving from a brutal winter into an inviting spring.

During that time, Henry and I became fast friends. Even with our busy schedules, we would often chat on the side, keeping the boxes on our computer screens small, so our bosses, or anyone else, would not see us typing away. Sometimes we would go to lunch, never alone mind you, but Henry would tag along when my cubicle took advantage of the emerging sun and warmth to leave the office.

Suddenly, I was very popular.

Women I had not spoken to in years, and others that I didn't even know, were my best friends, and pretended to be part of my group just to meet him. My style of dress was modesty over flashy, so I would never wear the revealing clothing they chose- short skirts and painted on dresses- but I suppose a peacock had to show their feathers.

Yet, Henry never seemed as into them as he was in just talking to me.

He would often tell me about his time in the service, things my husband would rarely confide. I saw the pain in his eyes when he spoke from his heart about what he had done, the hurt it caused to protect the country. I listened as best I could, keeping my opinion to myself when he thought I would think ill of him for his actions.

From experience, I knew soldiers really just wanted someone to get things off their chest. That behind their tough exterior, they were still human beings that craved support long after the mission was accomplished. 

Tried as I might though, I could never get Henry to meet Shawn. Something would always come up with Henry, or their schedules clashed in some way. Yet, by spring, I had the perfect opportunity to get them in the same room.

All it took was some coaxing and wile.

“Come on Shawn,” I whined, before sipping on the caffeine- free hot cocoa from the cup that I held with both hands.

Shawn was going through the kitchen cabinets, a t-shirt hanging above the extra pounds on his gut, searching for a pop tart that I had never seen, far in the back. Even though he lamented the rippling six pack he had as a Ranger, I sort of liked the extra weight. It gave him that dad look like my own father.

“A gender reveal party?” He said behind an open cabinet door, his voice echoing inside. “Don't you think that's kind of cringey?”

“You can just say cringe,” I said, smiling over the cup.

He stepped back, pulling out the silver package that he bit open with his teeth. The dark hair on his head had receded, leaving behind a smooth, round scalp. His jaw was still square besides the additional weight, and there was still a childish twinkle in his dark eyes.

“Just cringe? Is that how the kids are saying it?” he asked, looking at me as he tore open the top of the package with his finger.

I shrugged, still smiling as I took another sip, leaning against the sink with my hip.

“Guess I better pay attention if I want to stay hip for him, huh?” Shawn said as he walked over and gently rubbed my stomach that was finally beginning to show.

“You sure it's a boy?” I asked.

Shawn's head moved below my hands.

“Of course it's a boy,” he said, placing a peck on the t-shirt that was stretched against my stomach. “We need a boy first so I can teach him to protect his sister and kick other boys' asses.”

“Well, we won't know until we have our reveal,” I said, singing the last word.

Shawn stood up; his face curdled as if he smelled something terrible near my stomach. Even though Shawn could be personable and outgoing, we had chosen that rural home because he preferred to be alone if there was a choice. Shawn really only tolerated his Ranger buddies to stay over for any amount of time, which usually devolved into a teenage sleepover if you imagined beer was allowed.

“You really want to do this?” Shawn asked, biting off the top of a pop tart.

My nose wrinkled up, imagining the taste. “You're eating that raw?”

“Why not?” he replied nonchalant, taking another bite.

“Shawn, I can hear the crunch from here. I have no idea where you even found that thing. Who knows how long it's been sitting in there!” I replied, snatching at the package that he deftly moved out of my reach.

He was still stocky from his time in the service, even though his physique had slipped a little. Although I was taller than the average woman, Shawn stood at six foot two, with long arms that kept the rancid package away from me.

“Back,” he said, gently pushing me away with one arm, standing on his toes to stuff the remainder into his mouth.

“I'm having a child from a child,” I said with a laugh, resigned to letting the man-child get sick off the stale pastry.

“Don't change the subject,” he mouthed, cheeks puffy from pastry. I offered him my cocoa, which he drank and made another face from the lack of sugar. “You want to bring people here just so we can sit around a box and whoop and giggle when it explodes a color?”

“Well, it doesn't sound fun when you say it like that,” I replied. “There will be games--,” his face soured even worse, “and food--,” that softened his countenance, so I pressed my advantage. “And we'll get gifts and diapers. You know how expensive diapers are. Plus, we can have fireworks! Make it a show!”

“True,” Shawn nodded, digging out the pastry between his teeth with his finger. I didn’t know which part he agreed with, but it was a positive reply at least.

“And you can finally meet Henry,” I said, leaning my back against the sink to take another sip of cocoa that was going cold.

“Ah, the great and handsome Henry,” Shawn said with a grin as he leaned his back on the granite island across from me.

“Who said he was handsome?” I asked.

“You always get a certain look in your eyes when you find a guy attractive.”

I stiffened, “No I don't.”

“Indiana Jones,” Shawn replied. I tried to keep my face perfectly still. “See, there it is.”

“Oh stop,” I said. I rubbed my stomach, looking at him. “I just think you two should meet. I'm not sure he has anyone here, and I think he could use some friends that understand what you all went through.”

Shawn took out the second pop tart, crumbling the foil in his hand. “Just because we both served doesn't mean we'll automatically be friends, Linda,” he replied, before taking a bite.

“I know. But he's a guy, a nice guy, so I want to invite him out of his house, which I'm pretty sure he never leaves. If you two get along, great. If not, no harm done then, right?” I replied with a shrug. 

Shawn wiped bits of pastry off his t-shirt. “Do I get to invite the guys?” he asked.

“Absolutely,” I replied. That made Shawn smile for an instant before I said,” not!”

Shawn's eyes were set in his head while I grabbed his hand and put it near the baby.

“It's not like I don't like them babe, but you guys get too rowdy when you're all together,” I said. “ These are uptight suits and wine moms. I'm not trying to scare our guests away with an impromptu frat party.”

“I'm going to invite two,” he said, and I knew there was no point arguing when he had that tone in his voice.

“Which two?”

“Terrence and John.”

My eyebrows twitched. “Which John?”

“Simmons,” he replied.

I thought about Shawn's two picks. Terrence was the calmest of his Ranger friends, married, and with his own kids. And John Simmons at least had a long-term girlfriend that kept him sane in public.

If he had said John Cross, I would have tried to put my foot down. 

“Fine,” I sighed, before setting down the now cold cocoa. “So, we can have the party then?”

“Promise me lots of food,” Shawn replied, “and lots of diapers. And loud, loud fireworks.”

Leaning off the sink, I smiled while putting my arms around Shawn's cute, adorable neck.

“I promise,” I replied, pecking him on the lips. “Thank you.”

0